gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:15:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the Earliest Recorded Evidence of Brian's Vocal Deterioration?  (Read 16082 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2012, 05:41:25 AM »

At what point could Brian no longer do what he does on Pet Sounds, for example?
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:40:51 AM »

15 big ones. Even on The Caribou Sessions (1974) he has his head voice intact (Rolling up to Heaven).

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:48 AM »

I would say on the Spring album which would be, what, early-mid 1972?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »

His vocal on "Don't You Just Know It" is showing definite signs of strain, and that was recorded 1970.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »

Even on Sunflower, his vocals sound nowhere near what they had on Pet Sounds.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 09:01:43 AM »

I always thought his early 70's vocal sound is simply Brian growing up. It's not like his voice is deteroriated, in fact I like his Sunflower -voice more. Mellower and softer.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »

His vocal on "Don't You Just Know It" is showing definite signs of strain, and that was recorded 1970.
he had his good days and  bad days. That definitely was a bad day. thing is he didn't have good days and bad days before. so yeah ...good call

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »

I remember talking about this on another board many years ago. I remember Brad Elliott saying that Brian's voice started deteriorating around 1969. I diagree with that kinda. I'd agree with "Don't You Just Know It" - it's a little obvious there, but his contributions to Sunflower showed that his high voice was still intact. To me, he sounds fine on the Spring album. His high voice was intact in 1973 (Pete Fornatale interview) and 1974 (Jim Pewter interview) but I think it really went to the point of no return in 1975 when he was heavy into the hash and smokes and coke.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »

this thing is sunflower was recorded the year before that song. There was definitely a change around that time as his voice started to become rather reedy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »

Even the breakaway demo shows Brian's voice slowly going downhill.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

His voice had definitely begun to lose some of its luster by 1970. Whereas Carl's voice got fuller and richer as he matured, Brian's voice thinned out.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »

I always thought his early 70's vocal sound is simply Brian growing up. It's not like his voice is deteroriated, in fact I like his Sunflower -voice more. Mellower and softer.

I hear the opposite in that stage of his voice, very shrill.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »

I think the height of Brian's voice was side two of Today!. The shrillness began to creep in on summer days.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »

I think the height of Brian's voice was "Surf's Up", specifically the second part.

I guess we all have different interpretations of "deteriorate". It's hard to tell if his post-Pet Sounds' vocals in the years 1967-70 were deteriorating, or if he simply didn't record them with the care of his previous (pre-1967) work.

If you want to be technical, the songs on Sunflower were recorded in 1969 were they not?

And, if you want to be really picky, like I do, Brian was straining and thinning a bit on some of those Friends' high parts.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:44:01 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »

I think SMiLE was the peak of his super solid almost god-like professional sounding lead vocals. It's still there in '67, but you can hear a pretty big difference in quality between, say, the TV performance of "Surf's Up" compared to "Surf's Up '67". His breathing control was slipping.

It's funny, as a new fan it sounded like it changed over night on 15BO. But as you get into it, you can document the gradual changes leading to "the big change".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »

I think the height of Brian's voice was "Surf's Up", specifically the second part.

I agree.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »

And I just realized you already pointed this out. 100%. It was a slow decline afterwards, with 67 + 68 still being high quality, but not quite as special as the previous years.
MBE
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »

I agree 200 percent. Nothing until Back Home jarrs me at all.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »

I agree 200 percent. Nothing until Back Home jarrs me at all.

ahh the Eleanor Rigby aproach

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »

Personally speaking, I would probably hesitate to use the phrase 'start of deterioration' in terms of the '69-'70 sound vs. more of the noted timbral and stylistic change (less of the wondrous and sonorous "whine").

That is, when I hear the purest, most unfutzed examples of Brian in the mid-60s -- the Humble Harve recording, the Bernstein SU, the '67 Hawaii H&V  -- I really don't hear *that* much of a difference in the overall shape of his voice using Brian's best studio work in '69 and '70 (obviously the only concert examples we have from '70 are the lo-fi audience tapes where Brian sat in).

The range/purity of his falsetto on "Forever" from early '69 is still pretty impressive. The b**ted version even has that hair-raising scream by him at the end. And, his backings on "Our Sweet Love" from late '69 or early '70 still have that certain something to them (including the unreleased, mixed-out bit at the end).

YMMV of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rH4NH6MW98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzp3rfPL4k

Also, His "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" backings (and the demo for that matter) and "Games Two Can Play" from '69 are two others that come to mind. Even something like his opening line on "Feet," ('70) or something like the double-tracked "Awake" demo from '71 can still chill me.

That's not to say that there may not have had some lifestyle-induced, rougher moments on tape during that era (the aforementioned DYJKI), but...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:53:37 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
MBE
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »

I still have trouble witht he 1970 date for Don't You Just Know It. Jan just wasn't recording much yet 1973 is far more likely. Won't You Tell Him from fall of 1971 is a great Brian vocal too.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

Well, when did Brian start using cocaine?
And when did he become a heavy smoker, because I think I remember reading that he wasn't a heavy smoker in the 60s.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »

I still have trouble witht he 1970 date for Don't You Just Know It. Jan just wasn't recording much yet 1973 is far more likely. Won't You Tell Him from fall of 1971 is a great Brian vocal too.

IIRC, the first recollection I have of the '70 date was in Surf's Up (the book). And, even though it seems hard to fathom, wasn't the story that Jan's vocal was indeed laid down in '73? I guess it's just something that's stuck for all these years in light of any newer info.

*Is* there any newer info than that, Andrew?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 02:15:21 PM »

Me too. Same here. Seems more like '73 to me. I've always thought that.

'Course if you listen to the intro to California Saga, his voice isn't the strongest either, and that was 1972.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »

'Course if you listen to the intro to California Saga, his voice isn't the strongest either, and that was 1972.
he's using that same shouty voice he'd use later on.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx