gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:01:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" box set (part 2)  (Read 29955 times)
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2012, 06:15:38 AM »

If you listen to the full tape, with the songs presented in the correct order, it becomes evident that 1) Brian was very nervous, fluffing the lyrics and the chords badly in places and 2) the band reaction to the first few (personal) songs was, to be polite, muted: more honestly, they were likely thinking "WTF ?". Brian realised this, and played "Airplane" for laughs, evoking at least a laugh, and this loosened him up enough to hit "I'll Bet He's Nice" out of the park. Years of boots presenting the songs in the wrong order have obscured the fact that this demo presentation session was very nearly a disaster (for Brian).

That's very  interesting - thanks for that. I've never listened to these tracks as a complete  tape, and I didn't even know that they were a complete recording. I'm not sure I've got anything complete, or correctly ordered but I'll check and see what I've got. It sounds like the context that preceded "I'll Bet He's Nice" was pretty crucial to it's reception.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2012, 06:44:57 AM »

Yeah, never realized that before, AGD. Thanks for that.  Smiley

Good post by El Mole too!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »

What was the correct order

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »

Can't recall which one, but following one demo, there's a screaming silence, then Brian saying "well... there's another one"... and following "Little Children" Mike comments "nice... spiritual song". I think he was kidding, to judge from his tone. Oh, and his croonerizing of the first verse of "Airplane" brings to mind the way he futzes up the end of the 1974 "California Feeling".

Anyhoo, I doubt that these demos will make it to the new box.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:23:15 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »

Oh, and his croonerizing of the first verse of "Airplane" brings to mind the way he futzes up the end of the 1974 "California Feeling".

I always pictured "California Feeling" '74 as having a similar style at the end based on the descriptions we've been given. Good to know. ^_^

Also, I kinda miss that "croonerizing" on the final version of "Airplane".

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:31 PM »

Can't recall which one, but following one demo, there's a screaming silence, then Brian saying "well... there's another one"... and following "Little Children" Mike comments "nice... spiritual song". I think he was kidding, to judge from his tone. Oh, and his croonerizing of the first verse of "Airplane" brings to mind the way he futzes up the end of the 1974 "California Feeling".

Cry

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »

I agree that it shows a supportive and appreciative Mike Love with good taste, which is almost unrecognisable from the unpleasant, bullying presence with little appreciation of Brian's talents that some have portrayed him as throughout the years.

I don't really know how "some" got that picture. Mike always expresses his admiration of Brian's talents. It seems like Mike has less understanding of Brian's personal problems though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »

I agree that it shows a supportive and appreciative Mike Love with good taste, which is almost unrecognisable from the unpleasant, bullying presence with little appreciation of Brian's talents that some have portrayed him as throughout the years.

I don't really know how "some" got that picture. Mike always expresses his admiration of Brian's talents. It seems like Mike has less understanding of Brian's personal problems though.

I think he also is frustrated by Brian's personal problems too, because he misses his friend, the guy Brian was before the onset of a lot of these problems.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2012, 12:01:03 AM »

Absolutely. Check out some of the photos from the early days with the two of them clowning around and mugging for the camera, that guy is loooong gone.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »

If you listen to the full tape, with the songs presented in the correct order, it becomes evident that 1) Brian was very nervous, fluffing the lyrics and the chords badly in places and 2) the band reaction to the first few (personal) songs was, to be polite, muted: more honestly, they were likely thinking "WTF ?". Brian realised this, and played "Airplane" for laughs, evoking at least a laugh, and this loosened him up enough to hit "I'll Bet He's Nice" out of the park. Years of boots presenting the songs in the wrong order have obscured the fact that this demo presentation session was very nearly a disaster (for Brian).
Thanks for that cool little bit of info. I often wonder if a day will come when you run out of interesting pieces of information to tell us.  Grin Just out of curiosity, do you know how long the full tape is? From what I've heard it can't really be much longer than a half hour, unless there is a lot more to the tape. I've always thought it was odd that the version of Still I Dream of It on the bootlegged tape sounded much better than the version released officially.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2012, 01:33:34 AM »

I often wonder if a day will come when you run out of interesting pieces of information to tell us.  Grin

Nope - I'll just keep on making it up, as I have the last few years.  Old Man

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2012, 05:11:38 AM »

Has the entire tape leaked to the public.  How many songs are on it?  I've only heard a couple of tunes including I'll Bet He's Nice.  Despite the fact that from your description, it sounds like it was a trainwreck, I'd love to hear the tape in it's entirety.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2012, 05:15:30 AM »

IIRC, he plays Little Children, Airplane, I'll Bet He's Nice, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, Mona (full of mistakes, bless) and Love Is A Woman, but that's not looking at my itunes and I don't think i've seen a proper order.

Not a trainwreck per se, but Brian seems very nervous throughout and keeps making mistakes.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2012, 06:23:32 AM »

Also "Still I Dream Of It" and "It's Over Now" - those two aren't performed at all well, and the reception was... frosty.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2012, 08:05:18 AM »

Can we be sure people were in the room at all times? I don't recall any kind of presence at all on a few of those songs sans Brian. Like... if they weren't into them, I'm sure they would've given some kind of reaction instead of just sitting there silently staring at Brian like "What the f*** was that?"

Also, isn't one take of "It's Over Now" fairly trainwrecky while the 2nd take is pretty decent?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »

I thought the It's Over Now (with one awful take/the good one)/Still I Dream of It demos were from a different session, but I guess not? They sound different to the other songs.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »

As I best recall, this is the order of the demos:

It's Over Now
Little Children
Still I Dream Of It
Love Is A Woman
Mona
Airplane
Let's Put Our Hearts Together
I'll Bet He's Nice

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »

unless my copy is edited together from a different session, mine starts out with brian asking if the recorder is on then he plays that special feeling followed by i'm begging you please then the lineup andrew just posted.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »

"Beggin'..." dates from two years later (and is in stereo on every version I've heard) while "TSF" is from fall 1976, it's not from the 'demo presentation' session (AFAIK).

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »

ok...sounds right.....that was just the song lineup on that tape from ages ago...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:56:11 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »

As I best recall, this is the order of the demos:

It's Over Now
Little Children
Still I Dream Of It
Love Is A Woman
Mona
Airplane
Let's Put Our Hearts Together
I'll Bet He's Nice

Good to know, as always!

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »

I often wonder if a day will come when you run out of interesting pieces of information to tell us.  Grin

Nope - I'll just keep on making it up, as I have the last few years.  Old Man

Reminds me of the motto at my former place of employment  - a newspaper:
"If we don't have the facts, we'll make 'em up!"
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »

I don't understand why the demo of I'll Bet He's Nice wouldn't be included. It's nearly better than the album version, and almost everyone I know (whom isn't familiar with much of this band's discog) agrees
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2012, 01:02:04 PM »

I don't understand why the demo of I'll Bet He's Nice wouldn't be included. It's nearly better than the album version, and almost everyone I know (whom isn't familiar with much of this band's discog) agrees

It's not really an essential song by any stretch of the imagination. It's not one of those tunes where the compilers are going to be saying, "We need a version of I'll Bet He's Nice on the box!".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »

It's not really an essential song by any stretch of the imagination. It's not one of those tunes where the compilers are going to be saying, "We need a version of I'll Bet He's Nice on the box!".

That demo truly shows the genius behind that song. If this is a career spanning boxset, it wouldn't be a bad thing to use this to showcase Brian's brilliance during the mid 70s.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx