gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680999 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 11:20:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys + Wikipedia = Wrinkles  (Read 46364 times)
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2014, 04:32:33 AM »

(And yes, I am fully aware that anyone can change it anytime to something stupid. That is a risk I am willing to take)

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »

who cares about tv tropes? fix what's on wikipedia.

most articles could be doubled, or even tripled in length by anybody with access to the books by priore, badman, lambert, leaf...
bluesno1fann
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »

who cares about tv tropes? fix what's on wikipedia.

most articles could be doubled, or even tripled in length by anybody with access to the books by priore, badman, lambert, leaf...

While I do agree that the Wikipedia page does need a fix-up from the Beach Boys experts here (As well as the Smiley Smile Wiki... Whatever happened to that?), believe it or not TV Tropes is a very, very popular site (and for good reason). It gets so much activity and it would be important that the Beach Boys page is well-written.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2014, 06:54:41 PM »

The TV Tropes Beach Boys page was a huge help to me while getting into the Beach Boys. It pointed me in the direction of Holland, Love You, and was a pretty good general overview of the band.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2014, 10:30:02 PM »

The TV Tropes Beach Boys page was a huge help to me while getting into the Beach Boys. It pointed me in the direction of Holland, Love You, and was a pretty good general overview of the band.
Thank you, Mr. Corn! By writing this you scattered all doubts in deniers' heads. Never heard of this TV Tropes site before, but it seems to be very popular, like Rei said. So it's only good that The BBs page gets going there.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Corn! By writing this you scattered all doubts in deniers' heads. Never heard of this TV Tropes site before, but it seems to be very popular, like Rei said. So it's only good that The BBs page gets going there.

Speaking of which, I've just made further edits on the main Beach Boys page on TV Tropes (as well as the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and The Who, even if I barely did with the latter), adding a members list and fixing up the discography list.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »

Well, I'm no fan of smileys really, but Thumbs Up

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2014, 10:59:23 PM »

Speaking of which, I've just made further edits on the main Beach Boys page on TV Tropes (as well as the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and The Who, even if I barely did with the latter), adding a members list and fixing up the discography list.

Well, I'm no fan of smileys really, but Thumbs Up

I have just added a Non-album Singles section below the Live Discography section. Have to admit, I'm quite proud of the work I've put into the main Beach Boys page.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »

I have just added a Non-album Singles section below the Live Discography section. Have to admit, I'm quite proud of the work I've put into the main Beach Boys page.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »

LOL Mock all you want, but I have spent a lot of time putting a lot of much-needed work on not only the main Beach Boys page, but that of the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and The Doors. At least with the Beach Boys one, have a quick check and you'll see the big differences I have put in place before posting a random Medal of Valour
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:52:45 AM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »

It is the best medal you can get. And the greatest!

halblaineisgood
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2014, 10:08:46 AM »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:44:22 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »

I've had a little bit to drink so forgive me if I'm sounding a little critical/incoherent, but I honestly don't see why anyone would devote a lot time to creating an in-depth TV Tropes page. As an introduction to the group it may well be a fantastic platform to get the ball rolling, but it simply cannot compete with Wikipedia's intricate network of related articles or the ~90k page views per month that the Beach Boys' main Wikipedia page generates. If you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, even a tiny correction on the Wikipedia article will be appreciated nearly a million times over the next year. If even a small amount of us went over to the site and made a tiny contribution, this vehicle which stands at the forefront of presenting the band to the next generation could make a more professional and convincing argument for why this band deserves to be taken seriously.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »

Tv tropes is awesome. I live it and I read it as a source for my BB information. "Dennis was was a great singer and was a songwriter as well."  "Al was a great singer and was short as well". "Brian's first great song and Dennis was a good singer as well"
-tvtropes (my babe)

bluesno1fann
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »

Tv tropes is awesome. I live it and I read it as a source for my BB information. "Dennis was was a great singer and was a songwriter as well."  "Al was a great singer and was short as well". "Brian's first great song and Dennis was a good singer as well"
-tvtropes (my babe)

Right because that's what I did and not clean up the introduction, got rid of bias for any member (even Dennis), add a Principal Members section complete with every instrument each member played, update the Studio Discography section, add a Live Discography section, or add a non-album Singles section (Which BTW was Not so painstakingly hard and time-consuming to research)

Roll Eyes
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »

It looks like there's been a lot of great info added to the page, but it's running too long right now.

My suggestion: Add in spoiler tags so that they can be clicked and the long lists of albums, backing members, and the instruments everyone played (unless its absolutely essential that we know Carl played harp and tambourine) will drop down once clicked, leaving the default page much shorter so one doesn't have to scroll down very far to reach the actual tropes.

(Also, kudos to whoever added practically everyone who toured with them to the list: that's one hell of a list to compile.)

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »

agd ?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
bluesno1fann
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »

It looks like there's been a lot of great info added to the page, but it's running too long right now.

My suggestion: Add in spoiler tags so that they can be clicked and the long lists of albums, backing members, and the instruments everyone played (unless its absolutely essential that we know Carl played harp and tambourine) will drop down once clicked, leaving the default page much shorter so one doesn't have to scroll down very far to reach the actual tropes.

(Also, kudos to whoever added practically everyone who toured with them to the list: that's one hell of a list to compile.)
agd ?

Actually, that was me. Though I would appreciate it if AGD or someone else would help out with that section, and possibly fix up any inaccuracies there. I also did virtually the same thing for The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Who, and The Animals.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:04:56 PM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59:24 PM »

If someone would lead me gently by the hand to this place, I'll have a look.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »

If someone would lead me gently by the hand to this place, I'll have a look.

It's right here:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/TheBeachBoys?from=Main.TheBeachBoys
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2014, 01:59:03 AM »

How do you edit that ?  News to me that Nik Venet ever toured with the band.

Ah, I see - someone's mixed the studio cats in with the touring band. That must be sorted.

Actually, it's a real mess. Example:

Glen Campbell - bass, guitar, keyboard, vocals (1964-1967) - he didn't play on any post Pet Sounds sessions, and only toured December 1964-April 1965, so the impression given by this entry is doubly misleading. There are other omissions - Ron Brown, Putter Smith, Luther Coffee spring to mind.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:13:49 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2014, 02:05:39 AM »

Ah, I see - someone's mixed the studio cats in with the touring band. That must be sorted.

You have to sign up, which is fairly easy and quick to do.

And that section meant Touring Members and Backing Studio Musicians
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2014, 02:19:23 AM »

You have to sign up, which is fairly easy and quick to do.

And that section meant Touring Members and Backing Studio Musicians

Thanks. It says "Touring Members and Backing Musicians", with no distinction between the two. I'm off tomorrow, I'll fix it then.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2014, 05:04:01 AM »

Thanks. It says "Touring Members and Backing Musicians", with no distinction between the two. I'm off tomorrow, I'll fix it then.
That's very good of you, Mr. Doe. I don't have even a minor patience for editing work. I'll check.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »

Actually, it's a real mess. Example:

Glen Campbell - bass, guitar, keyboard, vocals (1964-1967) - he didn't play on any post Pet Sounds sessions, and only toured December 1964-April 1965, so the impression given by this entry is doubly misleading. There are other omissions - Ron Brown, Putter Smith, Luther Coffee spring to mind.

I thought Campbell appeared on Smiley Smile, he seems to be credited on the Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley_Smile

Plus Putter Smith was already added
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:16:50 PM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx