gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 01:43:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New HUGE Beach Boys Book!  (Read 13826 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »

Counting the days.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »

Good luck to you, Ian.   I know you'll sell the hell out of the book!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »

This is just the kind of Beach Boys book I've been wanting for a long time now. I can't wait!!!!  Grin A few question, if I may. Sorry if I'm being slightly too demanding of info this early, but I'm just super excited!!  Grin

1. Will the format be similar to Eric's concert guide website, with setlists for every concert(where available)?

2. Will any of the photos that sold on eBay of Dennis's final show be included in the book?

3. Will  there be any details or mention of the onstage incident between Dennis and Mike from the 1979 Universal Ampitheater show?

4. Will there be any photos of Carl onstage from the 1997 tour?

5. Will there be any photos of Carl from the 1978 Australian tour?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 01:39:55 AM »

Good luck guys I will order one now.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 04:12:01 AM »

Answers: 1) We will have set lists for some shows for each year-though not for all shows!  2) I did obtain permission to use some photos of Dennis from that Sept 1983 show-but the publisher felt they were just too poor quality to use  3) Yes of course-has to be brought up in the context of the times  4) No  5) Yes we do have some from the 78 tour
Ian
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 08:48:22 AM »

Really can't wait for this BUT just a little point Jon , would you like to send me a 'rough' copy (no rush but obviously as soon as you can) in the next two weeks would be fine so I can do a bit of proof reading , I promise I wont copy it   HONEST Grin
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »

This is a work of great research and I can't wait. Congratulations, gentlemen.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »

Really can't wait for this BUT just a little point Jon , would you like to send me a 'rough' copy (no rush but obviously as soon as you can) in the next two weeks would be fine so I can do a bit of proof reading , I promise I wont copy it   HONEST Grin
I'll send you Ian's brain in a jar and you can download everything you need.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »

all the best with this...just preordered one myself.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »

AWESOME!! Can't preorder yet on German amazon though..  Undecided
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

I just placed my order, thanks Ian and Jon!

Now, who's going to put together a similar tome for the studio history of the band?   Razz

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »

Brad Elliott.   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »

Jon,

Can’t wait to get this book, I still have that promo flyer you handed me at the Grammy Museum show. Not sure if you are still squeezing updates into this great book, but I know of a show from 1962 (with some tidbits of info from a friend):

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10275.0.html
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »

I just placed my order, thanks Ian and Jon!

Now, who's going to put together a similar tome for the studio history of the band?   Razz

Well, I plan to at some point when I have time, but I kinda hope somebody beats me to it.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 03:07:56 PM »

yeah-we never did get an answer to when exactly that bday party was and if it was Helen Stillman.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 03:14:16 PM »

What are the dimensions of it, in inches or centimeters?  I know 400 pages is in itself a big book, but is it coffee table size?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »

What are the dimensions of it, in inches or centimeters?  I know 400 pages is in itself a big book, but is it coffee table size?

Congrats Jon, looks awesome!
Thanks to all for the nice comments and orders... let it be known clearly that this book is Ian Rusten's baby and I'm just the proud uncle. Ian cultivated many years of amazing research into an impressive chronology of the group's touring career, and I just helped him polish it into a very readable and enjoyable flow. With the help of many, including certain Smiley Smilers we put together what I think is one of the coolest collections of Beach Boys photos and advertising that exists in one place. The book will feature something like 160 images, the majority never seen before, and many in color. Our publisher Backbeat Books is doing this thing up in style with a hardcover, large format (8 x 11) size, 400 pages, and photos placed near the entries for the shows they were taken at. So in many cases you will read about that show, see an ad, or a photo from it (or several from it)...read a review from the local paper, or a comment from a fan who was there, or from band members, opening acts, crew members, road managers, promoters etc... Through the decades of listings you will get a better, sharper, more in-depth and detailed view of the band as a live entity than has ever been written. You'll feel like you're on tour with them, and feel the rush of taking the stage and all the hell and glory that breaks loose night after night. Like I said, we can't wait for June.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »

That's a job for C-man.  Hope it's still in his future plans.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »

Jon,

Can’t wait to get this book, I still have that promo flyer you handed me at the Grammy Museum show. Not sure if you are still squeezing updates into this great book, but I know of a show from 1962 (with some tidbits of info from a friend):

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10275.0.html

Thanks man. I think we generally cover this in the book, unless you have learned more detail than what is in the linked thread. Still time to get small bits of info in.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »

Answers: 1) We will have set lists for some shows for each year-though not for all shows!  2) I did obtain permission to use some photos of Dennis from that Sept 1983 show-but the publisher felt they were just too poor quality to use  3) Yes of course-has to be brought up in the context of the times  4) No  5) Yes we do have some from the 78 tour
Ian
Thanks a bunch for the answers.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »

Woops, guess I missed the size post, thanks for the repost, bgas.  I was so excited to read the first post on the thread I just skimmed the rest and headed over to Amazon.  Amazon didn't have the actual size of the book posted on the site, yet.  I look forward to this book. I like fun stuff in music books.  The Beach Boys don't have nearly enough glossy coffee table picture books with good history in them.  Congrats to the authors, hope it's a big success.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:13:11 PM by KittyKat » Logged
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »

This sounds great; pre-ordered, same as many others.

Just curious about a couple of things, like a kid before Christmas...  Smiley

Is this an attempt to document every BB concert with at least date & venue (much more, obviously, for some)?

Will there also be mention of Brian and/or Al shows? Almost forgot; Carl did a few shows in the early 80s, as well.

I'm really looking forward to this. Don't believe I've ever ordered a book so far in advance.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »

This sounds great; pre-ordered, same as many others.

Just curious about a couple of things, like a kid before Christmas...  Smiley

Is this an attempt to document every BB concert with at least date & venue (much more, obviously, for some)?

Will there also be mention of Brian and/or Al shows? Almost forgot; Carl did a few shows in the early 80s, as well.

I'm really looking forward to this. Don't believe I've ever ordered a book so far in advance.

Well, as the gigs/sessions page on 10452 lists every known show - band and solo - from 12/23/1961-12/30/2000 and all Brian's solo shows after that date (plus the C50 dates), I'm guessing it wouldn't be too much trouble for a researcher of Ian's caliber to fill in the blanks. He did after all research said page on my site. Possibly the most amazing aspect of all this is, he does have a life !  Repeat, this will be an essential purchase if you consider yourself a Beach Boys fan.

Of course, it means more work for me come June.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:43:53 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:28 AM »

Congrats guys - already placed my order !
Hey Jon - how about that Beach Boys Album Covers coffee-table book next then ?!!  Roll Eyes
www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com (The Beach Boys Albums Covers website)

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 06:57:36 AM »

publication date 6-13?

Does that mean it will not be available for another 9 months?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx