gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681494 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 06:22:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New HUGE Beach Boys Book!  (Read 13849 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:11 AM »

This sounds great; pre-ordered, same as many others.

Just curious about a couple of things, like a kid before Christmas...  Smiley

Is this an attempt to document every BB concert with at least date & venue (much more, obviously, for some)?

Will there also be mention of Brian and/or Al shows? Almost forgot; Carl did a few shows in the early 80s, as well.

I'm really looking forward to this. Don't believe I've ever ordered a book so far in advance.
As it is this book is HUGE. The post '98 period had to be streamlined and truncated in a way that the prior years are not. Solo endeavors are given some attention too, Carl's touring is in there, Mike's side gigs, Brian's solo tours, some of Al's...but again post '98 stuff is minimal, but there. About 85% of the book is dedicated to 1961 - 1985, and that period is incredibly well developed with significant info on most of the gigs including dates, venues, attendance, opening acts, reviews, comments, quotes, photos, advertising etc... We had to cut it down by 70,000 words just to get it in at about 400 pages. And remember the format is large so they are BIG pages. But every year is covered right up to the 2012 tour...however, the amount of detail given to each year decreases once you pass 1985, and decreases again once you pass 1998. JUST FYI this book has nearly as many words as all three of my other Beach Boys books combined, and like I said we had to cut it down some just to get it there.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:55:13 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 07:32:18 AM »

publication date 6-13?

Does that mean it will not be available for another 9 months?
6/13 is the scheduled release, we may see it a little earlier.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »

This sounds great; pre-ordered, same as many others.

Just curious about a couple of things, like a kid before Christmas...  Smiley

Is this an attempt to document every BB concert with at least date & venue (much more, obviously, for some)?

Will there also be mention of Brian and/or Al shows? Almost forgot; Carl did a few shows in the early 80s, as well.

I'm really looking forward to this. Don't believe I've ever ordered a book so far in advance.
As it is this book is HUGE. The post '98 period had to be streamlined and truncated in a way that the prior years are not. Solo endeavors are given some attention too, Carl's touring is in there, Mike's side gigs, Brian's solo tours, some of Al's...but again post '98 stuff is minimal, but there. About 85% of the book is dedicated to 1961 - 1985, and that period is incredibly well developed with significant info on most of the gigs including dates, venues, attendance, opening acts, reviews, comments, quotes, photos, advertising etc... We had to cut it down by 70,000 words just to get it in at about 400 pages. And remember the format is large so they are BIG pages. But every year is covered right up to the 2012 tour...however, the amount of detail given to each year decreases once you pass 1985, and decreases again once you pass 1998. JUST FYI this book has nearly as many words as all three of my other Beach Boys books combined, and like I said we had to cut it down some just to get it there.

Director's cut someday ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »

publication date 6-13?

Does that mean it will not be available for another 9 months?

It has to gestate.  Like a baby.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »

2) I did obtain permission to use some photos of Dennis from that Sept 1983 show-but the publisher felt they were just too poor quality to use 

Is there any chance we might see them online (maybe on this board)?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

Wow, this will be a great read, and I will probably vanish for a few days from society as I read it!  And maybe I can update the setlist archive for the first time in 4 years! haha
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »

... And maybe I can update the setlist archive for the first time in 4 years! haha

Can we hold you to that?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:16 PM »

Hey Jon - how about that Beach Boys Album Covers coffee-table book next then ?!!  Roll Eyes
www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com (The Beach Boys Albums Covers website)

Malc, you have a fabulous site, so if you're not gonna do the Album Covers coffee table book, you and Jon need to get together and do it.

And ...  I'm totally lookin' forward to Ian and Jon's forthcoming book.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 06:19:50 PM »

Hey Jon - how about that Beach Boys Album Covers coffee-table book next then ?!!  Roll Eyes
www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com (The Beach Boys Albums Covers website)

Malc, you have a fabulous site, so if you're not gonna do the Album Covers coffee table book, you and Jon need to get together and do it.

And ...  I'm totally lookin' forward to Ian and Jon's forthcoming book.
Malc and I were seriously talking about it some years ago and then other distractions, numerous projects began in rapid fire, Malc's got a big Bread project going too. But his Album Covers book would be cool, I'm all for it...but still really busy with other stuff.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »

A couple of queries...

I can understand 1998 onwards being covered only briefly but will the book discuss in detail the split in 1998 which led to America's Band, the lawsuit etc.?

Also, will the book mention any and all rare songs added to the setlists eg. Pretty Woman, I Saw Her Standing There etc.?
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »

A couple of queries...

I can understand 1998 onwards being covered only briefly but will the book discuss in detail the split in 1998 which led to America's Band, the lawsuit etc.?

Also, will the book mention any and all rare songs added to the setlists eg. Pretty Woman, I Saw Her Standing There etc.?
They played those?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »

A couple of queries...

They played those?

I believe so. The first pre98, the second post.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:24 AM »

We discuss a lot of stuff in the book-it is 400 pages! So hopefully everyone will walk away quite happy. Of course to cover everything that could be covered we'd need another 400 at least! I interviewed a lot of folks-including Daryl Dragon, Fred Vail, Steve Desper, Bobby Figueroa, Ron Altbach, Ron Swallow, Sterling Smith, Tom Murphy, Dennis Dragon and Chip Rachlin.  So there is lots of commentary too.  When they played an unusual song, we tried to mention it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 12:47:34 AM »

I'd be interested to read anything about the group supposedly playing "Baby, Baby", an unreleased Dennis song. For some strange reason, I'm also hoping to see at least one picture of Carl from Perth 1978.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2012, 05:01:53 AM »

WOW ! That's great news. Kudo's to Ian and Jon for completing this enormous job.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2012, 06:22:44 AM »

Don't have a pic of Carl in Perth-but do have some from Sydney on that tour.  Have lots of info on that tour though-not their finest moment of course.  Thanks for all the kind words on the book
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »

By the way-we tried to make this book as accurate as possible-but I am very thankful to AGD for allowing me the space to list all the concerts on his site and it's nice to know that if I learn about a mistaken date/venue, etc or find a missing show from 1962 after the book comes out-at least I can add it there for anyone fanatical enough to want to know
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »

... And maybe I can update the setlist archive for the first time in 4 years! haha

Can we hold you to that?
Life is just really busy; priorities change...I really do want to update it, but I would like to solicit some help to make setlist submission an automated process, where people submit setlists for approval, and I just click a button that approves or rejects it.  In an ideal world, that's how it would go.  My website making skills are very old school.  Can anyone help make an automated form?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »

From the BW board.....

craigm

Posted Today at 10:40 AM

Hopefully it will shed some light on what happened at the end of summer 2012.

......Can you put craig out of his misery now or does he have to wait until June? LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »

I guess he doesn't read the author's posts here.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2012, 03:36:20 AM »

You know what? It would be awesome if there were an entire book dedicated to the 2012 reunion tour. The historical significance begs for it. When was the last time that Brian played every single date of an entire Beach Boys tour? I really thought he would bow out of the non US dates.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2012, 05:02:50 AM »

You know what? It would be awesome if there were an entire book dedicated to the 2012 reunion tour. The historical significance begs for it. When was the last time that Brian played every single date of an entire Beach Boys tour? I really thought he would bow out of the non US dates.

The 1980 tour of Europe, I think.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx