gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 11:16:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary DVD and Blu-ray.  (Read 68324 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »

I just did the same

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »

I just did the same

well done; luckily the parking lot at costco was full today or I would have gotten it , foolishly, already.  This entire enterprise of being a BB fan requires patience, and I can't imagine that all that filming at all those other shows will not result in more dvd's. Someone had got to know how to make money on this.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

I'm very interested in the tinkering with the sound track. Is it the same as the youtube trailer or something completely different?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »

As for getting the full RAH gig...I can only now see them releasing it if they were to tag the full concert on a bonus disc on the special edition DVD of this documentary feature.

This will do for now. Nice job.Thanks Tusrdu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70H4KOqCYg

(now how can I keep this?)

Haha Brian waving his hand in Please Let Me Wonder instrumental break! and he does a falsetto on the last note at 26.58!

Wasn't this the same show where he took a stab at his original falsetto parts on "Forever"? Very interesting.

His last note that sounds really good, but it sounds like he kind of craps out due to nerves near the end. Shame.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »

I happened to watch some of the latest Coldplay Live 2012 DVD last night. Lots of crowd shots and group interviews after several songs. The sound mix was high on the music and low on the audience.

I'm now wondering if we are just out of touch on what a live DVD should be in 2012.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »

As for getting the full RAH gig...I can only now see them releasing it if they were to tag the full concert on a bonus disc on the special edition DVD of this documentary feature.

This will do for now. Nice job.Thanks Tusrdu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70H4KOqCYg

(now how can I keep this?)

Haha Brian waving his hand in Please Let Me Wonder instrumental break! and he does a falsetto on the last note at 26.58!

Wasn't this the same show where he took a stab at his original falsetto parts on "Forever"? Very interesting.

His last note that sounds really good, but it sounds like he kind of craps out due to nerves near the end. Shame.

I don't think it was nerves - he just might not have been prepared for the stamina it took to sustain that note, and also, he might have been a little worried that it would throw off whatever Jeff was doing. That falsetto thing he does is really splendid - at 70 years old, that's not just good for Brian, that's plain good.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »

Little Deuce Coupe sample.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/beach-boys-take-little-deuce-coupe-for-a-spin-20121119

Sounds ok! Thumbs Up
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »

I'm now wondering if we are just out of touch on what a live DVD should be in 2012.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »

I just did the same

well done; luckily the parking lot at costco was full today or I would have gotten it , foolishly, already.  This entire enterprise of being a BB fan requires patience, and I can't imagine that all that filming at all those other shows will not result in more dvd's. Someone had got to know how to make money on this.

While I would certainly welcome a more complete live release from this tour, I simply doubt it will happen.  Why go to all the trouble of putting this release out if you plan on putting the entire show out later on?  Isn't that just a waste of time, money and effort?  Supposedly a live album will be released (although I don't believe there has been any official news regarding this).  At the very least, if you have a Blu-Ray or DVD audio ripper on your computer, you can just rip the whole audio and make a CD of it.  Better than nuthin'. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »

Not overly exciting, but yeah, sounds okay. Weird choice of a teaser to give to Rolling Stone, though.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2012, 02:03:12 PM »

Best Buy had this in stock for $11.99 today. There was absolutely no mention of a second disc with Doin' It Again. That's some strange marketing if it's really in there...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »

Best Buy had this in stock for $11.99 today. There was absolutely no mention of a second disc with Doin' It Again. That's some strange marketing if it's really in there...

I believe the 2 disc version with Doin It Again is only for Uk/Europe. It wasn't released over here.
Don't know about Australia etc , but USA is one disc.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »

Just swung by Best Buy during my lunch break to pick it up along with the new Zeppelin DVD combo.

Taking a half day at work tomorrow--great time to watch both!
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »

Honestly, I prefer the audio from the Japanese concert. Seemed more alive. Just wish I had the video to accompany.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »

Just swung by Best Buy during my lunch break to pick it up along with the new Zeppelin DVD combo.

Taking a half day at work tomorrow--great time to watch both!

be interested to hear your take on which is best and what are the strong/weak points of each. Plan to have both by December 25th!

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »

And looks ok..

Should be a pretty good addition to my Beach Boys DVD collection

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »

I'll have a full review up on the ol' blog soon, but just ran through most of the Blu-ray, and I'm pleasantly surprised. The editing and camerawork are actually pretty good! Not a lot of crowd shots, and the editing is not too quick-cut-ish. Video quality is of course superb in HD on the Blu-ray. Certainly the most nice-looking BB show I've ever watched at home. You can see the wrinkles and caked-on makeup in full HD glory!  LOL

Sounds prettty good overall. Still some audio fudging on the two songs off the new album. The fudging (in the form of elements of the studio versions playing alongside the live performance) is less prevalent than on some of the other things we've heard/seen, but it's still there.

The audio seems to be largely live and from the actual show we're seeing, but there seem to be some vocal bits either overdubbed or flown in from other live recordings, as on occasion the visuals don't match the audio. Thankfully, this was not too prevalent.

"Help Me Rhonda" also reaffirms yet again that Al has the most intact voice of any of these guys; it's a shame they couldn't get another Al lead vocal or two on this thing.

I can confrim that this US pressing has one single disc, just the "Live in Concert" Blu-ray. No bonus features.

This thing is shockingly really good! The only thing negative I can say is that it's not longer. If they had just put out the full show, edited the same way (very brief opening montage lasted a couple minutes showing them putting the stage together, then straight into the show), it would be just about as close to perfect as we could hope for.

Interestingly, most of the in-between song stage patter has been removed. There is still a bit, but this is pretty solid about 68 minutes of music.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:44:20 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »

Thanks for the write-up!

Is the DIA group intro quickfire like the trailer or as it was at the gig?
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »

Just finished watching the entire show, and I have exactly the opposite reaction from what I expected.

I completely agree with the earlier mention that the camera-switching & crowd shots were not at all annoying. I'd go so far as to say I found the filming (filmography?) very good. There are not only plenty of closeups, they are also well-timed. Right person, at the right spot in the performance. I think I saw seven or eight camera-operators listed in the credits, so there were plenty of shots & angles from which to choose. There were also some good shots of the entire stage.

I don't have any special sound system so I can't comment much on that, other than what I heard sounded good. Also agree there was a lot of work done after the show, Mike as well as Brian, but I guess that's the norm for "live" shows these days. Certainly nothing offensive to my ears or eyes.

I saw or heard at least a couple of neat moments I missed originally (I attended this show). On Marcella, "one arm over my shoulder", the camera cuts to Al, who has one of his arms on his shoulder. In fact, I'd say that Al seemed like he might have been playing to the camera a little bit that night. Brian appeared more active than I remember, but, of course, he's featured a lot in this release. Can't help but laugh a little when I see his gestures on "Sail On, Sailor", but the performance of the song was excellent.

Audience-noise is practically mixed out. In fact, my only negative comment would be that there isn't any feeling of the show's excitement in this release. I think if you extracted the audio for a cd or iPod, you might not even realize you were listening to a concert. 

This is a bare-bones dvd: no liner notes, or even a menu. The program starts with some crew preparation pre-concert & then goes into the complete "Do It Again"; drums & Jeff's intros.

I'd give this four stars. Very glad to have it.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »

Thanks for the write-up!

Is the DIA group intro quickfire like the trailer or as it was at the gig?

You get the full "Do It Again" from the drum intro, just as it was at the gig (I presume; I of course wasn't at the Phoenix show, but it seems the same length on this Blu-ray as it has been at every other show I've seen and heard).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »

I'm holding onto faith that there will be another release from the tour (a 2CD+DVD set with the entire tour setlist, preferably from the Royal Albert Hall) but for now, I'm happy with this.

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2012, 01:26:14 AM »

Sorry but this sounds utterly soulless and empty. Partly due to the lack of crowd noise and partly because the performance sounds too perfect to be genuinely live.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2012, 02:25:20 AM »

I think there's too much light on the audience and it makes it look like they are performing on a Wednesday afternoon at the local retirement home.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2012, 02:25:42 AM »

I'm holding onto faith that there will be another release from the tour (a 2CD+DVD set with the entire tour setlist, preferably from the Royal Albert Hall) but for now, I'm happy with this.

Sorry but this sounds utterly soulless and empty. Partly due to the lack of crowd noise and partly because the performance sounds too perfect to be genuinely live.

While it would be lovely to have a deluxe package from this tour I can't see it happening, unless the initiative is taken by EMI in Europe to put out something under their own aegis. Just like I don't think we'll see a re-issue of TWGMTR with the "suite" finished and polished.

Another live release from this tour would only divide the market of casual fans, of which the bulk of the market will consist (as it will for almost any Beach Boys release, with perhaps the exception of the TWGMTR Deluxe Edition With Ol' Ford Woodie [$150,000]).

And aye, I can't see anything especially special about that performance of  LDC. Unless the buffering's fallen victim to my pitiful broadband link, it seems that the audio and visual aren't even in synch at times. You shouldn't have to crank up the volume to convey the excitement.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:28:06 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »

When the band were in the Land of Oz, over a few drinks I got to chat with Marc and Mark from the film crew and they told me that they were producing three video productions from footage garnered from the tour. This is release number one, there are more to come.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx