gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:05:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Museum Los Angeles 9/18/12  (Read 42507 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »

Jon, I hope you don't feel underappreciated here. It's contributions from experts like you that make it worth sifting through the silly stuff.

Seconded.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »

Jon, I hope you don't feel underappreciated here. It's contributions from experts like you that make it worth sifting through the silly stuff.

Seconded.

Thirded!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »

Fourthed! sorry... seriously though awesome post by Jon. Thanks for sharing your insights on the board. It's very cool of you.

As for Bruce, c'mon he's basically been with the band since 1965. He's contributed at least one classic (Disney Girls) and produced two of their albums. I think of him as every bit a core member as the other 4, particularly Dave who was a full time beach boy for a total of what, 3 years at the most (early 60s, late 90s). And I say this as someone who was treated VERY rudely by Bruce at a VIP event before a show in May (and it almost ruined the show for me). I don't get his hot and cold personality, but he is a Beach Boy through and through. I don't think there's any doubt about that.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »

Thanks Jon!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2012, 11:20:18 AM »

Wow...its a love-fest! Unleash the...errr. Thanks to all for the nice words.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2012, 11:25:16 AM »

Can someone tell me what Mike sees in Bruce or what the rest of the band does (as in Brian)?  The more I've seen and heard of Bruce since this reunion, the more of a negative presence he seems to be.  He even called the latest album, and by extension Brian's work, a bunt, even after claiming he hadn't heard the whole thing.  Add in his general extreme rudeness to fans at times and the fact he never really contributed much at all to the music and can't sing too well anymore on a consistent basis.  I don't get it.
Bruce is very important to Mike...he puts the "S" in The Beach BoyS touring band.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »

Bruce's "bunt" comment befuddles me to no end. What SHOULD the album have been?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2012, 11:33:54 AM »

Ah, Bruce.  You gotta love him. Don't you?  Hello?  Anyone?

Honk! Honk!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »

Bruce's "bunt" comment befuddles me to no end. What SHOULD the album have been?

Duh. "She Believes In Love Again" would have made this album a HOME RUN!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »

Oh dear! Grin

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059504.html?cmpid=RSS

Can we go surfing now?

By Craig Modderno

The Beach Boys weren't exactly in a party mood Tuesday at L.A.'s Grammy Museum, which is celebrating the group's 50th anniversary.
"I just got back from Australia. I don't know why we had to do this today since the band is exhausted," explained Al Jardine.

"I can't even think about this tonight since we've got two major concerts to do in London before I'm free to go surfing," echoed Bruce Johnston.

"It seems like another meet and greet where we're ushered around for no special reason," said Mike Love.

Onstage Brian Wilson looked eager to leave, telling host Robert Santelli at one point to just open up questions from the aud. But the boys came alive for a five-song acoustic set, which included high-harmony classics "Surfer Girl" and "California Girls."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

haha that's good stuff.  Nice to see the other side of the "we're happy to be here" one-liners we've been getting.  The guys do deserve a break. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »

Oh dear! Grin

Can we go surfing now?

By Craig Modderno

The Beach Boys weren't exactly in a party mood Tuesday at L.A.'s Grammy Museum, which is celebrating the group's 50th anniversary.
"I just got back from Australia. I don't know why we had to do this today since the band is exhausted," explained Al Jardine.

"I can't even think about this tonight since we've got two major concerts to do in London before I'm free to go surfing," echoed Bruce Johnston.

"It seems like another meet and greet where we're ushered around for no special reason," said Mike Love.

Onstage Brian Wilson looked eager to leave, telling host Robert Santelli at one point to just open up questions from the aud. But the boys came alive for a five-song acoustic set, which included high-harmony classics "Surfer Girl" and "California Girls."

Grumpy old men. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »

Was nice chatting with you after the show, Jon. What an amazing night.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

Amen. Jon's a great writer, and from everything I've heard (and from my own observations, both here and on Facebook) seems like a hell of a cool guy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »

Man, the boys are still the most fascinating band in the world..

You gotta love the drama

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »

Amen. Jon's a great writer, and from everything I've heard (and from my own observations, both here and on Facebook) seems like a hell of a cool guy.

Jon's "Beach Boys Image Problems" ("too many fat guys" Tongue) bit from his FAQ book is hilarious and is worthy of Lester Bangs at his best!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

Thanks Mr. moderator and Erik...and Century thanks for the nice chat after the Grammy show, we even talked to Joe Thomas right? Glad to hear you're a "We'll Run Away" advocate too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

Thanks Mr. moderator and Erik...and Century thanks for the nice chat after the Grammy show, we even talked to Joe Thomas right? Glad to hear you're a "We'll Run Away" advocate too.

In case you're curious, this is Billy Castillo...I just change my username like once a week or so cause I get bored LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »

IMO, Bruce doesn't seem to have a lot to do on this tour, he takes more leads on the M&B tour e.g Sloop John, Surfer Girl, DYWD, I would guess he's quite keen to get back into that.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »

In case you're curious, this is Billy Castillo...I just change my username like once a week or so cause I get bored LOL
Hey Billy. Rock on, brother.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »

Oh dear! Grin

Can we go surfing now?

By Craig Modderno

F*ck it guys. It's your damn job !!

Jon Stebbins: You know that we all appreciate your contributions to this board, don't you? I really treasure such inside info but I'm not always up to comment on it (I hope this doesn't come across as ungrateful or whatever). I really enjoyed reading your summarization of the evening because I think that you - after having written books about them - have a very healthy look on the guys and probably understand a bit more about the inside stuff than we do (if anyone can understand those f*cking old bastards  LOL LOL )

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2012, 07:12:35 PM »

Fifteenthed.  Jon (S), it's thanks to you that I finally properly know and appreciate David Lee Marks, and way more about Dennis than I knew before.  You've got a wonderful level-headed perspective and a genuine sincere love for the whole shebang.  Kudos is yours!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »

Yes, contributions to this Board from people such as Jon Stebbins, Andrew Doe, and others such as them are priceless and appreciated to no ends.
Paraphrasing that old EF Hutton commercial - when someone like a Jon Stebbins posts, people listen!
Thanks so much.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »

Oh dear! Grin

Can we go surfing now?

By Craig Modderno

Really?HuhHuh Hahahaha. I'd say the Grammy Museum must be a little miffed but the guys just earned them more in a day than what they usually earn in weeks.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »

Sounds like normal old man talk to me.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx