gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:21:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Museum Los Angeles 9/18/12  (Read 42432 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »

The Rolling Stone magazine website posted several photos of the museum exhibit, with comments by Brian.  It includes photos I've never seen before and a close-up view of the Brian Wilson high school essay (you can actually read the whole thing if you zoom in on it). 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2012, 05:50:19 AM »

The Rolling Stone magazine website posted several photos of the museum exhibit, with comments by Brian.  It includes photos I've never seen before and a close-up view of the Brian Wilson high school essay (you can actually read the whole thing if you zoom in on it).  

Thanks for the info!
It's this, isn't it?
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/behind-the-scenes-with-brian-wilson-at-the-beach-boys-retrospective-20120927

BTW what about the instruments? Are they the original ones (including Carl's Jag)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:00:24 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »

The Rolling Stone magazine website posted several photos of the museum exhibit, with comments by Brian.  It includes photos I've never seen before and a close-up view of the Brian Wilson high school essay (you can actually read the whole thing if you zoom in on it).  

Thanks for the info!
It's this, isn't it?
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/behind-the-scenes-with-brian-wilson-at-the-beach-boys-retrospective-20120927

BTW what about the instruments? Are they the original ones (including Carl's Jag)

Yes, it is the same page.  I forgot to post a link.  It's almost as good as seeing it in person, because I'm not sure such a small display is worth a special trip unless you already live in the LA area.  I'd have to think those are the original instruments.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't be.  Even the surf board originally belonged to Dennis.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »

Thanks for the info!
It's this, isn't it?

Yes, it is the same page.  I forgot to post a link.  It's almost as good as seeing it in person, because I'm not sure such a small display is worth a special trip unless you already live in the LA area.  I'd have to think those are the original instruments.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't be.  Even the surf board originally belonged to Dennis.
Regarding the instruments...the Gibson 12 string is Carl's, the snare drum is Dennis'. However, I'm fairly sure the Fender instruments are only examples of the orig. instruments...not the real ones. Al's white Strat was definitely stolen in about '65, so no way that's the orig....and from what I was told (by David) the Jag is a '62 model exactly like Carl's but not the orig. one. Don't know if the orig. Jag or white P-bass exist anymore. I doubt it. Most of their orig. '60's guitars were stolen... in the '60's.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:15:51 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »

Finally went to the museum, which is fun in itself--lots of musical documentaries and displays. The BB window display features lots of photos and programs and album--the kind of actual stuff you see displayed at the shows in the video.

Of particular note is a composition BW wrote for school on his philosophy of life; he got a B+, and the teacher wrote "quite an unfinished sound." Quite a strange comment from an ancient sister of mine; don't know what she meant.  The hand written lyrics to GOK is impressive too. Beyond that, expect no thrills nor information that we don't already know. Some Murray Wilson photos (from the old machine at Woolworth kind of thing).

No drugs, death nor misery. Dennis's snare, donated by his son Carl is great to see.

I would not fly to LA to see this, but it was worth the 10 minute drive and the 10 bucks for sure.

I was somewhat emotionally compromised by the events lately, fearing the band may not continue, so I was not my usualy overjoyed self--not the best way to se e the exhibit.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »

Video from event:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17611.0.html

Thanks to Jon Stebbins

(sorry for the bump up, folks--just updating the thread with the video Jon posted for our archives!)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »

Video from event:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17611.0.html

Thanks to Jon Stebbins

(sorry for the bump up, folks--just updating the thread with the video Jon posted for our archives!)
Good thinking.

<< "I Get Around" from that same night >>
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »

Thanks for the clip Lowbacca! 

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx