gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:17:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another UK Appearance - Later On Jools Holland BBC TV  (Read 36644 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »

There were plenty of train wrecks when Carl was on stage, too. If you take Brian out of the mix on the live TWGMTR, the song would be significantly better. Significantly.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »

Just watched the videos:

God Made The Radio was kinda meh somehow, they seemed a bit tired on vocals? but still nice, looks like people enjoyed.

Do It Again was quite cool Smiley

But man, Barbara Ann was great! kinda weird to see Foskett under the light but jeez, that was really awesome to see them sing all together with no effects almost a capella, Brian doing piano with Jools, and Jools himself mentioning the album Holland! that's like, one of the best Beach Boys video ever, and it will probably be somehow the last time we'll see that, or that they'll go out there.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »

Gotta agree there Ziggy.  As much as "Barbara Ann" was a weird choice especially when you only have 3 songs to do---it was worth it just to get them around the piano like that and singing that song with no band or frills...just their voices.   Seeing Brian jam out on the keys was especially rewarding.  That was quite the moment. 

"Radio" had some rough spots, no doubt.  What's with that song and playing it on TV?  Always been bad news so far.  "Isn't It Time" should have been performed.  Ah well.....
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »

Poll here for the show for anyone interested.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/poll/2012/sep/25/later-jools-holland
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »

You the man, Justin!  Afro
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

Cool Guy
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »

I'm so temped to start a new topic for this..

Come Beach Boys fans, vote!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »

There were plenty of train wrecks when Carl was on stage, too. If you take Brian out of the mix on the live TWGMTR, the song would be significantly better. Significantly.

That's not what I'm suggesting. Of course, they had bad performances with and without Carl from any given era. I'm saying that one would rarely see a *new* song still trying to find its mojo after 4 months when (an obviously healthy) Carl was around, or even often from the get-go, and this one is still giving the band fits -- both in arrangement and execution. Particularly for a single that they hoped would make a strong, positive impression on the unwashed viewing masses -- which I don't think these recent TV performances of the song do. I'm also saying that the tune would've most likely featured Carl in a prominent vocal role, and it would've been all the better for it live.

Now, I'll concede part of "Radio's" problems might have to do with the song's inherent vocal structure, bad mixes, *individual* elements within any given performance, aging.......none that can be directly related to Carl......but I can't honestly say that the live TV versions of "Radio" have improved much, if any, since the first one on Fallon as a whole. It's usually just different degrees of ragged for whatever reason. Leno, QVC...this one. The fact that they've chosen to use faked-up versions for certain "live" airings of the song probably speaks volumes for their own grasp of it.

And yes, I agree that Brian's live vocals don't really help the band's cause with this song. Though, I think the shadowing by Foskett makes things sound just as sloppy on TV, and it only highlights Brian's, at times, off-key singing in the tune when it occurs. I know what the solution is, but...... Smiley
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »

I thought the Jools and Brian on piano bit during Barbara Ann was pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnobZToKXYQ

Also at mention of '25 years being half way through' (the 50th).

Bruce..."We're not through at all"

Not usually a fan of this song but this is awesome.

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »

there should be more stuff like this that they do.

what's with that guy at 3:21?  Huh
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:26:40 PM by stack-o-tracks » Logged

No mas, por favor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »

And yes, I agree that Brian's live vocals don't really help the band's cause with this song. Though, I think the shadowing by Foskett makes things sound just as sloppy on TV, and it only highlights Brian's, at times, off-key singing in the tune when it occurs. I know what the solution is, but...... Smiley

While Brian is off key fairly often, Jeff isn't a great deal better. This coupled with different inflections and, erm, syncopation, makes for a bit of a trainwreck sometimes. Dissonance, screwy timing, etc. Brian's "mistakes" are much more glaring when someone else is doubling him, it sounds so much worse than if he were doing it himself.

Just let Brian sing his songs, for f***'s sake. It doesn't matter if he starts screaming "LET'S GO MOTHER f*cker" mid-"Good Vibrations", it's his song and he can "LET'S GO MOTHER f*cker" if he wants to.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »

Thanks. I kinda like that Brian's all over this, but where are the other guys? Al's lost in the mix, as Manning* pointed out.

Ditto on both counts!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:25:34 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »

While Brian is off key fairly often, Jeff isn't a great deal better. This coupled with different inflections and, erm, syncopation, makes for a bit of a trainwreck sometimes. Dissonance, screwy timing, etc. Brian's "mistakes" are much more glaring when someone else is doubling him, it sounds so much worse than if he were doing it himself.

Yep. It's that clashing quality that makes the whole affair all the more sloppy. Their intonation and phrasing are too far apart. I mean, I get *why* they're doing it, and it may have helped at some point and in certain live lead situations with Brian, it just doesn't really work anymore unless we're talking some kind of 90-10 ratio, and if that's the case, it defeats what they're trying to do to begin with. Hell, it doesn't work on the current performances that utilized Jeff along with Al's still-virtually-intact lead voice on WIBN.

Even in the studio, in terms of Brian's modern voice, my personal preference for most of his upbeat and upfront lead vocals these days is just his single-tracked voice, with perhaps the occasional odd note tuned-up or the occasional doubling. It's one of the reasons I don't care for his first-verse vocal on the *album* version of "Isn't It Time"(*). That is, "pitchy" double-tracked vocals clashing with each other on certain lines (e.g. "all been said"). They're too far apart in terms of intonation to work. Conversely, on the single version, it sounds like they opted instead to use only one of the vocals -- more pleasing on the lines in question -- with a large heaping of slap-back (and the additional harmony, of course)

*On a related note, in terms of that original album version of "Isn't It Time," I never noticed until recently that there's a somewhat jarring edit, punch or obvious comp on that first-verse line, right after the word "feeling" and before the word "of" (or whatever technique they used to piece Brian's vocal together). More audible while wearing cans. Now, whenever I listen to the album version with headphones, I hear that flippin' thing every time! Conversely, on the new single version, it's not as noticeable to me. So...that's a good thing, too. Smiley
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2012, 12:29:18 AM »

Or let Jools boogie woogie piano all over Hey Little Tomboy

This is one of these things that everyone claims happens, yet doesn't.

Smiley Smiley

Seriously, though-DIA was a great opener, Barbara Ann was good just to see them around the piano and TWGMTR, well, as said before, just doesn't seem to come off well on TV!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2012, 02:03:48 AM »

Perfectly servicable Do It Again, Barbara Ann was cute (and how often do you get to say Brian is the loudest Beach Boy in the mix?) with some bitchin' Mike bass riffin'. TWGMTR.... eh. It's a really difficult song! I'm amazed they keep trying to do it. Agree that they're all having fun, which is lovely to see!

One thing to bear in mind is that whilst the songs might be the same on Friday in the hour long version, the performances might be altered, or mixed differently. I've seen it happen a lot, sometimes they'll punch in different takes and things. So anyone not at Wembley can report...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2012, 04:16:59 AM »

Well, TWGMTR was a bit flat in places, but it wasn't only Brian who was off. To be honest, I think the arrangement doesn't work. It's as if it needs an extra voice.  Do It Again was about par, though Mike seemed to be a little weak, as he did on NPR and on the BBC radio show; Barbara Ann was pretty good - for once and the arsehole who is forever coming on here saying, "I don't hear Brian," was surely satisfied...

Honk! Honk!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2012, 05:17:00 AM »

Check the very end of the Barbara Ann video - Brian gets up to leave the piano and a crew member has to rush over and touch his arm to let him know he has to stay there!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2012, 05:26:59 AM »

Check the very end of the Barbara Ann video - Brian gets up to leave the piano and a crew member has to rush over and touch his arm to let him know he has to stay there!

I noticed this too. A little embarrassing perhaps but I love how Brian seems like a law unto himself. He looks like he genuinely enjoys playing the tune with everyone but then figures, quite logically really, 'That was cool, I'll be off now!'

Little genuine appreciation for TV etiquette. A start contrast to Bruce's (superb) towing of the party line and constant confirming of the corporate positive media message.

BA was the best performance of the show in my opinion - by a very long way.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2012, 05:49:46 AM »

I'm going to take a look at the performances now. But the constellation of songs they played is dumb. Totally dumb. Not even promoting the new single. I had hoped for something like Brian's solo performance on Jools. He played Cal. Girls, GOK, They can't take that away from me and GV.
Barbara *goshdarnit* Ann ? Can't believe it (wouldn't be surprised if this was idea)

EDIT:
Still everytime they play Do It Again now I just have to think about how terrible it sounded in '96 at the Fan Fair in Nashville and how good and at times even great it sounds nowadays
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:55:53 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2012, 06:08:30 AM »

Can't understand all the Jeff bashing that sometimes is going on... I think without Jeff the group could not play these shows at all. His voice has a different tone quality then let's say Matt Jardine, but he can sing, and in very good good pitch. (His lead on DWB is also stellar)

TWGMTR was good (after all it's the freakin' Beach Boys!), but also a little 'meh'. I mean SERIOUS it was again awful and very hurtin' my ears. I like the studio version, but I've still not heard any good live version. it S.U.C.K.S. again (sorry). I sometimes think Brian wrote on purpose something impossible to sing. (a secret f%#$#^ck you bboys)

On the other hand I liked Barbara Ann, it was a simple choice, simple tune but what a great version they did!
It would make a nice bonus track for a live dvd.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:34:13 AM by Jaco » Logged
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2012, 07:01:33 AM »

Dudes, the Brian piano solo was AMAZING! How often do you see that?!?! I thought the Barbara  Ann boogie woogie version a brilliant choice. Radio sounded horrible and I really really tried to like it. Might of been the mix though because Totten's guitar was completely inaudible.  Do it again was meh not Mikes strongest vocal ever. Should of been IIT, BA and GV!

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »

I noticed this too. A little embarrassing perhaps but I love how Brian seems like a law unto himself. He looks like he genuinely enjoys playing the tune with everyone but then figures, quite logically really, 'That was cool, I'll be off now!'

Little genuine appreciation for TV etiquette. A start contrast to Bruce's (superb) towing of the party line and constant confirming of the corporate positive media message.

BA was the best performance of the show in my opinion - by a very long way.

He also puts his hand up to shake Jools' hand - after he's walked past him Grin Bruce sorts it out.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »

Dudes, the Brian piano solo was AMAZING!
I think AMAZING might be going a bit overboard. My cat can play similarly just walking across my piano keys. 
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »

I think AMAZING might be going a bit overboard. My cat can play similarly just walking across my piano keys. 

It's not strictly about his playing but the fact it was Brian Wilson doing the solo live on television. How often does this happen? With all the people complaining about his keyboard and microphone not being loud enough, this was a breath of fresh air. The MAN himself actually jamming was amazing it's not like he's ever been Keith Emerson.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »

It's not strictly about his playing but the fact it was Brian Wilson doing the solo live on television. How often does this happen? With all the people complaining about his keyboard and microphone not being loud enough, this was a breath of fresh air. The MAN himself actually jamming was amazing it's not like he's ever been Keith Emerson.

Nice to see Brian do that but not amazing or even very good. But what I agree on is that it's nice that he somehow shows interest.
BTW I don't think TWGMTR was as bad as many try to make it look. They've never done a 100% on key version on TV.
Imo they sould've done "Isn't it time" instead of "Barbara Ann" and maybe just some acapella stuff. If Jools had to play piano he could've done it on "Isn't it time"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx