gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:06:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: '72 Smile  (Read 21859 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »

I have amended teh post.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »

I
Well

have
I

amended
liked it

teh
teh

!

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

I have amended teh post.

Aww no, that post was awesome, Runners.  I hope someone at least got a screenshot of it haha.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »

I hate to bring this up, but wasn't there a compilation released in 73 or 74 that gathered "SMiLE/Smiley Smile" tracks together on one side to make a mini-Smile side? 
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »

I'd love to see that

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »

I wish I could remember where it came out and when but I know it was the early 70's. It was a typical hits compilation but to the best of my recollection, one side was:
1.Heroes & Villains (single)
2. Wonderful (Smiley Smile)
3. Our Prayer (20/20)
4. Cabinessence (20/20)
5. Surf's Up (Surf's Up) 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »

I look at BWPS in a similar fashion to PS live. He 'finished it' in the sense that he and Van Dyke added unfinished lyrics and the running order was put in place with help of Darian. Probably not how it would've been in 67 given that it was too long. But it is in a GREAT order and runs together smoothly. When using the TSS in nearly the same order, it is a master piece! Unfinished, but a master piece none the less. BWPS not quite due to the weekness of the lead vocals, and the backing tracks lacking some magic that the original recordings obtained. Notes are all correct, but it doesn't 'cry' as Danny Hutton mentioned.

As for a 1972 SMiLE, I would personally call it legit. Even if Carl was producing the added sections. Remember, SMiLE is a Beach Boys album, not a Brian solo album. Surfs Up 72 is a masterpiece. I don't care how or when it was finished. A great piece of art was abandoned by Brian and finished by his brothers at a time when they were in top form. I'm sure it would have worked similarly to Sail On Sailor, where Brian was very involved in the recording and perhaps tells Carl what to do over the phone. SMiLE 72 would have been very significant if Surfs Up is any indication.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2012, 11:58:08 PM »

teh

Just outta curiosity, what is this word?  It keeps showing up in your posts, and google doesn't recognize it.

Just wondering.....
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:13 AM »

As for a 1972 SMiLE, I would personally call it legit. Even if Carl was producing the added sections. Remember, SMiLE is a Beach Boys album, not a Brian solo album. Surfs Up 72 is a masterpiece. I don't care how or when it was finished. A great piece of art was abandoned by Brian and finished by his brothers at a time when they were in top form. I'm sure it would have worked similarly to Sail On Sailor, where Brian was very involved in the recording and perhaps tells Carl what to do over the phone. SMiLE 72 would have been very significant if Surfs Up is any indication.

Good point - Surf's Up 71 is still the definitive version to my ears.

“We live in divisive times.”
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »

Surf's Up 71 is still the definitive version to my ears.

Same for me.

Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »

teh

Just outta curiosity, what is this word?  It keeps showing up in your posts, and google doesn't recognize it.

Just wondering.....

runnerz is a cat whose typing skills are not all that dissimilar to the LOLCats.

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »

I look at BWPS in a similar fashion to PS live. He 'finished it' in the sense that he and Van Dyke added unfinished lyrics and the running order was put in place with help of Darian. Probably not how it would've been in 67 given that it was too long. But it is in a GREAT order and runs together smoothly. When using the TSS in nearly the same order, it is a master piece! Unfinished, but a master piece none the less.

For me, TSS is flawed by sticking to the BWPS order. The 'suites' works as a modern encapsulation of something that, to be fair has been given a lot of importance over the years, but I doubt that something that pretentious would have happened at the time, and having known most of the tracks as individual songs over the years, they feel somewhat shoehorned into that format. Especially Wind Chimes with all the pitch shifting at the end...I'll take the '93 mix over that any day.

A 72 finishing would have been pretty amazing, but still, some of the sounds of the era would have coloured the songs- like the synth bass on surfs up. If I had to pick a year outside of '67 that I'd like to hear a finished Smile from, I think I'd go for 1970. Sunflower/cool cool water sound so ace, it'd be incredible to hear say, child is father to the man finished to that level of production quality

exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »

I honestly am more excited about the idea of a  finished 71/72 SMiLE than a finished 67 SMiLE. The sound on Sunflower and Surf's Up is so amazing, some of my favorite production of all time. The 71 Surf's Up is so lush
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2012, 10:50:08 AM »

teh

google doesn't recognize it? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=teh

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »

I honestly am more excited about the idea of a  finished 71/72 SMiLE than a finished 67 SMiLE. The sound on Sunflower and Surf's Up is so amazing, some of my favorite production of all time. The 71 Surf's Up is so lush

I wouldn't get your hopes up.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »

teh

google doesn't recognize it? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=teh

Interesting.....I never knew tihs....... Grin
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2012, 06:03:36 PM »

Was much work really done on this in 72, or was it just contractual, and it didn't happen so they forfeited the money?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »

I wish I could remember where it came out and when but I know it was the early 70's. It was a typical hits compilation but to the best of my recollection, one side was:
3. Our Prayer (20/20)
4. Cabinessence (20/20)
5. Surf's Up (Surf's Up) 

Anyone know what this is?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2012, 02:51:50 AM »

Was much work really done on this in 72, or was it just contractual, and it didn't happen so they forfeited the money?

I think Carl & Stephen auditioned tapes, made a lot of copies (lucky they did - if they hadn't, the tapes might be worse off), but not much construction or sequencing, if indeed any at all, got done. I believe they really wanted to release Smile then (announcing it at gigs, etc), but then they also wanted Brian onboard and he didn't want to do it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »

I wouldn't get your hopes up.
i was speaking purely in terms of FANtasy
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »

BWPS is the completed work. It is legitimate in the eyes of everyone who matters. That does not mean it is a legitimate reproduction of what smile may have become in 1967 or 1971. But that does not mean it is not legitimate. That is like saying Back Home from 15 Big Ones is not legitimate because it was not a completed version from 1963.

This is a distinction I think it is important to be made when discussing smile.

That's a very good comparison.

I think we are over contemplating this. BWPS is Smile as completed in 2004; not Smile completed as it would have been in 1967. Pretty sure we can all agree on that.

I agree.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but a January 1967 Smile would have been totally terrible and so far from Brian's original vision if he had finished it in 1966. Like, what was he thinking still working on it, at that point? Don't get me started on the April 1967 version.

How do you define that "original vision"? At what point was that "original vision" left? Does it include "Look"? Or was that recorded before the "original vision"?

January version, well, that might have included Rock me Henry, so... er... Give me BWPS.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but a January 1967 Smile would have been totally terrible and so far from Brian's original vision if he had finished it in 1966. Like, what was he thinking still working on it, at that point? Don't get me started on the April 1967 version.

How do you define that "original vision"? At what point was that "original vision" left? Does it include "Look"? Or was that recorded before the "original vision"?

January version, well, that might have included Rock me Henry, so... er... Give me BWPS.

Was just joshin' ^_^ and thanks for partially proving what I was going for.

In 2012, Smile is whatever you want it to be, really. "Authentic" mix, inauthentic mix, stereo mix, mono mix, duophonic mix, BWPS, TSS, excluding "Look", including "Cool Cool Water", whatevz.

However it is not nor was it ever "SMiLE". ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »

3. Our Prayer (20/20)
4. Cabinessence (20/20)
5. Surf's Up (Surf's Up) 

Anyone know what this is?

Sound like the Capitol Years box set.  Wikipedia refers to a CD edition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Capitol_Years_%28The_Beach_Boys_album%29 but I have a vinyl copy and looking online, it appears to be from 1980 (I can't check it properly as my copy is on the other side of the world).   The first side of disc 5 runs thusly:

1. Good Vibrations
2. Wind Chimes
3. Cabinessence
4. Vegetables
5. Wonderful
6. Our Prayer
7. Heroes And Villains

All the standard album versions (though I believe Cabinessence is collapsed to mono).  I'm sure the booklet explicitly states that it's an attempt to reproduce a Smile listening experience.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »

lol thanks! Looks like they kinda failed with the "experience" though! haha

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx