gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681213 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 08:33:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322026 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 25, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »

More rampant Surf's Up speculation here: Does the copycat backing track they cut in '71 for the album still survive? And is it just the first half? That would be cool, I'd love to hear that.
What is this you describe?

During press for TSS, Alan and Mark (I think) mentioned that the original plan for Surf's Up in 1971 was to sync up Brian's demo to the original instrumental track. But as the tracks don't sync up and the technology wasn't there to sync them up like you can now, they made a replica backing track using many of the same musicians for the purpose. I presume that didn't work either, so they just got Carl to sing over the original.

(For the life of me I can't remember whether they said that session still existed in the vaults, but they did mention it)

This makes no sense.  If they couldn't sync the Brian vocal with the track, just have Brian sing a new vocal over the old track.  If you record a new part 1 track, you'd still need Brian or Carl to sing over it - you're not gaining anything, just use the original track.  I recall the story was Brian did attempt a new vocal over the original track, but couldn't or wouldn't do it satisfactorily so Carl stepped in.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 25, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »

Perhaps the '71 backing track put overdubs on Brian's '66 demo?

Also, I believe it was said recently that it wasn't Carl stepping up to do the vocal, but Brian actually asking Carl to do it after the couple failed attempts? amirite?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #552 on: September 27, 2012, 04:40:28 PM »

Let's hope that the recent falling out between the Brian/Al/David faction and the Mike/Bruce faction doesn't doom the box set. Presumably, both factions have to approve the contents.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »

Except... there is no falling out.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: September 27, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »

Exactly.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 27, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »

The only "falling" out are the tears from my eyes because of this thread being needlessly bumped.  Embarrassed
PhilCohen
« Reply #556 on: September 27, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »

Oh Yeah? You haven't been reading Brian Wilson's comments on how disappointed he is that Mike Love has opted to "fire" Brian, David & Al from the touring group.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 27, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »

Oh Yeah? You haven't been reading Brian Wilson's comments on how disappointed he is that Mike Love has opted to "fire" Brian, David & Al from the touring group.
c
Read some other threads around here for once for the truth of what is going on.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 27, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

No one was fired. I wish people would stay saying it like this, as it's entirely inaccurate ("fired" isn't much better, if at all).

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 28, 2012, 02:39:36 AM »

More rampant Surf's Up speculation here: Does the copycat backing track they cut in '71 for the album still survive? And is it just the first half? That would be cool, I'd love to hear that.
What is this you describe?

During press for TSS, Alan and Mark (I think) mentioned that the original plan for Surf's Up in 1971 was to sync up Brian's demo to the original instrumental track. But as the tracks don't sync up and the technology wasn't there to sync them up like you can now, they made a replica backing track using many of the same musicians for the purpose. I presume that didn't work either, so they just got Carl to sing over the original.

(For the life of me I can't remember whether they said that session still existed in the vaults, but they did mention it)

This makes no sense.  If they couldn't sync the Brian vocal with the track, just have Brian sing a new vocal over the old track.  If you record a new part 1 track, you'd still need Brian or Carl to sing over it - you're not gaining anything, just use the original track.  I recall the story was Brian did attempt a new vocal over the original track, but couldn't or wouldn't do it satisfactorily so Carl stepped in.

Brian did try, but not very hard iirc. He was very against it coming out.

The piano demo isn't formless or all over the place in terms of time/rhythm, it's just different to the '66 track. So, they would have been cutting the new track to the demo. They just really wanted Brian singing lead on it, sense be damned, I guess.

The chronology for that would be,

Surf's Up proposed for new record,
Brian says no or 'I don't wanna work on it'
Carl/Desper/Whoever remembers piano demo, solves problem of Brian leads on new record too.
Attempt to sync up demo and backing track fails.
Cut new backing track to demo,
Somehow unsatisfactory, back to original track.
Attempt to get Brian singing fails (either sh*te performance or he just doesn't bother)
Carl does it.

Then of course, Brian bursts in at the session for the final bit and tells them how to do it.

Perhaps the '71 backing track put overdubs on Brian's '66 demo?

Also, I believe it was said recently that it wasn't Carl stepping up to do the vocal, but Brian actually asking Carl to do it after the couple failed attempts? amirite?

Or indeed, this. They overdubbed bass & stuff to Brian's demo at the end after all.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:43:12 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 28, 2012, 04:23:24 AM »

So what all do we know about this box so far?
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 28, 2012, 04:33:33 AM »

Most of us know very little about it. There are those among us who probably know quite a bit, but aren't at liberty to divulge.

We know it's called "Made in California" and that it's 6 discs. We know it was supposed to be released in November, but is likely pushed back from that, possibly to January.

We know that some people care nothing about it other than that it includes the Dennis track "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again."

We know that the delay is because some people, according to someone at the grammy museum show, are "f***ing with the tracklist."

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: September 28, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »

Most of us know very little about it. There are those among us who probably know quite a bit, but aren't at liberty to divulge.

We know it's called "Made in California" and that it's 6 discs. We know it was supposed to be released in November, but is likely pushed back from that, possibly to January.

We know that some people care nothing about it other than that it includes the Dennis track "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again."

We know that the delay is because some people, according to someone at the grammy museum show, are "f***ing with the tracklist."

An admirably concise and entirely accurate summation of the status quo.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 28, 2012, 05:09:19 AM »

about surf's up.....in part 6 of the 6 part bbc bob harris the beach boys story special, jack tells of brian telling mo at a meeting that he was going to put the song on the lp. jack then says brian helped (whatever that is). he also says they re-recorded "the first part of the track" but it wasn't up to par so they "scrapped" it. but he doesn't say if it was thrown away.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
PhilCohen
« Reply #564 on: September 28, 2012, 05:20:18 AM »

With each passing month & season, fewer & fewer people are going to care whether Capitol ever releases this box set. If The Beach Boys can't stop arguing amongst themselves and permit the box set to be released, then it may be much simpler for Capitol to resume production of the "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" box.

The games being played with the fans over this (mythical?) "Made in California" box set typify why I increasingly despise the music industry. And, on top of that, the "Small Faces" box and the "Paul McCartney-Wings Over America" box & the "Wings-Rockshow" DVD & Blu-ray releases also bit the dust, going to long-term(possibly permanent) limbo.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 28, 2012, 05:26:32 AM »

Here we go again....

One point though, will any future releases be delayed by Universal's takeover of EMI, or will all scheduled releases go ahead as planned ? The Beatles vinyl remasters will be ok, and I'm sure the proximity to Christmas will be a major sales opportunity for Made In California. Having raised the question, I have every faith that this set will be out within the next couple of months...
PhilCohen
« Reply #566 on: September 28, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »

Here we go again....

One point though, will any future releases be delayed by Universal's takeover of EMI, or will all scheduled releases go ahead as planned ? The Beatles vinyl remasters will be ok, and I'm sure the proximity to Christmas will be a major sales opportunity for Made In California. Having raised the question, I have every faith that this set will be out within the next couple of months...

Universal will be permitted to take over Capitol intact, so it will probably have no effect on future Beach Boys CD releases. But the long-term interpersonal hatreds between the now-elderly Beach Boys WILL be a factor.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:13 AM »

With each passing month & season, fewer & fewer people are going to care whether Capitol ever releases this box set. If The Beach Boys can't stop arguing amongst themselves and permit the box set to be released, then it may be much simpler for Capitol to resume production of the "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" box.

The games being played with the fans over this (mythical?) "Made in California" box set typify why I increasingly despise the music industry. And, on top of that, the "Small Faces" box and the "Paul McCartney-Wings Over America" box & the "Wings-Rockshow" DVD & Blu-ray releases also bit the dust, going to long-term(possibly permanent) limbo.

You're probably the biggest fucking idiot there is. Since you are so sure that Made In California won't come out, we should make a deal that you will possibly leave the board if it is indeed released. Or even better, we could have a thread where you publicly apologize to all of us for your sky is falling garbage.

And now onto more pressing issues. Who cares about the Small Faces box? And Wings Over America? Really? I could think of many other McCartney things I'm more looking forward to: deluxe versions of Red Rose Speedway, London Town, or Tug of War. Who cares about reissuing a live album?
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 28, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »

And now onto more pressing issues. Who cares about the Small Faces box?

Uh, really? I care as much as I care about the Beach Boys box set - and many others do too. Small Faces is among my favourite bands for sure.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:52:43 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: September 28, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »

Wings Over America is my favorite Paul McCartney live album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:29 AM »

Wow. Sweetdudejim ain't really sweet, is he.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 28, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »

And now onto more pressing issues. Who cares about the Small Faces box? And Wings Over America? Really? I could think of many other McCartney things I'm more looking forward to: deluxe versions of Red Rose Speedway, London Town, or Tug of War. Who cares about reissuing a live album?

I do, very much. If you don't like the Small Faces, one of the greatest rock and roll bands ever, that's no one else's problem and you shouldn't assume others share the same opinion. I am very excited about the Wings Over America/Rockshow project, I am extremely fond of both album and film. A live album isn't immediately a lesser artistic achievement, you know. I'm glad folks didn't have that attitude when Live At Leeds was about to be given a deluxe edition.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
PhilCohen
« Reply #572 on: September 28, 2012, 10:01:01 AM »

I do, very much. If you don't like the Small Faces, one of the greatest rock and roll bands ever, that's no one else's problem and you shouldn't assume others share the same opinion. I am very excited about the Wings Over America/Rockshow project, I am extremely fond of both album and film. A live album isn't immediately a lesser artistic achievement, you know. I'm glad folks didn't have that attitude when Live At Leeds was about to be given a deluxe edition.

By the way, it's the requirement(from EU regulators who approved Universal's takeover of EMI) that Universal must sell off "Sanctuary Music" within 6 months, which may mean a long-term halt on future archival products by Sanctuary's best known back catalogue artists, The Kinks & Small Faces.

In the case of the McCartney/Wings CD box set & DVD/Bluray projects, despite the fact that McCartney's manager Scott Rodger offered them for 2012 release, the motive behind putting the projects in limbo is to avoid competing against The Beatles vinyl reissues and the "Magical Mystery Tour" DVD & Blu-Ray reissues.

But, back to The Beach Boys. It's seems that Mike Love is unaware (or oblivious to) the idea that he will go down in history as a villain of The Beach Boys' story.

First, he was the guy who caused the 1966/67 "Smile" sessions to collapse, causing cousin Brian to descend into two decades of mental illness.(In reality, Love's bad attitude was one of several reasons behind the collapse of "Smile")

Then, in Brian's absence, Love was the guy who caused the group to abandon its attempts at contemporary music, turning The Beach Boys into a nostagia act at a time when the group members ranged from 27 to 34(Love being 34 at the time)

And finally, Mike Love destroys the 2012 Beach Boys reunion, supposedly because touring with his tribute band is more profitable for Mike Love. Has Love ever heard of the expression "You Can't Take It With You When You Go"?

You'd think that at age 71 that Mike Love would be mature enough to learn from his past mistakes, but Mike Love will always be Mike Love.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »

Phil, you are so full of sh*t. Even when the truth is laid in front of you, you persist in prolonging the myth. What a swell guy!

Now, get out there and debunk those myths.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:25:32 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 28, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »

This "posting" by Phil has to end at some point. He doesn't like the BBs, only posts here because he was banned everywhere else on the Internet.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx