gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681342 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 02:01:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322384 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »

same diff.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 19, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »

Good things come to those who wait.

Death by old age, for instance.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 19, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »

Better to wait for a perfect track listing than to have it reissued three times to fix mistakes like with the Endless Harmony soundtrack.
I thought it was just twice released with two different covers

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 19, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »

Better to wait for a perfect track listing than to have it reissued three times to fix mistakes like with the Endless Harmony soundtrack.

There's a promo version with a slightly different ten second bit of talking...one of the radio promos or something.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: September 19, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »

There's a promo version with a slightly different ten second bit of talking...one of the radio promos or something.

I believe the second version (with the white cover) has an all acapella Surfer Girl instead of the binaural version, and a different radio promo spot. I have the original release (orange) and never heard the acapella Surfer Girl.

EDIT: Or whatever, check this out:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17.msg59765.html#msg59765

BTW if anyone happens to have the acapella Surfer Girl version, I'd love to take a listen
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:22:28 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 19, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

They can delay it all they want if it's to compile a better tracklist. Good things come to those who wait.

It could go either way. A positive spin is that they are adding more rarities, better sources, or new mixes.
On the downside, Mike Love could be demanding that "Slow Summer Dancin'" be included in place of Wouldn't It Be Nice To Love Again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 19, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »

Good things come to those who wait.

Death by old age, for instance.

Nah if I could choose I'd like to go out like John Entwhistle did.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 19, 2012, 04:35:23 PM »

I'm hoping we hear Surf's Up '98 on the box. Though it probably wouldn't fit within the context of a Beach Boys' box set. Maybe on a future BW-solo anthology type of thing.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 19, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »

I'm hoping we hear Surf's Up '98 on the box. Though it probably wouldn't fit within the context of a Beach Boys' box set. Maybe on a future BW-solo anthology type of thing.

What is Surf's Up '98?  I've not heard of that.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 19, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 19, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »

?

Now keep in mind I am not kidding. But Brian actually recorded a version with Carnie or Wendy (can't remember), with Joe Thomas co-producing in 1998. I would be interested to hear it. But I'm surely not expecting it to replace the 1971 version or the 1967 solo take as my favorites.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:34:18 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #511 on: September 19, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »

When the artwork changed, "California Girls" & "Kiss Me Baby" changed from the superb Andrew Sandoval stereo remixes, to the narrower, shriller Mark Linett stereo remixes, apparently at The Beach Boys' request.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 19, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »

?

Now keep in mind I am not kidding. But Brian actually recorded a version with Carnie or Wendy (can't remember), with Joe Thomas co-producing in 1998. I would be interested to hear it. But I'm surely not expecting it to replace the 1971 version or the 1971 solo take as my favorites.

Oh I heard about that!!! I'd love to hear it, Imagine if... it's more then we think?

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 19, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »

?

Now keep in mind I am not kidding. But Brian actually recorded a version with Carnie or Wendy (can't remember), with Joe Thomas co-producing in 1998. I would be interested to hear it. But I'm surely not expecting it to replace the 1971 version or the 1971 solo take as my favorites.

Oh I heard about that!!! I'd love to hear it, Imagine if... it's more then we think?

Yeah, you never know. One thing's for sure, the vocal arrangements BW / JT were doing in '98 were top notch.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 19, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »

agreed, YI has some of BW's best vocal arrangements

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 19, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »

I hope southbay doesn't mind, but I thought this would be an interesting post from the Grammy thread to post in here as it quite relevant:

Had the chance to meet Mark London who was very nice and gave some great insight into the box set (it IS coming out, never fear). Mark is in charge of the entire Booklet, approx 80 pages.  Will be filled with NUMEROUS unreleased and unseen photos. Said he was given access to a box of photos that had been stored in Brian's garage for years. ASked him iof the boys themselves had any input in the tracklist--"oh absolutely!" As for a release date, he still says November is possibile, but may indeed be pushed back because they "just f*cked with the tracklist" . There will be a lot of unrealeased material, but he didn't go into specifics.

Sounds promising.  They'd be foolhardy in my opinion not to release it in time for the Christmas market.  Box sets from what I understand aren't the easiest sell in this digital marketplace and while they will always make coin off the diehards, I'm sure that Capitol would just love to have to impulse holiday baby boomer bucks in their coffers.  But then again, their plan is their plan.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #516 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:11 AM »

Look people, Phil Cohen is not paranoid or mad or any of those things, he is quite clearly just deliberately saying things to get a rise out of people and cause a reaction. Pathetic? Yes. Paranoid and/or mad? No. So please stop rising to it and let's just all from this moment on just COMPLETELY IGNORE HIS POSTS!

Please, do not reply to him or remark on him from this moment on, otherwise he'll never go away. Stop playing his game. It's a blatant wind up.

You were not here during the Smile sessions drama

No, but i've read it. It's a wind up folks.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 20, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »

More rampant Surf's Up speculation here: Does the copycat backing track they cut in '71 for the album still survive? And is it just the first half? That would be cool, I'd love to hear that.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 20, 2012, 03:44:28 AM »

I doubt it would be released, however it probably exists, and was probably considered for the Smile sessions

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 20, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »

Do we actually know for a fact that the box set has been delayed or are we just going by that website that gave it a January 2013 release date?

There's a good chance, IMHO, that it'll be January. Just found this on the web site of my eminently trustworthy and serious retailer (fact: he never gets it wrong in these matters, if there's any doubt he puts in '2099' as the year of release; and he never just copies info from other, e.g. Czech, sites, he gets it from the distributor).

Go to: http://www.kroese-online.nl/artikel/3018996/Beach_Boys/Made_In_California_-ltd-

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »

More rampant Surf's Up speculation here: Does the copycat backing track they cut in '71 for the album still survive? And is it just the first half? That would be cool, I'd love to hear that.

Do want.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: September 20, 2012, 10:33:12 AM »

Do we actually know for a fact that the box set has been delayed or are we just going by that website that gave it a January 2013 release date?

There's a good chance, IMHO, that it'll be January. Just found this on the web site of my eminently trustworthy and serious retailer (fact: he never gets it wrong in these matters, if there's any doubt he puts in '2099' as the year of release; and he never just copies info from other, e.g. Czech, sites, he gets it from the distributor).

Go to: http://www.kroese-online.nl/artikel/3018996/Beach_Boys/Made_In_California_-ltd-

OH. MY. GOD. Delayed a whole two months. I'm SO HUMILIATED.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »

Phil's gonna have a field day with this......

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 20, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »

'Don't feed the troll' seems woefully inadequate on a site where they are fed, clothed, housed and set up with incredibly easy jobs with great salaries. Just sayin'  LOL
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »

well the world IS suppsed to end Dec 21st,so i guess we'll NEVER get to hear the boxset if the date has been change to Jan...oh well.. Cry Cry
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx