gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681211 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 08:24:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322024 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #400 on: September 17, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »

The worse thing about this is that Phil will now post a long-winded diatribe against Capitol, The Beach Boys and Andrew.

Well, then, here it goes. Mr.Doe has always seen our disputes in terms of one person "winning" & another person "losing". Funny, I thought that all people who collect the music of The Beach Boys were "winners" when The Beach Boys & Capitol Records finally announced the release of "The Smile Sessions", then they followed through and actually released it. Under Mr.Doe's winner/loser system, I just won this round. The record company who(earlier this year) promised a Beach Boys career-spanning box set "Later this year" have failed to deliver the goods. I may have "won" this round, but, in fact, all of the people who collect the music of The Beach Boys now "lose". My victory is nothing to smile or gloat about.
                               As a collector of recorded music for more than 46 years, obviously, there are other groups that I collect avidly, including hard rock, early British beat groups and even progressive rock. Today, I am reeling from multiple bummers from the music industry which have hit me like a ton of bricks.

1. The Small Faces box set(from Universal Music/UK) has met the same fate as The Beach Boys "Made in California" box. Though mastered earlier this summer, the Small Faces box set was going to be a 5-CD box in a large box filled with memorabilia(not unlike the Pink Floyd "Immersion" boxes), and the compiler & creators of the Small Faces box got in over their heads.

2. Another group that I've been collecting for many years(since 1970) is the group and solo/spinoff recordings of the British hard rock group "Deep Purple". Though it was unknown to fans until a week ago, Purple compiler, fanzine operator and (later) website operator Simon Robinson had, since 1995, been the custodian & caretaker of all of the group's 1968-76 multitracks and masters, at an industrial park in Sheffield, England, and he would let EMI & Warner Brothers "borrow" tapes from this archive as needed for projects. The wills of original Purple managers Tony Edwards & John Coletta specified that after they had both died, that Robinson's posession of the tapes would end, and that Robinson would surrender/deliver the tapes to EMI's Abbey Road Studios, and so Robinson complied. But worse yet, litigation has now erupted between various surviving Purple members and the Edwards/Coletta estates, and possibly involving EMI. And the result? Robinson's 35 year tenure as compiler of Deep Purple's music will likely end, and, subsequent to an October/November 2012 pointless EMI/UK "Machine Head" box set(with not one note of previously unreleased music), there will be no further Deep Purple archival CD product for years to come, due to the litigation. As for Robinson, he has done a consistently superb job of compiling for 35 years, and been guardian of the tapes for 27 years. That there may be no further Deep Purple archival CD product may, in reality, be a moot point, since Robinson compiled expanded editions of every 1968-76 Purple studio & live album, and the archives have been 98% strip-mined of outtakes & unreleased songs.

3. There has still been no confirmed release date for Paul McCartney's "Rockshow" DVD & Blu-Ray release from Eagle Rock Entertainment or a confirmed release date for the "Wings Over America" CD box set from Concord Music.

Oh well, I'll have more money available to buy holiday presents for relatives this Christmastime. But I am still hopeful that scheduled DVD & Blu-Ray discs from The Rolling Stones & The Beatles will be released with no hang-ups.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2012, 12:24:35 PM »

Mods, please ban this asshole already! He doesn't want any BBs material to be released for the sake of his sick obsession of taking on AGD.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:27:00 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 17, 2012, 12:25:46 PM »

He only speaks truth. Leave him alone for now.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »

Mods, please ban this asshole already! He doesn't want any BBs material to be released for the sake of his sick obsession of taking on AGD.

Why ban him?? Why what he wrote above would make him an asshole??
What's with the attitude of some people here?

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 17, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »

He always provides proof with his opinions, so sorry If you dislike the truth sometimes, even if it is exaggerated.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 17, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »

I can't believe we're going over this again.

He spends 99% of his time here whinging about how sh*t is never going to be released. He barely contributes to the myriad of other threads on the board, spending his time playing the worlds smallest violin in threads like these and the remaster threads. And TSS thread last year.

He has nary a trace of optimism or patience in his body.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 17, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »

I actually thought it was an interesting post...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: September 17, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »

it's so annoying having to read people complaining about other posters. and I realize that's what I'm doing now. but just ignore it. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »

Again and Again, month after month I've asked for a suicide emoticon. Where is my suicide emoticon? It needs to be posted in this thread right now.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 17, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »

Phil's a riot, let him be..

He's probably the only person in the world counting the days for a Paul McCartney "rockshow" dvd release, he obviously going to be a bit of a nut
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:56:45 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: September 17, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »

Again and Again, month after month I've asked for a suicide emoticon. Where is my suicide emoticon? It needs to be posted in this thread right now.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
PhilCohen
« Reply #411 on: September 17, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »

Phil's a riot, let him be..

He probably the only person in the world counting the days for a Paul McCartney "rockshow" dvd release, he obviously going to be a bit of a nut

Well, no previous VHS or Laserdisc release of "Rockshow" had the complete concert. The new DVD & Blu-Ray releases will have 7 songs more than any previous home video release.
PhilCohen
« Reply #412 on: September 17, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »

Bottom Line: Beach Boys Bummer: No box set. To get scorched on overpriced Japanese CD 's, and now this.  Sad
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 17, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »

Bottom Line: Beach Boys Bummer: No box set. To get scorched on overpriced Japanese CD 's, and now this.  Sad
Violin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 17, 2012, 01:05:02 PM »

Look at this way, Phil - if it wasn't for you buying some CDs, the suits at EMI/Capitol USA wouldn't have got the idea to release them worldwide. It was solely EMI Japan's game until suddenly everyone was interested. Small comfort, I know.

Also, the EMI distributor hasn't changed its date from 16/11/2012, which other sites back up. One sketchy website no-one has ever heard of claims an arbitrary date. Infer from that what you will.

Cheer up!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 17, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »

Why do we bet on the dates we hear about before the press release?

doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »

Can we all agree that a two-month delay (if the delay is even happening) wouldn't be that big of a deal?

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 17, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »

This discorder.com page doesn't look very professional or trust-worthy anyhow.

Neither does Brian Wilson (and when he does it looks creepy and very unnatural), but God bless him, he comes through for us every time.

Oh, I'm just saying I think it will come out sooner then what that site claims Wink

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
PhilCohen
« Reply #418 on: September 17, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »

Here's a quote from the rock group "Queen"(on their album "The Game"):

Don't Try Suicide, Nobody Cares
Don't Try Suicide, You're Just Gonna Hate It
Don't Try Suicide, Nobody Gives a Damn
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: September 17, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »

The worse thing about this is that Phil will now post a long-winded diatribe against Capitol, The Beach Boys and Andrew.

Well, then, here it goes. Mr.Doe has always seen our disputes in terms of one person "winning" & another person "losing".

Wrong - I've invariably seen it as you talking depressive yet complete bollocks without having the first idea what's really going on and me pointing out the latter fact for the sake of anyone who might be misguided enough to believe you.

Here's the bottom line - everything, but EVERYTHING you've claimed would never be released, has been. This winning streak will continue for the forseeable future. Fact.  Grin

Also, if the box is bounced to 2013, it's nothing new: there was a box supposed to be released in 1966 that was over a year late, and as I recall the delay didn't hurt it at all. Can't speak for Mr.Piss-on-everyone's-parade, but life will go on for me, and I'm sure the delay will be worth the wait. Took 44 years to get the Smile sessions out...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:34:22 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 18, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »

Well, then, here it goes. Mr.Doe has always seen our disputes in terms of one person "winning" & another person "losing".

Wrong - I've invariably seen it as you talking depressive yet complete bollocks without having the first idea what's really going on and me pointing out the latter fact for the sake of anyone who might be misguided enough to believe you.

Here's the bottom line - everything, but EVERYTHING you've claimed would never be released, has been. This winning streak will continue for the forseeable future. Fact.  Grin

Also, if the box is bounced to 2013, it's nothing new: there was a box supposed to be released in 1966 that was over a year late, and as I recall the delay didn't hurt it at all. Can't speak for Mr.Piss-on-everyone's-parade, but life will go on for me, and I'm sure the delay will be worth the wait. Took 44 years to get the Smile sessions out...

I take it you meant 1996 instead of 1966?

correcting AGD is a pleasurable thing...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 18, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »

I'd hazard that you're probably the bigger asshole.  Afro

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 18, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »

Yeah, Andrew seems to be wrong on this one.  Wasn't Neil Young's Decade supposed to be the first box set, more than 10 years after this supposed 1966 set Andrew mentions?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:33 AM »

AGD IS A PHONEY! A BIG PHONEY!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: September 18, 2012, 01:30:12 AM »

No. it's a well-known fact that the original release format for Pet Sounds was going to be a 13-disc box comprising single sided 78s of each track for the best possible fidelity. It was finally released in fall 1967. I have the only known copy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx