gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 01:53:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre "UPDATE"  (Read 44508 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »

A mass produced 50 track 2 cd "best of" for the casual fan, a more limited edition rarities collection for the more hardcore fan. Come on, it ain't rocket science.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »

All this configuration talk aside, one thing I've thought about over the last few days...

If they ever *do* decide to do another comprehensive, career-spanning, multi-disc box set, my perfect ending to the whole shebang would be "Summer's Gone" as the final track, and after that long trail out, leading into (either hidden or otherwise) that superb, Rolling Stone acoustic version of "Surfer Girl"  -- which I would hope they could license specifically for this. The perfect, full-circle ending IMHO. Just the core group (+Jeff) in perfect harmony. The way it started...and the way it should end. Sublime.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »

All this configuration talk aside, one thing I've thought about over the last few days...

If they ever *do* decide to do another comprehensive, career-spanning, multi-disc box set, my perfect ending to the whole shebang would be "Summer's Gone" as the final track, and after that long trail out, leading into (either hidden or otherwise) that superb, Rolling Stone acoustic version of "Surfer Girl"  -- which I would hope they could license specifically for this. The perfect, full-circle ending IMHO. Just the core group (+Jeff) in perfect harmony. The way it started...and the way it should end. Sublime.
Great idea. Those recent RS performances are top-notch indeed. (Don' forget Totten, though.  Wink)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »

Great idea. Those recent RS performances are top-notch indeed. (Don' forget Totten, though.  Wink)

Yes. I stand corrected. Jeff and Scott. Smiley
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »

I wish they'd release those Rolling Stone acoustic sessions. I'd love to have those on my iTunes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »

Again, Al was VERY specific in referring to it, "50 Big Ones", with new material, as a "BOX SET". Just sayin he was sayin.
Talked a lot about recording "Waves of Love" for it, in a slower tempo arrangement.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 24, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »

I listened to the album 5 times in traveling along the 60 freeway here in LA to help a friend move, 3-4 trips.  Every time a song came up, I wanted to turn up the cd player (pretty good sound on Lexus 350, with treble turned up so I can hear the snaps on PLOBAS!).  But when I got to Jeff's part on IIT, I had to turn down the volume; it just sounds bad, and I am not surprised that it is this awkward bridge that has drawn the attention of the BB (and whatever other force is in control the the single production). So I hope that for the single and for any other new version of the songs from TWGMTR that any of those moments when a non-BB voice sings alone (it's only Jeff) ought to be re-recorded or re-mixed so that the voices blend.  I think they were too generous in thinking something like "let's give Jeff a couple of moments," which sounded like a good idea before they proved themselves.  But now that so much critical and artistic success is upon them, the BB must think that that cameo--or act of pinch-hitting--sticks out like a sore thumb.

So that's what I want from any new release of the versions of the songs--and from any new album.

I have pre-ordered the Do it again CD (it's been a while since we talked about how great that is (Jeff is good on the high parts there) and how excellent Dave's 2 guitar tracks are.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 24, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »

50 Big Ones sounds like a fine title for a 2CD 50th anniversary GH collection, but not a"career-spanning" box set. Just saying...

Yes it does.  Hopefully, Al has intertwined both projects in his mind.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 24, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »

As I recall, AGD said Alan Boyd wasn't involved so my expectations fell like a rock.

Alan Boyd has been seriously ill for who knows how long, so I like to think his lack of involvement is down to that and that Mark Linett and Dennis Wolfe (Who seems to know his sh*t) can easily pick up the ball.

Alan is the BB archivist.  I believe when AGD said Alan wasnʻt involved it was before Alan was taken ill.
In any event, AGD will know whatʻs coming, the why and how when it is..........

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 24, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »

Great guy but I don't think he sang on the Rolling stone performances

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

If they ever *do* decide to do another comprehensive, career-spanning, multi-disc box set, my perfect ending to the whole shebang would be "Summer's Gone" as the final track, and after that long trail out, leading into (either hidden or otherwise) that superb, Rolling Stone acoustic version of "Surfer Girl"  -- which I would hope they could license specifically for this. The perfect, full-circle ending IMHO. Just the core group (+Jeff) in perfect harmony. The way it started...and the way it should end. Sublime.
Great idea. Those recent RS performances are top-notch indeed. (Don' forget Totten, though.  Wink)

Great guy but I don't think he sang on the Rolling stone performances
At least not in the released video clips. But he played guitar. So he is to credit.  Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »

It's best to assume that there is going to be a 2-CD hits compilation, basically probably a variation of  "Sounds of Summer" and "Warmth of the Sun" combined, maybe with a few "new" things to get hardcore fans to buy it.

I feel it's better to hope that the outlet for "outtakes" will be either a newer actual "boxed set", sort of a newer version of the '93 GV set, and/or some outtakes on expanded reissues of the album back catalog.

It can't all happen at once, because the ideal situation would be, in no particular order:

New 2-CD "Hits" Compilation
Newer career-spanning "boxed set"
Expanded album reissues (some or all albums) with mono mixes and bonus tracks
Live DVD/Blu-ray from the tour
Live CD set from the tour
Another new album?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 24, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »

It's best to assume that there is going to be a 2-CD hits compilation, basically probably a variation of  "Sounds of Summer" and "Warmth of the Sun" combined, maybe with a few "new" things to get hardcore fans to buy it.

I feel it's better to hope that the outlet for "outtakes" will be either a newer actual "boxed set", sort of a newer version of the '93 GV set, and/or some outtakes on expanded reissues of the album back catalog.

It can't all happen at once, because the ideal situation would be, in no particular order:

Another new album?

It it happened like that we would be the most spoilt fans on the planet..

*fingers crossed*

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 24, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »

50 Big Ones sounds like a fine title for a 2CD 50th anniversary GH collection, but not a"career-spanning" box set. Just saying...

I will take this as word that 50 Big Ones is the hits album. Which sounds fine to me. I wonder how many of the 50 will be new songs. I assume the new version of "Isn't It Time" will be one, but who knows about the rest. I would like to hear The Beach Boys version of "Waves of Love", but I'm still not sure it'll make it this time, if Brian didn't care much for it last time. I am intrigued to see if the rest of the "new" songs will be re-records from the last album, or if they are new songs we don't know about. Another thing I wonder is if the new songs will be included on the box too, or if they will just be for the hits album. Even if they end up only being on the hits album, I wouldn't be mad, since that would probably clear out more room on the box set for previously unreleased stuff from the '60s and '70s.

And since AGD isn't freaking out, then I won't either. I'm assuming both are still on track to come out this year. However, I do wonder if they still need to record the new material, cuz as Al makes it sound, they do. Which would mean they'd probably have to wait until September to record. I wonder if they'd still get this stuff out by, say....November? I suppose it's possible. But anyways, I'm still hopeful we'll get both sets before the year is it.

Another new album?

If we got all that, I would be quite happy. I would like to see all their albums reissued as stand alone CDs in the US, but if they don't do that, I think it would still be cool if they did deluxe editions of Sunflower and Surf's Up, highlighting those two albums, as they are generally thought of as worthy successors to Pet Sounds.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2012, 09:23:10 PM »

Seems like a combination of "crazy Jardine stuff" -- which is an actual phenomenon -- and some accurate info. Wouldn't be surprised to hear the redone "Isn't It Time," and possibly a somewhat stripped down version of another track on one of the new collections.

All that being said, a 50-track collection just cannot be the career-spanning boxed set.  Not with the money to be made by releasing something truly mammoth (a la the Smile box). But we'll see. Things in BB land are always in some sort of flux ...

Remember, Al was the guy who let slip the reunion tour and we all dissed it as wishful thinking.  Same with the Smile box - Al let it slip.
Certainly we here on the board wan vault material but 50 Big Ones, as Al described it, is career spanning.

Iʻm certainly not happy about it. Just hearing Desper has a Sail on Sailor mix with a Carl lead squirreled away makes me nuts. WIBNTLA............. UGH!
He never said that. At least that's not how I understtod it in the thread about it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »

Yes.

Yes.

Doubt it very, very strongly.

Hopefully. But does the Doin' It Again release mean this won't happen?

I'm personally doubtful, but maybe.

Another new album

We shall see!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »

I hope they strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. The Beach Boys are more current than ever, but with the USA tour already done, it would make sense to not wait too long to make the next move - in this case, the box. Hopefully it comes out soon and proves to be a nice seller.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »

WHy the doubt about the Live CD? That seems like one of the easiest things to do, even easier than a DVD.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2012, 11:34:25 PM »

I have pre-ordered the Do it again CD (it's been a while since we talked about how great that is (Jeff is good on the high parts there) and how excellent Dave's 2 guitar tracks are.

What Do It Again CD, please?

“We live in divisive times.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 25, 2012, 12:15:21 AM »

WHy the doubt about the Live CD? That seems like one of the easiest things to do, even easier than a DVD.

How many new live CDs have you seen on sale recently?

How many have you bought?

The market has largely (with a handful of exceptions) moved to visual media.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 25, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »

"Iʻm certainly not happy about it. Just hearing Desper has a Sail on Sailor mix with a Carl lead squirreled away makes me nuts. WIBNTLA............. UGH!"

Desper said that he had a copy in storage...but was not sure what happened to the original.  Alan Boyd came and made copies of everything that seemed important in Desper's collection...so the 1971 version of Sail On, Sailor with Carl on lead is out there.  To not make it available would be a serious missed chance...as well as WIBNTLA.  I don't need a massive raid on the vaults...but a decent smattering of unreleased tracks (like what we saw on the GV set) would be welcome...especially if it's music that has not already been booted.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »

Doubt it very, very strongly.

Well, they exist somewhere in the world. A part of this reunion I was looking forward to was a re-evaluation of the catalogue outside of a boxset.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »

"Iʻm certainly not happy about it. Just hearing Desper has a Sail on Sailor mix with a Carl lead squirreled away makes me nuts. WIBNTLA............. UGH!"

Desper said that he had a copy in storage...but was not sure what happened to the original.  Alan Boyd came and made copies of everything that seemed important in Desper's collection...so the 1971 version of Sail On, Sailor with Carl on lead is out there. 

Emphasis mine. The fact that Boyd hasn't said word one about any such Carl lead at any time over the last few years speaks volumes to me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 26, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »

The discussion about this track elsewhere on the forum was very interesting, yet, filled with conflicting information.  "Sail On, Sailor" appears to be the most mysterious officially released track they've ever put out...at least as far as origins go.  Desper has made the claim that Brian worked off and on the track throughout late 1971 and that the track was essentially "finished" before they left for Holland.  He backs up his story with a lot of info...so I don't know what to believe.  I always thought the "cut the crap, Brian" cassette was from early 1972??  If you go with the Desper story...this was just one of many tracks that Brian was working on from about 1969 through 1972...some of which were never finished.  I was also always under the impression that Brian's involvement in the recording of that track was minimal...but Desper has stated that it's Brian playing the piano and that he can also be heard in the vocal mix.  I'd love to know the true story of this tracks genesis.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »

The 'cut the crap' cassette seemingly dates from late 1972, after the Reprise suits listened to the original Holland master and didn't hear a single. SWD told me back in 1985 that he'd worked on "SO,S" with Brian in late 1971, and that what he heard on the album sounded awfully familiar. Of course, this somewhat contradicts the preceding statement... unless someone heard the cassette, recalled the song and pulled the Desper/Wilson tape from the archive. These are The Beach Boys, after all. Stranger things have happened.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx