gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:58:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soulful Old Man Sunshine  (Read 20377 times)
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »

I think this song would have been lost on the 1969 audience, at least in the US.  It would have been a massive hit everywhere else. 

Personally, if this song had to be hidden away for so many years, at least we fans had the absolute joy of discovery the day Endless Harmony was released.  I still remember reading the posts on rec.music.artists.beach-boys and alt.music.beach-boys totally gushing over it. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:20:18 PM by Margarita » Logged

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 08:29:19 PM »

Well, the first time I heard it (on Endless Harmony) I was blown away.  This is a lost Beach Boys track?  It may have been cobbled together in 1993 or whatever...but the parts were there for a truly great song.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »

They still ought to release this as a single at some point, or get someone to place it on a movie soundtrack.

My mind is still boggled as to why they sat on this and didn't try to rerecord it.  It just screams hit.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 09:32:45 PM »

the Endless Harmony soundtrack has so many absolute gems.

Soulful Old Man (both versions)
Humble Harv demo
Sail Plane Song
Breakaway demo
God Only Knows '67
Til I Die extended version

and I love me some WonderBill too.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »

Great song, but the wrong direction for the band. It sounds like the Spiral Staircase and other one-hit AM Top 40 bands of the era.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:52 PM »

it's in the same vein as Breakaway, with the big swinging horn sound. probably wouldn't have been a huge hit but definitely should have been finished and released. not like they were having much luck finding the right direction in 1969 anyway.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »

I know it's a really unique sound, but I never bought the 'wrong direction' idea... it's not miles different from something like "I Can Hear Music", harmonies 10 feet deep, everything over the top, etc.  It was different but it's not like it was a country single or something. 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 04:23:51 AM »

Am I right in thinking completed multi tracks for this are missing for the verse?  The verse on all versions I've heard is mono.  Did that come from a rough mix?  Hang on, I'll just check AGD's site instead Smiley

Yeah, I think so - maybe check the Linett or Boyd threads here?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SBonilla
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 05:39:21 AM »

Great song, but the wrong direction for the band. It sounds like the Spiral Staircase and other one-hit AM Top 40 bands of the era.
Bingo! With 98.6's type melody in the verses.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »

There was a time when some though Pet Sounds was the wrong direction for the band!  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 06:18:27 AM »

I don't feel it would have been a good direction for the band in terms of their entire sound becoming this, but as a one-off thing it's just great and absolutely deserved a spot on an album back then. I don't know about hit potential, but again, it's really frigging good and deserved a spot on an album.

*insert Rieley's "they blew it" quote*

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:11 AM »

I think it's pointless to talk about directions with Beach Boys' golden era. Their albums were all over the place! All I Want To Do sitting snuggly next to The Nearest Faraway Place, and an album side starting with an ancient folk song ending with something as cutting edge as Cabinessence. And that's one of the reasons why I love them. Screw directions, let the music show the way!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 06:57:03 AM »

I think it's pointless to talk about directions with Beach Boys' golden era. Their albums were all over the place! All I Want To Do sitting snuggly next to The Nearest Faraway Place, and an album side starting with an ancient folk song ending with something as cutting edge as Cabinessence. And that's one of the reasons why I love them. Screw directions, let the music show the way!

Good point - and all the better the case for this song having a spot on an album back then. Can't change history, obviously, but yeah. YEHAH#@HFiii

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »

I got a question.  Could it be that the version we've heard, wasn't ever completed back in the day?  For instance, maybe they never mixed it properly or something, so the boys never heard it in the beautiful unbelievable oh my f***ing god I can't believe they never released this version that we all know and love?  I know about the Carl vox mistake, but hell anybody could have touched that up, they could have even deleted that whole line if they couldn't have taped either a new line or just spliced in something from the other 100 times he says "Sun" in the song.  

IIRC, Brian and Rick Henn wrote the tune, but Rick did the track session - Brian then took it to the group, who weren't very enthusiastic (the fools!) so after some initial work they junked it. It was in bits and pieces in the vault (like, nothing approaching a finished mix of any of the elements). They assembled it (which apparently wasn't easy) for the 93 box, Carl wasn't happy with his vocal from back then - the flub, mostly - so it waited until Endless Harmony.

Carl's 'shunshine' flub was the reason that Carl didn't want the song on the '93 box, but I think he had issues with the song when it was recorded, which is why they never finished it in the first place.  I may be one of a very few here who thinks the song is just okay.  I like the big group harmony part, but I'm not fond of the 'feel' of the track.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »

does anybody else hear drips?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »

I used to love this song. Then AGD commented on how someone had told him this song sounds like an ad jingle for shampoo (or something like that). I can't listen to it any differently now.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »

does anybody else hear drips?

Yes. sh*t drives me crazy, as they sound much like a sound assigned to error messages on some super old version of a Mac or Windows OS - I think the former.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »

Personally I don't like this song and don't think it would have been a hit. Just my opinion though!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »

I love the song but at the time, it seems that the Beach Boys were sort of trying to present a hipper, earthier image, and I'm not sure if a song that jazzy and sunshiney would have been the smash you all seem convinced it would have been.

it sounds pretty much like it coulda been right next to Add Some Music To Your Day. And wasn't Al still working on Loop De Loop when this was recorded? Hah, the fool!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »

I used to love this song. Then AGD commented on how someone had told him this song sounds like an ad jingle for shampoo (or something like that). I can't listen to it any differently now.
Yes....Thoughts of  Old men in the shower washing their hair while the sun shines on them while humming stevie wonder,,hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. LOL
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »

Yes....Thoughts of  Old men in the shower washing their hair while the sun shines on them while humming stevie wonder,,hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. LOL
Whatever turns you on.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »

Whatever turns you on.

Ahhh, is that AGD in the shower?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »

Imagine an A/B single with "Soulful Ol' Man Sunshine"/"Loop De Loop". The charts literally would've exploded, a release of Icarus proportions.

But no, these chumps left that in the can and released a Bruce Johnston tune as a single. It's a crazy world...
Nicko1234
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »

This one sounds more Rick Henn than Beach Boys to me. If Murry had produced the group then I think this is what it would have sounded like.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »

Imagine an A/B single with "Soulful Ol' Man Sunshine"/"Loop De Loop". The charts literally would've exploded, a release of Icarus proportions.

Talk about wishful thinking.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx