gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:06:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soulful Old Man Sunshine  (Read 20352 times)
H Robinson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »

I just cranked this song up recently and I thought "Why on earth didn't they work on this and release this as a single?!"

It's such a good song and with proper promotion could have full well have hit number 1 somewhere.

I love Soulful Old Man Sunshine (or should I say Shunshine), any reasons why they scrapped this?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:45:41 PM »

Agree wholeheartedly... If they ever had a Number One resting in the vaults this was it.

The topic's been thrashed out many a time here... Search function should reveal all! Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:05 PM »

and then, there is 'The Spirit of Rock and Roll'

.....another 'could have happened, but didnt'.  Huh

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
H Robinson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »

I just cranked this song up recently and I thought "Why on earth didn't they work on this and release this as a single?!"

It's such a good song and with proper promotion could have full well have hit number 1 somewhere.

I love Soulful Old Man Sunshine (or should I say Shunshine), any reasons why they scrapped this?
IIRC, because of the incorrect saying of word "sunshine" as "shunshine". So Carl asked other bandmates or whomever not to release it in any comp or album but, as you know, it WAS included on Endless Harmony ST.

I myself think the flaw isn't so noticeable and the song definitely was worth releasing in time when it was composed. Very bright & catchy tune indeed! I agree with that it'd be a huge hit single. Who cares about one small word error when the whole song is absolute gem?

If that was the case, wouldn't he have just re-recorded the vocals?
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »

This song is simply stunning. I can't understand why they never released it. Someone tell me, where exactly does he say "shunshine"? I don't notice it, or at least anything so bad it would prevent the song's release.

Maybe this has already been discussed somewhere, but as we have a new topic here anyway... What did Brian do, what did Rick Henn do? I know Rick arranged the music and Brian arranged the vocals, but who composed the main body of the song? If it was Rick Henn, they guy is a genius. This song is among BB's very finest.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:06:11 AM »

Oh that. Come on Carl, that's barely noticeable! I'm not native English speaker, though, but in his double-tracking 60's heyday Mike garbled many lines far worse than that.

WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:47:26 AM »

yeah I always hear that as "Soulful old man shine shine, shine your light.... "
But then it maybe sounds a lil creepy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 04:00:46 AM »

IIRC, Brian and Rick Henn wrote the tune, but Rick did the track session - Brian then took it to the group, who weren't very enthusiastic (the fools!) so after some initial work they junked it. It was in bits and pieces in the vault (like, nothing approaching a finished mix of any of the elements). They assembled it (which apparently wasn't easy) for the 93 box, Carl wasn't happy with his vocal from back then - the flub, mostly - so it waited until Endless Harmony.

Yeah, this would have been insane to release as their first Warner Bros. single. Top ten for sure. It sounds like Stevie Wonder.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 04:18:05 AM »

I love the song but at the time, it seems that the Beach Boys were sort of trying to present a hipper, earthier image, and I'm not sure if a song that jazzy and sunshiney would have been the smash you all seem convinced it would have been.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:26:05 AM »

I love the song but at the time, it seems that the Beach Boys were sort of trying to present a hipper, earthier image, and I'm not sure if a song that jazzy and sunshiney would have been the smash you all seem convinced it would have been.

BUT IT'S JUST THAT GOOD!

I'll stop drinking coffee for the day, methinks.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »

This song is simply stunning. I can't understand why they never released it. Someone tell me, where exactly does he say "shunshine"? I don't notice it, or at least anything so bad it would prevent the song's release.

Maybe this has already been discussed somewhere, but as we have a new topic here anyway... What did Brian do, what did Rick Henn do? I know Rick arranged the music and Brian arranged the vocals, but who composed the main body of the song? If it was Rick Henn, they guy is a genius. This song is among BB's very finest.

But if Henn was mostly responsible, that could be part of the reason of why it was unreleased.  At that time at least, Brian was always reluctant about releasing material that he didn't feel was really his.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:32:55 AM »

and then, there is 'The Spirit of Rock and Roll'

.....another 'could have happened, but didnt'.  Huh

I think that just had to do with the growing animosity between the band and Brian/Landy.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:37:42 AM »

That, and Spirit of Rock & Roll is really bad.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:18 AM »

This.  It doesn't come near SOMS.

“We live in divisive times.”
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 04:50:35 AM »

But if Henn was mostly responsible, that could be part of the reason of why it was unreleased.  At that time at least, Brian was always reluctant about releasing material that he didn't feel was really his.

hmmmm?Huh
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 04:53:16 AM »

Eh, I don't think it's that bad.  I love the re-recording Brian did for the Hallmark album.  The song itself is pretty good, I hate the "Sweet Insanity" version though even that's better than most of the material on the '85 "comeback" album and any of the new material on "Still Cruisin.'"

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:26 AM »

Eh, I don't think it's that bad.  I love the re-recording Brian did for the Hallmark album.  The song itself is pretty good, I hate the "Sweet Insanity" version though even that's better than most of the material on the '85 "comeback" album and any of the new material on "Still Cruisin.'"

Never heard that. Only the SI one...

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 05:07:54 AM »

For me the backing track for SOMS just doesn't quite work with the vocals. They sound slightly out of sync. If it was a more sparse backing track with a more prominent rhythm section it might have worked better. To these ears it sounds like it is; a backing track made by one person and vocals overlaid by another and the two don't quite mesh. Sorry.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 05:16:08 AM »

Funny that this has come up, while looking for something else on The Guardian (UK) site, came across this article - more praise for SOMS ! :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/nov/23/beach-boys-soulful-old-man-sunshine
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 05:45:19 AM »

Never heard that. Only the SI one...

http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Spirit+Of+Rock+and+Roll/25vqCN?src=5

Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »

Just out of sheer perversity I love the Brian/Dylan version of "Spirit." It's so wrong it feels right for some reason. Every time I hear it I think how cool it would've been had Brian joined the Traveling Wilburys after Roy Orbison's passing. Never would've happened there at the tail end of the second Landy era, but Brian could have brought some rays of sunshine to that dreadful Wilburys II album.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 06:27:38 AM »

For me the backing track for SOMS just doesn't quite work with the vocals. They sound slightly out of sync. If it was a more sparse backing track with a more prominent rhythm section it might have worked better. To these ears it sounds like it is; a backing track made by one person and vocals overlaid by another and the two don't quite mesh. Sorry.

You're kind of right, it is a bit uneven that way (although I personally love it over the top blaring horns), but the actual composition underneath it all is great. And the a cappella chorus hook, which reveals the boys' voices in perfect harmony... My God, sheer beauty.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »

I'm inclined to agree with this.

I like this song but there's something slightly off for me about it. It doesn't sound like a Brian composition to me so maybe this is why it wasn't released as an earlier poster suggested. Then again, it does remind me of some of the songs from the Adult Child era so who's to say it isn't a Brian original. Bascially, I know notheeeng.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

I got a question.  Could it be that the version we've heard, wasn't ever completed back in the day?  For instance, maybe they never mixed it properly or something, so the boys never heard it in the beautiful unbelievable oh my fucking god I can't believe they never released this version that we all know and love?  I know about the Carl vox mistake, but hell anybody could have touched that up, they could have even deleted that whole line if they couldn't have taped either a new line or just spliced in something from the other 100 times he says "Sun" in the song. 

Maybe Mark finally mixed it or added the backing track or something and the guys never heard it complete? 

"Spirit of Rock and Roll" is horrible in every form it's been released in.  I DO think with major production work it could be a decent song because the concept is pretty decent.  The proof of this to me is that when you get to the end of the Hallmark version, and they drop the music out to where you just hear the vocal pads, it sounds pretty damn good. 
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »

Am I right in thinking completed multi tracks for this are missing for the verse?  The verse on all versions I've heard is mono.  Did that come from a rough mix?  Hang on, I'll just check AGD's site instead Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx