gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:08:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
MIU - 44 (41.1%)
LA (Light Album) - 63 (58.9%)
Total Voters: 99

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #1: MIU vs LA  (Read 22871 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:38:10 AM »

I am ambitiously entitling this #1, in the hope that someone will run with the idea and poll the other twofer sets but whether this does or does not continue, I think right now (in light of the recent thread MIU/LA thread which has clearly polarized opinion) it's imperative that we establish ONCE AND FOR ALL, which of these lackluster slabs of turgid yacht rock/outsider art/sleazy cheese the board prefers.

By which I mean, YOU PREFER, and not what you think is technically or critically more impressive.

MIU for me ...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:07:34 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:56:38 AM »

M.I.U., if only because it flows more like an album and doesn't have anything as boring as Shortenin' Bread or as grating as the disco Here Comes the Night.  L.A. has about 4 great songs that are only challenged by M.I.U.'s My Diane though.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:10:22 AM »

'L.A', hands down. The band's last good album. (ok, until 2012)
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »

To me, it's not really which one is most impressive, but which one is less offensive. They're both awful. These albums, with Summer In Paradise, are the holy trinity of awful BBs material.  That said, I own the twofer and listen to it every so often, hoping I'll find some hidden gem I had missed before.  I do enjoy "Baby Blue," "Come and Go With Me," and "Lady Linda"

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:26:01 AM »

L.A

Because Baby Blue, that's why.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »

L.A

Because Baby Blue, that's why.

That's all I need.

L.A.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:30:14 AM »

L.A. "Light Album) has the greater songs, the higher highs. But, it also manages to be what few other BB albums fail to be: slightly boring. I love Carl and Dennis as much as anybody, but "Full Sail", "Goin' South", "Love Surrounds Me", and even "Angel Come Home" drag a bit. It's not entirely their fault; it's the production. Plus - like Summer In Paradise - Brian Wilson isn't even on L.A. (Light Album), unless it's a buried background vocal. "Shortenin' Bread" is inexcusable as an album closer. And then there's the 11 minute "Here Comes The Night"....Yet, I still do enjoy the album.

M.I.U. doesn't have the aces like "Good Timin", "Baby Blue", or even what I consider to be Al's best song, "Lady Lynda", but it is more consistently enjoyable. It kind of moves along with each member being featured vocally. I also think M.I.U. contains Al's best lead vocal ever in "Peggy Sue". M.I.U. isn't boring and I don't think any songs are bad. There's a lot of Brian, and, after Love You, his M.I.U. vocals were a welcome surprise. Dennis got his obligatory lead vocal; should have more Carl though. And it should have "Our Team"....

M.I.U. by a hair, because of the presence of BW.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:52:20 AM »

MIU is amateur hour in comparison to LA Light, and it makes me cringe.

L.A. Light is one last attempt at quality, even progression, but its too late baby.  Its a noble, but sad album, with disco... just in case you weren't embarrassed enough by MIU.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »

L.A., without even a second thought. It is The Beach Boys' Rumours.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:46:10 AM »

The bad stuff on both LPs is so bad that it makes this a really tough choice. I'm giving the edge to L.A, because the good songs on L.A are a little better. My Diane is really the only good song on MIU. There are other songs that I enjoy on that record, but it's overall not as strong on the better material on L.A.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »

I voted for LA, there's absolutely no contest imo.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »

L.A. - I've played it twice and M.I.U once. Come Go With me is the only song I'd individually listen to off of M.I.U, but then again, since I have L.A and M.I.U on vinyl only, the GV box set only gives me CGWM from M.I.U :D

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »

Well, it's a BIG pity I mayn't vote for M.I.U. 20-30 times in a row. Sad  laugh

I should enable multiple votes just for you RangeRover!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jason
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »

LA.

Because f*** 'em, that's why! *end Chappelle's Show*
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »

MIU wins for "Match Point Of Our Love". I imagine Brian, clad in short shorts, being forced to play tennis by either Landy's or Love's goons, or maybe even Rocky Pamplin. He gives it his best and finds himself kind of enjoying it by the end.

When Brian gets home later that evening, he calls up Mike and says, "Hey, I have a really groovy idea Mike! Imagine if we wrote a love song from the perspective of sport - tennis, in particular. I have some good chords I've been dying to put a lyric to. The whole thing will be a smash!"

Mike, misty eyed, replies, "You wanna do a song? Like we used to? Well, alright Brian. I'll be up there in a half-hour. I just gotta finish meditating first."

Driving down the Pacific Coast in his vintage 1931 Studebaker Six, Mike imagines love as if it truly was a game of tennis, and the profundity of the metaphors that pop up in his enlightened brain make him wistful for his first marriage. Nothing is quite like your first love, and they had a child together.

---

The sun is setting now on Brian's mountain home, and Mike cracks a Coca-Cola open.

"So I was thinking the part before the chorus of the song should go, 'match point, match point, the match point of our love'. Whad'ya think?"

"I love it, Mike. I f***ing love it. Let's try it out," Brian says as he hits a C Major 7 chord.

Deep inside the bowels of his own reflection, Mike's soul leaps for joy.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:08:20 PM by Dada » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

^^^ Love it, Dada!

MIU is absolutely a Beach Boys record - the 50s vibe, the cornball lyrics, and the vocal arrangements are very reminiscent of the 60s group. But ultimately it is a FUN record and not a million miles away from Love You in feel and energy. The kitschy tracks such as Matchpoint and Kona Coast sit perfectly alongside the 50s covers as they share the same optimistic outlook (as do nearly all the tracks with the exception of My Diane). Plus the songs are, for the most part, very melodic which I put down to greater songwriting input from BW, although not having the credits to hand I may be mistaken there.

LA takes itself far too seriously. The Dennis numbers are fabulous but feel out of place (and undermined) by the campy Lady Lynda, Sumahama and disco number. This just doesn't hang together at all well as an album. And Carl's contributions are far too soporific and just don't hold my attention at all in the way that, say, Steamboat (equally sleepy, but for a reason) does. I'm consistently surprised by the respect some have for LA - I'd take both MIU and KTSA over it, any day!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:04:48 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »

LA takes itself far too seriously. The Dennis numbers are fabulous but feel out of place (and undermined) by the campy Lady Lynda, Sumahama and disco number. This just doesn't hang together at all well as an album. And Carl's contributions are far too soporific and just don't hold my attention at all in the way that, say, Steamboat (equally sleepy, but for a reason) does. I'm consistently surprised by the respect some have for LA - I'd take both MIU and KTSA over it, any day!

I think 'L.A' offers more variety in the same way as '20/20' did. I wouldn't say any of the songs feel out of place, except for 'Here Comes The Night'. But then again, is there other Beach Boys album on which it wouldn't feel that way? I think Carl's and Dennis' compositions are the kind of material they were writing at the time and I wouldn't expect them all to come up with something that would fit well together. Let's admit it, they stopped working as a band once with 'Holland'. And to each his own, but do you really appreciate re-writings of  melodies they did in '63 just because they're fun over new fresh compositions by band members that actually put some effort into them?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:42:36 PM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »

L.A. is a bunch of great songs, marred by a couple of terrible ones.

M.I.U. is a bunch of terrible songs, which mar a couple of good ones.

L.A. every single time, no question.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »

First of all, LA supporters, you can't just ignore the 10 minute albatross that is the disco version of "Here Comes the Night".

When it comes to MIU vs. LA, I'll take "Belles of Paris" over a Carl snoozer like "Full Sail" any day. "My Diane" is a monster, the covers are inoffensive, "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" is a funky '50s rocker, "Hey Little Tomboy" has an insanely catchy melody (plus, I love the baton passing going on with the lead vocal),  and "Sweet Sunday Kinda Love" and "Pitter Patter" also feature brilliant bits of Brian melodiousness. "Kona Coast"  and "She's Got Rhythm" don't work for me, but that's not so bad.

Don't get me wrong, LA has its moments. "Good Timin'", "Angel Come Home", "Love Surrounds Me", "Sumahama", "Baby Blue", and "Shortenin' Bread" are all good, although I think "My Diane" destroys something like "Baby Blue". I prefer Brian's lyrical and melodic directness over the more ponderous stylings his brothers would often adopt. "Lady Lynda" isn't bad by any means, but talk about a cheesy song. At least "Belles of Paris" doesn't feel as earnest.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:17:23 PM by Dada » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »

I always thought it would be cool for this board to have polls. Maybe we can do Weakest Link ones too....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »

LA is better on paper. More ambitious and artistic, with greater Carl and Dennis presence... But it's incredibly boring! MIU is cheesy, but fun. It doesn't put me to sleep, unlike its twofer companion.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks LA and MIU should swap covers? MIU should have the colourful cartoon panel cover, and LA should have the elegant, adult cover. That would make much more sense. I always get them mixed 'cos of this cover thing.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Paulos
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »

L.A. for me, no contest. It can drag in places, especially Here Comes The Night and Goin' South, but has great songs like Good Timin', Angel Come Home, Love Surrounds Me and Baby Blue whereas the only great song on M.I.U. for me is My Diane. She's Got Rhythm and Come Go With Me are quite good but the rest are just awful, especially Kona Coast.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »

I talked about them in the other thread, but perhaps the best way to demonstrate how I feel about each album respectively is to rank all the songs.  M.I.U. is in italics and L.A. is in bold...

My Diane
Love Surrounds Me
Good Timin'
Baby Blue
Match Point of Our Love
Pitter Patter
Angel Come Home
She's Got Rhythm
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
Full Sail
Come Go With Me
Wontcha Come Out Tonight
Lady Lynda
Hey Little Tomboy
Winds of Change
Kona Coast
Belles of Paris
Sumahama
Peggy Sue
Goin' South
Here Comes the Night
Shortenin' Bread

To sum it up, a few L.A. tracks should have been replaced by almost anything else and it would have been vastly improved (or even simply addition by subtraction).  When I dislike over half the album (length-wise), there's a problem.  M.I.U. doesn't reach L.A.'s highs nearly as often, but I can listen to most of it without much trouble and it has its moments.  For that reason, I had to go with M.I.U.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:18:51 AM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »

The rest are just awful, especially Kona Coast.

Oh come on, it's the song Hawaii could have been! Great drum sound and drumming, too.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »

LA is better on paper. More ambitious and artistic, with greater Carl and Dennis presence... But it's incredibly boring! MIU is cheesy, but fun. It doesn't put me to sleep, unlike its twofer companion.

That's how I feel as well. 'Goin South' and 'Full Sail' are two of the worst songs in the entire canon to me (listening to them too long can send someone into a catatonic state).  This version of 'Shortenin' Bread' sucks. 'Here Comes the Night' goes on far too long.  MIU may be a bit 'dumb' and cheesy, but at least is fun (aside from 'Winds of Change').

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx