gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 03:40:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571032 times)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2012, 03:04:40 AM »

All kidding aside, I hope AGD’s situation has improved.  He is much appreciated here, and missed when he is gone.

What happened to AGD?

Anyone?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 04, 2012, 03:06:21 AM »

All kidding aside, I hope AGD’s situation has improved.  He is much appreciated here, and missed when he is gone.

What happened to AGD?

Anyone?
I think he once mentioned family affairs.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2012, 03:48:20 AM »

Have you guys heard about that new, revolutionary, "private life" concept?

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 04, 2012, 04:22:50 AM »

What happened to AGD?

Anyone?

It's been a hard week on the day job.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »

The private life of AGD
the world is wondering what he did...

From California to Mexico
everybody just got know..

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2012, 06:18:35 AM »

The private life of AGD
the world is wondering what he did...

From California to Mexico
everybody just got know..

LOL Well played!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 04, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »

So what's the general consensus on these remasters? Japan only?

I'm not keen on the Beatles style strip down the side. Is that the de facto method of signaling a newly remastered back catalogue now?

I wish they would do something really creative with all the bonus cuts, considering how significant the Beach Boys' unreleased catalogue is.

If it was left up to me, I would gather the bonus cuts from each period and release a set of 'new' albums like Dylan's bootleg series. The series could contain official releases of Landlocked, Adult Child etc. If Neil Young can do it with Homegrown, Chrome Dreams and so on, why not The Beach Boys? Can you imagine how great a Smiley Smile/Wild Honey/Friends/20/20 outtakes collection could be? Who here would not drop a wad on a 5 or 6 album series or upwards, especially if each release was staggered?

I was hoping they would do this for the US and Europe, as well as Japan, but alas, it looks like they won't. However, I would posit a guess that they will be using these new mixes on the upcoming box set and greatest hits album. Anyways, I guess I might get a few of these Japanese reissues, if there is no news on the US front soon.

As far as previously unreleased material, I'm thinking the only way we are getting that is through the box set. Hopefully it's at least five discs, with at least 25 or so tracks that haven't been released before. I don't think that is unreasonable to hope for since the 1993 box set had around the same amount of previously unreleased material. Hopefully all of Alan Boyd's hard work will pay off and we'll get the cream of the crop of what's in the vaults. I read an interview he did where he mentioned "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again", "Where Is She", "California Feelin'" from 1974, and "Goin To The Beach" as being wonderful, if I remember correctly. So as long as BRI doesn't block any of this great material, and Capitol does their job, we should get some cool stuff.

As far as a Bootleg Series, a la Bob Dylan, well, that would be a dream. Even one set like The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3, would be amazing. But I just don't think BRI or Capitol really has the interest in rarities that Dylan's people do. I say "Dylan's people" because his Bobness doesn't seem to care all that much about his old work once he's moved past it. The Beach Boys I think are different though, at least Mike I would guess, because he probably doesn't see much monetary profit in releasing the stuff. Al, I think might be into it. Brian I don't think would care either way. Bruce probably would make fun of the people who would buy it, since they're like "too into The Beach Boys then he ever would be in a million years buddy!"
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 04, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/07/04/wouldnt-it-be-nice-beach-boys-mono-and-stereo-reissues-due-in-japan-is-america-next/

The Second Disc is reporting about the Japanese reissues, it's starting to feel more "real".  I sure wish Capitol would break their silence.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 04, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »

So still no Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20 and the rest of the 70's albums (i don't care much for the 80's & 90's)? this is odd.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/07/04/wouldnt-it-be-nice-beach-boys-mono-and-stereo-reissues-due-in-japan-is-america-next/

The Second Disc is reporting about the Japanese reissues, it's starting to feel more "real".  I sure wish Capitol would break their silence.

Nothing they couldn't have learned here. Grin

And I see Phil's contributing his whining pessimism to the debate.

“We live in divisive times.”
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 04, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »

Where are people getting the impression that some of these have been remixed?  It wouldn't surprise me if they're using vintage mono/stereo/duophonic mixes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: July 04, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

Where are people getting the impression that some of these have been remixed?  It wouldn't surprise me if they're using vintage mono/stereo/duophonic mixes.

There's a passage that refers to first time stereo versions of, I think, Today ! and Smiley Smile.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
theCOD
« Reply #362 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »

... stereo versions of... Smiley Smile.

AWWWWWW YEEEAAAAAH Afro

That's all I have to say about that.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2012, 05:57:09 AM »

Stereo Smiley Smile is going to blow my mind!!!
I am hopeful for an eventual stereo Wild Honey. That will also blow my mind!
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »

I'm looking foward to hear the stereo Smiley Smile, Summer Days and mono All Summer Long!
But it's disappointing to see this CDs to be released only in Japan.
Anyone pre-ordered some of them in HMV Japan?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 05, 2012, 07:31:21 AM »

Anyone pre-ordered some of them in HMV Japan?

Would work out at £252 (today's rate) for all the discs, plus (I assume) P&P. Won't be happening today…

But happy to wait-see if they get a UK release. If not, I'll cry then.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »

Japan only notwithstanding, I have a feeling many of you will find some way of getting this...torrent...of new remasters. *cough*

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 05, 2012, 08:20:18 AM »

Screw Torrent; they'll be up on a couple of BB blogs before that. FLAC would be the desirable format. But I'll buy the legit copies for the original packaging.

Damn, it sure would be nice to have Beach Boys versions of the 2009 Beatles mono and stereo box sets, wouldn't it?

Where's the Surfin' Safari album in stereo?  Mono only masters and no multi's for that album?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »

Screw Torrent; they'll be up on a couple of BB blogs before that. FLAC would be the desirable format. But I'll buy the legit copies for the original packaging.

Damn, it sure would be nice to have Beach Boys versions of the 2009 Beatles mono and stereo box sets, wouldn't it?

Where's the Surfin' Safari album in stereo?  Mono only masters and no multi's for that album?

Safari multitracks (OK, 3-tracks) exist (except fro "Surfin'" of course).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 05, 2012, 08:33:07 AM »

Yeah!

I want all the Beach Boys' albums uniformly remastered and packaged.  I have both sets of two-fers (1990 and 2000) and frankly I'm done with "twofers."  I like the mono/stereo, sans bonus track treatment better.  The 2000 twofers did improve the "quality" of sound in some respects, but were mastered too loud, which negated the benefits.  Depending on the album, the 1990 twofer might be preferable.  Plus the package was essentially the same...  Roll Eyes.  No more budget twofers!!!

So...fresh remasters in 2012 has the potential to sound really good -- SMiLE sounds pretty decent, as did the Beatles sets.  I'm sure they'll be slightly "jacked up" and a tad too aggressive (Mark Linett?) but I suspect not as extreme as the 2000's.

But again... I want the whole catalog.  Surfin' Safari to at least BB 85.  Still Crusin' and SIP, too.  Why not.

Bonus tracks should get special treatment, sort of a Beach Boys Lost & Found, volume 1-12 or whatever.  Never happen...but SMiLE happened.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: July 05, 2012, 09:42:04 AM »

Safari multitracks (OK, 3-tracks) exist (except fro "Surfin'" of course).

yeh, 'land ahoy' has a pretty good stereo mix on 'rarities' and the twofer.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 11, 2012, 07:23:01 AM »

Any more news about these? Do we have any forum members from Japan who are planning on buying them?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 11, 2012, 07:57:16 AM »

Why did they exclude most of my favorite albums?!?!  Wall

"Jeff, you care." --BW
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »

Why did they exclude most of my favorite albums?!?!  Wall

Stuff of legends…

No-one knows wtf is happening with these. At the mo' they're only slated for Japanese release but that's only cos the word is out there; who knows what (if anything) is to be announced for the rest of the world.

Also, there's nothing to say whether they're a one-off batch release, or the first of several batches of releases.

The only official word to date is on the Japanese EMI sit that's already been linked to (unless any thing's happened since I looked this morning).

So, there might be more releases to cme, there might not. here might be releases elsewhere around the world, there might not.

It's far too early to start banging heads against brick walls.

Unless you're the Voldemorte of Silence.

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:32 AM »

Something about the mix of The Girl From New York City has always bugged me, I think it's a little busy and cool elements get buried left right and centre (literally, it's in mono  Wink ) I'm really psyched to hear it in stereo.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx