gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680870 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:10:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Says  (Read 19077 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »

I admit to having a suspicion that this fall, in time for the holiday shopping season, someone in or around the Beach Boys camp has the idea of getting a greatest hits compilation of some kind on the retail racks to capitalize on the success of this tour. They're playing some songs live that may or may not have been offered on these most recent packages, perhaps they will try to get them on another hits album. Perhaps even more remixes/remasters, who knows. The Beach Boys are selling right now.

Think "Beach Boys" product over the past several decades *up to 2012* and would it be wrong to say the biggest sellers have been the compilations? Someone has to have that in mind with this tour going over so well. Capitol has to have that in mind - greatest hits packages are the cheapest to produce.

Sure. It's just useless to me. They could also just re-release Endless Summer - the one where they add Good Vibrations.

But personally I think the time is also right for a Hawthorne-like CD. Sure it probably wouldn't sell as much as Greatest Hits but it might sell more than Hawthorne did the first time around. Clearly I'm just being selfish here.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »

I admit to having a suspicion that this fall, in time for the holiday shopping season, someone in or around the Beach Boys camp has the idea of getting a greatest hits compilation of some kind on the retail racks to capitalize on the success of this tour. They're playing some songs live that may or may not have been offered on these most recent packages, perhaps they will try to get them on another hits album. Perhaps even more remixes/remasters, who knows. The Beach Boys are selling right now.

Think "Beach Boys" product over the past several decades *up to 2012* and would it be wrong to say the biggest sellers have been the compilations? Someone has to have that in mind with this tour going over so well. Capitol has to have that in mind - greatest hits packages are the cheapest to produce.

Sure. It's just useless to me. They could also just re-release Endless Summer - the one where they add Good Vibrations.

But personally I think the time is also right for a Hawthorne-like CD. Sure it probably wouldn't sell as much as Greatest Hits but it might sell more than Hawthorne did the first time around. Clearly I'm just being selfish here.

Count me among the selfish, I feel exactly the same way and have posted those thoughts many times. I think a Greatest Hits package in 2012 would be far from necessary, but thinking in terms of profit and low overhead-easy return record company and band decisions, I can see another one coming out:

"But...but...this new one not only has the same songs you've bought on the previous 6 hits packages, we've also remixed and remastered both versions of "Be True To Your School!"

That kind of thing... Cheesy

I'm game for another rarities compilation any time. It's overdue.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »

Count me among the selfish, I feel exactly the same way and have posted those thoughts many times. I think a Greatest Hits package in 2012 would be far from necessary, but thinking in terms of profit and low overhead-easy return record company and band decisions, I can see another one coming out:

"But...but...this new one not only has the same songs you've bought on the previous 6 hits packages, we've also remixed and remastered both versions of "Be True To Your School!"

That kind of thing... Cheesy

Wouldn't surprise me in the least!

Heck, even if someone rigged up a phony album cover and track list for an unreleased-tracks comp, it might satisfy me for a few weeks (that's a hint to the more creative folks here).
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 12:23:56 PM »

From Mama Says to Mike Says.

greatest hits
just the hits
that's what sells ba-by

hit the road
move that merch
never be la-zy

boyyyyyyy
- *boomph*
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:27:34 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 12:25:19 PM »

lol Doo Dah.

Isn't this comp supposed to have several 'new' songs on it?

Yeah thanks, that's what i thought, but then again, that's probably like, the only one? and it's just one song :/ oh well.

Yeah...Honkin' Down the Highway

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »

lol Doo Dah.

So many things though should be released:

Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, Carry Me Home, We Got Love, Over the Waves, Big Sur, Walkin', Awake, Life is For the Living, Lines, It's Trying to Say...my apologies if any of these have seen a release. Any others?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:34:23 PM by rockandroll » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 12:37:05 PM »

Well apparently plans have changed (or it's entirely possible I misread the original reports completely).  Originally I thought the plan was to release a greatest hits package for the masses and then a box set for the diehards.  Sort of like what they did for "The SMiLE Sessions".  That is why a few months back everyone was throwing in requests like the original version of "California Feeling" and WIBNTLA.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

I'll settle for - not just settle for, but literally rush out to buy - a full, unedited release of those early session reels that were discovered by a guy some years ago and eventually made their way to Jon Stebbins who got them into the right hands and into the official vaults. These had studio session material missing from SOT, and by the news accounts, the tapes were in excellent condition. I think that's the story, anyway.

*That* is the kind of thing I'd want on a wish list. Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »

I think Mike loves the reunion tour and the attention, but Mike has never been one for long rehearsals to learn different songs, intricate parts etc going as far back as the 60's so in his mind that creates a lot of stress and time and that part he doesn't enjoy. With the Mike and Bruceband , I would bet Mike hardly spends any time rehearsing/soundchecking. Totten does everything with the band, Mike checks a few part and sound levels and bam he's done. Sometimes it sounds great, sometimes it sounds half assed. That's been Mike's way for many years.
 But so far he has been willing to sacrifice it the time and stress for this tour so good for him. I'm not sure he does it more permanently time will tell.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

Well apparently plans have changed (or it's entirely possible I misread the original reports completely).  Originally I thought the plan was to release a greatest hits package for the masses and then a box set for the diehards.  Sort of like what they did for "The SMiLE Sessions".  That is why a few months back everyone was throwing in requests like the original version of "California Feeling" and WIBNTLA.

I don't think plans have changed at all. The original press release said a new hits comp and a career-spanning box. New Capitol promotional material has also mentioned the "ultimate" boxed set, or something along those lines.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »

I think Mike loves the reunion tour and the attention, but Mike has never been one for long rehearsals to learn different songs, intricate parts etc going as far back as the 60's so in his mind that creates a lot of stress and time and that part he doesn't enjoy. With the Mike and Bruceband , I would bet Mike hardly spends any time rehearsing/soundchecking. Totten does everything with the band, Mike checks a few part and sound levels and bam he's done. Sometimes it sounds great, sometimes it sounds half assed. That's been Mike's way for many years.
 But so far he has been willing to sacrifice it the time and stress for this tour so good for him. I'm not sure he does it more permanently time will tell.

What Mike Love needs to learn is that that is a bloody stupid way to be the greatest American pop band.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »

To some degree I felt watching the show last night as if it's already two shows. The first half is the Mike and Bruce show, the second half is the BW show. Frankly, additional songs could be added where all Mike would have to do is shake a tamborine and mime like he's singing along if they were songs Brian really wanted in there. The Wondermints could cover any parts Mike didn't feel like learning. Have Bruce adjust his microphone for a while, no problem. And I don't mean any disrespect to those two guys in suggesting it. If Dave can go out with the band and do "Pet Sounds" without any other members, why couldn't Al or Brian do songs at certain points where Mike or Bruce didn't have much to do besides an occasional "bom bom bom"?

I think another thing that might be telling for Mike is that he's so interested in making direct contact with audience members, eye contact, all that pointing, etc., that when he's suddenly in a huge space, it's just a sea of faces in front of him, which makes it harder to connect with people in the same way. Yes, the extra expense of having to fly people and cart all that gear around is also prohibitive (and almost certainly explains the cost of the VIP experience, to help offset that expense so that the five main members get proportionally more than, say, Probyn). But I think he also just thrives when he can see the people and interact with them.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »

So many varying conflicting reports concerning the box set. Hopefully Phil Cohen can stop by and sort things out  Wink

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »

Just a reminder that the setlists between Mike vs Brian's groups aren't thaaat different.  Here's a setlist from Brian's tour last year and one from the current tour:

Brian Wilson - Gershwin Tour Fall 2011

The Beach Boys Reunion 2012
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »

Just a reminder that the setlists between Mike vs Brian's groups aren't thaaat different. 

No question. But what we have now is the f*cking Beach Boys!!! When they all are going solo again, it will be just that. Members of the Beach Boys doing their own stuff

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »

Yeah...Honkin' Down the Highway

Gosh Darn

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »

>>Some things are already certain for the future. "Isn't It Time" appears locked
as the album's next single; "

"Isn't It Time" is a great choice, but "next single"?

Was TWGMTR ever released as a PHYSICAL single?  I don't think so.  ANyway, where are all the obscure B-sides that would be welcome by us?  This is why ITunes singles SUH-UHCK.

Yeah, all the talk about singles nowdays I don't get. If they are talking strictly download, wouldn't every song on the album be a single? Is it not possible to go to itunes and just download individual songs from the album? I WANT MY 45'S!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »

"Mike Love doesn't care about Beach Boy people"

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »

lol Doo Dah.

So many things though should be released:

Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, Carry Me Home, We Got Love, Over the Waves, Big Sur, Walkin', Awake, Life is For the Living, Lines, It's Trying to Say...my apologies if any of these have seen a release. Any others?

Some Paley stuff maybe?  Still A Mystery, Soul Searchin, etc....

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Jason
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »

Technically...We Got Love WAS released.

I still think we should hope for the best about the Beach Boys Central website, but...after almost 6 years, it's less and less of a possibility.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2012, 03:22:08 PM »

"Mike Love doesn't care about Beach Boy people"

LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

Just a reminder that the setlists between Mike vs Brian's groups aren't thaaat different.  Here's a setlist from Brian's tour last year and one from the current tour:

It's not about setlists - if it was, Brian would come out tops because he did a significant portion of his new album, and subsequently the entire thing in it's entirety. But I'm not criticising the group for not playing TWGMTR in it's entirety - that wouldn't sit well for these shows (and arguably it didn't for the Gershwin ones either). Rather, it comes down to what their separate ambitions for the band are.

Mike seems entirely content with playing absolutely anywhere with the smallest ensemble possible to maximise costs, whilst simultaneously seeming content with the group being a spent force musically. Maybe Brian coming up to him with a new BB's album was a shock, IDK. But I imagine he would have been perfectly happy with touring Kokomo into the ground with the ever fiscally minded Bruce, his son, and some hired hands, because he likes touring but he also likes money. The two dovetail nicely - more touring, more money.

Brian, on the other hand, is happy to tour with a huge band that constantly lose him money and do artistically ambitious tours, and continue to create new music.

There's a fundamental difference of opinion as to what 'The Beach Boys' should be. Brian clearly still sees them as a band - maybe his band, and maybe he always saw them that way - which can still create new music and be a big deal. Mike is advised by his wallet. He would be much less enthusiastic about new studio material if TWGMTR sold sweet FA.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »

If Brian and the Beach Boys hadn't sold massive amounts of records and made massive amounts of money in the early days, singing about surfing and cars (with Mike writing some lyrics and doing some lead vocals), Brian wouldn't be rich enough to throw money away doing big band tours of the music of George Gershwin (not exactly his own new music) or his other non-hit solo albums.  If Kokomo hadn't have been a massive hit in 1989 or whenever it was, there might be less of an audience for the Beach Boys reunion.  The public's view of the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson fans are very different and Brian Wilson fans might hate it but there's an interdependence because the casual fan paid the bills that made the so-called art possible. Maybe hardcore Brian Wilson fans don't like the early hits and lord knows most of the despise Kokomo, but they helped make the things that Brian did since possible.  Something has to pay the bills.  I don't think Brian lives in a two bedroom ranch house or drives a Hyundai, either. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »

Just a reminder that the setlists between Mike vs Brian's groups aren't thaaat different.  Here's a setlist from Brian's tour last year and one from the current tour:

It's not about setlists - if it was, Brian would come out tops because he did a significant portion of his new album, and subsequently the entire thing in it's entirety. But I'm not criticising the group for not playing TWGMTR in it's entirety - that wouldn't sit well for these shows (and arguably it didn't for the Gershwin ones either). Rather, it comes down to what their separate ambitions for the band are.

Mike seems entirely content with playing absolutely anywhere with the smallest ensemble possible to maximise costs, whilst simultaneously seeming content with the group being a spent force musically. Maybe Brian coming up to him with a new BB's album was a shock, IDK. But I imagine he would have been perfectly happy with touring Kokomo into the ground with the ever fiscally minded Bruce, his son, and some hired hands, because he likes touring but he also likes money. The two dovetail nicely - more touring, more money.

Brian, on the other hand, is happy to tour with a huge band that constantly lose him money and do artistically ambitious tours, and continue to create new music.

There's a fundamental difference of opinion as to what 'The Beach Boys' should be. Brian clearly still sees them as a band - maybe his band, and maybe he always saw them that way - which can still create new music and be a big deal. Mike is advised by his wallet. He would be much less enthusiastic about new studio material if TWGMTR sold sweet FA.

If making money isn't important to you, please send me your pay check. I'm sure after your comments above that all the effort that you put in what you do is worth zero to you. When you cannot legally make a record as The Beach Boys, touring becomes your main source of income. At the Camden show I saw 3 eighteen wheelers, along with 3 or 4 tour buses. It has to cost a small fortune just in fuel for this tour. Not to mention paying the musicians, techs, roadies and insurance.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »

I think we ought to be careful what we wish for, a show loaded with deep cuts might tickle we few but it might drive the reunion crowds into their couches at home. We also ought to be careful what we read into other peoples' quotes.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx