gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 07:54:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Says  (Read 19236 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »

The new single is definitely "Isn't It Time", the 3 record deal is "TWGMTR, a Live album and a new  Greatest Hits package", and he would prefer to go back to touring in a station wagon with just himself and Bruce:   

http://www.billboard.com/news/beach-boys-talk-another-album-together-1007435152.story#/news/beach-boys-talk-another-album-together-1007435152.story 

>>Some things are already certain for the future. "Isn't It Time" appears locked
as the album's next single; "We actually did a little bit of extra work on the
bridge to make it more of a four-part (harmony) thing and changed the lyric a
little bit as well," Love says. He also notes that the tour will "definitely"
spawn a live album and DVD, while Capitol's catalog division is planning a new
greatest hits set for the fall. The Beach Boys star on a new, Thomas-directed
episode of PBS' "Front Row Center" series -- "The Beach Boys: Doin' It Again,"
which debuts this week -- and a network concert special is expected this fall.

"There's a lot of positivity involved in us all being together, and obviously
the audience is responding beautifully to it. It's great to have everyone
together," Love says. But, he adds, the reunion tour has been something of an
adjustment from the way he and Johnston have done things with their Beach Boys
since 1998.

"It's ridiculously expensive and intense," Love says of the reunion tour. "The
thing I like about how we ordinarily do things is it's very streamlined and we
sound great and have a good time performing at all sizes of venues. This one
you're limited to the larger venues. That's just how it is, the kind of tour it
is. That's the only drawback as far as I can see."  <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »

If the franchise is taken away, he can go back to doing it his way between tours, under another name.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »

Thanks for the link

We sound great and have a good time performing at all sizes of venues. This one
you're limited to the larger venues. <<

How is this tour any different than your own shows, Mike?  LOL
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »

I'm sorry, but that is not what he said. He was referring to the cost of the tour and the stress of such a big production  being the "ONLY" drawback to the reunion. Give the guy a break. To me, I read this as being a reassurance to fans after the news yesterday regarding the south american show that there is a very good possibility they'll do the same thing next year: a tour and an album. What more could we want? It seems you took this article in a negative way. I took it the completely opposite way. I wish the south american show hadn't been announced, but after reading the billboard piece, I'm as excited as ever about what the future of the Beach Boys (although if it all ends with the 50th, at least we go that).
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »

The new single is definitely "Isn't It Time", the 3 record deal is "TWGMTR, a Live album and a new  Greatest Hits package...

DROOL.......................................................
...................................................SLOBBER......................................

BRING IT ON!

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:23 AM »

To the powers that be....

The Live Album:  Please don't just give us the NPR show on CD.  Watch it with the autotune.  Don't just give us a duplicate audio companion to the DVD.

The DVD: Please try to capture the joy and fun that the audiences are feeling at these shows.  Don't shoot this concert like an eighth grade talent show.  Film it from the audience's perspective and give the show the justice it deserves.  Also, please give us every song that was performed on the tour even if it's tagged on in a bonus feature section.  Oh and a 90 minute tour documentary is implied. 

K thanks!  police
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »

Live album and DVD.

Razz to those who doubted the 'Live' album would happen
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »

Vocals of Carl ?? Song by Dennis ??  Shocked

Thomas says he and Wilson had "about 80 hours worth of tape," much of it culled from material they were working on around the time of Wilson's 1998 "Imagination" album that "were always songs he had earmarked for the Beach Boys." Some are on "That's Why God Made the Radio," but others include demos with the late Carl Wilson's vocals and an unreleased Dennis Wilson composition, as well as songs that were part of a suite from which the new album's "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Summer's Gone" (co-written with Jon Bon Jovi) were drawn.

The other stuff:

I guess it's just Mike wanting to concentrate on the kind of show he and Bruce make normally. Lots of Surf stuff and all that and only just so many deep cuts. It probably also has to do with how many time you need to practice instead of just going out and play.
Anyway, the way they are doing it now is the right one. And it'll be very hard for Mike and Bruce to go back as "The Beach Boys" to the regular show, no matter how good it is. This current tour probably is the best tour the Beach Boys have done since the early 70s (and that makes it even sadder that Dennis and Carl aren't there) and gave the name/the brand a whole new meaning, drawing it out of the mud it threatened to bog in for the last decades. What is now - as Mike probably agrees on - is greater than any of the acts that toured on their own and, might I say, even greater than the Beach Boys have been since at least the 80s

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »

To the powers that be....

The Live Album:  Please don't just give us the NPR show on CD.  Watch it with the autotune.  Don't just give us a duplicate audio companion to the DVD.

Leave in the flubs. We are all adults here and can handle it!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:13:39 AM »

What the Hell's wrong with larger venues?  The more people, the better, right?  "Limited". Sounds like that word should be applied to small venues, not larger.

Live album will be of this tour.  Nice!  Hope it includes every song that they're doing!

Greatest Hits again.    No mention of a "Live" Beach Boys anthology box from the 60's - 90's.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:16:41 AM »

Fucks sake.

Mike, have you realised that being one of the biggest bands in the history of recorded sound means YOU CAN DO sh*t LIKE THIS AND NOT FEEL POOR. Y'know, play to 20,000 people WHO WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY and appreciate the fact that you're an part of an artistically legitimate outfit who can put on superlative shows which not only feature bastard Kokomo but also all the cool material you've spent all that time pretending you didn't care about, even though if I had sung the bass part on Prayer (to pick ONE)  I'd print up fucking business cards saying so.

Here's an idea, Mike - Fire your astrologist. Maybe give a little less to David Lynch's wallet/TM fundraiser next year. Get a fucking decent accountant. Or just stop thinking that you only deserve to play Arsepit, TX's local dog track and brothel. You fucking invented a small section of American pop music and you are still here to enjoy it. ACT LIKE IT.

Sorry. Especially to any residents of Arsepit, TX.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »

To do the Live CD justice or to do it the right way, it has to be a 2 CD set. The first CD could cover the opening "fun" set, and the second CD could be for the "deeper" set, with the encores, of course...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »

To do the Live CD justice or to do it the right way, it has to be a 2 CD set. The first CD could cover the opening "fun" set, and the second CD could be for the "deeper" set, with the encores, of course...

That's right. But I guess the CD will just be the same material as on the DVD. A soundtrack to it.

I hope the DVD will not just be the PBS special (which I haven't seen of course).

All I can say to the people who are involved: Please be careful in making these things ! Don't try to just go the surf route and leave out the deep cuts. Make this stuff worthwhile for one of the greatest bands ever.

And re: a new album. I said this somewhere else. Although I'd like to hear more of them they should only do it if they can deliver an album at least as good as TWGMTR. In their ages every new record could be the last and TWGMTR would actually be quite a nice way to leave the stage
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:24:37 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »

I'm sorry, but that is not what he said. He was referring to the cost of the tour and the stress of such a big production  being the "ONLY" drawback to the reunion. Give the guy a break. To me, I read this as being a reassurance to fans after the news yesterday regarding the south american show that there is a very good possibility they'll do the same thing next year: a tour and an album.

Agreed. As awesome as this tour juggernaut may be, I can see Mike looking forward to downshifting a bit and doing some less stressful M&B shows. Lot of pressure up there, and it's been truly amazing to me how they handle it night in, night out.

I'm also looking forward to the next album. But please - let's rawk it a little! There may be stuff in the can from Carl and Dennis, but let's keep it fresh and rawk it. I want to hear them harmonize to da big beat.
 Buzzy booozy buzzy boozy bah bahm. Like that - get on that harmony kick.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »

f***s sake.

Mike, have you realised that being one of the biggest bands in the history of recorded sound means YOU CAN DO sh*t LIKE THIS AND NOT FEEL POOR. Y'know, play to 20,000 people WHO WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY and appreciate the fact that you're an part of an artistically legitimate outfit who can put on superlative shows which not only feature bastard Kokomo but also all the cool material you've spent all that time pretending you didn't care about, even though if I had sung the bass part on Prayer (to pick ONE)  I'd print up f***ing business cards saying so.

Here's an idea, Mike - Fire your astrologist. Maybe give a little less to David Lynch's wallet/TM fundraiser next year. Get a f***ing decent accountant. Or just stop thinking that you only deserve to play Arsepit, TX's local dog track and brothel. You f***ing invented a small section of American pop music and you are still here to enjoy it. ACT LIKE IT.

Sorry. Especially to any residents of Arsepit, TX.

Mike Love doesn't understand the BBs legacy at all....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »

Is it our fault Mike has a bunch of ex-wives that he has to pay off...

What a cheapskate , always about the money

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »

>>Some things are already certain for the future. "Isn't It Time" appears locked
as the album's next single; "

"Isn't It Time" is a great choice, but "next single"?

Was TWGMTR ever released as a PHYSICAL single?  I don't think so.  ANyway, where are all the obscure B-sides that would be welcome by us?  This is why ITunes singles SUH-UHCK.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »

I'm sure the Carl track he's talking about is Waves of Love. Wonder what the Dennis track is......  Grin

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 10:35:44 AM »

Ah, the 1973 Beach Boys In Concert did pretty well.  I'd say do the new one just like that one. Mix 'em up.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »

UM WHAT ABOUT THE BOX SET THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE COMING OUT?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »

I'm sorry, but that is not what he said. He was referring to the cost of the tour and the stress of such a big production  being the "ONLY" drawback to the reunion. Give the guy a break. To me, I read this as being a reassurance to fans after the news yesterday regarding the south american show that there is a very good possibility they'll do the same thing next year: a tour and an album. What more could we want? It seems you took this article in a negative way. I took it the completely opposite way. I wish the south american show hadn't been announced, but after reading the billboard piece, I'm as excited as ever about what the future of the Beach Boys (although if it all ends with the 50th, at least we go that).

It's good he talks about doing more studio work, yes.

The touring part: he mostly talks about how his band sound great for less money and 'stress' (dude, you love touring) and play everywhere, even if that is some fleapit that no musician of his stature would take his worst enemy to. f*** that, imo.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »

Please make the LIVE CD a double or triple CD with 50 tracks. Please don't cut corners. This tour is too good for that.

A Box Set? I think Capital can do that without a new BB deal. That stuff is already in the vaults.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »

It's good he talks about doing more studio work, yes.

The touring part: he mostly talks about how his band sound great for less money and 'stress' (dude, you love touring) and play everywhere, even if that is some fleapit that no musician of his stature would take his worst enemy to. f*** that, imo.

I'm not trying to insinuate that Mike's opinion won't hold any weight but my feeling is as someone mentioned the other day, if Brian wants to continue after this tour, the show will go on.  They won't be playing flea pits either I don't think.

Bri: Hey Mike what are we doing here playing this car wash on a Wednesday afternoon?

Punch it baby punch it!

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »

Please make the LIVE CD a double or triple CD with 50 tracks. Please don't cut corners. This tour is too good for that.

A Box Set? I think Capital can do that without a new BB deal. That stuff is already in the vaults.

We were told via press release back in March we would be getting both a greatest hits cd and a box set by years end.  That came direct from Capitol.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »

I'm sorry, but that is not what he said. He was referring to the cost of the tour and the stress of such a big production  being the "ONLY" drawback to the reunion. Give the guy a break. To me, I read this as being a reassurance to fans after the news yesterday regarding the south american show that there is a very good possibility they'll do the same thing next year: a tour and an album. What more could we want? It seems you took this article in a negative way. I took it the completely opposite way. I wish the south american show hadn't been announced, but after reading the billboard piece, I'm as excited as ever about what the future of the Beach Boys (although if it all ends with the 50th, at least we go that).

Sure Timmy, whatever you say 

Man, I've got to go back and check the Capitol vaults again; I couldn't find WIBNTLA there  the last time through

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx