gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680722 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:13:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 40: Darien Lakes Performing Arts Center - Darien Lakes, NY - 6/29/12  (Read 44743 times)
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 08:13:29 AM »

Was at the Darien Lake Concert last night. Just saw the photo of brian with Rocker. Jeez...I sat next to you last night. Had no idea you were a Smiley Smiler. Row 5. How did you get that photo? great pic. Echoing all the other posts from the show. Just tremendous. Al Jardine sound every but as  good as has been described previously. His California Saga section just rocked. so did his his Cottonfields. Mike sounded very good, especially on Be true to your School and the Car song segment closing Part 1. Brian was into it I thought his lead on Heroes and Villains was his high point though he he sounded good all night. At the encore segment he finally leaves the piano, straps on the Bass and is up front with the band, he's really not playing but he's singing and its tremendous seeing him up front. Pretty much the same set of songs, minus do you wanna dance and It's OK come to mind.

One side story during the sound check portion which my VIP tickets allowed us into, the band ran through a number of tunes. One was "Its OK" Just as the start of the first verse where Mike breaks into "Summers in its no sin..." Bruce Johnston squeezes his own nose and looks at Mike and begins to smile and laugh. Good natured and harmless. i thought it was very funny.

An earlier post somewhere on this board a poster commented you don't want to be first in line at the picture session for the meet and greet. He was right. My wife and weren't first. We were second, and it sucked. So quick. I said hello and thank you to Mike and Brian. Bruce was very animated at the picture session. He said to me he liked my shirt which was the "70 Brother records logo, you know the indian on the Horse. I started to answer him and was quickly moved anlong for the next photo. Oh well.

I will upload some photos, next post.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2012, 08:16:22 AM »

Brian must read this board. The only time I've ever heard anything about Taylor Mills being pregnant or having a baby was here.

Well, it's been established that Stamos posts here (Ron). New poster Kittykat is Bruce. Totten posted as himself, when he did. I still haven't figured out which of us is Brian.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »

Brian must read this board. The only time I've ever heard anything about Taylor Mills being pregnant or having a baby was here.

Well, it's been established that Stamos posts here (Ron). New poster Kittykat is Bruce. Totten posted as himself, when he did. I still haven't figured out which of us is Brian.

It's either Runnersdialzero or The Heartical Don

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »

I usually wouldn't presume to speak for someone else, but it sure ain't runners, unless Brian is into Nirvana, too! Smiley
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:58 AM »

Thank you, it's been bugging me, too everytime I read it as "Lakes."  I went to high school with a Chris Stowell, whose younger brother was in my grade.  Cool kid.  I wonder if this Chris is his older brother.  Kinda looks like him.

I was on the same little league team with this Chris Stowell one year, I believe. Don't think he has a younger brother.

I was at this show. Enjoyed myself tremendously. Surprised by Brian's singing- his phrasing kind of reminded me of Bob Dylan's nowadays, though with more melody of course. Bruce's voice is starting to get thin on the higher notes, but he still sang well. Is it him doing the falsetto at the end of Fun Fun Fun? Foskett appeared to be away from the mic and I think I've seen him do it at Mike&Bruce shows before.

Anyway, loved the show. May post more later.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »

Is it him doing the falsetto at the end of Fun Fun Fun? Foskett appeared to be away from the mic and I think I've seen him do it at Mike&Bruce shows before.
Yeah, it's Bruce 'Historical' Johnston.  Cool
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

Thank you, it's been bugging me, too everytime I read it as "Lakes."  I went to high school with a Chris Stowell, whose younger brother was in my grade.  Cool kid.  I wonder if this Chris is his older brother.  Kinda looks like him.

I was on the same little league team with this Chris Stowell one year, I believe. Don't think he has a younger brother.

I was at this show. Enjoyed myself tremendously. Surprised by Brian's singing- his phrasing kind of reminded me of Bob Dylan's nowadays, though with more melody of course. Bruce's voice is starting to get thin on the higher notes, but he still sang well. Is it him doing the falsetto at the end of Fun Fun Fun? Foskett appeared to be away from the mic and I think I've seen him do it at Mike&Bruce shows before.

Anyway, loved the show. May post more later.

My voice is getting thin?  Who asked you?  You better save your pennies for those new Beach Boys commemorative releases, because our conversation is through.  I write the songs that make the whole world sing, dagnabit.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »

You will not be given a free copy of the Beach Boys commemorative releases.  Save your pennies.
Bruce Johns(t)on, Santa Barbara
thegoldenyear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »

How long's Mike been rocking the wave-your-smartphone-in-the-air-like-a-lighter routine? Didn't catch it in Toronto, but he did it a few times last night.

What a fine show. The Darien crowd really came to sing and dance. Must be a long weekend in summer.

Al's voice is a force of nature, so strong and clear. In both of my shows, each time he's taken the mike from Bruce in ASMTYD he's nearly blown the PA. Come Go With Me was a REAL popular set addition for the Darien crowd.

David never disappoints: seems he can play anything in the songbook. Pet Sounds is a nice feature for him and a great wake-up call for stragglers wandering about during intermission. (I bought the Marksmen CD after the show.)

Brian was, on the whole, a touch more engaged than in Toronto - arm waving and conducting, his voice cutting through the blend a number of times. Nice verses in Good Timin'. Seemed to be doing a little soft-shoe routine with Mike during the final bow. Loved the (evidently erroneous) Taylor Mills introduction.

Mike was Mike. Consistent. Loads of pep. Brilliant on the bottom when needed. The gen pop loves him at these shows. He looks like he's having fun, but isn't that what he's programmed to do in the first place?

Kokomo's been dull and lifeless at my shows. The song just sounds like a hack job, and flounders in this company. People love the chorus and Carl tag, but it's a shame it's held 'til the encore.

But the other 46 or 47 songs? They are really something else. This tour's been more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

----Len in Toronto
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »

Easy Mike!

I really miss Taylor, can't wait to see some videos

Just got home! I'll just give a quick report because it's quite late.  Taylor joined the band for Marcella, and did a phenomenal job.  She added so much to the song, and sang a beautiful introduction.  She then joined the band for the encore.  I talked to Taylor before the concert and during intermission, she's such a great person to talk to.  Before Marcella, while introducing Taylor, Brian mentioned she just had a baby.  Well, talking to Taylor during intermission, I congratulated her on her baby.  She proceeded to tell me she has not had a baby, that Brian just randomly said that, and he must have thought that she had a child. She told me she had left Brian's band for family reasons, so she said that maybe that was why Brian assumed she had a baby  LOL  In any event, she told me this was the only concert she would be singing with the band and attending.  She said she flew in from Texas, and that the plan would be to join Brian's band following the end of the anniversary tour should he tour solo.  She said, jokingly, she would have a petition for her to re-join Brian's band. 

She told me that there were so many people on stage, that the band really didn't need another voice.  But boy, did she do amazing on Marcella.  I have a clip of it, but I didn't manage to record the truly phenomenal part, though I will post what I have later.  She was wonderful to talk to though, and talked with me for around ten minutes during intermission.  For the rest of the concert she sat five rows in front of me before the encore!

THANK YOU!!! For clearing up what happened to Taylor, I wish she'd come back..

How funny is that baby story, classic Brian

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »

My voice is getting thin?  Who asked you?  You better save your pennies for those new Beach Boys commemorative releases, because our conversation is through.  I write the songs that make the whole world sing, dagnabit.

LOL

How long's Mike been rocking the wave-your-smartphone-in-the-air-like-a-lighter routine? Didn't catch it in Toronto, but he did it a few times last night.

I think he did it a couple weeks ago in Cleveland as well. At any rate, it's time for Brian to break out the Cigarette Lighter Joke.

Com'on! It's a comedy classic!

Take my wife...please...

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »

The Professor (who has enlightened us on several threads) is self-evidently Van Dyke. Brian was ghost, but got scared.

I, on the other hand, am clearly Melinda.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:33 PM »

The Professor (who has enlightened us on several threads) is self-evidently Van Dyke. Brian was ghost, but got scared.

Brian's so The Heartical Don! The crucial evidence? He hasn't been posting for a while.... no wi-fi on the tourbus!

Now which one of us is Mike?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »

Was at the Darien Lake Concert last night. Just saw the photo of brian with Rocker.

That's not me (no pun!). I haven't been to any show yet. I'll see them in August in Berlin though. I only post pictures here that I found on the web

Here's a review:

Good vibrations as Brian Wilson reinforces Beach Boys
http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/gusto/music/concert-reviews/article928778.ece

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:51:50 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »

More :

Source: http://thedailynewsonline.com/entertainment/article_188c7fbc-c260-11e1-ac40-001a4bcf887a.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »

Brian's so The Heartical Don! The crucial evidence? He hasn't been posting for a while.... no wi-fi on the tourbus!

Andrew. That's the surprise, twist ending.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »

Andrew. That's the surprise, twist ending.
Damn, I thought it was Ron! Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »

I thought you were Joe Thomas... and made a bearded guy do the meet & greets for ya.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2012, 05:45:34 PM »

'sup girl, smokin' hot
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »

'sup girl, smokin' hot

[Blushes]
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2012, 05:54:16 PM »

LOL
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »

Dang, so whurr all tha media at?

No mas, por favor.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »

Easy Mike!

Looks like Mike just picked up some good vibrations...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »

That picture is hilarious in more ways than one.  Jeff's face + microphone

No mas, por favor.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2012, 09:56:12 PM »

I usually wouldn't presume to speak for someone else, but it sure ain't runners, unless Brian is into Nirvana, too! Smiley

Runners has a pretty...unique, take on things sometimes and we all know Brian can be pretty quirky in a "is he serious or not" kinda way.

...Just sayin' Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx