gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:38:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reunion tour song list  (Read 10128 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »

We recently had that "Campfire Songs" thread. If I remember correctly, they sang "Still Cruisin" around the campfire on one of the shows and Brian was really into it. Of course, that was 23 years ago....
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 07:06:32 PM »

HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT A SONG FROM FRIENDS (or Love You, but i'm just wishin' here) INSTEAD OF STILL CRUISIN', HOW ABOUT THAT HUH?

But they're STILL CRUISIN' AFTER ALL THESE YEARS! Don't you get it?

I know. Still, they could have added Summer Of Love.

Oooooooooooooooooh right, makes sense! my bad then.

Hell, open the show with that song boys!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »

I may be in the minority here, but I love hearing Still Cruisin at live shows!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 07:03:28 AM »

HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT A SONG FROM FRIENDS (or Love You, but i'm just wishin' here) INSTEAD OF STILL CRUISIN', HOW ABOUT THAT HUH?

But they're STILL CRUISIN' AFTER ALL THESE YEARS! Don't you get it?

I remember an interview with Carl on british TV and he was asked what the new single was called and he said "Still cruisin'...after all of these years" and rolled his eyes to the extreme  Grin
But again, I like that song. But not if they cut "Our prayer" or something to that effect for it. More cuts from Friends, Love you, etc. would be appreciated. And some stuff like "Lonely sea", "Surfer moon", etc. would be neat, too

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 07:11:59 AM »

Just to point out, as I did in the CLARKSTON, MI thread, that "Still Cruisin'" was specifically added as a nod to Detroit's Woodward Dream Cruise event - Mike was intent on doing as many car songs as possible for the "Motor City"...and the local audience loved it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 07:17:11 AM »

Just to point out, as I did in the CLARKSTON, MI thread, that "Still Cruisin'" was specifically added as a nod to Detroit's Woodward Dream Cruise event - Mike was intent on doing as many car songs as possible for the "Motor City"...and the local audience loved it.

It was played in Milwaukee as well....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »

Excellent post, Wirestone! I was gonna do the same thing but you saved me the trouble.

So is the list at the top of the thread the current "revision"?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »

...and, apparently, they enjoyed doing the song so much in Detroit that they're keeping it in the show!  Grin

The truth is, in the context of the set, the song was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Brian really seemed committed to the backing vocals in Detroit. Given how many truly great songs they're doing each night, I can't really complain about the lesser ones. For me, the two sets flowed flawlessly...until "Kokomo" and "Barbara Ann"; I know they're big hits, but they don't set well as encore songs. I'd move "Help Me, Rhonda" and "California Girls" into those positions and move "Kokomo" to somewhere in the middle of the first set ("Barbara Ann" can simply be moved to the discard pile).
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »

Excellent post, Wirestone! I was gonna do the same thing but you saved me the trouble.

So is the list at the top of the thread the current "revision"?

It is now, or should be ... still don't know the lead vocalists for Cruisin' besides Mike, though ...
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »

I think this thread should be a sticky since it's an important feature of this tour.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »

Agreed!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »

Like this thread a lot....I wasn't at a concert where it was done but from the youtube video it sounds like Brian on the verses (Carl's part) and Al  ( not Jeff)  on the "you need Good Timin , it takes Good Timin responses" but I could be wrong.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »

...and, apparently, they enjoyed doing the song so much in Detroit that they're keeping it in the show!  Grin

The truth is, in the context of the set, the song was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Brian really seemed committed to the backing vocals in Detroit. Given how many truly great songs they're doing each night, I can't really complain about the lesser ones. For me, the two sets flowed flawlessly...until "Kokomo" and "Barbara Ann"; I know they're big hits, but they don't set well as encore songs. I'd move "Help Me, Rhonda" and "California Girls" into those positions and move "Kokomo" to somewhere in the middle of the first set ("Barbara Ann" can simply be moved to the discard pile).

I agree with you about the encore songs.  Why save two of the worst songs for last?  I understand that Kokomo has gotta be there, but seriously, is anyone really going to go home crushed because they didn't do Barbara Ann???
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »

Like this thread a lot....I wasn't at a concert where it was done but from the youtube video it sounds like Brian on the verses (Carl's part) and Al  ( not Jeff)  on the "you need Good Timin , it takes Good Timin responses" but I could be wrong.

I've read that elsewhere on the board too. I changed it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »

Both shows that I attended some folks were yelling for Barbara Ann throughout the performance. The Boys are more known for it now, than The Regents. It would be missed. Even Brian had it in his encores since 1999.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »

Both shows that I attended some folks were yelling for Barbara Ann throughout the performance. The Boys are more known for it now, than The Regents. It would be missed. Even Brian had it in his encores since 1999.

I remember going back through the excellent BB Setlist Archive website, and I think there was a period of time around 1986 or so where the BB's experimented with opening with something other than "California Girls", and I think one of the experiments was opening the show with "Barbara Ann." I always wondered if that would quiet the people yelling for it for the entire show. Who knows, maybe they'd just want to hear it again.......

Actually, it looks like the experiment was opening with "Good Vibrations", and "Barbara Ann" was in the middle of the set. It's funny how not opening with "California Girls" was an exciting change for an 80's BB setlist.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:19:43 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »

I understand that Kokomo has gotta be there, but seriously, is anyone really going to go home crushed because they didn't do Barbara Ann???

Unfortunately yes......

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »

I remember going back through the excellent BB Setlist Archive website, and I think there was a period of time around 1986 or so where the BB's experimented with opening with something other than "California Girls", and I think one of the experiments was opening the show with "Barbara Ann." I always wondered if that would quiet the people yelling for it for the entire show. Who knows, maybe they'd just want to hear it again.......

Actually, it looks like the experiment was opening with "Good Vibrations", and "Barbara Ann" was in the middle of the set. It's funny how not opening with "California Girls" was an exciting change for an 80's BB setlist.

They opened with Good Vibrations in 1986 when the tour was being sponsored by Sunkist

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »

I don't mind Kokomo or Babs in the encore. I just wish they also did Good Vibes there.

Also, the band clearly loathes playing Kokomo. It's incredibly lifeless, except for Mike.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 11:55:23 AM »

They opened with Good Vibrations in 1986 when the tour was being sponsored by Sunkist

In the early 70s around "Surf's up" they did that too

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »

I saw The Beach Boys in Valley Forge, PA in I think 1982, and they opened with "It's OK". Caught me totally off guard because that song was on its way out of the set list by then - I thought. I remember that Carl had recently returned to the band, Jeff Foskett was also there, and the show was very tight.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »

I don't mind Kokomo or Babs in the encore. I just wish they also did Good Vibes there.

Also, the band clearly loathes playing Kokomo. It's incredibly lifeless, except for Mike.

Totally agree. I'd like to see the encore as "Good Vibrations", "Barbara Ann", and "Fun, Fun, Fun". Move "Kokomo" to the beginning portion of the second set.
Coachhill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »

That's 54 songs, by my count. Any I'm missing?

When I added it to a excel spreadsheet, I was at 59, minus the 2 that may or may not have been played during a sound check

“We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things,
because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
~Walt Disney~
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2012, 01:52:59 PM »

That's 54 songs, by my count. Any I'm missing?

When I added it to a excel spreadsheet, I was at 59, minus the 2 that may or may not have been played during a sound check

It's gone up because I've edited the list subsequently.
Coachhill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »

Thank you for putting the list together.  Grin

“We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things,
because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
~Walt Disney~
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: