gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:16:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loren Daro comments on Brian & LSD (possibly...)  (Read 70353 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »

If only Brian had a reality show in the 60s.  Cheesy  "This week's episode: Brian and entourage accompany Tony Asher to the DMV. Hilarity ensues when Loren Daro slips some LSD to the woman behind the counter."

Next week, it's a barrel of laughs when the boys pretend they actually read Siddhartha and try to expound on it intelligently under the influence of powerful hash!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »

If only Brian had a reality show in the 60s.  Cheesy  "This week's episode: Brian and entourage accompany Tony Asher to the DMV. Hilarity ensues when Loren Daro slips some LSD to the woman behind the counter."

Next week, it's a barrel of laughs when the boys pretend they actually read Siddhartha and try to expound on it intelligently under the influence of powerful hash!

Cue the "impending doom" music in the background for the next preview teaser:

A haggard-looking Dennis walks in and says "Bri, man, you should have seen this group of girls I just picked up hitch-hiking, they're stopping by with a guy named Charlie later tonight..."

(tight shot of Brian's raised eyebrows, fade to black...)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »

"Oh hi, Charlie...Dennis isn't home right now..."
"That's okay, just tell him this is for him..." Hand overs bullet, shot in close-up.
Laugh track: Ahhhh-hahahahahaha!
Off scared look of recipient: "Fear is just awareness, man!"
Laugh track: Ahh-hahahaha! (appreciative clapping)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »

"That's okay, just tell him this is for him..." Hand overs bullet, shot in close-up.

Laugh track on a reality show?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »

If you condense his post on that blog down to just one claim, which is that two songs were written about him and his wife, why do a few people on this board seem to believe him about that?  Or perhaps I'm not understanding.  There's a difference between believing it's possible, and believing it's an absolute fact that Brian wrote those two songs about Mr. and Mrs. Darro.  I also find it a little strange that these claims have never been published before, in spite of the fact that Lorren has spoken to multiple authors of Beach Boys biographies.  You'd think he would have bragged to those authors that he was the subject of those songs, not just making that claim for the first time just a few days ago on an obscure blog.

My problem with Mr. Darro is that if one looks at the CV/resume attached to his post, his overall honesty is questionable.  The guy sounds like a narcissist, conflating his credits greatly.  He claims he was not only the tour manager for a number of bands, he was the highest paid tour manager in the music industry.  Really?  How would he even know what fellow tour managers were being paid and talked to them all to compare notes (for example, he knows for a fact he was higher paid than the tour managers for Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd)?  What I find even more curious is I've never found reference to him being tour manager to at least some of the bands mention, including The Who.  I'm not sure he was ever a road manager for the Beach Boys, either, but perhaps he was before he got kicked out of the band's inner circle.  He goes on about the books he published, but both were self-published, "vanity" books.  One of his books claims to condense 150,000 English words down to the only 5,000 words you'll ever need.  For all his lavish claims, it seems like no one knew where he was for years, as though he disappeared off the radar screens and was hard to find.  Funny that people didn't know what happened to a guy who now claims to be so accomplished at so many things.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »

I'm shocked....shocked...that anyone in LA, especially in the honorable business that is Music/Show Business, would lie or exaggerate on their resume.

onkster
(aka, best documentarian in LA/Hollywood!)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »

Laugh track on a reality show?

Sorry, I was thrown off by the "ominous music" thing earlier, and started imagining a sitcom...
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

If you condense his post on that blog down to just one claim, which is that two songs were written about him and his wife, why do a few people on this board seem to believe him about that?  Or perhaps I'm not understanding.  There's a difference between believing it's possible, and believing it's an absolute fact that Brian wrote those two songs about Mr. and Mrs. Darro.

Since he never once uses the term "fact" or "absolute fact" (those are your words, not his) then I am really unclear of the distinction. I guess my question is, how do you interpret whether people "believe something is possible" or "believe something is an absolute fact." Is it simply a matter of if you don't like the person, you assume they believe it's an absolute fact so you can more easily criticize them for something they, in fact, never said?

Again, because you are not really reading the responses on this thread, I will offer my other examples again. John Lennon believed that both Hey Jude and Get Back were written about him and Yoko. As far as I know, Paul has always gone on record as saying that Hey Jude was strictly about Julian. The fact that John Lennon believed that (whether he believed it was "possible" or an "absolute fact", I don't know) is not all that surprising to me, quite honestly, and furthermore, despite the fact the songs were not about him and Yoko, this does not serve to undermine Lennon's overall perception of that era.

I also find it a little strange that these claims have never been published before, in spite of the fact that Lorren has spoken to multiple authors of Beach Boys biographies.  You'd think he would have bragged to those authors that he was the subject of those songs, not just making that claim for the first time just a few days ago on an obscure blog.

My hunch is you wouldn't believe it regardless.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:09:21 PM by rockandroll » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »

Rockandroll, I read your previous post.  I was referring to people who keep bringing up that Asher went to school with Darro, like they're trying to give more credence to Darro being right about those songs being about him and his wife. With absolutely nothing else to go on other than that single blog post.   The comparison to Lennon and McCartney isn't that salient, either.  You really think the relationship between John and Paul, that was much closer than any of the people involved here, is somehow relevant?  I don't.  Brian knew Darro for a year or two, tops.  Asher knew him a bit longer, but they weren't living together as Lennon and McCartney were at times, or collaborators in a business venture like the Beatles.   Darro is an egomaniac.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »

As for the claim that Darro never said those songs were about him for a fact, that he merely implied it was possible, and I'm the one who is putting words in his post just because I don't like him, here are Darro's words.  He seems to believe that those songs are about him in fact, not in possibility:

All I can say in my defense is that it is universally understood that Brian’s best work followed in the next two years: ‘Pet Sounds’, ‘Good Vibrations’ (written about my wife, Lynda), and ‘Smile’, among others. (Incidentally, ‘I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times’ was written about me.) Mike Love hated all this new, modern work, and viciously attacked Brian about it again and again; for years, Mike employed teams of lawyers to harass him. He called ‘Good Vibrations’ “avant-garde sh*t”. Ask yourself, how you would have liked to have spent years on the road with (again, in my opinion), the detestable Mike Love?

Please keep in mind that Brian, to this day, is humble, self-effacing and eager to please others. He has always abhorred confrontation of any kind. He was unable to stand up to powerful villains like his father and Mike Love – not to mention Marilyn and a greedy herd of record business executives. Running away and pretending to be mentally ill was his only solution. He was fenced-in by selfish, narrow-minded mediocrities.

Because of this, Brian could not mention my name in public, or to any of them, except in ‘regretting’ his LSD experience. Brian’s mother, Audrey, became the inspiration for ‘Good Vibrations’. Just reading the lyrics will explode that myth. Also, that ‘I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times’ was about himself. ‘Not made for these times’? ‘What goes wrong’? It makes no sense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »

Rockandroll, I read your previous post.  I was referring to people who keep bringing up that Asher went to school with Darro, like they're trying to give more credence to Darro being right about those songs being about him and his wife. With absolutely nothing else to go on other than that single blog post.   The comparison to Lennon and McCartney isn't that salient, either.  You really think the relationship between John and Paul, that was much closer than any of the people involved here, is somehow relevant?  I don't. 

Sorry, I was unaware of your argument that the closeness between Loren and Brian was the hinge that makes his claims about I Just Wasn't Made and Good Vibrations more or less believable. Please point me to the point in the conversation where you said that.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »

As for the claim that Darro never said those songs were about him for a fact, that he merely implied it was possible, and I'm the one who is putting words in his post just because I don't like him, here are Darro's words.  He seems to believe that those songs are about him in fact, not in possibility:

All I can say in my defense is that it is universally understood that Brian’s best work followed in the next two years: ‘Pet Sounds’, ‘Good Vibrations’ (written about my wife, Lynda), and ‘Smile’, among others. (Incidentally, ‘I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times’ was written about me.) Mike Love hated all this new, modern work, and viciously attacked Brian about it again and again; for years, Mike employed teams of lawyers to harass him. He called ‘Good Vibrations’ “avant-garde sh*t”. Ask yourself, how you would have liked to have spent years on the road with (again, in my opinion), the detestable Mike Love?

Please keep in mind that Brian, to this day, is humble, self-effacing and eager to please others. He has always abhorred confrontation of any kind. He was unable to stand up to powerful villains like his father and Mike Love – not to mention Marilyn and a greedy herd of record business executives. Running away and pretending to be mentally ill was his only solution. He was fenced-in by selfish, narrow-minded mediocrities.

Because of this, Brian could not mention my name in public, or to any of them, except in ‘regretting’ his LSD experience. Brian’s mother, Audrey, became the inspiration for ‘Good Vibrations’. Just reading the lyrics will explode that myth. Also, that ‘I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times’ was about himself. ‘Not made for these times’? ‘What goes wrong’? It makes no sense.

Please highlight the "fact" words in there and then when you can't do that (because the word appears exactly zero times) be prepared to argue that everybody should always add the phrase, "in my opinion" to the end of every single sentence they ever speak in their entire lives. Most rational people however, understand that those words are always already implicit in every sentence, that no one ever speaks of things as if they are objective facts unless they actually outright say so.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »

Rockandroll, I read your previous post.  I was referring to people who keep bringing up that Asher went to school with Darro, like they're trying to give more credence to Darro being right about those songs being about him and his wife. With absolutely nothing else to go on other than that single blog post.   The comparison to Lennon and McCartney isn't that salient, either.  You really think the relationship between John and Paul, that was much closer than any of the people involved here, is somehow relevant?  I don't.  

Sorry, I was unaware of your argument that the closeness between Loren and Brian was the hinge that makes his claims about I Just Wasn't Made and Good Vibrations more or less believable. Please point me to the point in the conversation where you said that.

I'm not even sure what you're saying here.  Loren and Brian weren't that close, certainly not that much closer than the rest of the hangers-on around at that time.  If Loren wants to believe those songs were about him, what's to stop anyone else around at the time to claim the songs were about them?  I recall a story about Brian claiming Michael Vosse's wife was sending out telepathic messages to him and he thought she was a witch.  Isn't it possible that "Good Vibrations" is about Michael Vosse's wife and not Darro's?  

You're the one thinking that "in my opinion" is added to the end of everyone's sentences.  Most people don't have those qualifiers.  That's like saying that people who go around saying "I accept Jesus Christ as my savior" are silently implying "in my opinion" at the end of their sentence.  Maybe the word isn't "fact" so much as "belief," but for the believer, it is a fact.  Darro believes those songs are about him and his wife and his way of stating it without qualification makes it clear.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »

I'm not even sure what you're saying here.  Loren and Brian weren't that close, certainly not that much closer than the rest of the hangers-on around at that time.  If Loren wants to believe those songs were about him, what's to stop anyone else around at the time to claim the songs were about them?

Nothing.

I recall a story about Brian claiming Michael Vosse's wife was sending out telepathic messages to him and he thought she was a witch.  Isn't it possible that "Good Vibrations" is about Michael Vosse's wife and not Darro's?  

Yep. My point is that Loren believing those songs are about him do absolutely nothing to discredit him or his post, just as John Lennon believing that Hey Jude, Get Back, Too Many People, 3 Legs, etc. were about him didn't do anything to discredit him even though he was probably wrong.

You're the one thinking that "in my opinion" is added to the end of everyone's sentences.

It is. For instance:

Most people don't have those qualifiers.  That's like saying that people who go around saying "I accept Jesus Christ as my savior" are silently implying "in my opinion" at the end of their sentence.  

They are not implying it, but the opinion is there nevertheless.

Maybe the word isn't "fact" so much as "belief," but for the believer, it is a fact.  Darro believes those songs are about him and his wife and his way of stating it without qualification makes it clear.

So, in other words, you'd be happier if he said, "I believe these songs are about him but other people believe that, say, Good Vibrations is about Audree." Oh, wait a minute. That's exactly what he did say.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »

I'm not even sure that post is the actual Darro,  because the timeline seems completely off.  He says that he gave Brian LSD in 1964, after being friends with Brian and hanging out with him at their homes and recording studios, and that Brian had been begging him for the entire three years to get him LSD.  Was he friends with Brian going all the way back to 1961 or 1962, when Brian was presumably still hanging out with surf and car people like Gary Usher? 

BTW, he says that other people believe that GV is about Audree because Brian lied to cover up that it was about Darro's wife.  That's a bit of a difference than saying that people are of a different opinion and that's okay.  He seems a little upset that people don't know that the song is about his wife because Brian has been lying all these years to avoid being associated with Darro and his wife.  If Darro has some kind of story about why he thinks the song is about his wife, or why the other song is about him, then it would have been helpful if he had offered those stories.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:09:20 PM by mcg1119 » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »

I'm not even sure that post is the actual Darro,  because the timeline seems completely off.  He says that he gave Brian LSD in 1964, after being friends with Brian and hanging out with him at their homes and recording studios, and that Brian had been begging him for the entire three years to get him LSD.  Was he friends with Brian going all the way back to 1961 or 1962, when Brian was presumably still hanging out with surf and car people like Gary Usher?

I'm not entirely sold on it either, though the quote from Cam Mott on page one makes me fairly close to being certain. I certainly wouldn't question the legitimacy of something just because a man in his mid 70s is fuzzy on dates from 50 years ago. I guess Lennon could have been an imposter too for saying that the Lennon and McCartney songwriting partnership ended in 1962.
Paulos
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »

Have you even met anyone whose done LSD?  I have.  I even have a person in my immediate family who did it.  It didn't sound a positive experience to me. 

I've tripped. Have you? So what? Your mind is a mountain of propaganda.

People who do drugs are morons.

Apparently McG has clearly never had a cup of coffee or tea and definitely not a glass of Cola or can of Red Bull. Neither has he ever suffered from any ailment, illness or injury which would necessitate medication and has most certainly never tried the evil that is tobacco. McG also doesn't imbibe alcohol in any shape or form, I heard he's never even used one of those alcohol hand sanitizers lest some alcohol seep into his system and turn him into one of the 'morons' he so despises. He also had a friend who once walked past some kids smoking pot; three weeks later that same friend spontaneously combusted, coincidence?  

I can only conclude that McG is a Mormon. Sorry, I mean moron.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »

Have you even met anyone whose done LSD?  I have.  I even have a person in my immediate family who did it.  It didn't sound a positive experience to me. 

Apparently McG has clearly never had a cup of coffee or tea and definitely not a glass of Cola or can of Red Bull. Neither has he ever suffered from any ailment, illness or injury which would necessitate medication and has most certainly never tried the evil that is tobacco. McG also doesn't imbibe alcohol in any shape or form, I heard he's never even used one of those alcohol hand sanitizers lest some alcohol seep into his system and turn him into one of the 'morons' he so despises. He also had a friend who once walked past some kids smoking pot; three weeks later that same friend spontaneously combusted, coincidence?  

You jump on this thread just to say this?  Nice guy.  I'll remember that whenever I read your thoughtful posts.
Paulos
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »

You jump on this thread just to say this?  Nice guy.  I'll remember that whenever I read your thoughtful posts.

Yes, I jumped on this thread just to say this. Or, I was reading and enjoying the thread when I became incensed by your deliberately provocative statement and felt compelled to respond. Oh, and my posts generally aren't very deep and thoughtful so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »

Didn't you yourself make a sweeping generalization that cast an entire cultural group as morons?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2012, 01:22:03 PM »

I also find it a little strange that these claims have never been published before, in spite of the fact that Lorren has spoken to multiple authors of Beach Boys biographies.  You'd think he would have bragged to those authors that he was the subject of those songs, not just making that claim for the first time just a few days ago on an obscure blog.

Just to be clear, ten years ago I'm pretty sure Lorren told me he had never talked to David Leaf, he had not been interviewed by anyone for publication. I'm pretty sure I remember that right because it was surprising at the time. Since then maybe someone has published something from interviewing Lorren [besides Beautiful Dreamer], I'm not sure. PAC maybe?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »

Didn't you yourself make a sweeping generalization that cast an entire cultural group as morons?

There are a few Mormon forum members here who weren't to thrilled about being called morons. I have to agree that Paulos' comment was somewhat douche-like.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2012, 02:22:44 PM »

There are a few Mormon forum members here who weren't to thrilled about being called morons. I have to agree that Paulos' comment was somewhat douche-like.

ahh jeez, he was making light  before he called the spade a spade; still, he obviously hit too close to home for those moronic Mormons reading at that point.  ( in my opinion, of course)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »

Heck, he even called The Beach Boys morons!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »

ahh jeez, he was making light  before he called the spade a spade; still, he obviously hit too close to home for those moronic Mormons reading at that point.  ( in my opinion, of course)

Just out of curiousity, does "bgas" stand for Big Ass?  Roll Eyes
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx