gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:41:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loren Daro comments on Brian & LSD (possibly...)  (Read 70111 times)
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »

http://www.collapseboard.com/everett-true/odd-comment-left-on-brian-wilson-blog-entry/

Weird situation.  As the author says, it's hard to know whether it is legit.  Worth a look all the same.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »

If it all checks out, that could be one of the bigger myth-busting articles of recent years. I'm still digesting it, and it is pretty stunning information in light if what has been told for decades.

I'll second the "worth a look" description.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »

I've never understood the reverence Brian's "friends" from the '60s and '70s were held in.  Whatever terrible things Murry or Mike Love/Beach Boys or Capitol Records supposedly did to him, those people didn't sound any better and gave him a lot of support to take drugs, which made his problems that much worse.  Most of them also didn't seem to believe or understand anything about mental illness.  What "Daro" says about Marilyn Wilson is particularly pathetic.  He should be ashamed of himself, but he is 75, so I guess he's entitled to a senior citizen discount in the shame department.  
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »

I've never understood the reverence Brian's "friends" from the '60s and '70s were held in.  Whatever terrible things Murry or Mike Love/Beach Boys or Capitol Records supposedly did to him, those people didn't sound any better and gave him a lot of support to take drugs, which made his problems that much worse.  Most of them also didn't seem to believe or understand anything about mental illness.  What "Daro" says about Marilyn Wilson is particularly pathetic.  He should be ashamed of himself, but he is 75, so I guess he's entitled to a senior citizen discount in the shame department.  

You got that impression from reading this particular article? Naturally it's taken with a grain of salt, but just the opposite is the impression I took away from Loren's comments about various folks who shared a family connection and according to the article plied Brian with drugs legal and illegal.

Once again it could be complete BS, all of it, but if it adds up it does change the narrative we've read for years.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »

Looks like a hoax to me - the mention of the 'salon' related directly to a BW book. Also, the mention of grammar school in a US contest is puzzling.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »

Even if this is "Daro," the man who changed his name to be correct according to numerology, can anyone believe a word this guy says?  He says "Good Vibrations" was about his (Daro's) wife, Lynda, and that Brian was forced by the people around him to change the story to the song being about Audree Wilson, his mom.  Huh?  He also says that Brian's signature tune, "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" was about himself, Daro.  Not Brian.  He's trying to take away one of Brian most poignant signature pieces about himself.  Sure, Tony Asher wrote most of the words, but he supposedly wrote them about Brian.  Daro also takes credit for introducing him to both Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks.  Here's Daro's quote from his comments about GV and "Times":

All I can say in my defense is that it is universally understood that Brian’s best work followed in the next two years: ‘Pet Sounds’, ‘Good Vibrations’ (written about my wife, Lynda), and ‘Smile’, among others. (Incidentally, ‘I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times’ was written about me.) Mike Love hated all this new, modern work, and viciously attacked Brian about it again and again; for years, Mike employed teams of lawyers to harass him. He called ‘Good Vibrations’ “avant-garde sh*t”. Ask yourself, how you would have liked to have spent years on the road with (again, in my opinion), the detestable Mike Love?

Please keep in mind that Brian, to this day, is humble, self-effacing and eager to please others. He has always abhorred confrontation of any kind. He was unable to stand up to powerful villains like his father and Mike Love – not to mention Marilyn and a greedy herd of record business executives. Running away and pretending to be mentally ill was his only solution. He was fenced-in by selfish, narrow-minded mediocrities.

Because of this, Brian could not mention my name in public, or to any of them, except in ‘regretting’ his LSD experience. Brian’s mother, Audrey, became the inspiration for ‘Good Vibrations’. Just reading the lyrics will explode that myth. Also, that ‘I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times’ was about himself. ‘Not made for these times’? ‘What goes wrong’? It makes no sense.

BTW, Andrew, we do use the expression grammar school here in the states for the kindergarten through sixth grade years.  I'm not sure about the salon bit, but the fact that's in books may have originated with quotes from interviews with people who were around at the time, including Daro. The Gertrude Stein/salon thing is not that odd of a comparison, and some of the people involved were that pretentious.  It is a pretty well-laid out hoax if it is, though.  Not a very nice thing to do to Terry Satchen or Marilyn Wilson, whether it's a hoax or the actual Daro. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »

Looks like a hoax to me - the mention of the 'salon' related directly to a BW book. Also, the mention of grammar school in a US contest is puzzling.

I've heard the term "Grammar School" used in the US since I was a kid, among people Loren's age it isn't uncommon that "elementary school" used to be called grammar school.

If he had said "primary school" as a US resident, I'd be very suspicious... Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »

Even if this is "Daro," the man who changed his name to be correct according to numerology, can anyone believe a word this guy says?  He says "Good Vibrations" was about his (Daro's) wife, Lynda, and that Brian was forced by the people around him to change the story to the song being about Audree Wilson, his mom.  Huh?  He also says that Brian's signature tune, "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" was about himself, Daro.  Not Brian.  He's trying to take away one of Brian most poignant signature pieces about himself.  Sure, Tony Asher wrote most of the words, but he supposedly wrote them about Brian.  Daro also takes credit for introducing him to both Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks.  Here's Daro's quote from his comments about GV and "Times":

I don't like doing this and casting doubt, but isn't there as much of a possibility that any of the statements above is true rather than false, or vice versa? The part about introducing Brian to Tony and Van Dyke...that makes sense. And it would make more sense if a story were concocted whenever they were asked how they met Brian to avoid having to say "There is this publicist guy in Hollywood who works with a lot of musicians, and he was also sitting on a stash of pure Owsley acid, great hash, and has great connections." See the Lovin' Spoonful for an example of what happened when someone did name names in this whole scene, not to mention the legal problems. Smiley

And if Daro knew Asher before knowing Brian, can we rule out the notion that maybe some of Tony's words were about Daro in some ways and Brian in others? It's a stretch, but this stuff does make you think about other possibilities.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 11:45:31 PM »

Even if this is "Daro," the man who changed his name to be correct according to numerology, can anyone believe a word this guy says?  He says "Good Vibrations" was about his (Daro's) wife, Lynda, and that Brian was forced by the people around him to change the story to the song being about Audree Wilson, his mom.  Huh?  He also says that Brian's signature tune, "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" was about himself, Daro.  Not Brian.  He's trying to take away one of Brian most poignant signature pieces about himself.  Sure, Tony Asher wrote most of the words, but he supposedly wrote them about Brian.  Daro also takes credit for introducing him to both Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks.  Here's Daro's quote from his comments about GV and "Times":

I don't like doing this and casting doubt, but isn't there as much of a possibility that any of the statements above is true rather than false, or vice versa? The part about introducing Brian to Tony and Van Dyke...that makes sense. And it would make more sense if a story were concocted whenever they were asked how they met Brian to avoid having to say "There is this publicist guy in Hollywood who works with a lot of musicians, and he was also sitting on a stash of pure Owsley acid, great hash, and has great connections." See the Lovin' Spoonful for an example of what happened when someone did name names in this whole scene, not to mention the legal problems. Smiley

And if Daro knew Asher before knowing Brian, can we rule out the notion that maybe some of Tony's words were about Daro in some ways and Brian in others? It's a stretch, but this stuff does make you think about other possibilities.

The biggest "possibility" and "myth-busting" I see in Daro's self-serving screed is that Brian is not mentally ill and has been malingering for years, just to get out of touring,etc.  According to Daro, and that's cruel.  A lot of mentally ill people don't see themselves that way and will discount their symptoms to other people, especially when it first starts occurring.  According to Daro's buddy, Tony Asher, Brian behaved oddly and had emotional outbursts when they were collaborating on "Pet Sounds."  None of that was to put on a show for the band or the record label.  Other than Daro's claim of Brian's not being mentally ill, I don't see any great revelations there.  Unless you count saying that Marilyn Wilson is "bovine," that his cousin Terry is the one responsible for getting Brian hooked on drugs, and that two of Brian's most lauded songs were written about Daro and his wife.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »

I think it's legit, personally. Why would anyone go through the trouble to make that up?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:55:09 PM »

I think it's legit, personally. Why would anyone go through the trouble to make that up?

Adding to that point, what could be gained by pretending to be Loren Daro in 2012? The only gain might be someone's joy in watching Beach Boys diehards get all wound up over this. I'm just wondering why he chose what looks to be a lesser-known place on the web to post that statement, if clearing the air and his name were the goals.

It would have made one helluva magazine piece. Smiley

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »

I wonder if Tony Asher agrees with Daro's assessment of what those two songs are about, if that is Loren who posted?  Tony would know.  He not only wrote IJWMFTT, he also wrote the first set of lyrics for GV.  
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 12:02:11 AM »

Horrific bunch of garbage.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 12:08:30 AM »

A lot of it basically sounds like what Daro has said elsewhere. And while it might not have been Daro, I did read an interview from one of Brian's friends in the '60s that contained a less than flattering opinion of Marilyn, so that wouldn't come as a surprise, either. So whether it's the real Daro or not, the opinions are basically accurate - except for the songwriting bit. That could be either a prankster pulling our leg or Daro having false memories (not uncommon amongst old people that took lots of LSD).
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 12:19:18 AM »

I'm just wondering why he chose what looks to be a lesser-known place on the web to post that statement, if clearing the air and his name were the goals.

I think this is real. Why choose to post a message there? Perhaps Loren at his age uses a select group of web sites, magazines, etc. for access to news. He's close in age to my grandfather. I'd imagine that if my grandfather would like to get something off his chest he'd contact a local news paper, instead of the currently hip nation-wide-read magazine.

I think there isn't a tremendous amount of information on Brian's group of friends ca. 1965/1966. But 'Loren' paints a picture in this article which has a lot of resemblance with 'images' I got from reading the book 'How Deep is the Ocean' and Loren's interview segments from the 'Beautiful Dreamer' doc.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:11:12 AM by GuyO » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 01:10:31 AM »

This seems totally legit.  In fact, I would say I'm fairly certain of it.

Of course, some of the anecdotes are a little off, but that's normal.

I think that us fans sometimes get a picture painted by the media, and when people who were actually there tell unfiltered stories, you get a sense of something more 'real'. I spent a lot of time with Durrie Parks in the late '90s, and while some of the facts were fuzzy, I felt like the 'stories behind the stories' revealed a truer sense of the '66-'67 period (and beyond actually).

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 01:46:35 AM »

Here's one thing that might help reveal if this is a hoax or not.  Loren mentions he is "in my seventy-fifth year." 

Anybody know what Loren's birth-date is?  If it's true, he's a few years older than Brian... he sure seemed somewhat youthful in the Smile documentary interviews...
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 02:29:37 AM »

It seems legitimate to me.

Is there anything in the story that we haven't heard before? I think the only "new" thing is IJWMFTT being about/influenced by Loren, but it's nice to hear it all from his angle. Sure, he could have been more diplomatic about Marilyn, but personally I don't have a problem with the man.

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 02:35:09 AM »

What's here that's particularly revelatory?  That Brian may have at one point said he was "faking it"?  He also said he burned the SMiLE tapes.  Brian has a history of giving a short easy answer when he doesn't feel like pontificating on a particular topic.  What would you expect from Brian, a lengthy clinical explanation of his problems?!  Loren seems like somebody who felt accused and guilty for many years, and clearly doesn't have an understanding of mental illness (or hasn't followed Brian's subsequent life very closely, probably both).
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 02:43:31 AM »

To put it this way, it is more believable than what Mike Love said in the Smile mini-episodes last November. That they (the group) were all astonished by the work. I think Dennis was the only one to support Brian back then, but he was not considered a worthy musician by the others as he had not written significant material yet, therefore his opinion was of no value. I think Bruce and Al were probably more on Mike Love's side, and ML obviously didnt like it. Brian has said so, why would he lie about it?

The text harshly criticises Marilyn and says that Brian had no love for her. I know about the part that he tried Marilyns sister but I always had the impression that they were affection towards each other.

Personally I do not hold this against ML 45 years after it happened, one has to move on. I bear a greater grudge against him for what happened with their hip credentials in the 70's and for making Brian do MIU. SIP is unforgivable but then again I don't really consider that a Beach Boys album. I give credit to him for doing these shows with Brian and the rest after all these years and problems.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 04:40:38 AM »

I don't know if this is legit but the first 8 paragraphs are very much like what Loren Darro told me in phone conversation some 10 or 12 years ago. Stuff like the 125 mics of Owsley and the fingering of Terry Sachen for instance were in our conversation and I don't remember that stuff being published anywhere publically. Anyways, whether this was posted by Loren or not I can't say but that first bit is the same things Loren told me save the bit about Brian faking to get off the road I don't remembering coming up.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 04:46:47 AM »

I'm sure he's more like 65 - or maybe he's making that up!

Honk! Honk!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 05:00:45 AM »

This article was very odd... This Darro guy seems just self-serving.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 05:08:33 AM »

His memories can be as off as anyone's at that age about things that happened half a century ago or especially about things Brian Wilson (..!) or anyone said. Would be nice to see VDP or Tony Asher chime in on this. I have a hard time believing the stuff he claims about the lyrics to GV and IJWMFTT (or that he wasn't really in love with Marilyn, for that matter).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:09:46 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 05:19:46 AM »

The Marilyn angle also brings something rarely discussed... the story seems to basically go that Brian became a drug addict, went crazy, and became reclusive, thus killing his marriage.  But let's face it, Marilyn seems like an odd match for a post-LSD/mid-60s Brian. I've always found "In the Back of My Mind" very disturbing in the sense that Brian basically wrote a song foretelling all the trouble he was about to have in his marriage. It strikes me that Brian was being pulled in two directions - he was finding out who he really wanted to be, but at the same time, he wanted to still fit in and be the person all his loved ones expected him to be. People say that the Pet Sounds/Smile Brian wasn't the real Brian, but I look at Brian's decision to stop touring and hang out with his hip LA friends like him going off to college. He was young man meeting new people outside of his traditional social circles, figuring out who he was in the process. A lot of people came out of those situations as changed persons, and I think Brian was no different. It's telling that Brian has spent a good chunk of his time since the mid-60s passively aggressively avoiding his family.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx