gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:55:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joe Thomas 2.0  (Read 15228 times)
MBE
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 03:44:56 AM »

GIOMH isn't great. The vinyl is mixed nice, but only about a side worth of good stuff over four.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2012, 04:15:51 AM »

I remember Rev. Bob's discussion about the "discovery" that Scott Bennett could play an instrument...

And I also find it odd that it was during a tour that it was discovered because he's credited as a MUSICIAN in the Imagination liner notes!

On how many songs does he play an instrument on Imagination? One, i think? Perhaps Brian wasn't even there when Scott recorded his part? How many other other musicians from that session were with Brian's tour band? When they say they discovered Scott was a 'musician' , i don't think they mean a guy who can lay down a guitar part in a pinch in the studio, but someone who can grind it out on tour.

Scott Bennet plays guitar on two tracks from Imagination, along with Bob Lizik (bass), Todd Sucherman (drums), Joe Thomas (keys) and Paul Mertens (horns) who would become the core of Brians live band along with the Wondermints, Jeff and Taylor. I guess with Probyn, Nick and Jeff there was no need for another guitarist, and with Joe and Darian no need for a keyboardist, so Scott volunteered to stick to backing vocals, standing next to Taylor Mills all night. Not a bad call, right? Wink.

I do wonder if theres ever been a discussion or an article about this period (98/99), detailing the exact formation of the band.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »

I shudder at the very early performances in 1998, with Christopher Cross and Bruce.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »

Here's an example of how the band might've sounded. There's another video from the same appearance with Willie Nelson doing "Warmh of the sun"

Lay down burden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2f99ktgHHI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »

Yup...that's it. A lot has changed since then....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »

Here's an example of how the band might've sounded. There's another video from the same appearance with Willie Nelson doing "Warmh of the sun"
Lay down burden:

Is it my imagination (no pun intended) or was Matt Jardine in that video?  Does anyone have more info about this particular lineup and how often they played? 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »

Nope, he was there as well.

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2012, 04:01:40 AM »

Wow, that is really awkward to see Brian standing behind a microphone, looking younger and livelier. Who is in the band? I can see Matt Jardine, Todd Sucherman, Scott Bennet (guitar) and Ed Carter (!) (bass). Another guitarist, two keyboardists (Paul Schaffer and Joe Thomas?), and a percussionist: who are they?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2012, 06:06:20 AM »

Lay down burden:

Is it my imagination (no pun intended) or was Matt Jardine in that video?  Does anyone have more info about this particular lineup and how often they played? 

I believe this was just a one show kinda thing. But some of the guys probably are from Thomas' camp and I guess all in all it's the sound they were going for for Brian's shows

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »

Wow, that is really awkward to see Brian standing behind a microphone, looking younger and livelier. Who is in the band? I can see Matt Jardine, Todd Sucherman, Scott Bennet (guitar) and Ed Carter (!) (bass). Another guitarist, two keyboardists (Paul Schaffer and Joe Thomas?), and a percussionist: who are they?

In the back is Jim Peterik on guitar next to Scott Bennett, and up front is Christopher Cross. I have no idea who that is on percussion.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »

In the back is Jim Peterik on guitar next to Scott Bennett, and up front is Christopher Cross. I have no idea who that is on percussion.

Didn't Bruce Johnston also make an appearance at this performance?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

Didn't Bruce Johnston also make an appearance at this performance?

This was a Farm Aid. I don't think Bruce was there. He was at the show for the Imagination album though. I don't have that DVD but that's what I've heard.
But as I said there is a second video on youtube with Willie doing Warmth Of The Sun (seemingly unrehearsed) with Brian and this band

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

Bruce was also with Brian when he performed 'Your Imagination' on Letterman. Can't remember if Matt was there, though. But Christopher Cross was. *shudder*

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx