gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:54:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has Mike ever commented on "Summer In Paradise?"  (Read 17678 times)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2012, 02:18:01 PM »

The 1993 box set left off "Summer In Paradise" - nothing at all from the album - and I don't recall Mike commenting on SIP at all in interviews I have read (except for the immediate aftermath of the album's release and his comments about Al's "attitude problem").

Has Mike ever commented on SIP? Does he regard it as a good piece of work? Did all the Beach Boys agree unanimously to leave SIP tracks off of the 1993 box set? The SIP album is a singular curiosity in the Beach Boys canon, as it is the first and only time Mike was able to fully impose his image of the group onto an album. MIU doesn't count, as there was still plenty of influence from the other band members.

Did they expect SIP to take off as Kokomo did? Were they disappointed when it didn't sell?

- B00ts
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »

Just a sidenote, 1992,93,94 had to be a tumultuous time in the music industry as Grunge dominated, and rap and rnb grew in popularity.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »

Did they expect SIP to take off as Kokomo did? Were they disappointed when it didn't sell?

Given that no major label would release it, I can't imagine they expected it to do as well.

But -- given the fact that Mike and Terry reworked and re-recorded much of the album for Europe, it's clear they thought it was worth salvaging in some way, though.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »

I honestly don't know what Mike was thinking. He was still in full Hawaiian shirt rapping mode, unaware that a new generation of dope smoking, acid dropping teenagers were discovering Pet Sounds and SMiLE.

I was there in '89. Seventeen and stoned amongst a sea of surf shirts. "Mike", I cried, "Embrace your past"

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »

Given that no major label would release it, I can't imagine they expected it to do as well.

Yeah, but I guess Mike - who is more thinking bout fads (which of course leads to nostalgia) - was sure the formlua of Kokomo would get it once more.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »

Yeah, but I guess Mike - who is more thinking bout fads (which of course leads to nostalgia) - was sure the formlua of Kokomo would get it once more.

I concur--Summer In Paradise was basically Kokomo: The Album

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »

But I'm so glad I own it. Unique packaging, cool artwork, poster, and all. The album gets played in my home. (selected cuts)

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »

But I'm so glad I own it. Unique packaging, cool artwork, poster, and all. The album gets played in my home. (selected cuts)

I like that album. I don't agree with the philosophy behind it but I can dig some of that stuff. And yes, the artwork is fantastic. The best artwork ever on a Beach Boys record

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »

I like that album. I don't agree with the philosophy behind it but I can dig some of that stuff. And yes, the artwork is fantastic. The best artwork ever on a Beach Boys record

I have both CD versions, but I just wished I had the LP - darn koreans, they get all the exclusives  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
oldsurferdude
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »

I honestly don't know what Mike was thinking. He was still in full Hawaiian shirt rapping mode, unaware that a new generation of dope smoking, acid dropping teenagers were discovering Pet Sounds and SMiLE.

I was there in '89. Seventeen and stoned amongst a sea of surf shirts. "Mike", I cried, "Embrace your past"

But he really did embrace his past when he refashioned the intro to BTTYS  "...wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..." Wink
Nicko1234
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

The 1993 box set left off "Summer In Paradise" - nothing at all from the album - and I don't recall Mike commenting on SIP at all in interviews I have read (except for the immediate aftermath of the album's release and his comments about Al's "attitude problem").

Has Mike ever commented on SIP? Does he regard it as a good piece of work? Did all the Beach Boys agree unanimously to leave SIP tracks off of the 1993 box set? The SIP album is a singular curiosity in the Beach Boys canon, as it is the first and only time Mike was able to fully impose his image of the group onto an album. MIU doesn't count, as there was still plenty of influence from the other band members.

I don`t know about Mike but Bruce has commented on it a bit.

He has said that the distributors offered them a stack of money to get it out quickly so they had to rush the production and Terry Melcher consequently hated it. 
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »

He has said that the distributors offered them a stack of money to get it out quickly so they had to rush the production and Terry Melcher consequently hated it. 
Interesting. The album actually was far ahead of its time - it has a very 2010's sound to it: plasticky, high-end heavy, and slick beyond belief. Perhaps it could actually be a hit in the pop culture cesspool of 2012, with its quintessentially digital production (first album ever recorded in Sound Tools ((Pro Tools progenitor)) if I recall correctly).

How is the European mix? They spent more time on it? Imagine they played tracks from SIP on the current tour...

- B00ts
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »

I recall an interview where Mike said SIP was going to be the BB's equivalent of Rattle and Hum...

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »

Just a sidenote, 1992,93,94 had to be a tumultuous time in the music industry as Grunge dominated, and rap and rnb grew in popularity.

But grunge, rap and R&B are AMAZING

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »

I personally think the artwork is horrendous.  In fact, I think it's their worst album artwork. By far.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »

Bruce also said that Hot Fun was recorded in a wrong key. I.e. too low.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »

I personally think the artwork is horrendous.  In fact, I think it's their worst album artwork. By far.

Back in '99 I asked Mike to sign my SIP copy.  He looked at it, probably hadn't seen it in years, and he said "Yeah this was a very good cover". To which I accidentally replied "But only the cover".
He looked at me, continued signing, gave the cd back and left without saying a word.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:31:30 AM by STE » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »

Rude.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »

Haha, an unfortunate slip of the tongue.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »

I personally think the artwork is horrendous.  In fact, I think it's their worst album artwork. By far.

Back in '99 I asked Mike to sign my SIP copy.  He looked at it, probably hadn't see it in years, and he said "Yeah this was a very good cover". To which I accidentally replied "But only the cover".
He looked at me, continued signing, gave the cd back and left without saying a word.

LMAO. Classic.
Nicko1234
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »

How is the European mix? They spent more time on it? Imagine they played tracks from SIP on the current tour...

The European mix only changed 5 songs I think I`m right in saying. One of the biggest differences I guess is that Al was more involved vocally but Carl didn`t participate as far as I know. The remake of Island Fever features Terry Melcher on co-lead instead of Carl much to its detriment.

Unfortunately the European mix didn`t fix the drum heavy production.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »

I personally think the artwork is horrendous.  In fact, I think it's their worst album artwork. By far.

Back in '99 I asked Mike to sign my SIP copy.  He looked at it, probably hadn't see it in years, and he said "Yeah this was a very good cover". To which I accidentally replied "But only the cover".

LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »

That's hilarious Hypehat! LOL
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »

Accident or not, that took some balls STE!  The mental image is cracking me up.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »

Interestingly enough, this album appears to have been erased from the Beach Boys' canon.  In the tour program, this album is completely omitted. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx