gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 07:02:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 3: New Orleans Jazz Fest- New Orleans, LA 4/27/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 55323 times)
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »

HelDo I really wanna get banned?e Rhonda

An unintended consequence of doing the word censor thing to combat all the "pee emm" requests!  LOL

(THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A PEE EMM REQUEST)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »

HelDo I really wanna get banned?e Rhonda

lolololololool

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »

I'm also starting to think that all this "Brian really, really looks out of it" talk really stems from that this is the first time Brian's been on stage and off to the side and NOT the complete center of attention--a sight we've NEVER seen in the last tours.  All the times we've seen him in the last decade he's been front and center and FORCED to do whatever amount of showmanship he's required (and wants to do).  Today, we see him to the side quietly playing piano and singing a few songs solo...the adrenaline is lower, the energy is much more subdued and he's just not going to be as "up" as we've been used to seeing him.  The work load may be off Brian's shoulders but so is the responsibility to be a little bit more aggressive and in front of the band.  It just looks like to me that Brian is aware that he doesn't have to do much on this tour and he is completely taking advantage of that opportunity.  
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »

I'm also starting to think that all this "Brian really, really looks out of it" talk really stems from that this is the first time Brian's been on stage and off to the side and NOT the complete center of attention--a sight we've NEVER seen in the last tours.  All the times we've seen him in the last decade he's been front and center and FORCED to do whatever amount of showmanship he's required (and wants to do).  Today, we see him to the side quietly playing piano and singing a few songs solo...the adrenaline is lower, the energy is much more subdued and he's just not going to be as "up" as we've been used to seeing him.  The work load may be off Brian's shoulders but so is the responsibility to be a little bit more aggressive and in front of the band.  It just looks like to me that Brian is aware that he doesn't have to do much on this tour and he is completely taking advantage of that opportunity.  

Which, as long as he's happy, is perfectly acceptable for me.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »

To quote AGD: If he sees a chair, he's going to sit in it.

That is, if he sees a way to possibly work less, he's going to do it.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »

I do remember that AGD quote, thanks.  Someone else on the board I recall labeled Brian as flat out "lazy" and I thought of that also as I wrote my post--but didn't want to say it!  When you put it into context, it all fits. 
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »

As many have said before, he's earned the right. Though he could benefit if he lost a little wait.  Grin

Brian does, however, work very hard in the studio. Or so it seems.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2012, 03:10:12 AM »

Stamos introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_WEcSDARN4 (...)

GOK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfRDhA9o8Y&feature=relmfu  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:28:44 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2012, 03:47:38 AM »

And many more clips here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SoCalMusicLover

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2012, 05:04:20 AM »

That clip of Barbara Ann is hilarious:

A) Jeff Foskett forgets one more verse before the guitar solo...throws off part of the band
B)  Mike, Bruce and Al do the line dance during the solo (yes, and Darian seems to enjoy it)
C) Mike's Charleston poses
D) Bass player, either Mikey or Probyn think there's another verse after the solo...you can hear him emphasis the stop..a MINOR scuffle but they move on wihtout missing a beat. 

What I"m noticing now is that both bands kinda get confused regarding arrangements and endings because one group is more familiar with how their group does it compared to the other.  In the Barbara Ann clip, Jeff is used to saving the last verse of the song for after the guitar solo but Mike and Bruce's group like to do all three verses before the guitar solo.  See Jeff do an "Alright!" only to find out that they're off doing one more verse...he rushes back to the mic.  Later as I wrote above, either Mikey or Probyn on bass mistakenly thinks that they're going to do that third verse after the solo (much like Jeff thought earlier) so you hear him stop to prepare for the "Danced with Mary Lou..." but the Mike and Bruce group just outro with "Barbara Ann, Barbara Ann"  so it seems that two groups are still finding their footing on each other's arrangements.  Pretty cool to see it unfold, at least  I think so.

Yeah, that was noticeable. By the way, didn't remember hearing the 3rd verse before the solo ever.
One more thing to note: they play a sax solo and then a guitar solo for Barbara Ann. And the guitar solo is played by David (remember when Carl was alive Jeff played it when he was in the band).

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2012, 05:06:50 AM »

brian sang pretty strongly!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2012, 05:07:36 AM »

i think they need to play deeper cuts to keep brian interested

Ye, more PS and Smile material, they coulda done Darlin' and Wild Honey with Darian on lead, perhaps Let The Wind Blow, do something from Love You like TNWSY, IBHN or Johnny Carson...

Why they dont do Cool Cool Water is beyond me! it was so well done in the 70's
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2012, 05:15:11 AM »

Did you notice Mike sings "papa oom mow mow" at the end of Barbara Ann? How cool is that?! :D

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2012, 05:25:37 AM »

Very cool! :D

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »

Did you notice Mike sings "papa oom mow mow" at the end of Barbara Ann? How cool is that?!

Beautiful ! But Mike should shut up at the end and not trying to double Foskett's falsetto

Did you notice Mike sings "papa oom mow mow" at the end of Barbara Ann? How cool is that?!

He's doing that since '67

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2012, 05:31:17 AM »

He's doing that since '67
Well, I knew he did it back then but haven't heard it in the later live performances.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2012, 05:32:16 AM »

Jesus Christ, the auto-tune. Brian sounds like he's wobbling his fingers over his lips whilst he's singing.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2012, 06:08:47 AM »

Jesus Christ, the auto-tune. Brian sounds like he's wobbling his fingers over his lips whilst he's singing.

Not again!
If he has the autotune, then why the hell is he singing off key on YSGTM or SoS, or TWGMTR?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:56 AM »

I just watched GOK, but he definitely sounds processed.

*blah blah, autotune can force you off key as it doesn't know what note you're actually trying to hit, blah*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2012, 06:28:28 AM »

Don't really catch it on that GOK footage, to be honest. His singing is quite okay and normal-sounding, and anything 'weird' sounding I attributed to the recording quality. But there isn't much of that (to my ears).
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2012, 06:47:28 AM »

I do wonder how Brian's hearing affects him in performance. Even in the best of situations, live monitor mixes aren't usually very clear, and Brian's deaf in one ear. While I certainly don't know, it might partially explain his live performance anxiety or 'deer in the headlights' look sometimes.

Definitely have to give him props getting out there and going for it. The stage volume must be pretty loud with that many performers.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2012, 07:29:04 AM »

Don't Back Down
http://youtu.be/CmkSSV0TDyE

Little Deuce Coupe
http://youtu.be/5trLCkrfqDc

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:34:19 AM by STE » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2012, 08:07:39 AM »

I would think Breakaway would be a logical choice for the set. Brian and Al shared lead, they did it together in '06 and Brian's band has done it since then.

Yes!  Good choice.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2012, 08:13:48 AM »

*blah blah, autotune can force you off key as it doesn't know what note you're actually trying to hit, blah*
Ok, ok, ok, they use Autotune. 4 shows and they ain't listening to us to stop using it. When I'm sitting in my seat at the show, will it ruin my experience? sh*t, and I have tix for two shows and they are not worth going to now, because Brian needs some electronic help when he sings lead. They are doing this to sound the best they can. No one that has attended has been able to hear it inside the venues. Maybe they did this to piss-off bootleggers and their listeners. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.