gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 09:03:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 3: New Orleans Jazz Fest- New Orleans, LA 4/27/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 55723 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »

In my opinion they should drop Sail on Sailor from the setlist. Brian has admitted that he doesn`t like it and especially dislikes the words. This is presumably why he gave it to somebody else to sing during his own shows. Plus he doesn`t tend to sing it well at all. There are plenty of other songs that would suit his current voice more.

Nah, then what would we have to represent the early 70's? Right now, "All This Is That" and "Forever" and that's it. Sail On Sailor WAS a hit and I think they need more to represent the Sunflower/Surf's Up/Holland artsy era. Unless thay want to swap it out with Marcella or California Saga or This Whole World or Surf's Up sometimes then that'd be OK. Doubt they'd do Funky Pretty (darn!).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:20:09 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2012, 09:16:10 AM »

I just watched GOK, but he definitely sounds processed.

*blah blah, autotune can force you off key as it doesn't know what note you're actually trying to hit, blah*

Processed ain't necessarily pitch-corrected. He still sings a number of bum notes that are not thrown by a machine, for God's sake. If the problem is that he sounds robotic, well he does not during the live experience (in fact NO reviewer in the room has commented on it or detected it). If his live vocals, in the room, sound bettef because of X processing I say go for it.

They're performing for a live audience, not for I-phone recordings scrutinized by amateurish, volatile-opinionated, music-making fanboys.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:21:12 AM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »

*blah blah, autotune can force you off key as it doesn't know what note you're actually trying to hit, blah*

Processed ain't necessarily pitch-corrected. He still sings a number of bum notes, for God's sake.

Keep fightin' the good fight, Dr. Lenny.   I've given up.  Since no one that I've heard of who has actually been to a show has noticed any pitch correction, I'm happy.  And that's the whole point, right.  As long as it sounds good to the folks who paid the money to see the shows, then it's a job well done.  As for recordings, the only ones I'm interested in are the ones that get properly mixed and produced for official release.  So, it really doesn't matter to me what people hear or don't hear on these phone recordings.  They are not accurate representations of what it sounds like in the venues.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »

Processed ain't necessarily pitch-corrected. He still sings a number of bum notes, for God's sake.

Keep fightin' the good fight, Dr. Lenny.   I've given up.  Since no one that I've heard of who has actually been to a show has noticed any pitch correction, I'm happy.  And that's the whole point, right.  As long as it sounds good to the folks who paid the money to see the shows, then it's a job well done.  As for recordings, the only ones I'm interested in are the ones that get properly mixed and produced for official release.  So, it really doesn't matter to me what people hear or don't hear on these phone recordings.  They are not accurate representations of what it sounds like in the venues.

Bear in mind that most all official live recording have overdubs and other post-production corrections. So, you will never get an accurate representation of what it sounds like. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:44:36 AM by mcg1119 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »

To that charming volley of abuse from my not exactly serious post (I say 'blah' in it for christs sake), I say 'f*** you'. It's just as well I'm typing it out, as you wouldn't be able to hear it anyway, you deaf old coots.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »

Ooh, very well thought out response.  Deaf?  No, not yet.  Old coot?  I may well be an old coot.  I am certainly heading in that direction.  And so are you and everyone else.     
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »

It sure is nice the nurse was able to type that out for you.

I don't appreciate coming on with absolutely no malice to point something out and being ragged on. I give up.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2012, 02:05:22 PM »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this that I missed, but is this the picture for 'Brian Falls Into A Piano'  LOL

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this that I missed, but is this the picture for 'Brian Falls Into A Piano'  LOL
LOL

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »

Buahahah  Grin

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »

There's no friggin Autotune on GOK. I'm seriously getting angry people are starting to say things that blatantly don't exist. I'm 17. My hearing is friggin spectacular. I work with music production and recording all the time. Guess what? No Autotune there. NONE. Maybe the reason no one is changing anything with the Autotune and the performance is because IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »

Zach, honestly, you've been pissed about the whole Autotune thing for a while.  You're gonna have to dig a little deeper for a bit more will power to avoid these threads/conversations.  You or anyone else shouldn't be pissed for other people having a discussion on a BB board.  If you don't like it---no one is required to participate on the subject.  Move on to something else.  You don't think there's Autotune...great...let the people who do believe have their conversations.  Would you like this talk to all stop just because "Zach said so?"  police
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »

Zach, honestly, you've been pissed about the whole Autotune thing for a while.  You're gonna have to dig a little deeper for a bit more will power to avoid these threads/conversations.  You or anyone else shouldn't be pissed for other people having a discussion on a BB board.  If you don't like it---no one is required to participate on the subject.  Move on to something else.  You don't think there's Autotune...great...let the people who do believe have their conversations.  Would you like this talk to all stop just because "Zach said so?"  police
You did open a separate thread to discuss Autotune. Since bootlegging is illegal and we shouldn't be hearing this stuff, and nobody at the concerts can hear it there, then these threads should strickly be about the shows and performances.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »

"Strickly"?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »

No, but when I hear a spectacular performance of GOK and then we've got a whole big discussion on how "processed" it is when it's REALLY not, then I get upset. You're right, we're all allowed to have an opinion, and I'm voicing mine. I've seen much worse here.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »

In any case, it's remarkable that out of the 10 or so people from this board that attended the shows already, some of them professional musicians Roll Eyes, some with bad reviews, HAVEN'T SAID A THING about Brian sounding funny or robotic in the venue itself. A handful of fans that are reviewing the I-phone recordings people who where there provided them, have determined that Brian's voice is pitch-corrected in an obscene manner in all the shows. This is getting absurd.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »

There's no friggin Autotune on GOK. I'm seriously getting angry people are starting to say things that blatantly don't exist. I'm 17. My hearing is friggin spectacular. I work with music production and recording all the time. Guess what? No Autotune there. NONE. Maybe the reason no one is changing anything with the Autotune and the performance is because IT DOESN'T EXIST.

(chiming in before one of these guys tells this kid he's on the right track)

Zach, you're a music producer and you don't hear the autotune?

Hear me out.. Coming from a slightly older version of you with a 5 year resume ACTUALLY in the game getting placements as a producer/songwriter/engineer (and artist) on major label albums/singles (including the #5 album on Billboard Hip Hop / R&B right now -  lots of pitch correction on that one....), and constantly dealing with vocal editing on legendary, amazing (and not-so-legendary and amazing) singers, I gotta say...

you seriously need to reconsider how spectacular your ears are right now.

Sorry bro but it's the truth. There is live pitch correction on BW's vocals. 100% confirmed.

If you're serious about music, you need to realize that at 17 you're an ASPIRING producer, not established and experienced. You have a lot of time ahead of you. Keep working on those ears, and never think you know it all. I was in your shoes not too long ago. Then I realized I didn't know it all. Not even close. I still don't. But at this point, I damn sure know when heavy pitch correction is being applied on one of my favorite artist's vocals.

I really don't wanna be the guy to be "lecturing" you like this on a public message board, but you and others are continuously disrespecting those of us who are hearing what's going on accurately, and I really wish you all would just take a step back and quit being so angry/disrespectful, even if you choose to disagree for some reason.

PS - This is my last post on the subject for now. I'm not here to rain on anyone's concert experience. I'm as pumped as everyone else for the reunion.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:16:33 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »

(chiming in before one of these guys tells this kid he's on the right track)

Zach, you're a music producer and you don't hear the autotune?

Hear me out.. Coming from a slightly older version of you with a 5 year resume ACTUALLY in the game getting placements as a producer/songwriter/engineer (and artist) on major label albums/singles (including the #5 album on Billboard Hip Hop / R&B right now -  lots of pitch correction on that one....), and constantly dealing with vocal editing on legendary, amazing (and not-so-legendary and amazing) singers, I gotta say...

you seriously need to reconsider how spectacular your ears are right now.

Sorry bro but it's the truth. There is live pitch correction on BW's vocals. 100% confirmed.

If you're serious about music, you need to realize that at 17 you're an ASPIRING producer, not established and experienced. You have a lot of time ahead of you. Keep working on those ears, and never think you know it all. I was in your shoes not too long ago. Then I realized I didn't know it all. Not even close. I still don't. But at this point, I damn sure know when heavy pitch correction is being applied on one of my favorite artist's vocals.

I really don't wanna be the guy to be "lecturing" you like this on a public message board, but you and others are continuously disrespecting those of us who are hearing what's going on accurately, and I really wish you all would just take a step back and quit being so angry/disrespectful, even if you choose to disagree for some reason.

PS - This is my last post on the subject for now. I'm not here to rain on anyone's concert experience. I'm as pumped as everyone else for the reunion.

Never said I knew it all or I had great experience.  Perhaps my original post was in poor taste and I was exaggerating a bit.  I've heard it on other clips, just not on this particular version of GOK.  Guess I'm missing something. Oh, and no need to treat my like a kid.  Had I never said I was that age, no one would consider me young based on my comments.  Plenty of other older board members here who act much more immature.  Never meant to be disrespectful either. But oh well.

Edit: To my dismay, after finally hearing a recording of Heroes and Villains in Atlanta, I hear it. Very clearly. I apologize to anyone I might have disrespected, I suppose I will re-assess GOK  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:05:37 PM by Zach95 » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »

In any case, it's remarkable that out of the 10 or so people from this board that attended the shows already, some of them professional musicians Roll Eyes, some with bad reviews, HAVEN'T SAID A THING about Brian sounding funny or robotic in the venue itself. A handful of fans that are reviewing the I-phone recordings people who where there provided them, have determined that Brian's voice is pitch-corrected in an obscene manner in all the shows. This is getting absurd.

Not true.

Anyway, I guess I'm out of this whole fucking autotune debate as I am not seeing the group anyway (not out of principle) and I guess that renders me unable to say anything remotely critical on the subject. And my posts on the reunion tour have not been exclusively critical by a long shot. But you guys carry on piling on.

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

They should just get Al to do all the leads, as he seems to be the only one who can still sing.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:44:20 PM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »

100% confirmed?  Where is this confirmation?
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »

It hasn't been confirmed.  Someone needs to look up the word 'confirmed' in the dictionary.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:04:34 PM by LostArt » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/the-beach-boys-at-jazz-fest-20120428

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »

BW looks awesome with sunglasses! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »

Looks like Brian has a back brace on under his shirt in the third photo.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx