gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:28:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 197931 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: April 26, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »

Well, I finally heard this, and I don't hear any autotune.  So there. 

Smiley

Brian sounded great on Heroes and Villians, and I was pretty much shocked at how good Mike sounded on some of the songs, like Don't Back Down. 

To THESE ears, this is a lot like hearing a Beach Boys concert from the 70's.  Pretty good stuff.  Wonderful time to be a fan! 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #826 on: April 26, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »

Um...excuse me? Could I perhaps also receive a Postcard in the Mail? Really feel out of the loop here...I let this thread get too big without checking it out the last few days, I was more interested in the album info.
well, look through the thread, there are uploads to youtube and vimeo.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 26, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »

The only wobble I hear is from guys singing and going a tiny bit off pitch combined with the natural boom and delay/echo that comes when recording in a big space from out in the audience.

And of course there is someone ghosting Brian. This is a guy who might simply stop singing at any moment in the middle of a song. It's not to make Brian sound perfect, it's to make him consistent, or to create the illusion of such.
Add to that the fact that two people in the band have told me no auto-tune was used.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: April 26, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »

Maybe they're lying! or maybe it's a different brand of pitch correction!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 26, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »

Brian sounded great on Heroes and Villians,. 

Thought the same thing.  One thing that blew me away was just the strength/power to his voice--nothing to do with the the notes or keeping in tune. 

Everyone's been saying that it's autotuned yet no one's addressed ontor's post on the last page.   At least he's touching here on the actual process and addressing the issue from a technical standpoint.  Everyone else simply has stated that it's autotuned and ignore the logistics of it actually being done.

Still sounds like some kinda flangy phasey harmonizer purposeful effect to me on H&V. If you wanted to live Auto-Tune Brian, some geek with a keyboard would be playing the melody along with him and the pitch correction wouldn't be that noticeable and psychedelic unless you cranked up the setting specifically for that effect. If you wanted to slyly fix his pitch, it sure wouldn't sound like that. Considering he's blowing notes here and there anyway, it doesn't sound like anybody is correcting his pitch on other songs. It's a big pain in the ass and since we're all used to Brian's fine, occasionally frail character-drenched voiced, people would look at the bottom line cost of doing this and go -- nah, f*ck it.

Watch your oo's and aahs. Brian, you're flatting.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 26, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »

This whole thing must be hell for OSD! We've quit arguing about Mike and have aimed the lazers at Foskett and auto-tune Smiley

I think Jeff sounded great on Catch A Wave last night!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 26, 2012, 08:07:43 PM »

Another conspiracy theory. Present the audio file to MythBusters.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 26, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »

They have no reason to lie, in the 6 or so years I have spoken to them they have never lied or mislead me in anyway. It would be a) out of character for them to lie and b) out of character for Brian to need or use any type of auto tune.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:43 PM »

I don't get it. If this is how Brian normally sounds to you folks, God help you. There is obviously just reason to lie about using autotune during a Beach Boys show - it makes Brian look pathetic, it makes the people who run the show look clueless, and it brings down the quality of the show as a whole. Denying it outright even though it's blindingly obvious at least saves a bit of face to some people, I guess.

I'd be interested in hearing what excuse they'd give for Brian and Brian alone sounding like a robot and giving the most off-key performance of his entire life.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 26, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »

Um...excuse me? Could I perhaps also receive a Postcard in the Mail? Really feel out of the loop here...I let this thread get too big without checking it out the last few days, I was more interested in the album info.

I've seen one YouTube video...and it's been taken down.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 26, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »

Here's what I heard, in person.

FWIW, Brian was absolutely DREADFUL at times in the soundcheck. Guess I could only prove it with about a minute of "This Whole World", which I did video. I shot the entire "TWGMTR" & don't recall it being bad, although I don't think I've viewed/heard it more than once since. I remember saying to my wife after they broke that I hoped he was just fooling around or sick of the rehearsals by then (we heard they rehearsed for about five hours the previous night), but I wasn't very confident about the show's potential at that point. (Had I known photos/videos would be impossible for us during the concert, I would have done more with the soundcheck, but we didn't learn that until we re-entered the venue
before the show.)

To my ears, the difference was like night & day when it counted. Brian sounded like... Brian. In other words, not great, but far better than just three hours before. I wouldn't know autotune from looneytunes; what I heard at the time was  satisfactory, maybe because I was fearing much worse. I had no thought that maybe the sound was being enhanced. To be honest, I thought maybe one of his meds had kicked in to help him relax. I was certainly caught up in the excitement, same as everybody else, but my (old) ears weren't offended by what they heard. Maybe they just heard what I wanted to hear at the time, & the audience recordings you've been hearing are the honest ones.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »

I don't get it. If this is how Brian normally sounds to you folks, God help you. There is obviously just reason to lie about using autotune during a Beach Boys show - it makes Brian look pathetic, it makes the people who run the show look clueless, and it brings down the quality of the show as a whole. Denying it outright even though it's blindingly obvious at least saves a bit of face to some people, I guess.

I'd be interested in hearing what excuse they'd give for Brian and Brian alone sounding like a robot and giving the most off-key performance of his entire life.
I think he sounds good.

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 26, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »

They have no reason to lie, in the 6 or so years I have spoken to them they have never lied or mislead me in anyway. It would be a) out of character for them to lie and b) out of character for Brian to need or use any type of auto tune.

They have been known to lie before. Jeff was adamant when BW started touring that he didn't use a teleprompter for lyrics. Also, he claimed Brian was really playing piano in those first shows.

Neither claim was true.

giving the most off-key performance of his entire life.

This is objectively untrue. You may not have liked how he sounded, but he was indeed most often in tune.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #838 on: April 26, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »

I've seen one YouTube video...and it's been taken down.

OKAY, because you're too lazy to go back a few pages in the thread, I did it for you. Here. http://vimeo.com/41099670

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 26, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »

They have been known to lie before. Jeff was adamant when BW started touring that he didn't use a teleprompter for lyrics. Also, he claimed Brian was really playing piano in those first shows.

Neither claim was true.

This is objectively untrue. You may not have liked how he sounded, but he was indeed most often in tune.
Those are all fair and reasonable points! It was not he who told me there was no auto-tune and I can't hear it!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:11:23 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 26, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »

I'll bet he was in tune a fair amount of the time, as he usually is - the autotune filter made it sound like he was giving the most off-key performance of his life.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »

You guys are starting to get ridiculous.  "Most off key in his life" are you fucking serious?  Brian's ALWAYS off key!  Sometimes for entire shows.  Have you heard the Long Beach tape?  You honestly think he was more off key at the show?  What are you smoking?  You're hearing sh*t that's NOT THERE.  He's singing.  His voice sounds strained and weird, you know, like it did from... oh... 1980 on. 

If he's using Autotune, then why the f*** is his voice sharp like it always is? 

It's just getting stupid.  He sounds OFF, like he always does, but yet it's autotuned?  Auto-detuned?  Auto "Lets make him sound like he ALWAYS SOUNDS" ? 

Have you heard ANY of his concerts from the past, oh, 10 years?  He sounds exactly like he sounds at all his concerts!  If you hear a pitch shift or something you imagine you hear in a note, it may be because it's recorded on a piece of sh*t tape recorder 300 YARDS FROM THE STAGE! 

Of all the stupid fucking things to argue about, lets all argue about something that's IN YOUR HEAD. 

I thought Brian was the one who hears voices. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 26, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »

You guys are starting to get ridiculous.  "Most off key in his life" are you f*cking serious?  Brian's ALWAYS off key!  Sometimes for entire shows.  Have you heard the Long Beach tape?  You honestly think he was more off key at the show?  What are you smoking?  You're hearing sh*t that's NOT THERE.  He's singing.  His voice sounds strained and weird, you know, like it did from... oh... 1980 on. 

If he's using Autotune, then why the f*ck is his voice sharp like it always is? 

It's just getting stupid.  He sounds OFF, like he always does, but yet it's autotuned?  Auto-detuned?  Auto "Lets make him sound like he ALWAYS SOUNDS" ? 

Have you heard ANY of his concerts from the past, oh, 10 years?  He sounds exactly like he sounds at all his concerts!  If you hear a pitch shift or something you imagine you hear in a note, it may be because it's recorded on a piece of sh*t tape recorder 300 YARDS FROM THE STAGE! 

Of all the stupid f*cking things to argue about, lets all argue about something that's IN YOUR HEAD. 

I thought Brian was the one who hears voices. 

Are you angry, Ron.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »

No, I'm just busy trying to figure out how to put you on Ignore so I don't have to read your stupidity anymore. 

"Hi guys, I bought a puppy!"

Runnerzdialzero = "Puppies sh*t"

"Hi guys, I won the lottery today!"

Runnerzdialzero = "You're a gambling addict"

If you want to keep trashing everything you imagine you hear, go do it somewhere else.  I refuse to listen to you ivent sh*t to get pissed about anymore. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 26, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »

Calm down, Ron.

Also, a gambling addict winning the lottery could be a bad thing - the chances of them blowing all that money on gambling rather than investing it in something wise would be pretty high. I wouldn't want a friend to waste all their money on gambling.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 26, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »

If anybody replies besides this clown, p.m. me, I refuse to read any of his negative drivel anymore.  Also if anybody knows how to ignore people (I.e., you've put me on ignore, lol) where it doesn't even show up anymore, please send me a p.m. 

Inventing something.  Then bitching about it.  A new level of stupidity. 
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 26, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »

Calm down, Ron.

Also, a gambling addict winning the lottery could be a bad thing - the chances of them blowing all that money on gambling rather than investing it in something wise would be pretty high. I wouldn't want a friend to waste all their money on gambling.
Please don't pretend you have any........ Azn

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 26, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »

Because I'm the only one who clearly hears autotune on this.

No need to get so worked up :\ I was done with it ages ago until a couple folks started calling people who heard it "hysterical" etc. and I felt the need to defend why I was sure I heard it. Again, I'm far from the only one - no one is "inventing" anything.

Relax.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »

I have plenty of friends, FYI, but unfortunately, most of them are gambling addicts.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 26, 2012, 09:48:33 PM »

I have plenty of friends, FYI, but unfortunately, most of them are gambling addicts.
I don't have a gambling problem. I have winning problem.

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx