gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:53:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055841 times)
Paulos
« Reply #2525 on: May 15, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »

The samples sound pretty good but just leave me wanting more, only 20 days to go! Regarding the autotune, if it's done tastefully then I don't mind and it's kinda hard to tell from the samples on amazon just how prevalent it is. The thing is that, as other posters have pointed out, Brian has been using tricks on vocals for nearly 50 years e.g. double tracking on virtually everything from Surfin' U.S.A. onwards and speeding the tape up to make the vocals sound younger on Surfin' and Caroline, No. Let's also not forget that the main vocalists of the band are all 69+ and may need a little polish in the studio to smooth off the rough edges.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2526 on: May 15, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »

But man, saying you don't appreciate reading someone else's opinions, calling them ungrateful and telling him not to share them is not respectful in any manner. I do not understand why folks think because they may not use profanity, that their passive-aggressive insults are any less offensive.

i'm not being passive aggressive at all.  I said he was being ungrateful, nothing passive aggressive about that.  Also nothing passive aggressive about not wanting to hear pouting.  I'm being straight forward about this without having to call someone names.  He's free to post whatever he likes, my initial response to him wasn't some long rant, i let it go.  I personally think name-calling is really low, so I try not to do that because I don't know any of you guys.  

There is no difference in offense between calling someone a "name" and telling them their opinion is unwelcome. The type of person who would not agree is someone who wants to be able to say anything they want to others, and not get called on it. That is an Internet phenomenon. Language matters less than intention.

That's fine if that's what you think

In fact, my point was proved by the effect upon IHA of what you said. HE gets to decide the impact of your words, not you. You just want to say otherwise because you want people to like you. I don't, therefore I'm truthful about what I say.

hey, can you guys all take your fight outside?

Yes, please.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »

But man, saying you don't appreciate reading someone else's opinions, calling them ungrateful and telling him not to share them is not respectful in any manner. I do not understand why folks think because they may not use profanity, that their passive-aggressive insults are any less offensive.

i'm not being passive aggressive at all.  I said he was being ungrateful, nothing passive aggressive about that.  Also nothing passive aggressive about not wanting to hear pouting.  I'm being straight forward about this without having to call someone names.  He's free to post whatever he likes, my initial response to him wasn't some long rant, i let it go.  I personally think name-calling is really low, so I try not to do that because I don't know any of you guys. 

There is no difference in offense between calling someone a "name" and telling them their opinion is unwelcome. The type of person who would not agree is someone who wants to be able to say anything they want to others, and not get called on it. That is an Internet phenomenon. Language matters less than intention.

In fact, my point was proved by the effect upon IHA of what you said. HE gets to decide the impact of your words, not you. You just want to say otherwise because you want people to like you. I don't, therefore I'm truthful about what I say.

I'm not fighting, mate. Thanks.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2528 on: May 15, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »

I wonder why they didn't take Adrian Baker's vocals off "Daybreak over the ocean" and record new ones. Or did they do that only letting Baker's voice stay in ?

I said the same thing in the Amazon clip thread.  So far my only real complaint on the album.  Like that C. Love is on there, but that would have been a great place to also add M. Jardine.   Adrian Baker  is just going to stick out like a really sore and infected thumb on this thing  

Hadn't seen it. Sorry.
I agree though about Baker. But as of yet we don't know how much he will be recognizable. On the amazon-clip you can hear him but not (yet) sticking out.
A Matt Jardine appearance would be nice. But I won't complain. I just wondered about Baker's vocal track(s) being used. His voice is very, very annoying and doesn't fit in very well with the Beach Boys' blend imo. Never has.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: May 15, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »

I think its worth noting that there may be less Joe Thomas involvement in the songwriting than it looks like, since Joe Thomas seems to be mainly a lyrics writer, I would imagine that the songs with a Thomas, Wilson, and Love credit were first written with Joe Thomas lyrics, then stripped down to just tracks and got new lyrics from Mike Love.  In that kind of situation the old writing credits would generally all stay, but the song would still be substantially brian music and mike words.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: May 15, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

I wonder why they didn't take Adrian Baker's vocals off "Daybreak over the ocean" and record new ones. Or did they do that only letting Baker's voice stay in ?

I said the same thing in the Amazon clip thread.  So far my only real complaint on the album.  Like that C. Love is on there, but that would have been a great place to also add M. Jardine.   Adrian Baker  is just going to stick out like a really sore and infected thumb on this thing  

Hadn't seen it. Sorry.
I agree though about Baker. But as of yet we don't know how much he will be recognizable. On the amazon-clip you can hear him but not (yet) sticking out.
A Matt Jardine appearance would be nice. But I won't complain. I just wondered about Baker's vocal track(s) being used. His voice is very, very annoying and doesn't fit in very well with the Beach Boys' blend imo. Never has.

Oh I wasn't saying you should have seen it.  Just agreeing with you.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: May 15, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »

i'm not being passive aggressive at all.  I said he was being ungrateful, nothing passive aggressive about that.  Also nothing passive aggressive about not wanting to hear pouting.  I'm being straight forward about this without having to call someone names.  He's free to post whatever he likes, my initial response to him wasn't some long rant, i let it go.  I personally think name-calling is really low, so I try not to do that because I don't know any of you guys.  

Semantics, mate
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:04:09 PM by southbay » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: May 15, 2012, 12:03:59 PM »

I know you have all been waiting. Here is my verdict:

1. Think About The Days - 9/10 (could have been written by Benny Andersson)
2. That's Why God Made The Radio - 5/10 (too pedestrian)
3. Isn't It Time - 4/10 (bland)
4. Spring Vacation - 6/10 (great verses, lousy chorus)
5. The Private Life Of Bill And Sue - 8/10 (I am a sucker for this song)
6. Shelter - 7/10 (shows some promise, the chorus is similar to Darlin')
7. Daybreak Over The Ocean - 8/10 (I liked this one on the Mike Love, Not War album)
8. Beaches In Mind - 3/10 (I've got 3/10 in mind)
9. Strange World - 3/10 (Not my cup of milk)
10. From There To Back Again - 6/10 (introspective looking back type of lyrics)
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 7/10 (introspective looking back type of lyrics again)
12. Summer's Gone - 8/10 (introspective looking back type of lyrics again again)
What do you know that the rest of us don't? Are you rating based on the clips at Amazon?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »

i'm not being passive aggressive at all.  I said he was being ungrateful, nothing passive aggressive about that.  Also nothing passive aggressive about not wanting to hear pouting.  I'm being straight forward about this without having to call someone names.  He's free to post whatever he likes, my initial response to him wasn't some long rant, i let it go.  I personally think name-calling is really low, so I try not to do that because I don't know any of you guys. 

Can you take whatever you want to call this that is distracting from the actual thread outside?

Did you read the part of the conversation that involved Iron Horse-Apples and Runaways? Address that. That was the fight.
I provided a place to find out some of the cool info discussed on this thread. Don't tell me to take anything anywhere. I've been on point in this thread since I joined in.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: May 15, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »

7. Daybreak Over The Ocean - 8/10 (I liked this one on the Mike Love, Not War album)
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 7/10 (introspective looking back type of lyrics again)
12. Summer's Gone - 8/10 (introspective looking back type of lyrics again again)
What do you know that the rest of us don't? Are you rating based on the clips at Amazon?
Yes. Plus I've heard the full version of Think About the Days God Made Spring Vacation.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:08:12 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: May 15, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

Can you take whatever you want to call this that is distracting from the actual thread outside?

Did you read the part of the conversation that involved Iron Horse-Apples and Runaways? Address that. That was the fight.
I provided a place to find out some of the cool info discussed on this thread. Don't tell me to take anything anywhere. I've been on point in this thread since I joined in.

Hey, Billy, a little help over here?

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: May 15, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »

Yes. Plus I've heard the full version of Think About the Days God Made Spring Vacation.

is that an extended remix?  Grin
Paulos
« Reply #2537 on: May 15, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »

Oh. Thought you'd heard the whole thing, seems a little strange to give ratings to songs you haven't properly heard yet.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: May 15, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »

Oh. Thought you'd heard the whole thing, seems a little strange to give ratings to songs you haven't properly heard yet.
You can rate what you've heard.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:12:41 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: May 15, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »

Billy's a great guy. I'm sure he can see where the problem was.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »

is that an extended remix?  Grin
Yes, it is remixed by John Stamos, Murry Wilson, Eugene Landy and Melinda Wilson.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: May 15, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »

I may be in the minority, but i think i'd take Surf's Up over wild honey  Grin

that said, Brian + beach boys makes everything better. 

Y'know, that's a really interesting comparison, because in a sense Wild Honey and Surf's Up are like an alpha/omega of the post-Pet Sounds work.  Hey, were those albums even done by the same band?   LOL

Just shows how awesome The Boys were AFTER Pet Sounds.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: May 15, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »

Billy's a great guy. I'm sure he can see where the problem was.

This thread is for discussing the album, that's all I'm Im asking.  Lets discuss the album , not the language or intentions of other posters.  Do that in pm's.  And yes, I appreciated your posts directing us to the record room. Great stuff over there.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »

And yes, I appreciated your posts directing us to the record room. Great stuff over there.

Cool. Thank you.

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: May 15, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »

Why is it every time I take a day or week off from reading this board that something BIG happens? And what is it with all of you folks who read and post here every blooming day? How in the name of God do you do it? How do you have time to, you know, live your lives and stuff? I will never understand.

Anyway, rant over. I just now listened to these clips and wanted to respond before becoming infected by the backlash and negativity that is inevitably contained in the pages I haven’t read yet (I’m on page 87).

BEAUTIFUL stuff.

Think About The Days: I am shocked, actually, I never expected anything this sensitive, delicate and toned just right. If you think about it, 1985 was the last time that ALL surviving members of the group came together and offered up an original artistic statement of some kind. That’s 26 years ago. This intro to me feels perfectly pitched to open things up after such a long gap. It may not be as compositionally eloquent as “Our Prayer” perhaps (but then, what is?), but I imagine it’s just as effective in its context.

Spring Vacation: LOVE it. It feels like a commercial, with leprechauns splashing around or something, far removed from whatever it advertises, just the echo of a form of something real, but in its wake comes rejuvenation. A real result. Like an “ahhh” after a drink of water. I have no problems with the lyrics. Since their first album on, the Beach Boys have been a billboard for a land that’s “merely” a theme park. The latter-day sum-sum-summer clichés are just a natural extension of that for me, and they work, in the context of these Men/Boys valiantly struggling to reconcile the real with the ideal. Some of my brightest days have been spent at theme parks after all. I love Brian’s swoopy “hallelujah” – some brilliant, goofy phrasing there. I do have to say, though, I HATE the guitar solo. That kind of guitar wankery – that and cheesy sax – those are two things I cannot stomach. But I can forgive. I embrace the positivity. I feel the Love.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:31:01 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2545 on: May 15, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »

What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: May 15, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »

I just listened to the amazon clips a couple times and was trying to figure out why the production sounds the way it does at first I didn't like the way they are sounding and then it hit me,it seems (IMO) that they are going for an up to date "alternative" college age sound,Aka:Bare naked ladies,High LLamas,Xtc  etc.. which is a good thing that they are aiming it at people who are in their 20's because that's the age group that will carry on their legacy ,especially in the art world...Smart move on their part...I can picture a lot of these songs being played at the local college radio station,it just has that sound that college aged studets like..alternative/modern/artsy but at the same time we know it's the beach boys...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: May 15, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »

"The Private Life of Bill and Sue" really does it for me for some reason. Judging from that short snippet, the lyrics seem to be incredibly bland and the overall sound is akin to "South American", one of the most un-Brian songs ever released on a BW album. Still, I'm really looking forward to this. Very catchy! (...and at least they don't sing "From California to Kokomo"...)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: May 15, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »

"Spring Vacation" seems to borrow a bit of Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".

Ex-CUSE me ? It resembles "TD", even passingly, about as much as "The Star Spangled Banner" sounds like "4.33".
Good one.
Seconded, that was a hilarious response Andrew. Incidentally I think "The Star Spangled Banner" nicks much more from John Lennon's "Two Minutes Silence" than it ever did from "4:33."

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: May 15, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »

I have a question for Sir AGD,

I know you've been championing from there and back again, does al sound as robotic on the album? or is it just the amazon.com quality.  That has me scratching my head a bit
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx