gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:51:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055870 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »

Oh well, each to their own. I'm genuinely happy you like it Smiley You don't need to feel threatened because I don't.

threatened definitely isn't the word lol, i'll leave it alone though.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2476 on: May 15, 2012, 08:06:28 AM »

Oh well, each to their own. I'm genuinely happy you like it Smiley You don't need to feel threatened because I don't.

No, but we do need to read about it over and over right?

How long after the sound clips were posted did the first complaints come in?

I feel so strange to be enjoying this while surrounded by Beach Boys hate.

Oh f*ck off.

Where was there any hate in my posts? I expressed sadness, that for reasons of personal taste I won't enjoy it. I said they've given me so much already. I said I'm happy that others like it.

You're the one with the problem pal. Go and have a group wank with the other self satisfied, smarmy war mongers on this board. I've had it.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »

Lots of these sound really cool - Isn't It Time, Summer's Gone, Pacific Coast Highway, Shelter, and Strange World sounds aight....

The Private Life Of Bill & Sue.... bah. Everything about that sounded cool - lyrics about tabloid culture, weird Brian-esque title. Not this tropical assery. The California pop sound was not built on tropical cliches, you fools!

Daybreak.... hmph. I guess Mike insisted on one of his songs?

Maybe what they meant when they said 'It sounds like Pet Sounds!' is 'Brian takes most of the leads'?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 15, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »

good lord Iron-Horse, calm down.  I don't see anything in that guys post directed at your personally.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 15, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »

Obviously we hate The Beach Boys, we post here!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: May 15, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »

Well, having heard only TWGMTR and SV i can safely say that I am pumped for this album! June 5th can't come soon enough.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »

Obviously we hate The Beach Boys, we post here!

yah hate was the wrong word, pouting though! that would do it  Grin
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »

Sounds really solid all around to me (with the first 2 tracks being great and reportedly the last 3 being great as well).  Could be their best album since Surf's Up.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 15, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »

Any news on a UK vinyl version - Amazon doesn't have it  Sad

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »

wow, sounds like a quality album with some tremendous Brian vocals

"Isn't it time" stood out the most

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 15, 2012, 08:53:59 AM »

These clips sound promising. Sounds like they're really having fun.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 15, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »

The use of autotune is going to sound worse on low quality clips like Amazon has (I was surprised how much more natural TWGMTR sounded on YouTube when I chose the highest quality setting). All the same, I think it's best to compare these recordings to what is currently accepted out there in Top 40 land instead of comparing them to the sound of past Beach Boys/Brian Wilson recordings. Compared to the overkill use of autotune on many, many recordings today, these tracks display a lighter touch.

I like what I'm hearing for the most part and am surprised by how melancholy this album seems to be. I smiled when hearing the line "It's a strange world after all" given that Brian just did an album of Disney covers!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 15, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »

I expressed sadness, that for reasons of personal taste I won't enjoy it. I said they've given me so much already. I said I'm happy that others like it.

Iron Horse, perhaps this is the kind of album that will grow on you over time?  The single That's Why God has grown on me a LOT to where I now think it's incredible in every way!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »

ARGHHH!

Hey, I know all these albums are just sitting in a warehouse somewhere.  What's say we rustle up a posse and go raid the warehouse?  WHO'S WITH ME ON THIS?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 15, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »

Well, they're following in the same tradition of having song titles that could easily be confused with another:  "Isn't It Time" vs "It's About Time" , "All I Want To Do" vs "All I Wanna Do"...
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: May 15, 2012, 10:06:28 AM »

All the same, I think it's best to compare these recordings to what is currently accepted out there in Top 40 land instead of comparing them to the sound of past Beach Boys/Brian Wilson recordings. Compared to the overkill use of autotune on many, many recordings today, these tracks display a lighter touch.

Maybe the autotune usage is just an attempt to stay current with the contemporary market.  One rarely would have heard a non-reverbed pop hit from L.A. in 1965 (think how Capitol slathered reverb on "I Feel Fine" and other Beatles songs, for instance).  Likewise, maybe for any album seeking Top 40 status in 2012, autotune is just assumed to be an effect intentionally used to make it fit in with everything else on the radio.  That is not a comment on whether it's good or bad, as I'd prefer it's use to be limited.

I like what I'm hearing for the most part and am surprised by how melancholy this album seems to be. I smiled when hearing the line "It's a strange world after all" given that Brian just did an album of Disney covers!

Same reaction here!
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 15, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »

The two that stuck out for me were Beaches in Mind and Strange World. It's a strange world indeed that we basically have the first Brian Wilson led Beach Boys album since 1977. Actually, not strange, but AWESOME!!!!!!! The quality of the clips is very low - I have no doubt that this will be a very good to great album. I'm very surprised at the lack of Mike Love co-writes, and I guess I'm kinda disappointed that there's not a single Wilson-Love credit that doesn't also have Joe Thomas. But that's a minor complaint. I think the fact that we have a Brian Wilson Beach Boys record is way more than we could have ever hoped and expected especially considering how long it's been since they were last a real band (1996 for stars and stripes IIRC). To be honest, I love Brian Wilson but I'm not a Brianista. I kind of resented his solo career, particularly the 2004 smile. But if that's what it took to get this album and tour, both of which are a very tasteful, elegant, and incredibly joyful capstone to their career, then it's ok with me. Plus, I really have developed an incredible amount of respect and admiration for Brian's band (now the Beach Boys' band?) after seeing them in concert this past weekend (as well as scott totten and john cowsill). They really are incredible musicians and vocalists and are obviously huge beach boys fans themselves.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 15, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »

Only the two last clips sounds promising ..
the rest seems like a bunch of Kokomo-like with full of Autotune (for most of the part)

Isn't it sad ? it's their first album in i don't know how many years, celebrating 50 years of career, 50 years of a band that is well known for harmonies and vocals performance, and that special album ends up being an extreme use of Autotune.. such a shame
i just wished That Lucky Old Sun was recorded with The Beach Boys and that it was the last album (well if God Made The Radio is the last one..
if not, then let's hope they come up with something more solid and natural)

Oh well, these were just clips yet it shows a lot of the production and the songs atmosphere..
maybe i'll dig them after listening to the album, i'm sure i'll be likin' the two last or three songs (poor Al, massive Autotune on his great voice),
but the rest sounds like guilty pleasures at best.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:19:07 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 15, 2012, 10:16:01 AM »

the songwriting sounds amazingly strong. Its nothing like summer in paradise and honestly sounds much better than most of the BW solo albums (and I love those). I am excited! My only complaint is having to wait.... Roll Eyes
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »

Shelter has a very catchy chorus tho (thanks Jeff).
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »

The two that stuck out for me were Beaches in Mind and Strange World. It's a strange world indeed that we basically have the first Brian Wilson led Beach Boys album since 1977. Actually, not strange, but AWESOME!!!!!!! The quality of the clips is very low - I have no doubt that this will be a very good to great album. I'm very surprised at the lack of Mike Love co-writes, and I guess I'm kinda disappointed that there's not a single Wilson-Love credit that doesn't also have Joe Thomas. But that's a minor complaint. I think the fact that we have a Brian Wilson Beach Boys record is way more than we could have ever hoped and expected especially considering how long it's been since they were last a real band (1996 for stars and stripes IIRC). To be honest, I love Brian Wilson but I'm not a Brianista. I kind of resented his solo career, particularly the 2004 smile. But if that's what it took to get this album and tour, both of which are a very tasteful, elegant, and incredibly joyful capstone to their career, then it's ok with me. Plus, I really have developed an incredible amount of respect and admiration for Brian's band (now the Beach Boys' band?) after seeing them in concert this past weekend (as well as scott totten and john cowsill). They really are incredible musicians and vocalists and are obviously huge beach boys fans themselves.

Tim, you are as eloquent as you are right, sir. I agree completely.

byw: the QVC listing for the album is up, but it ships on June 5, so ordering from QVC will not get us the album sooner than Amazon.  I still do not see the special offer part of the qvc listing; perhaps tomorrow when they are on TY they will indicate what makes this package special;  I teach tomorrow, so I hope someone will be recording and posting the BB appearance/performance.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 15, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »

actually if it ships on june 5 then that's slower than amazon.com.  I'm sure amazon has the option for day of delivery. might as well just go to best buy though.  No shipping and albums are only 9.99 week of release there.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 15, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »

Did anyone notice the lyrics on Shelter? The verse sounds like a tribute to Busy Doin' Nothing!

... Staying at home
Summertime (?)
Make a few calls
Make a little love
Thank god for shelter
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:43:24 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 15, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »

actually if it ships on june 5 then that's slower than amazon.com.  I'm sure amazon has the option for day of delivery. might as well just go to best buy though.  No shipping and albums are only 9.99 week of release there.

Special offer is a fairly predictable Greatest Hits comp:

The Beach Boys That's Why God Made the Radio CD & Bonus CD

That's Why God Made The Radio

"Think About the Days"
"That's Why God Made the Radio"
"Isn't It Time"
"Spring Vacation"
"Private Life of Bill And Sue"
"Shelter"
"Daybreak Over the Ocean"
"Beaches in Mind"
"Strange World"
"From There to Back Again"
"Pacific Coast Highway"
"Summer's Gone"

50 Years Of Hits (Bonus CD)

"Catch a Wave"
"Surfin' Safari"
"409"
"God Only Knows"
"California Girls"
"Heroes and Villains"
"Surfer Girl"
"Wouldn't It Be Nice"
"Little Honda"
"Dance, Dance, Dance"
"Do It Again"
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 15, 2012, 10:32:40 AM »

Did anyone notice the lyrics on Shelter? The verse sounds like a tribute to Busy Doin' Nothing!

... Staying at home
Summertime (?)
Make a few calls
Make a little love
Thank god for shelter

I'll give you shelter from the storm
And a house to keep to you warm
I'll give you shelter through the night
And a chance to make things right
Ya... maybe..... nice observation.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 ... 166 Go Up Print