gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681334 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 02:56:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1072075 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »

well if they have ALL those songs to pick through why not do a "white album" or "All things must pass" type cd equal to a double album or something like that.now THAT wold be cool..
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1326 on: April 20, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »

So it seems that Al doesn't know much about the song's original history and/or origins.
Or he's putting it like that for promotional reasons. Who knows. Maybe Brian came up with a serious make-over for the tune.

Perhaps so.  Would be great to know that all the stories we heard about this song involved a very early draft and Brian had completely rewrote it since then.
That's Why God Made The Radio (Thomas, Peterik, Wilson, Corleone, Montana) is the songwriting credit I am expecting. I'm sure Brian added something to it, if not in actual songwriting, then in production.

It's nice to get further confirmation of Brian producing. It seems like every interview, we get mixed signals; Brian is producing but there are some "Island-type" songs on there, etc. Still, this has potential to be the best Beach Boys album since 1978. I only hope we don't get "Easter Bunny's Hopping to Kokomo."

As for "Waves of Love..." featuring it on both Al's album and the reunion album doesn't make much sense at all. We have all already heard it, and I for one would rather hear something else on the reunion album. "Waves of Love" is cool and it's nice to hear Carl's voice again, but it is also derivative ("Bye, Bye Love" and "You're My Best Friend") and not really what I would consider to be "A" material.

- B00ts
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 20, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »

Still, this has potential to be the best Beach Boys album since 1978.

That seems like an easy feat!  Cool

As for "Waves of Love..." featuring it on both Al's album and the reunion album doesn't make much sense at all. We have all already heard it, and I for one would rather hear something else on the reunion album. "Waves of Love" is cool and it's nice to hear Carl's voice again, but it is also derivative ("Bye, Bye Love" and "You're My Best Friend") and not really what I would consider to be "A" material.

I agree although Al is constantly making it sound like the Beach Boys version will be different enough.  Even so, I wouldn't want this song to be in place of another song they just wrote and recorded recently.  It should simply be a bonus cut along with DIA (if they do in fact decide to tag it onto the album).
SBonilla
« Reply #1328 on: April 20, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »

well if they have ALL those songs to pick through why not do a "white album" or "All things must pass" type cd equal to a double album or something like that.now THAT wold be cool..
Cool for some, but how commercially viable would that be?
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 20, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »

“We’re still doing song selection right now,” Jardine said. “There’s a lot to choose from. It feels like Pet Sounds to me. It has that deep, thoughtful kind of relationship-based theme.

YES!! 

"....There are a couple of cute little islandy songs on there, too.”

NO!! 

“We’re putting a Beach Boys stamp on ‘Waves of Love’ for this new Beach Boys album or, if not this album, the follow-up album. It’s a really cool song. It reminds of ‘Do It Again.’ ”

I always love how Al just very subtly slips in possible future plans. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 20, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »

NO!! 
Could mean stuff like "Little Pad"...  3D I'm game.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »

I would focus on releasing a quality, good album (something they haven't done in a *LONG* time).  The rest of the material will come out eventually.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1332 on: April 20, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »

I think some are putting WAY too much stock into how band members (or anybody else for that matter) characterize these songs. I think it’s pointless to call something “like Pet Sounds” or anything along those lines. What does that mean. Lush harmonies like PS? Dense backing tracks? Just the fact that there are some melancholy songs? A song may sound like PS or like an “cute island song” to one person, and sound like something else to another.

I’ve read people use one song to describe another where I completely disagree. This goes for casual fans and the band members, and everybody in between.

I don’t think we’re going to get either extreme with this album. We’re not going to get “Pet Sounds 2” or “Summer in Paradise 2.”

We’ve heard too many descriptors for this album already. It sounds like “80’s Beach Boys” and “Pet Sounds” at the same time apparently. That along should give us pause about investing much in reports about this album, at least thus far. When someone actually gets to hear the whole album and can do a track by track rundown, I’ll put some additional stock in that. Even then, I’ve read detailed reports of albums that, when I listen to the album myself, make no sense. Music is way too hard to describe in these cases. Especially for non-musicians, they are left with generic characterizations (ballad, up-tempo, etc.) or direct comparisons to something else.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 20, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

I think theres like a .001% chance the band wrote enough worthy songs for a double album
SBonilla
« Reply #1334 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »

“We’re putting a Beach Boys stamp on ‘Waves of Love’ for this new Beach Boys album or, if not this album, the follow-up album. It’s a really cool song. It reminds of ‘Do It Again.’ ”

Why, isn't he just about the most loveable loose cannon you've ever seen? Bless his little heart.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »

I think theres like a .001% chance the band wrote enough worthy songs for a double album

That's the key word there.  I'd rather have a solid 12 track album than an uneven, filler-filled 24 track double album.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 20, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »

That's the key word there.  I'd rather have a solid 12 track album than an uneven, filler-filled 24 track double album.
After all, if there aren't a half-dozen unreleased tracks out there, what will everyone claim were better than the ones that eventually made the album?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 20, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

This photo however, yuck. Nice hair, Al? And what is up with Bruce's scrunchface smile? It seems to get worse as the years go by. Its super annoying, and it always bothers me when I see photos with him looking like that, cuz it makes him look older, and the group look cheesier, in my opinion.

Man you can't criticise somebody for smiling.  Really?  REALLY?  lol
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 20, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

This photo however, yuck. Nice hair, Al? And what is up with Bruce's scrunchface smile? It seems to get worse as the years go by. Its super annoying, and it always bothers me when I see photos with him looking like that, cuz it makes him look older, and the group look cheesier, in my opinion.
The BBs at low tide.... They look like parodies of themselves with the worst clothes the 1990s could offer.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 20, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »

LOVING the Mullets.  How in the hell two different Bald Men had mullets, I'll never know.  It kind of looks like a lost episode of "Tales from the Crypt". 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1340 on: April 20, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »

That's what I call a 'skullet' ^_^

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 20, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »

Man you can't criticise somebody for smiling.  Really?  REALLY?  lol

y'know its kinda fair to say overall Mike Love comes out the best in the pic, need i say more..
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: April 20, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »

Why, isn't he just about the most loveable loose cannon you've ever seen? Bless his little heart.

Keep it clean with Al Jardine!  Love

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 20, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »

What you're most likely going to have to decide, tho: are you happy with an uneven filler-filled 12 track album.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: April 20, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »

NO!! 
Could mean stuff like "Little Pad"...  3D I'm game.

this is what i thought of.  granted, i don't own SIP or KTSA so my thoughts on "islandy songs" are skewed to little pad. 
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1345 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

The original “Do It Again,” a 1968 hit for the Beach Boys, has been re-recorded for the group’s upcoming reunion album.

“Wait till you hear this version,” Jardine said. “It’s is so much better, with full-on production and really great vocals. That’s gonna surprise people, because we never finished the production on that earlier one. But the new one has good saxophones on it, baritone and tenor. You won’t believe it.”

Wow, can't wait to hear the new version. Must be completely different to the (unfinished) 1968 version or what Brian released on his live releases. Grin

No, what I wanted to say is: This statement says it all for me.

The credits on TWGMTR will be interesting. I hope it doesn't make me lose my believe in prior Brian Wilson-credits.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: April 20, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »

Aye, agreed.

First off, I hope all the writing credits accurately reflect the contributions made by each named; I know they don't usually apportion but if someone's changed one word in a song, it shouldn't really merit a credit.

Second, I hope Mike Love's credit is deliberately left off a few songs... all this getting-along-fine business is disconcerting and we need a few lawsuits to restore the natural order.

“We live in divisive times.”
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1347 on: April 21, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »

this is what i thought of.  granted, i don't own SIP or KTSA so my thoughts on "islandy songs" are skewed to little pad. 

Of course, there are no "islandy songs" on KTSA.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 21, 2012, 02:33:51 AM »

Of course, there are no "islandy songs" on KTSA.

No No No , you all have it wrong ! take out the first 2 letters I and S and then you have

LANDY SONGS   LOL     all containing great lyrics that i am sure will be rejected by Capitol
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 21, 2012, 04:04:39 AM »

Second, I hope Mike Love's credit is deliberately left off a few songs... all this getting-along-fine business is disconcerting and we need a few lawsuits to restore the natural order.

I mean, we haven't had one in a few years! I'm starting to get worried about Mike's mental health....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx