gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681321 Posts in 27634 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 10:22:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1071904 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: April 16, 2012, 08:20:21 AM »

Cheers!
PhilCohen
« Reply #1201 on: April 17, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »

There is no doubt, that excepting an occasional hit with a non-original composition("Rock n'Roll Music", "Cottonfields", "Kokomo") that the Beach Boys' career has been(mostly) based on original songs. It doesn't bode well that the song which will be the promoted track from "New Release 2012" will be a cover version of a non-Beach Boys composition.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 17, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »

There is no doubt, that excepting an occasional hit with a non-original composition("Rock n'Roll Music", "Cottonfields", "Kokomo") that the Beach Boys' career has been(mostly) based on original songs. It doesn't bode well that the song which will be the promoted track from "New Release 2012" will be a cover version of a non-Beach Boys composition.
Is it a cover? From what I've read it was written for the Beach Boys, much like Andy Paley writing Soul Searchin' for the Beach Boys, and specifically Carl, to sing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SBonilla
« Reply #1203 on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »

It doesn't bode well that the song which will be the promoted track from "New Release 2012" will be a cover version of a non-Beach Boys composition.
Bode schmode.  It's the new Beach Boys single.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1204 on: April 17, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »

Is it a cover? From what I've read it was written for the Beach Boys, much like Andy Paley writing Soul Searchin' for the Beach Boys, and specifically Carl, to sing.

Yep, I wouldn't even call it a "cover", at least based on the way I would use the word in this context. The song has never been released before, so it's not a cover of a previously-issued recording.

We also don't even know for sure that no BB names will appear on the new single. Maybe Brian added some music or lyrics to it and has a co-writer credit. We don't know for sure.

I like it when artists write their own stuff. But I also don't think we need to be so limiting as to not allow collaboration or acceptance of a song that was written just for you. "Kokomo" isn't a cover either, as Love at least helped with that one a bit. Yes, it appears that was another one that other writers had worked on before it was used by the BB's. But at the end of the day, it's about the strength of the song. If the BB's perform the song well and it's a good song, I don't care if the Survivor guy co-wrote it. That he apparently targeted it as a potential BB song may make it even more enjoyable.

I hope we find out soon!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:52:27 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 17, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »

For Phil:  

Even if it was a cover, I guess these Beach Boys covers (singles) didn't bode well on the Billboard Hot 100:

Do You Wanna Dance  #12
Then I Kissed Her #4 (UK)
Sloop John B  #3  
Barbara Ann  #2
Rock & Roll Music  #5
Come Go With Me  #18
I Can Hear Music  #24 (#10 UK)
Bluebirds Over The Mountain  #61
Cottonfields  #5 (UK)
Peggy Sue  #59
Wipeout #12 (#2 UK)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:18:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 17, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »

cover?!?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 17, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »

cover?!?

Apparently Jim Peterik, Joe Thomas and someone else wrote That's Why God Made The radio in the 90s for the BBs, though it's never been released by anyone, and we don't know to what extent (if any) it's been rewritten by any of the band members since (remember that Kokomo, for example, was originally written and demoed by John Philips and Scott Mackenzie, but that Mike and Terry Melcher *radically* altered it. The same kind of thing may -- or may not -- have happened here).

I *was* worried, because "written by Jim Peterik" is a phrase to strike terror into the hearts of music lovers everywhere, but now that Phil The Eternally Wrong has announced that it'll be bad, I can only presume that Peterik was temporarily possessed by the spirit of Johann Sebastian Bach while writing it.

Phil, any chance of making an authoritative pronouncement that the Beach Boys won't play a surprise intimate set in my front room, and that I won't win the lottery next week without even buying a ticket?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 17, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »

cover?!?

Apparently Jim Peterik, Joe Thomas and someone else wrote That's Why God Made The radio in the 90s for the BBs, though it's never been released by anyone, and we don't know to what extent (if any) it's been rewritten by any of the band members since (remember that Kokomo, for example, was originally written and demoed by John Philips and Scott Mackenzie, but that Mike and Terry Melcher *radically* altered it. The same kind of thing may -- or may not -- have happened here).

I *was* worried, because "written by Jim Peterik" is a phrase to strike terror into the hearts of music lovers everywhere, but now that Phil The Eternally Wrong has announced that it'll be bad, I can only presume that Peterik was temporarily possessed by the spirit of Johann Sebastian Bach while writing it.

Phil, any chance of making an authoritative pronouncement that the Beach Boys won't play a surprise intimate set in my front room, and that I won't win the lottery next week without even buying a ticket?

I get it, they didn't write it (that we know of, yet).  Doesn't make their original recording of it a "cover"

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 17, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »

If The Beach Boys did their own version of a song written and recorded by someone else, would that be a "cover"? Probably.

Did Brian Wilson "cover" the songs on the "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" CD?  They were his songs and previously recorded and released solo and by his band, right? So are they covers?  Probably.

If a song was cut (recorded) previously as a demo (i.e. "Don't Fight The Sea" and Wilson/Paley/Usher songs) and ultimately released, does that make it a "cover"? Probably not, as defined by "cover". 

If a song was completed but unreleased, and then they went back and changed a few lyrics or did some vocal overdubs (i.e. Loop De Loop") and then they released it, would that be a "cover" version? Probably not.

Was "Surfin' U.S.A. a cover? It was a rewrite of an existing song with different lyrics, right? Probably not a cover then.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 17, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »

Whilst not totally ideal, it's not like using outside songwriters is an entirely alien concept to pop music.

I can't be too annoyed about TWGMTR being an outside job until I hear it. If it's sh*t, well, easy come easy go. If it's good, I'll just have to deal with having a great song with The Beach Boys singing on it in 2012. Lord knows how I'll manage that.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1211 on: April 17, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »

Again, for all we know, the song could've started with Brian (perhaps a title and a hook riff, maybe even a typical Brian chord progression) and was given to Thomas, Peterik, et al, to finish off (which could definitely mean a substantial amount of work:  verse melody, lyrics, complete bridge section, who knows).  Anyone here heard the demo for "Your Imagination"?  Someone other than Brian (Joe Thomas, I think I read) is humming the melody.  So just because other people worked on the writing and demoing doesn't mean it's a non-Beach Boys composition.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 17, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »

Again, for all we know, the song could've started with Brian (perhaps a title and a hook riff, maybe even a typical Brian chord progression) and was given to Thomas, Peterik, et al, to finish off (which could definitely mean a substantial amount of work:  verse melody, lyrics, complete bridge section, who knows).  Anyone here heard the demo for "Your Imagination"?  Someone other than Brian (Joe Thomas, I think I read) is humming the melody.  So just because other people worked on the writing and demoing doesn't mean it's a non-Beach Boys composition.

And we know at least two other songs that have been inspired by Brian's off-handed comments -- "No Wrong Notes in Heaven" by Scott Bennett, which was based on something BW said during the GIOMH sessions, and on which Brian added some harmony and tag things once Scotty finished it, and "Miracle" by the Wilsons, which is a take off of Brian exclaiming "Am I a fool to expect a miracle" while he was trying to write a song with Carnie. Again, he then seems to have added a few harmony bits and chord changes after the basic thing was written.

I wouldn't be surprised if the something similar didn't happen here -- Brian made this comment, and Joe and Jim wrote a tune around it. Brian will then probably add something bridge-y or tagg-y. It would be more than he contributed to Deirdre!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 17, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »

And we know at least two other songs that have been inspired by Brian's off-handed comments -- "No Wrong Notes in Heaven" by Scott Bennett, which was based on something BW said during the GIOMH sessions, and on which Brian added some harmony and tag things once Scotty finished it, and "Miracle" by the Wilsons, which is a take off of Brian exclaiming "Am I a fool to expect a miracle" while he was trying to write a song with Carnie. Again, he then seems to have added a few harmony bits and chord changes after the basic thing was written.

I wouldn't be surprised if the something similar didn't happen here -- Brian made this comment, and Joe and Jim wrote a tune around it. Brian will then probably add something bridge-y or tagg-y. It would be more than he contributed to Deirdre!

Eh, if it were true, which we don't know, therefore this is all very speculative. If that is the case with the song then how come he hasn't been given credit from the start.

I agree with Hypehat, it's not totally ideal. Hearing something like, "There's a great new Brian Wilson song!" gives you a different feeling than "There's a great new Joe Thomas and Jim Peterik song!" But who knows? It could very well be marvelous...

Also, I always thought Brian was given credit on Deirdre because of its similarity to We're Together Again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 17, 2012, 04:54:07 PM »

Eh, if it were true, which we don't know, therefore this is all very speculative. If that is the case with the song then how come he hasn't been given credit from the start.

I agree with Hypehat, it's not totally ideal. Hearing something like, "There's a great new Brian Wilson song!" gives you a different feeling than "There's a great new Joe Thomas and Jim Peterik song!" But who knows? It could very well be marvelous...

Also, I always thought Brian was given credit on Deirdre because of its similarity to We're Together Again.

Well, he didn't write We're Together Again, either. Edit: I guess he might have had a co-write. But I was always under the impression it was a Ron Wilson thing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:55:49 PM by Wirestone » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1215 on: April 17, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »

I beleive that's true in the case of "We're Together Again" (Ron Wilson all the way...but probably Brian's vocal arrangement).  As for "Deirdre", Bruce has said he tried writing the song with Brian, but Brian was tossing out all kinds of unuseable lyrics.  Bruce gave up, but still split the credit with him even though BW only wrote a line or two of the finished song.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:13:02 PM by c-man » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: April 17, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »

WHAT THE f***

I've been reading here, trying to figure out why everybody's so desperate to prove that Brian wrote part of this song, then finally noticed it was because Phil Cohen came out from under his bridge again and said since it's not original the whole reunion is a flop.

Phil, if it's that bad, just end it.  If you have nothing to look forward to, why are you here?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 17, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »

I beleive that's true in the case of "We're Together Again" (Ron Wilson all the way...but probably Brian's vocal arrangement).  As for "Deirdre", Bruce has said he tried writing the song with Brian, but Brian was tossing out all kinds of unuseable lyrics.  Bruce gave up, but still split the credit with him even though BW only wrote a line or two of the finished song.

Exactly. This was my understanding, too.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 17, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »

WHAT THE f*ck

I've been reading here, trying to figure out why everybody's so desperate to prove that Brian wrote part of this song, then finally noticed it was because Phil Cohen came out from under his bridge again and said since it's not original the whole reunion is a flop.

Phil, if it's that bad, just end it.  If you have nothing to look forward to, why are you here?
He is what you call, a Killjoy. I am sure he believes in the Mayan calendar too. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »

I saw a thing the other day explaining that the Mayan Calandar didn't use Leap Years... so the end of the Mayan calandar was about 8 months ago, lol. 

Anyways.  Back on topic.  I just think it's strange that someone who obviously is very learned and studious tends to look at the darkest possible light anytime possible. 

So at first, reading the replies I thought everybody was stretching, saying maybe Brian suggested the title, but hell, up against Mr. Negativity, I agree with their point.  We have no clue whether or not Brian was involved with this, he may have came up with the title. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1220 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »

I saw a thing the other day explaining that the Mayan Calandar didn't use Leap Years... so the end of the Mayan calandar was about 8 months ago, lol. 

Anyways.  Back on topic.  I just think it's strange that someone who obviously is very learned and studious tends to look at the darkest possible light anytime possible. 

So at first, reading the replies I thought everybody was stretching, saying maybe Brian suggested the title, but hell, up against Mr. Negativity, I agree with their point.  We have no clue whether or not Brian was involved with this, he may have came up with the title. 

It IS a pretty Brian-y title.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 17, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »

Anyways.  Back on topic.  I just think it's strange that someone who obviously is very learned and studious tends to look at the darkest possible light anytime possible.  

So at first, reading the replies I thought everybody was stretching, saying maybe Brian suggested the title, but hell, up against Mr. Negativity, I agree with their point.  We have no clue whether or not Brian was involved with this, he may have came up with the title.  
Well, we kind of know that whether Brian wrote it or not, as he did with the Gershwin & Disney albums, or the songs they remade over the years, that he will give it the Beach Boy treatment. It doesn't concern me too much if he didn't have a hand in writing it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:16:05 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »

Me neither. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1223 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »

What are you talking about?  I thought the song they were promoting was "That's Why God Made The Radio".  Wasn't that written by the band?

EDIT: Nevermind...did a little digging around here and found the answer to my question.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:49:01 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1224 on: April 17, 2012, 11:14:17 PM »

Howsabout some of us actually base their comments on having heard the song in question as opposed to who wrote it ?  Rumor has it the song in question isn't too shabby. Maybe not another "Midnight...", but not something built by cowboys* either.

[* obscure Brit reference - google it Grin]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:15:11 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx