gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:11:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1061752 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: March 20, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »

They might just be ear plugs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 20, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »

And Ronnie Wood too!!! Smokin Smokin
SBonilla
« Reply #852 on: March 20, 2012, 09:02:08 AM »

And Ronnie Wood too!!! Smokin Smokin
Ronnie's wearing the special garment that was given out to those invited to the bash.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: March 20, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »

Nice photo.  Cool to see Wood hanging with the guys.  Didn't Bruce have some medical procedure a few years ago?  It seems like he has aged considerably in the last few years...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 21, 2012, 05:32:11 AM »

Nice photo.  Cool to see Wood hanging with the guys.  Didn't Bruce have some medical procedure a few years ago?  It seems like he has aged considerably in the last few years...

Bruce had a quadruple heart bypass around the time Brian debuted SMiLE
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #855 on: March 21, 2012, 05:42:16 AM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:12:29 AM by Bye bye » Logged

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: March 21, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »

Will Don't Fight The Sea be on the new album?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=373838322647451&set=at.205985672766051.55341.100000638589261.100001449127373.1839964198&type=1&theater

AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 21, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »

What's D'Amico gonna do. His initial responsibility in Brian's band was a percussionist, then Nelson took over after Mike left. Then he got back in the band and became the drummer after Sucherman and Hines left. He's another multi-talented guy, though, and can play guitar, keys, and bass when called upon.

But The Boys already have a drummer and 1/2 in Cowsill and Stamos and about 5 guitarists, two keyboardists, and a bass player.  Man, if D'Amico joins too, that stage is really gonna be full!

I seriously doubt Stamos will feature on any more than a very few US shows: remember how he announced he was taking part than swiftly retracted it a few days later ? Personally speaking, one would be far too many.

may i say i am slightly saddened with the poor grammar shown on here  LOL  Shocked LOL LOL Lips Sealed

Poor spelling, not poor grammar.  Cheesy  I offer you the Whitman defence:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

Sorry, but I've got to call you (and for that matter, all Brits) out on this one: D-E-F-E-N-S-E         LOL

You Americans have America's Band, we Brits have the English language. Read the name. It's named after a place in Britland, called England.

You know, near London.

We Brits have always cherished both.

We should copyright the English language, and penalise cuuntries who misspell words!

Dear Lord, Look at the monster i have created  LOL Cry Cry Jedi Duel
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 21, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »

I believe Al said in a recent interview that they were making a video for the U.S. government that features the song.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: March 21, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »

I believe Al said in a recent interview that they were making a video for the U.S. government that features the song.

Ok, I forgot I had read it in the interview.
I prefer Don't Fight The Sea not to be included in the new album because I want all new songs  Wink

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 21, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »

While I, too, would prefer new material for the new BB album, it makes me very happy to see Matt Jardine doing the high parts here.  I feel Matt comes the closest to the feel of Brian's high parts.  I know there has been talk (some unpleasant) regarding Jeffrey Foskett, but I still like his vocals (Thru My Window is one of the best BB flavoured albums and if you haven't heard it, it is very much worth your time).  But in my semi-celebrity mud wrestling match between Foskett, Kirsch, Baker, and Matt J for the coveted prize of delivering the high parts at the reunion gig I would give the nod to Matt. I have much respect for all of those singers though as those are very tough parts and hard shoes to fill.  I'd love to see Matt Jardine throw in a few high parts for the album or reunion tour.  He has a bit of that whinge that made Brian's parts ooze with a good kind of yearning.  Maybe that's just me though...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »

I really hope don't fight the sea is not on the new album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 21, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »

He said last night at his concert that they were filming it today

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 21, 2012, 09:25:21 PM »

Don't Fight the Sea was described by some as the "holy grail" when it came out because it was the closest we could ever come to a reunion; that Carl was there as well gave it obvious, further appeal.  But now that we have a real reunion on our hands, I too prefer that it not be duplicated here.  it's a good song, but the "polar bear" verse is politically facile and is becoming, in fact, cringe worthy. Overt political statements in music often fail, and that "global warming" verse is overwrought and mawkish. Let the song make its own fate as composed (Terry Jacks et al?), performed by several BB, and produced ,so lovingly, by Al.

By the way, I am not VDP, though I was flattered by the courtly comparison.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #864 on: March 21, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »

Don't Fight the Sea was described by some as the "holy grail" when it came out because it was the closest we could ever come to a reunion; that Carl was there as well gave it obvious, further appeal.  But now that we have a real reunion on our hands, I too prefer that it not be duplicated here.  it's a good song, but the "polar bear" verse is politically facile and is becoming, in fact, cringe worthy. Overt political statements in music often fail, and that "global warming" verse is overwrought and mawkish. Let the song make its own fate as composed (Terry Jacks et al?), performed by several BB, and produced ,so lovingly, by Al.

I agree with VDP; we don't need another recording of this song.  And without Carl involved?  Nuts to that.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:29:39 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 22, 2012, 02:14:09 AM »

From the Facebook.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:50 AM »

Bruce, Matt & Dave = harmonising.
Brian = "how the heck did I get here?"
Al = "heck guys, he's coming round..."
Mike = "try to look like you're singing - he'll think it's 1964!"

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #867 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:44 AM »

Please God don't let Bruce wear shorts for any of the reunion gigs.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: March 22, 2012, 04:46:25 AM »

Please God don't let Bruce wear shorts for any of the reunion gigs.

T.H.I.S.

BTW It's great to see Matt with the guys. Hope he will be part of the reunion anyway.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:49:15 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 22, 2012, 04:49:01 AM »

So that's Matt Jardine at a reunion vocal session? Cool beans.

Does that mean everybody won't bitch about Foskett's falsetto ruining the new record, and how they wish Matt Jardine were doing it?  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #870 on: March 22, 2012, 06:27:48 AM »

I also think it would be great if Matt Jardine was involved in the new album; his falsetto does blend the best with them in my opinion. I fear this new photo may be part of a video shoot, in which case they may just be staging some studio footage to mix into this video they’re apparently doing for the song. Hard to say; it looks like the mics are really hooked up and whatnot. Whether this session is “real” or not, hopefully Matt J. got to be part of some of the new album sessions.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:37:52 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: March 22, 2012, 06:37:09 AM »

Don't Fight the Sea was described by some as the "holy grail" when it came out because it was the closest we could ever come to a reunion; that Carl was there as well gave it obvious, further appeal.  But now that we have a real reunion on our hands, I too prefer that it not be duplicated here.  it's a good song, but the "polar bear" verse is politically facile and is becoming, in fact, cringe worthy. Overt political statements in music often fail, and that "global warming" verse is overwrought and mawkish. Let the song make its own fate as composed (Terry Jacks et al?), performed by several BB, and produced ,so lovingly, by Al.

By the way, I am not VDP, though I was flattered by the courtly comparison.

I think the one and only reason not to include the song on a new album is because we’ve already seen it released. It would be redundant. But I don’t think anything about the song is “facile” enough to warrant being kept off an album. I’m not making any assumption about the lyrics on the upcoming new album, but my guess is lyrics of the type found in “Don’t Fight the Sea” will end up not being as “facile” as some of the lyrics we may hear on this new album.

I most definitely don’t want to turn this into a debate, and I’m not a huge pro-active advocate for global warming awareness and whatnot, but while Al may intend the song as an overt political statement now, I view it more as an interesting take on not messing with nature. More like, “Don’t f--- with the ocean, because nature is way more powerful than you are.” I actually found this to be an interesting complement to the ocean imagery and references in past BB tracks. In any event, this type of message seems much less overtly political.

I would say that if they are inclined to use stuff on the new album that we’ve already had released, which is something I don’t want to see, then “Don’t Fight the Sea” would make sense as an inclusion. I do wonder if Al would have held it back in 2009/2010 or earlier if he had known that a full-blown reunion album was going to happen in 2012.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: March 22, 2012, 06:58:50 AM »

Does that mean everybody won't bitch about Foskett's falsetto ruining the new record, and how they wish Matt Jardine were doing it?  Roll Eyes

It means that when the records comes out, everybody will bitch about Matt's falsetto ruining the new record and how they wish Jeff had done them.
That's how BB fandom works.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 22, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »

Ah, but of course!

It does worry me that the session is for Don't Fight The Sea. Regardless of whether it's any good or not (hint: I think it's dull and stayed in the can for a very good reason) but it's an actual bonafide track on Al's solo album. Waves Of Love was slated as a bonus, and you'd be able to just not put it on the reissue of Al's solo record. But this will come out on both! That's just terrible business, even for The Beach Boys.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 22, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »

From the Facebook.

Judging from the cucoloris used to create that background lighting effect, I'd say this was staged for a video. Either that or the Beach Boys only record in studios that employ a full-time gaffer and lighting crew.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx