gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:23:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055738 times)
Val
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #800 on: March 15, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »

Go ahead and encourage him!! I dig the guy and all his posts. I have even felt the wrath of AGD and wear my wounds proudly like battle scars!! Razz Razz Razz

Have you discussed your masochistic tendencies with your psycho analyst lately, jimmy?

I jest! I jest!

I too suffer the Wrath of Doe,  over the layout of the BBB mag, amongst  other things.   Don't ever tell him this, will you, but he is often right.

And he does stroke his beard before he gives you an answer.
 Wink 2

A Big  Fan of this Board - even though you can be very naughty at times!
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 15, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »

I just read the entire Probyn Gregory interview and I find it interesting that the only song he was raving about (or had anyting positive to elaborate on) was the God/Radio one that he didn't even play on.
He did say that some of the songs had a BBs '80s vibe to it as has been pointed out here already. I do not undertand that at all. Of all the  eras to sound like, that would certainly be one to avoid.
He didn't describe the songs that he worked on at all. I find that kind of puzzling, and not in a good way.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #802 on: March 15, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »

I just read the entire Probyn Gregory interview and I find it interesting that the only song he was raving about (or had anyting positive to elaborate on) was the God/Radio one that he didn't even play on.
He did say that some of the songs had a BBs '80s vibe to it as has been pointed out here already. I do not undertand that at all. Of all the  eras to sound like, that would certainly be one to avoid.
He didn't describe the songs that he worked on at all. I find that kind of puzzling, and not in a good way.

I can ask him about it, it was just the way the conversation went. I wouldn't overly run into it....its really just a conversation between friends you are reading

Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 15, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »

I can ask him about it, it was just the way the conversation went. I wouldn't overly run into it....its really just a conversation between friends you are reading
Ah. That would be great, thanks. Would love to hear anything concerning the new recordinds/songs.!
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 15, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »

Ah some of these posts made my day!  Grin

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 15, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »

Ah. That would be great, thanks. Would love to hear anything concerning the new recordinds/songs.!

We'll know everything in a couple of months, good or bad.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 15, 2012, 02:29:37 PM »

Ah some of these posts made my day!  Grin

Ah, so. Grin
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #807 on: March 15, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »

We'll know everything in a couple of months, good or bad.

Yeah, I mean I don't want to bug him. It sounds like everything is going cool with the album

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 15, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »

i wouldn't mind clarification on "80s", he had to know that's a bit of a red flag thing to say
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 15, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »

i wouldn't mind clarification on "80s", he had to know that's a bit of a red flag thing to say
Well, Brian Wilson was a Beach Boy, and his 1988 solo album was great, so maybe that's what he was referring to?  Wink

EDIT:

An update from Mike via his Facebook page:

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes. I really appreciate the kindness. I am enjoying my birthday in Mexico with a little rest and relaxation before heading back into the studio finalizing the new album. Look for us coming soon on CBS Sunday morning news to be aired in the near future as Brian, Myself, Al, Bruce, and Marks share more of our 50th Anniversary plans with our fans. Can't wait to see everybody out on the road this year. Looking forward to celebrating the 50th with all our fans and friends.

Mucho Gusto,

Mike
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:30:54 PM by coco1997 » Logged

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: March 15, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »

Why did he refer to Dave as Marls? Angry Angry
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »

He said "Marks"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #812 on: March 15, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »

The new album should contain an ode to Andrew G. Doe, for all the dedication and work thoughout all those years.

Throw me a title, guys and gals.

D'oe!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: March 15, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »

Why did he refer to Dave as Marls? Angry Angry

Same reason that just about everyone I know refers to a certain Alan as "Boyd".  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: March 16, 2012, 03:46:06 AM »

Are we over-scrutinizing this comment? Yes--we are.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 16, 2012, 04:27:08 AM »

I think so - from Probyn's interview, it sounds like a lot of 'natural' instruments are being used. Mertens seems to be doing a lot of work, they're laying down possibly cello tracks (although Probyn's friend could well have been there as part of a larger ensemble), a few songs have french horn and stuff he plays, that sort of thing. I don't think they're mixing that up with OTT synth patches and vocal processing, ala BB85.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 16, 2012, 04:47:45 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't try to read too much into the '80s comment.  He had only heard one tune, and if they were playing it for the media, it is probably near complete.  He said he only played on '3 or 4' others (at the time), and if he's doing instrumental tracking, he may have only heard parts of those songs, or only certain elements of those recordings...perhaps without vocals, as those are usually last.  So, let's just wait and see.  Mike said the songs were like mid-60's songs.  Brian said they were mellow, '60s style songs, but with some 2000's in there, too.  Probyn said a couple of the things he heard sound like the '80s Beach Boys, but he also said that the God/radio song sounded like it could be a hit today.  Again, we'll know soon enough.  Also looking forward to the CBS Sunday Morning segment. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 16, 2012, 07:11:12 AM »

I think the '80s comment may stem from another thing. When listening to the vocals, he probably heard that "Kokomo"/"Still Cruisin'"/"Cool Head Warm Heart" kind of vocal from Mike, which accompanied by a slick sounding track blasting out of studio speakers, would probably sound '80s.

I think one thing a lot of people are forgetting is that Mike can't really sing like he used to. His voice is probably the weakest of the main surviving Beach Boys. Brian's voice might be a bit different than it used to be, but he still can turn out a strong vocal, whereas from listening to the albums worth of songs that Mike made in the early 2000's it sounds like the only voice he can do comfortably is that whispery "Kokomo" type delivery. And when he tries to sound like the guy who sang "I Get Around" or "California Girls" he ends up having to get super nasal, like "Getcha Back" or things of that nature.

I pretty much agree with whoever sound the sound will probably amount to Imagination meets That Lucky Old Sun. Which is fine with me. Because honestly, I love Imagination. It's my second favorite BW solo, behind his 1988 debut album. There are a few garbage songs on it, but his vocals were so great on it. My only thing is whether the material will be that great. I'm probably not in the majority, but I didn't think the songwriting on TLOS was that great. I never really go back to it. I know everybody loves "Midnight's Another Day" and others, but it really doesn't move me. "Good Kind of Love" is good though, very Brian. But I'm really hoping that being back with The Beach Boys really inspired him to pull out some classic material on this one.

But overall, and I have nothing to found this on but speculation, I think vocally this will be the best Beach Boys album since Sunflower. Say what you will about Imagination, but the vocals, in my opinion, sounded absolutely gorgeous from Brian. And now, coupled with the fact that Brian is singing with a subtlety and emotion that we hadn't heard in years, I think there is gonna be some special moments if Brian comes up with some worthy songs. I think Al and Bruce will sound great too, and combined with the more mellow Mike Love vocal delivery, I think the album will be, as Brian has said, mellow with great vocals.

*Sorry for going all vintagemusic on you guys. I just kept writing and writing, ha.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:23 AM »

What year was "Cool Head, Warm Heart" originally written/recorded?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »

Well, I assume it was probably recorded around 2003 or so, because I'm pretty sure Mike's "album" leaked around 2004 or 2005.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »

Well, I assume it was probably recorded around 2003 or so, because I'm pretty sure Mike's "album" leaked around 2004 or 2005.
there's an older recording but I'm not sure if it's from the late 70's or early 80's
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 16, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »

I think the '80s comment may stem from another thing. When listening to the vocals, he probably heard that "Kokomo"/"Still Cruisin'"/"Cool Head Warm Heart" kind of vocal from Mike, which accompanied by a slick sounding track blasting out of studio speakers, would probably sound '80s.

I think one thing a lot of people are forgetting is that Mike can't really sing like he used to. His voice is probably the weakest of the main surviving Beach Boys. Brian's voice might be a bit different than it used to be, but he still can turn out a strong vocal, whereas from listening to the albums worth of songs that Mike made in the early 2000's it sounds like the only voice he can do comfortably is that whispery "Kokomo" type delivery. And when he tries to sound like the guy who sang "I Get Around" or "California Girls" he ends up having to get super nasal, like "Getcha Back" or things of that nature.

Mike reached his nasal zenith in 1983. Since then, his singing became gradually more natural. You can hear him in videos from recent shows sounding better than 20 years ago. Besides, all of them can sound great in the studio...

The biggest difference between studio and stage is Brian's, though: he's still to sing a decent California Girls (the 2008 video recently posted is good only of you are familiar with the standard), and yet is sounding gorgeous in recent albums. An then, he sang really good in the Grammy ceremony.

I don't know, I think the pieces are falling in the right places for this celebration. Seems like all of them will be more than up to it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »

there's an older recording but I'm not sure if it's from the late 70's or early 80's

Do you know if this is available on any bootlegs?

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 16, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »

it exists but I don't know which boot it's on..I think it's a solo boot of Mike maybe even "First love" or one of those..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: March 16, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »

it exists but I don't know which boot it's on..I think it's a solo boot of Mike maybe even "First love" or one of those..

You're getting your songs confused - there are several re-recorded First Love songs on MLNW, but "Cool Head..." isn't one of them. It's a relatively new composition, and the only version I'm aware of is the finished one we all know.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx