gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055702 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: March 14, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »

Winehouse albums are slick, retro but then sound organic AND modern.  Def give props to ronson for that

the 'props' go to Gabe Roth; the 'slick' to Ronson.

The slickness in Back To Black is in that the rather small team of musicians play very tightly and "on it" while the overall sound/vibe is both retro and modern. The SOUND itself does not sound AOR at all......... to my ears.

nah, the slickness is Ronson & Winehouse (not present in the other Daptone recordings).

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »

The 80's Beach Boys comment really scares me - that's a far cry from what we've heard from the boys, making comparisons to Pet Sounds and their 60's material.  As others have said, I suppose the involvement of Joe Thomas shouldn't make this much of a surprise, and maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I think that the "80's Beach Boys" sound needs to stay in the 80's, and nowhere near this album.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 14, 2012, 05:38:04 PM »

What's D'Amico gonna do. His initial responsibility in Brian's band was a percussionist, then Nelson took over after Mike left. Then he got back in the band and became the drummer after Sucherman and Hines left. He's another multi-talented guy, though, and can play guitar, keys, and bass when called upon.

But The Boys already have a drummer and 1/2 in Cowsill and Stamos and about 5 guitarists, two keyboardists, and a bass player.  Man, if D'Amico joins too, that stage is really gonna be full!

I seriously doubt Stamos will feature on any more than a very few US shows: remember how he announced he was taking part than swiftly retracted it a few days later ? Personally speaking, one would be far too many.

Dennis would have kicked his ass.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: March 14, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

Well, first we all can be sure that the Pet Sounds comparisons are just promo. Especially with Mike I have the feeling that he always pulls out the Pet Sounds comparisons when talking about a ballad. Maybe the same goes for Al. But I really can't see how anyone really would believe the words of the guys that this new album will be any new Pet Sounds (and if it is I will be disappointed because I wouldn't like them to repeat themselves).

And secondly, 80s Beach Boys doesn't necessaily mean that they go for an 80s sound (I hope they won't). Maybe it's just (if you take Beach Boys '85 as an example) that everyone will contribute in songwriting. And say what you want, Beach Boys '85 was a very contemporary sounding record (I really like that album) so maybe that's what Probyn Gregory meant (contemporary; that would fit with his description of the Radio-song). We just have to wait.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 14, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »

What's D'Amico gonna do. His initial responsibility in Brian's band was a percussionist, then Nelson took over after Mike left. Then he got back in the band and became the drummer after Sucherman and Hines left. He's another multi-talented guy, though, and can play guitar, keys, and bass when called upon.

But The Boys already have a drummer and 1/2 in Cowsill and Stamos and about 5 guitarists, two keyboardists, and a bass player.  Man, if D'Amico joins too, that stage is really gonna be full!

I seriously doubt Stamos will feature on any more than a very few US shows: remember how he announced he was taking part than swiftly retracted it a few days later ? Personally speaking, one would be far too many.

may i say i am slightly saddened with the poor grammar shown on here  LOL  Shocked LOL LOL Lips Sealed
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: March 14, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »

A Stamos appearance would be retro to the wrong era.  But its hard to guess what this committee of Beachboys will do.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: March 14, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »

"Sounding like 80's Beach Boys", oh dear that's just about the worse comparison he could have come up with. Does not whet my appetite. Could tie in with JT being an executive producer.

Well, I would worry about it sounding like "90s Beach Boys" more. Summer in Paradise dates from 92, IIRC.

But yeah, if Joe Thomas is involved -- as we have known since late last year, at least -- the album will probably have a degree of slickness to it. I mean listen to the version of "Do It Again" that's out! I've been banging this drum for awhile now, and I'm astonished that people are still taken aback or trying to wishful-think their way out of this.

Joe Thomas involvement, Joe Thomas musicians = Slicker, adult contemporary sound.

That's just the way it is.

Well I guess it could be worse--they could get Steve Levine to do the album...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »

but if probyn is calling JT "executive producer" and an "overseeer" then i don't see how his influence musically will be that prominent.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 14, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »

I wonder when they'll get back to work on the album?...don't they have rehearsals for the tour to worry about pretty soon?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 14, 2012, 11:56:19 PM »

but if probyn is calling JT "executive producer" and an "overseeer" then i don't see how his influence musically will be that prominent.

We'll see!

I wonder when they'll get back to work on the album?...don't they have rehearsals for the tour to worry about pretty soon?

They're working on it now. According to the Probyn interview, no rehearsals are planned until next month.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #785 on: March 15, 2012, 12:40:15 AM »

Think wider than just the album project (and this isn't any insider info - it's been underlined in a recent article).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #786 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »

may i say i am slightly saddened with the poor grammar shown on here  LOL  Shocked LOL LOL Lips Sealed

Poor spelling, not poor grammar.  Cheesy  I offer you the Whitman defence:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #787 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:23 AM »

The TV thing, right...?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:40 AM »

The new album should contain an ode to Andrew G. Doe, for all the dedication and work thoughout all those years.

Throw me a title, guys and gals.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 15, 2012, 01:40:30 AM »

Ode to Doe

The Good Grammer  Grammar Album
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:43:41 AM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #790 on: March 15, 2012, 02:29:55 AM »

Doe, a seer, a Beach Boys seer..........
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 15, 2012, 02:57:36 AM »

I present the two-birds/one stone solution - honour the recently deceased Whitney Houston and the owner of Farnham's loudest shirt by singing this to the popular air of the former, in 17 part harmony with Stamos on lead...

And AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-GEEEEEE-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE KNOWS BETTER THAN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU (cue soaring Jeff falsetto)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 15, 2012, 03:13:20 AM »

I present the two-birds/one stone solution - honour the recently deceased Whitney Houston and the owner of Farnham's loudest shirt by singing this to the popular air of the former, in 17 part harmony with Stamos on lead...

And AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-GEEEEEE-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE KNOWS BETTER THAN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU (cue soaring Jeff falsetto)

LOL

That is brilliant. I hear Phil Cohen's on drums.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #793 on: March 15, 2012, 03:41:06 AM »

Stone fucking genius.  Grin

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #794 on: March 15, 2012, 04:15:09 AM »

Stone f*cking genius.  Grin

I thank you......

The musical's on the way!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: March 15, 2012, 05:07:46 AM »

"A Day In the Life Of AGD" Huh

Val
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: March 15, 2012, 05:13:18 AM »

"HE  Knows US Too Well"

Grin

You know that you are all just encouraging him, don't you?

Cool

A Big  Fan of this Board - even though you can be very naughty at times!
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 15, 2012, 08:02:52 AM »

Go ahead and encourage him!! I dig the guy and all his posts. I have even felt the wrath of AGD and wear my wounds proudly like battle scars!! Razz Razz Razz
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 15, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »

Doe Hurt My Little Sister
Doe It Again
Doe You Wanna Dance
Doe Go Near The Water
Doe , You Like Worms ??

There are some many of his hits , but my favourite hit of his is

'Doe Only Knows'

Sorry for the spealing errurs  Grin
Love You
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #799 on: March 15, 2012, 08:24:07 AM »

Doe Hurt My Little Sister
Doe It Again
Doe You Wanna Dance
Doe Go Near The Water
Doe , You Like Worms ??

There are some many of his hits , but my favourite hit of his is

'Doe Only Knows'

Sorry for the spealing errurs  Grin
Love You

Slow day in the office, huh Rob ?  Cheesy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx