gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055838 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: March 10, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »

Brian and Mike are a superb songwriting duo - for a specific range of material.

I do wholeheartedly agree with this. Also, Mike's talent for hooks should not be underestimated.  (And by that, I mean lines like "Tack it up / Tack it up / Buddy gonna shut you down" or the "Whoa baby's" in "Kiss Me Baby.") It's one of the great things to look out for if you ever listen to Summer in Paradise. Mike created earworm bass and lyrical hooks all over the thing.The problem is, they're affixed to generally subpar songs.

There is genuine talent and ability there, but it needs a great songwriter's output to work with -- like, say, Kokomo. Really. You have a nice nostalgic John Phillips tune -- then Mike writes this silly-stupid-catchy chorus with Terry Melcher. And you have a no. 1 record. Mike's greatest songwriting talent, lyrics aside, is as a gifted enhancer of other people's tunes.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 10, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »

Mike's greatest songwriting talent, lyrics aside, is as a gifted enhancer of other people's tunes.
Most classic example maybe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s_Gh_pOM9n0#t=14s
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 10, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »

And I believe Mike was Brians' musical foil. They'd been collaborating and harmonizing from day one and I think they depended on each other.

That's certainly what Mike believes, and what a lot of people who are fans of Mike believe. I'm not sure if Brian necessarily agreed when he sought out a sequence of other co-writers in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s.
I think that Brian, like the rest of us, knows that Mike is a great lyricist, but Brian also likes to continually try different things musically and lyrically. I don't think Brian's choice to collaborate with others is because Mike is an inadequate or untalented lyricist. Mike could never write lyrics like Van Dyke Parks, and vice-versa. A lot of Brian's collaborator choices also have to do with his comfort zone - Scott Bennett, for instance, seems like someone Brian is comfortable around.

One thing that is true about Mike Love is that he is viewed as being somewhat limited in scope. He typically goes for a certain feel, subject matter, and rhyme scheme in his lyrics. I think that Mike recognized this as early as the late 60s, and he made an effort to branch out on Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surfs Up, and Holland.  This was a mixed bag, of course, as a listen to "Student Demonstration Time" confirms... but "Let The Wind Blow" and "Big Sur" show a more artistic side of Love that a lot of fans prefer to ignore.

Judging by the interview with Mike Love that I read earlier today, he is writing lyrics for several tracks on the new Beach Boys album, but not all of them. He is clearly cognizant of the fact that Brian and the group benefit from having different lyricists on different tracks. I would imagine that he is also doing his best to not intimidate his cousin. It looks like everybody in the group knows their place, finally, after all this time. This is a miracle of sorts, and a beautiful resolution to The Beach Boys story.
Nice post!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 10, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »

Mike's greatest songwriting talent, lyrics aside, is as a gifted enhancer of other people's tunes.
Most classic example maybe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s_Gh_pOM9n0#t=14s

Exactly. A song that was already written, already tracked, already had a theme -- but what does he add? He makes up that little line to sing along with the bass. It's kind of stupid on it's own, but its genius in the context of the whole song. And makes it catchy in an entirely different way!

(Speaking of which, I've always talked up Mike's lyrics for GV. I don't know of another situation where he did more with less. The lyrics are genuinely good, and compare favorably to anything Asher or Parks did around the same time.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears
And the way the sunlight plays upon her hair
I hear the sound of a gentle word
On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air

I'm pickin' up good vibrations
She's giving me excitations

Close my eyes, she's somehow closer now
Softly smile, I know she must be kind
When I look in her eyes
She goes with me to a blossom world (we find -- good edit, Brian!)

I'm pickin' up good vibrations
She's giving me excitations

I don't know where but she sends me there
Oh my, my, what a sensation
Oh my, my, what elations

Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations
A happenin' with her.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:48:17 PM by Wirestone » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »

'I don't know where, but she sends me there' is one of the greatest lines in popular music. Whilst it's fun to bash Mike, you cannot deny that.

Just chiming in with how OnTeeMoney the pair of you are, don't mind me  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #680 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »

the entire Wild Honey album has some super lyrics.  Brian & Mike's best collaboration I'd say.

("with all the other stud bees buzzin' all around her hive ...")

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »

(Speaking of which, I've always talked up Mike's lyrics for GV. I don't know of another situation where he did more with less. The lyrics are genuinely good, and compare favorably to anything Asher or Parks did around the same time.

I think that "Had To Phone Ya" is a good example of this too. His lyrics for the 15 Big Ones version make the song more universal than the original Spring version. Obviously this wasn't turned into the monster hit the Good Vibes was, and the changes in instrumentation help a lot too, but Mike's contributions make a big difference.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 11, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »

I wish we could get some news.

I don't know if I agree with some of these comments about the genius of
Mike Love, and yet, obviously there is something about the combination and
chemistry of these guys, or I wouldn't be more excited about the forthcoming
Beach Boy album, than I am about a new Brian Wilson release.

Whether Mike Love has been unfairly underrated I don't know, but there is something
these guys are able to do together, that they can't do individually, same with the Beatles
or anybody else. No matter how talented someone may be, Brian Wilson, McCartney, whoever
it might be, There is something about the combo that just is. Chemistry.

I am excited as hell about the new album, !!!!

AGD gave as a very interesting clue yesterday, he said, Joe Thomas was handling the video
production, but not the production of the new album, if I understood AGD's post correctly.

I keep thinking about Love and Wilson's comments to the press, that this album sounds like
the Beach Boys in the sixties. What more could a guy ask for in 2012

That is very exciting.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 11, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »

how about the boys tackling Lane Steinberg's - Tidal Wave  (Trombone Dixie music ++ ) for the new CD.  Grin

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 11, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »

A few lines in "Good Vibrations" just irk me. Like they're just trying their damnedest to fit in with the current music scene. "I love the colorful clothes she wears"? "She goes with me to a blossom world"? Just reeks of the whole "FLOWER POWER, MAAAAAAAAN" thing of the day.

Mike has written much better lyrics several times over, albeit I'll admit "Good Vibrations" does have a few nice lines.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 11, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »

blossomed world is the only one that dates the tune in my mind.  colorful clothes is good for any decade.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 11, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »

vintagemusic, no disrespect meant but if you really think the reunion album is going to sell between 1-5 million copies then you have no grip on the music industry in this day and age. 50,000 copies on initial release is much more likely. Check how much The Smile Sessions sold.

While it's tough to predict sales, I would be wary of using TSS as any sort of benchmark. It was a seven disc archival release aimed at a specific group of fans -- and even then it outperformed expectations.
It did? What were the expectations? Someone must have thought 7 discs were too much for the typical consumer, so they came up with the 2 disc version. And how well did that version sell? Pretty poorly, if the chart performance is any indication. I agree that the reunion album is going to be a tough sell except to us die hards.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 11, 2012, 09:50:40 PM »

Well over 90 percent of the Foskett hate is because --

1.) He's Brian's "minder" on the road.

2.) He's an evangelical Christian.

3.) He doesn't like Love You.

In other words, people don't think he's cool enough to have the job he has.

It's bullsh*t, and it has nothing to do with how he sounds.

My biggest issue with him is how he sounds and how his voice dominates the mix in every song he's a part of. It's like, it's not enough that his voice grates, but it's always right up front. I've talked to many people outside the boards who agree.

In other words, if he sounded decent, I'd cut him some slack elsewhere. I'm sure the guy, stated or otherwise, used his status as Brian's minder as leverage in getting a spot on the new album/tour. I don't care what religion he is, for the record.

Also, you forgot to list that creepy-ass dead-end gaze he gives on stage at all times.

If you told people some random live track was Matt Jardine, but it was actually Foskett, I doubt most people here could tell.

Not true at all. Not even a little. Matt's voice is far from perfect, but I'd much rather have him doing the falsetto vocals than Jeff. I'd rather have a lot of people there other than Jeff, honestly. There's this hoarse, bloated "ooph"ness in all his falsetto vocals that is just unpleasant, which is backed with it just sounding incredibly cold and sterile. That combined with him constantly modifying Brian's original written parts is... yeah :\

Christian Love and Matt Jardine being, erm, created by the original members, I feel they have much more of a place in this reunion than Jeff, who admittedly has been around for some time, but joined as a touring member during the 80s. 80s Beach Boys. Blech. They're skilled and they're family.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:59:20 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »

vintagemusic, no disrespect meant but if you really think the reunion album is going to sell between 1-5 million copies then you have no grip on the music industry in this day and age. 50,000 copies on initial release is much more likely. Check how much The Smile Sessions sold.

While it's tough to predict sales, I would be wary of using TSS as any sort of benchmark. It was a seven disc archival release aimed at a specific group of fans -- and even then it outperformed expectations.
It did? What were the expectations? Someone must have thought 7 discs were too much for the typical consumer, so they came up with the 2 disc version. And how well did that version sell? Pretty poorly, if the chart performance is any indication. I agree that the reunion album is going to be a tough sell except to us die hards.

Andrew has stated repeatedly on the board that The Smile Sessions -- in all incarnations and whatever the chart placements -- handily outperformed Capitol's expectations. IIRC, I believe there is actually a shortage of the two-disc sets.

And my point is that comparing TSS, an archival release with a relatively limited print run and multiple discs, aimed squarely at an enthusiast market, with a BB reunion album is folly. It's apples and oranges.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: March 12, 2012, 06:21:57 AM »

And my point is that comparing TSS, an archival release with a relatively limited print run and multiple discs, aimed squarely at an enthusiast market, with a BB reunion album is folly. It's apples and oranges.

I agree. But I think that the succes and public attention of TSS might have an effect on the new Beach Boys album. They're kinda in the spotlight right now

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 12, 2012, 06:27:14 AM »

My biggest issue with him is how he sounds and how his voice dominates the mix in every song he's a part of. It's like, it's not enough that his voice grates, but it's always right up front. I've talked to many people outside the boards who agree.

It doesn't matter to me what 'many people outside this board' think.  There are some folks who don't like his voice, and there are others who do like his voice...or who don't think his voice is bad.  I think he handles his parts fine, and I don't mind his tone at all.

In other words, if he sounded decent, I'd cut him some slack elsewhere.

What does that mean, 'cut him some slack elsewhere'?  Where?

I'm sure the guy, stated or otherwise, used his status as Brian's minder as leverage in getting a spot on the new album/tour.

So you think that Foskett decided that he would force his way into this tour/album?  You don't think that Brian or his people wanted Jeff there for Brian?

Also, you forgot to list that creepy-ass dead-end gaze he gives on stage at all times.

Never noticed. 

Christian Love and Matt Jardine being, erm, created by the original members, I feel they have much more of a place in this reunion than Jeff, who admittedly has been around for some time, but joined as a touring member during the 80s. 80s Beach Boys. Blech. They're skilled and they're family.

Not sure about Matt Jardine, but Andrew has indicated that Christian Love had no interest in participating.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 12, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »

I have just joined this board.  I have read all the posts and am comforted to know that i am not alone in waiting in anxious care about the album.  May I summarize some hopes and, perhaps, provide a focused platform for future information:

1. Are the BB playing instruments, such as on Sunflower and 20 other albums, or are ALL the tracks pre-done, with the BB only adding vocals?

2. DIA is obviously a different category because we see already how it was produced: only David playing.

3. Are Mike and Brian writing new songs together ex nihil? Or is Mike adding lyrics to already written songs?

4. Will David's song make the album?

5. Any writing by Bruce and Al?

6. Will TWGMR come out as a "single,"  whatever that means in the modern world?

7. Will they do the late-nite TV shows to promote the new album?

Beyond that, the bits of interview released, including KEarth 101, reveal a happy and joyous pair of cousins, at peace and working together.  I hope the album manifests "authenticity" by as many measures as the fans on this site can devise.

Have I failed to summarize any of the major questions?  I have tickets for the Bowl and Irvine and can think of nothing else (save duty and work of course) but the BB. Thank you all for your information and fellowship.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 12, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »

I have just joined this board.  I have read all the posts and am comforted to know that i am not alone in waiting in anxious care about the album.  May I summarize some hopes and, perhaps, provide a focused platform for future information:

1. Are the BB playing instruments, such as on Sunflower and 20 other albums, or are ALL the tracks pre-done, with the BB only adding vocals?

2. DIA is obviously a different category because we see already how it was produced: only David playing.

3. Are Mike and Brian writing new songs together ex nihil? Or is Mike adding lyrics to already written songs?

4. Will David's song make the album?

5. Any writing by Bruce and Al?

6. Will TWGMR come out as a "single,"  whatever that means in the modern world?

7. Will they do the late-nite TV shows to promote the new album?

Beyond that, the bits of interview released, including KEarth 101, reveal a happy and joyous pair of cousins, at peace and working together.  I hope the album manifests "authenticity" by as many measures as the fans on this site can devise.

Have I failed to summarize any of the major questions?  I have tickets for the Bowl and Irvine and can think of nothing else (save duty and work of course) but the BB. Thank you all for your information and fellowship.

We know Al Jardine wrote one song, which will feature vocals from Carl Wilson. So yes you forgot to ask if Carl and Dennis would be represented.
So you get two for one there!

I think we all assume they will do the late night TV circuit, they have a major special coming on PBS featuring a look at their career and some new
songs, from the album called, (the show is called) Summer's Gone, on PBS I believe it's July 7Th ?

We know at least some of Mike Love's lyrics are being written to tunes, (Possibly tracks) Wilson had already written.

I am under the impression, Marks will play guitar possibly on more cuts.

The album has been said to be, similar to Pet Sounds, and the album supposedly ends with a musical suite or medley, and Brian Wilson
said all the songs flow into one another, and he said it's a very mellow album, Love said the song "that's Why God made the Radio" sounds
like The Beach Boy's in the sixties, he also said, one of the songs is as good as anything the Beach Boys have ever done,  it's not clear whether
Love is talking about the song "that's why God made the radio" but it seems likely.

The Beach Boys may play some parts on the album, I do not know, but for the most part, session players seem to be doing most or all
of the tracks, with Marks playing some guitar, that's just my guess, ask Andrew or someone who knows.

I'm hoping for the single in late may , probably a pipe dream on my part, probably by June if the PBS show has new material
the first week in July.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:11 AM »

Thank you, vintagemusic; that is very helpful. I suppose we al lhave been filling the space of hope with theory and speculation, and it's good to collect our basics together thus.  I will retun now to listening to all the corpus and watching DIA for the 400th time. What a wonder that the music-- and the promise of new music-- can so stir our hearts.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 12, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »

Al just announced on his facebook page that "Waves of Love" will be a bonus track for the March CD release of Postcard...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: March 12, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

Al just announced on his facebook page that "Waves of Love" will be a bonus track for the March CD release of Postcard...

Probably the un-touched recording from the 90s as he stated that the song will be on the new Beach Boys album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 12, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »

Probably the un-touched recording from the 90s as he stated that the song will be on the new Beach Boys album
How much was Al involved with the song back in the 90's to justify a release on his solo LP? Especially if it's "untouched"...

And isn't it a bit weird/unusual that a song (in 2 versions or not) pops up on two different albums the same year? Oh well, it's the Beach Boys...

The more we get out of this year, the better.  Grin
Paulos
« Reply #697 on: March 12, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »

Well, Al has been known to speak out of turn of late! The new release date seems weird though and I can't see Waves Of Love being on both APFC and the new BB album.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »

Hey can we get some big guns, with inside info on this, that makes no sense whatsoever.
Are you kidding did Jardine say that on Facebook, a date of March, and for his solo album?

Listen, those remarks by Jardine, make it seem to me, like they bumped the song from the
Beach Boys album, like they wrote and recorded some more songs, found another song
with Carl Wilson on it they liked better,

That makes no sense whatsoever, who the hell would be doing the last BBoys album, first album in 20 years
getting more and better press on this new B Boys album, than they have gotten in decades, and one of the
great final Beach Boys songs, Jardine gets a writers on the final B Boys album, and he announces its gonna
be a bonus track on his solo album, two or three months before the new Beach Boys album!

That makes no sense, its either someones drunk or they bumped the song from the Beach Boys album because
they are finding they have lots of material

Who in their right mind would put the song on both albums, and let the Jardine solo version come out three
months before the Beach Boys version

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Mr Doe, what the heck is going on with that
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:12:38 PM by vintagemusic » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »

uh, is it even a good song?  maybe there was better, with or without carl.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx