gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:10:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060548 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »

I think Summer's Gone would be an exceptional title.  Matt Jardine is great, would love to see him in the mix.  I think Christian Love would be fine in there as well, but I have never thought he sounds remotely close to Carl.  I know that he tries to achieve that sound on things like Cool Head, Warm Heart, but he just doesn't come close.
"Remotely"? Come on! His voice is not as strong as Carl's was, but he has the timbre like Carl. Carl was the first person I thought of when I first heard him sing.

He is a poor man's Carl Wilson.  You want someone that does sound close to Carl? Justyn. Listen to his harmony vocals on Carnie's version of Heaven.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 09, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »

Hope we don't find out that the title was accidentally shortened by PBS, and that's its really "Summer's Gone WILD!"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 09, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »

His (Christian's) voice is not as strong as Carl's was, but he has the timbre like Carl. Carl was the first person I thought of when I first heard him sing.

Me too.  Sometimes he sounds just like him.

I really like the current 50th tour line-up though.  We'll see how it pans out with those guys singing Carl's parts.  Don't count Al out either - he and Carl use to trade off high parts (i.e Don't Worry Baby) in the early 70's.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 09, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »

Hope we don't find out that the title was accidentally shortened by PBS, and that's its really "Summer's Gone WILD!"
well as long as it's like "Girls gone wild" then I won't complain TOO much..lol
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 09, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »

I like Summer's Gone as a song title, not as an album title, the meaning is too negative, as the not so subtle message of the Beach Boys' reunions is that the summer is back.  For what it's worth, if Summer's Gone is about getting old and looking back on the joyful days (and loves) of summer in one's youth, I'm all for it. 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »

I think Summer's Gone would be an exceptional title.  Matt Jardine is great, would love to see him in the mix.  I think Christian Love would be fine in there as well, but I have never thought he sounds remotely close to Carl.  I know that he tries to achieve that sound on things like Cool Head, Warm Heart, but he just doesn't come close.
"Remotely"? Come on! His voice is not as strong as Carl's was, but he has the timbre like Carl. Carl was the first person I thought of when I first heard him sing.

He is a poor man's Carl Wilson.  You want someone that does sound close to Carl? Justyn. Listen to his harmony vocals on Carnie's version of Heaven.
Poor man, rich man? The point is, he does "remotely" sound like Carl.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 09, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »

Just wondering what others think about the context of ''Summer's Gone'?

To you does it mean.

- Many years of summers that have past.
-This particular years summer has finished.
-A word play, combination of both of the above.

Huh
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »

It's almost too perfect.  It's like Mike said "it has to have "summer" in the title", and Brian said "it has to be kind of sad".   Obviously this has been debated endlessly already as far as what kind of tone the album should have, but it should be clear there's a wing of the audience who wants fun & sun, and then there's a wing who wants paralyzing melancholy, and if this title reflects an intention to actually recognize & play to both those sides of the BBs base, I think it's kind of brilliant.  Then again maybe I'm reading too much into it.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 09, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »

I think Summer's Gone would be an exceptional title.  Matt Jardine is great, would love to see him in the mix.  I think Christian Love would be fine in there as well, but I have never thought he sounds remotely close to Carl.  I know that he tries to achieve that sound on things like Cool Head, Warm Heart, but he just doesn't come close.

He is a poor man's Carl Wilson.  You want someone that does sound close to Carl? Justyn. Listen to his harmony vocals on Carnie's version of Heaven.
Poor man, rich man? The point is, he does "remotely" sound like Carl.

yeah, I will give you remotely. But Justyn is much closer

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SBonilla
« Reply #635 on: March 09, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »

Just wondering what others think about the context of ''Summer's Gone'?

To you does it mean.

- Many years of summers that have past.
-This particular years summer has finished.
-A word play, combination of both of the above.

Huh

It doesn't mean anything to me. It's an intriguing title, but I don't want to occupy myself with speculation.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »

Some of you guys are so clever, it's fun just reading the thread.

Now look, we have some inside people here, PBS and the press
let it out already, rules of fairplay, somebody tell us if "Summer's Gone"
is a song title, unrelated television title, album title or what,

I know there are people who know the answer, PBS Leaks like I don't know
what, public television doesn't care a whit about rock band politics or secrecy.

The press has published it, can someone tell us if its just a television producer's
documentary title, or if the title is related to a song or album.

Absolutely, we will find out in a couple days, worst comes to worst, we can
get ahold of some of the PBS people and find out.

So what's the date? July 7 ?

So folks, we can surmise a few things, a little bit more of the album is in
the can, than we were told, or they couldn't have made that commitment
with the television people. Also by that date, we all have vcr's we will have a
piece of the album to evaluate by that date.

Someone said it's a great demographic with baby boomers and disposable income
brilliant analysis. But I still think, there will be at least one other media source by that
date, its a great great demographic, but you don't have to give public television exclusives
like you do with regular networks, there will be another media outlet around that date on
radio or elsewhere on tv.

MY GOD! We'll have the bloody thing in our hands by July isin't this fantastic!
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 09, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »

It's almost too perfect.  It's like Mike said "it has to have "summer" in the title", and Brian said "it has to be kind of sad".   Obviously this has been debated endlessly already as far as what kind of tone the album should have, but it should be clear there's a wing of the audience who wants fun & sun, and then there's a wing who wants paralyzing melancholy, and if this title reflects an intention to actually recognize & play to both those sides of the BBs base, I think it's kind of brilliant.  Then again maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Really well put and made me excited about this potentially being the title, though we are as in the dark as ever.  Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 09, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »

Good title (and I'd wager it'd be a song title at least), but lets not get ahead of ourselves!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 09, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »

Summer's gone is great title to serve as a coda to "endless summer"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:07:44 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 09, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »

I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't either an album title, a song title, or at least a prominent lyric, but yeah, who knows.  The title of the special is an opportunity for brand reinforcement and cross-promotion so we should expect it to have some relation to the product.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 09, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »

But I don't want to occupy myself with speculation.

SMART MAN!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 09, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »

Yes, I was just suggesting that it is a possibility - but it could be the title of a track on the album, it could be a phrase used on the album, or it could just be the title of the PBS special and nothing else. Time will tell. This is all speculation, aside from the title of the PBS special.
[/quote]

This made me think of a nightmare scenario. The PBS special begins with the music video of the Beach Boys' all-new single. It starts silently, in black and white, with Brian walking down the beach in a winter coat. Brian stops and says to himself, Wow, summer's gone." Then Mike appears and says, "No, Brian, summer's not gone. We can bring it BACK!"

Begin the music, to a Kokomo-type beat, the picture goes from black and white to color and Brian and Mike take off their coats to reveal bathing suits (and shirt, thankfully). Al, Bruce, David and Jeff, along with bikini-clad girls join then, and Mike begins singing:

"We're bringin' summer back to this great big nation!
We're bringin' lots of love and good vibrations!"

Al, Bruce and Dave: "Bringin' bringin' summer back."
Jeff and Brian: "AH-Ah-ah-ah!"

End my nightmare scenario.  LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 09, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »

Yes, I was just suggesting that it is a possibility - but it could be the title of a track on the album, it could be a phrase used on the album, or it could just be the title of the PBS special and nothing else. Time will tell. This is all speculation, aside from the title of the PBS special.

This made me think of a nightmare scenario. The PBS special begins with the music video of the Beach Boys' all-new single. It starts silently, in black and white, with Brian walking down the beach in a winter coat. Brian stops and says to himself, Wow, summer's gone." Then Mike appears and says, "No, Brian, summer's not gone. We can bring it BACK!"

Begin the music, to a Kokomo-type beat, the picture goes from black and white to color and Brian and Mike take off their coats to reveal bathing suits (and shirt, thankfully). Al, Bruce, David and Jeff, along with bikini-clad girls join then, and Mike begins singing:

End my nightmare scenario.  LOL

I think it's quite likely that is what the song is like.

That is, you start with something sad --

"I hate to say that summer's gone --"

But Mr. Positivity turns it around --

"But it's coming back next year!"

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:40:50 PM by Wirestone » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: March 09, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »

End my nightmare scenario.  LOL
[/quote]
I personally think that Mike Love will be looking for depth and artistic credibility to counter his "don't f*** with the formula" repuation. These are the lyrics to Warmth of the Sun Part II (Summer's Gone)

Mike:
"It's 2012, and summer's gone...
The surfers and the california girls moved on...
They're retiring now from their nine to five's...
Whatever happened to keepin' the summer alive?"

Al:
"Summer's gone, but I sure would love to surf again,
It's OK, come on let's catch a wave in our 409s!"

Brian:
"Sadness, sorrow, Lookin' at tomorrow, and..."

All:
"Summer's gone, summer's gone, oooo ooo summer's gone..."

Mike:
"We had fun, fun, fun in our little deuce coupes,
But It's Over Now."

These leaked lyrics demonstrate beyond any doubt that The Beach Boys will not just be going for the fun and sun feel. Mike's lyrical style still references old Beach Boys tunes as it did back in 1990, but he is doing it in a very Brian-esque lyrical idiom. The leak that I heard is extremely melancholy and is in a minor key. He even let Brian do his "Til I Die"-esque bridge about sadness, sorrow, et cetera.

- B00ts
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 09, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »

LOL LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 09, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »

Brian:
"Sadness, sorrow, Lookin' at tomorrow, and..."

I will be so sad if this isn't on the album!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:02:21 PM by Wirestone » Logged
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 09, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »

Just heard some exclusive information.....this new album is going to be the band's first to feature new material in twenty years!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:08 PM »

Bear in mind that when the first graphics for the reunion turned up, a lot of folk assumed the new album was called Celebration. What do we know for sure about any potential title ? Nothing. Could be called Summer's Gone, could be called Do It Again, could be called... oh, That's Why God Made The Radio. Given past efforts, could be called The Pendletones: Don't Give Us Any Sh*t.

Frankly, I hope they call it We Were Nearly Called The Woodies.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: March 09, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »

Bear in mind that when the first graphics for the reunion turned up, a lot of folk assumed the new album was called Celebration. What do we know for sure about any potential title ? Nothing. Could be called Summer's Gone, could be called Do It Again, could be called... oh, That's Why God Made The Radio. Given past efforts, could be called The Pendletones: Don't Give Us Any Sh*t.

Frankly, I hope they call it We Were Nearly Called The Woodies.
The Beach Boys: Stars and Stripes Volume VI is my best guess. Or "East St. Louis."

- B00ts
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx