gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055720 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »

The Beach Boys however were a legitimate band
Monkees too...

No, they were a manufactured band.  They didn't all form together in Peter Tork's garage; they were hired actors on a TV show.  Sure, they had musical ability and I enjoy some of their songs, but there is a reason why they are referred to as the "Pre-fab Four"...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »

hh...no problem (and I saw your profanity-laced unedited post...heh)...my point was that I am not happy...right.  They might have created a marvelous signal to the ages with a brief small final perfection.
More likely there will be a bunch of dull songs with whatever electronic effects for smoothing.  

On the other hand, maybe Brian will revert to the fart synth and give us a weird final blast...  [dreaming]

Heh, I figured I need to cut down on the profanity on here.  LOL

Well, it all depends on how you like TLOS, the last blast of BW songwriting we've had. I happen to think it's lovely and bodes well, although not without the caveats Mike's Beard states - you could blame Scott Bennett for the lyrics. But then I never get the hate for Foskett here (it's not like anyone else in The BB's circle can do it as well, I don't rate Matt Jardine that much and he comes closest), and fans like to gripe, as drbeachboy says.

IDK, people here go on about some formula for Brian's records since BWPS, the whole 'acapella opener-few songs-progressive one-lets put the bass harmonica on-few more songs-instrumental-acapella closer, and let's make into a quasi-suite if we can' as if it's such a common, tired formula for music making? For starters, Brian wants it that way. And, point me to more (Beach Boys or otherwise) records which work in the same way, please.

Why has liking BW's solo work suddenly become the unfashionable position to take?

Around the same time that praising Mike and slagging off Van Dyke became fashionable, I guess.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 06, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

Monkees too...

No, they were a manufactured band.  They didn't all form together in Peter Tork's garage; they were hired actors on a TV show.  Sure, they had musical ability and I enjoy some of their songs, but there is a reason why they are referred to as the "Pre-fab Four"...

The way they came together may have been unconventional and even "manufactured" but they eventually developed into a working unit that put out some good music that was written and played by the actual members.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 06, 2012, 01:23:18 PM »

The general public doesn't care any more about the Beach Boys' reunion than about, say, the Monkees reunion last year -- possibly less, because there hadn't been a band calling itself the Monkees touring in the intervening time, and people actually know the names of the individual Monkees.

Well sure--the Monkees were actors on a popular TV show.  Of course people will know their names.  The Beach Boys however were a legitimate band
On all of "Headquarters",all of "Picses" except "hard to believe", parts of "Birds bees", a couple songs off of "Head" and all of "Jutus" they were a legitimate band as well as some outakes that ended up on the "missing Links" cd series and some of the songs from 33 1/3 monkees per revolution tv special..and in their live performances augmenteed in recent years with other musicians like the beach boys...and they sang on ALL the monkees songs,although they didn't sing the songs together you have at least one member per song sometimes all 4,sure  the first two albums "Monkees" and "more of the monkees" and their last "changes" and "pool it"  had "fake background singers" but the other albums from "head quarters" to "monkees presents" and "justus" they sang their own background singing..so those albums are just as legitimate as anything the Beach Boys released..
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 06, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »

Monkees too...

The way they came together may have been unconventional and even "manufactured" but they eventually developed into a working unit that put out some good music that was written and played by the actual members.
That's what I meant.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: March 06, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »

I'm frankly, a little concerned that the album will be finished at all. 

Sitting here listening to "Still I Dream of It"--I wouldn't mind if they re-recorded this one.  A song of this calibre would absolutely knock critics/new listeners/new fans/old fans out of the park.  I almost wish this song never was released in any form--either the demo or the version that appears on "Adult/Child"....to have them lay this song on us for this album--never hearing it before--would have been huge.

You don't have the 1993 box set, do you ?  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »

I'm frankly, a little concerned that the album will be finished at all. 

Sitting here listening to "Still I Dream of It"--I wouldn't mind if they re-recorded this one.  A song of this calibre would absolutely knock critics/new listeners/new fans/old fans out of the park.  I almost wish this song never was released in any form--either the demo or the version that appears on "Adult/Child"....to have them lay this song on us for this album--never hearing it before--would have been huge.

You don't have the 1993 box set, do you ?  Cheesy

haha D'oh!  They released it first there, didn't they?  Well, let's hope they play it on stage...along with "Shortnin' Bread!"  Cool
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 06, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »

hh...no problem (and I saw your profanity-laced unedited post...heh)...my point was that I am not happy...right.  They might have created a marvelous signal to the ages with a brief small final perfection.
More likely there will be a bunch of dull songs with whatever electronic effects for smoothing.  

On the other hand, maybe Brian will revert to the fart synth and give us a weird final blast...  [dreaming]

Well, it all depends on how you like TLOS, the last blast of BW songwriting we've had. I happen to think it's lovely and bodes well, although not without the caveats Mike's Beard states - you could blame Scott Bennett for the lyrics. But then I never get the hate for Foskett here (it's not like anyone else in The BB's circle can do it as well, I don't rate Matt Jardine that much and he comes closest), and fans like to gripe, as drbeachboy says.

IDK, people here go on about some formula for Brian's records since BWPS, the whole 'acapella opener-few songs-progressive one-lets put the bass harmonica on-few more songs-instrumental-acapella closer, and let's make into a quasi-suite if we can' as if it's such a common, tired formula for music making? For starters, Brian wants it that way. And, point me to more (Beach Boys or otherwise) records which work in the same way, please.

Why has liking BW's solo work suddenly become the unfashionable position to take?

Around the same time that praising Mike and slagging off Van Dyke became fashionable, I guess.

I remember when it were all fields around here....  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: March 06, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »

On all of "Headquarters",all of "Picses" except "hard to believe", parts of "Birds bees", a couple songs off of "Head" and all of "Jutus" they were a legitimate band as well as some outakes that ended up on the "missing Links" cd series and some of the songs from 33 1/3 monkees per revolution tv special..and in their live performances augmenteed in recent years with other musicians like the beach boys...and they sang on ALL the monkees songs,although they didn't sing the songs together you have at least one member per song sometimes all 4,sure  the first two albums "Monkees" and "more of the monkees" and their last "changes" and "pool it"  had "fake background singers" but the other albums from "head quarters" to "monkees presents" and "justus" they sang their own background singing..so those albums are just as legitimate as anything the Beach Boys released..

I will give you that the Monkees *tried* to pass as a legitimate band, but you simply can't erase the fact that they came together as a manufactured group for a TV series.  Their greatest successes came during the time their TV show was popular.  But once the show ended nobody (maybe unfairly) wanted to take them seriously.  That doesn't mean they didn't have any talent or don't deserve any credit.  They have their place in music history.  But because of their manufactured roots, it is unfair to draw certain comparisons between them and groups that formed on their own terms and earned their own success organically.  Which is why it's a rather moot point saying the members of the Monkees (who were all actors on a popular TV show) might be more recognizable than members of the Beach Boys.  

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 06, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »

You know, for years i've heard the argument that, contrary to what the industry and media will have us believe, piracy hasn't really harmed record sales, but so then what has? Because whenever i hear that argument, there is no real explanation given for what IS harming sales. I find it hard to believe that it would just be a general decline in interest.

There is so much talk that the record industry is really dying and on its way out, which does kind of seem to be the case. What do you all think the picture is going to look like for recording artists 10, 15, 20 years from now? Do you think that, with the exception of hugely popular (and probably manufactured) figures, that the business of recorded music is going to be similar to, say, the culture of self-publishing zines, or like what people on Etsy do with handcrafted stuff? It's so weird to think of recorded music in those terms.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 06, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »

I will give you that the Monkees *tried* to pass as a legitimate band, but you simply can't erase the fact that they came together as a manufactured group for a TV series.  Their greatest successes came during the time their TV show was popular.  But once the show ended nobody (maybe unfairly) wanted to take them seriously.  That doesn't mean they didn't have any talent or don't deserve any credit.  They have their place in music history.  But because of their manufactured roots, it is unfair to draw certain comparisons between them and groups that formed on their own terms and earned their own success organically.  Which is why it's a rather moot point saying the members of the Monkees (who were all actors on a popular TV show) might be more recognizable than members of the Beach Boys.  
ok cool..I understand where you are coming from now :-)
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 06, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »

Record sales? Who cares?
The only thing I'm holding out hope for is a good sounding album.
Farting Synths? sh*t on a dinner plate? Hasn't Brian already done this?

Having heard Brian and his band, plus Al in a live setting (Pet Sounds Tour) gives me hope for a potentially fantastic sounding record.
Add Mike and Bruces' voices to the mix and it only gets better. Songwriting and arranging are key of course, with production being the wild card that could make it or break it.
I like the fact that Joe Thomas is onboard if only for the brightness and clarity that brought to life such songs as 'Imagination", "She Says That She Needs Me", "Cry" and "Lay Down Burden". The addition of some of the "group vocal" sound to some particularly focused and inspired sonwriting has got my expectaions cautiously high. The potential is certainly there.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 06, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »

I would rather have a wall of sound production ala: andy paley sessions/today/pet sounds/summer days etc in stereo of course,maybe a mono counterpart that us fans could buy..
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: March 06, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »

I like the fact that Joe Thomas is onboard if only for the brightness and clarity that brought to life such songs as 'Imagination", "She Says That She Needs Me", "Cry" and "Lay Down Burden".

Meh.  I think Thomas was just a little too liberal with the lip gloss on Imagination's production.  Thanks to the sterile sheen, the album hasn't aged too well sonically.  

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 06, 2012, 02:56:33 PM »

And that happened exactly when hating Foskett became fashionable.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »

All the tired old saws that people use to invalidate the Monkees can just as easily apply to "legitimate" bands.  The Sex Pistols and The Clash were artificially assembled groups put together by their managers.  The Beach Boys didn't play on their records.  {Everybody} used outside writers.

The fact is The Monkees could have just been good compliant little actors, taken the money and read their lines and mimed and danced around and done their two seasons, and that would have been that.  The fact that they were talented and ambitious enough to actually become a real working band and do things for themselves is something they deserve a lot of credit for.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 06, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

I would rather have a wall of sound production ala: andy paley sessions/today/pet sounds/summer days etc in stereo of course,maybe a mono counterpart that us fans could buy..
I would absolutely LOVE to have a  mid-'60s "Today", "Summer Days" type production but I'm trying to be realistic.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 06, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »

It is really hard to do the Wall of Sound in stereo. Stereo just splits that wall apart, ala Pet Sounds.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 06, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »

Fosketts' falsetto does not cut it. I wish they could find someone who could.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 06, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »

It is really hard to do the Wall of Sound in stereo. Stereo just splits that wall apart, ala Pet Sounds.
aren't some of the Andy paley stuff in stereo? they sound pretty good if so..
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »

I think it's fine, they just need to slightly bury it in the mix. On Do It Again it stands out like a sore thumb - hell, like an amputated thumb. Like I said, I like his voice but they just need to make it less predominant.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 06, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »

They are stereo, just not Wall of Sound. The Wall of Sound is basically many instruments making one sound and is best accomplished in mono.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 06, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

They are stereo, just not Wall of Sound. The Wall of Sound is basically many instruments making one sound and is best accomplished in mono.
ok..well if it sounds like the Andy Paley stuff then I think that would be cool..or maybe a limited edition mono release from best buy or target or something like with a wall of sound mix that would be cool as well..
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 06, 2012, 03:46:03 PM »

I think it's fine, they just need to slightly bury it in the mix. On Do It Again it stands out like a sore thumb - hell, like an amputated thumb. Like I said, I like his voice but they just need to make it less predominant.

That's just it, I don't care for the quality of his voice. Not enough resonance for a falsetto. Always sounds like a commercial facsimile to my ears.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 06, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

hh...no problem (and I saw your profanity-laced unedited post...heh)...my point was that I am not happy...right.  They might have created a marvelous signal to the ages with a brief small final perfection.

On the other hand, maybe Brian will revert to the fart synth and give us a weird final blast...  [dreaming]

That's just it, I don't care for the quality of his voice. Not enough resonance for a falsetto. Always sounds like a commercial facsimile to my ears.

They need Matt Jardine.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx