gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:38:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055865 times)
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 05, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »

The Monkees are not a good comp to the Beach Boys.  I like them OK, but it's not even close.  I see where you were going with it, but I disagree, strongly.   
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »

How about we all just wait and see?
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 05, 2012, 07:24:56 PM »

The Beach Boys have been pegged as a golden oldies band since 1973. With the exception of one nostalgic mega hit 25 years ago and the album that rode it's coattails, nothing of new material has sold huge numbers since their '60s heyday. This new album is not going to change that. It will sell to the faithfull, gather critical repsect if it's good, be dumped upon if it's bad and be be forgotten by the world at large within a year of it being released. I love The Beach Boys but dude, reality check time.

Yes but WALL OF TEXT

WTF?

It seemed like for every reasonable reality check regarding the commercial prospects of the new BBs album, there was a wall of text in response.

Yeah it was kind of a smarmy insulting jibe at me. Because I hold a minority view that the new album could be
a very very successful,even historic album.

Also because I have made long posts, been long winded and passionate on the subject. Although
normally I don't post here that much. This particular thread was of great interest to me. So several
have inferred, I am nuts or delusional, because my view of the album's commercial potential did not
agree with the majority view. Therefore it was OK to insult me as well as my opinion. Particularly when
I repeated and expounded on my reasoning. Reality check indeed.

We'll all know soon enough. Apparently there is no new information regarding the album to discuss instead.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 05, 2012, 08:34:46 PM »

The Beach Boys have been pegged as a golden oldies band since 1973. With the exception of one nostalgic mega hit 25 years ago and the album that rode it's coattails, nothing of new material has sold huge numbers since their '60s heyday. This new album is not going to change that. It will sell to the faithfull, gather critical repsect if it's good, be dumped upon if it's bad and be be forgotten by the world at large within a year of it being released. I love The Beach Boys but dude, reality check time.

Yes but WALL OF TEXT
nothing wrong with hope and positivism regarding the beachboys.....we all have our hopes and expectations for this thing as it unfolds.

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing,  maybe the best of things"
......Andy Dufresne.....

WTF?

It seemed like for every reasonable reality check regarding the commercial prospects of the new BBs album, there was a wall of text in response.

Yeah it was kind of a smarmy insulting jibe at me. Because I hold a minority view that the new album could be

Also because I have made long posts, been long winded and passionate on the subject. Although
normally I don't post here that much. This particular thread was of great interest to me. So several
have inferred, I am nuts or delusional, because my view of the album's commercial potential did not
agree with the majority view. Therefore it was OK to insult me as well as my opinion. Particularly when
I repeated and expounded on my reasoning. Reality check indeed.

We'll all know soon enough. Apparently there is no new information regarding the album to discuss instead.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 05, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »

1 million over the course of several months/a couple years might be possible, but platinum right out of the gate? Not since the 90s.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:37 AM »

They should give the album away with concert tickets like Prince did. Could be very successful that way.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2012, 04:08:23 AM »

It could be. But even if it is...it won't be selling 2+ million copies. It may not even be recognised as an historic album until well after the event.

Not everyone recognised Pet Sounds, Revolver, Highway 61 Revisited, Dark Side of the moon (to pluck a few examples from my grey matter) as being landmark albums until some time had passed.

And, for myriad reasons, music just doesn't sell well these days.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 06, 2012, 05:10:08 AM »

It could be. But even if it is...it won't be selling 2+ million copies. It may not even be recognised as an historic album until well after the event.

Not everyone recognised Pet Sounds, Revolver, Highway 61 Revisited, Dark Side of the moon (to pluck a few examples from my grey matter) as being landmark albums until some time had passed.

And, for myriad reasons, music just doesn't sell well these days.

Well said. I happen to agree with you. There are probably even a couple of current bands doing what will become classics
I just don't have a clue who it might be.

The thing about this new Beach Boy album, there were lots of classic albums in the 60's 70's a golden age. This is not
a golden age for rock, so that's what's exciting, they don't make many classics like they used to.

And as far as the taking a couple years to sell a million, I agree with that also, I don't think it's likely they sell several
million in the first six months, unless they really get lucky and take off.

I am dying for some more news, song titles, descriptions of the sound, when a single might leak or some 30 second clips.
More info on writers credits, number of tracks to be included on the album. Expected finish date or release date.
SBonilla
« Reply #408 on: March 06, 2012, 05:33:20 AM »

...when a single might leak..

Oh, the things we expect.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 06, 2012, 05:35:57 AM »

The industry seems to be getting good at shutting down leaks - The new Spiritualized album has been in the hands of the press since November, and nothing. TSS didn't leak, either. I guess it's all ready when it's ready, just like with TSS

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SBonilla
« Reply #410 on: March 06, 2012, 05:53:07 AM »

The industry seems to be getting good at shutting down leaks - The new Spiritualized album has been in the hands of the press since November, and nothing. TSS didn't leak, either. I guess it's all ready when it's ready, just like with TSS

I think about the upcoming tour and album; and I like the feeling of anticipation and excitement.  Maybe I'm nostalgic but please, let me wonder.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 06, 2012, 05:59:18 AM »

I don't know why you guys are spending so much time discussing how the wheels or whatever are greased for one last big album from the BBs. It's going to sell poorly, even if it does have a generous first week helping from industry-wide interviews/advertisements.

i'm not talking 'Summer in Paradise level' of poor sales, but half a million worldwide would far exceed my expectations. It'll go top 30 for one week in the USA, one week top 20 in the UK and then plummet until heavily discounted.

This is, of course, no reflection on the music. I am assuming that there will be a few tracks with by-the-numbers plasticky-trebly stratocaster surf-twangs and poorly-mixed drums, but i'm also hoping for a couple of moments of genuine inspiration.

#cohenrant

D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 06, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »

Good points, and consider...

The news seems to indicate that the group will act as slaves to the concept of a 12-song album.  Brian Wilson and the other 70-year-olds creating 12 incredible new songs?  Give me a break.
The market will sink it...justly so.

They should have finished their career with a great 2-sided single.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 06, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »

Oh please. Like you aren't even a little bit happy about a new Beach Boys album.

I know, it's weak trolling, but I'm bedbound and bored  Grin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:46:30 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 06, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »

[/quote

I think about the upcoming tour and album; and I like the feeling of anticipation and excitement.  Maybe I'm nostalgic but please, let me wonder.

Agreed.  Sit back for a minute and rememeber that we will never experience this "anticipation" again.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:56:32 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:41 AM »

hh...no problem (and I saw your profanity-laced unedited post...heh)...my point was that I am not happy...right.  They might have created a marvelous signal to the ages with a brief small final perfection.
More likely there will be a bunch of dull songs with whatever electronic effects for smoothing.  

On the other hand, maybe Brian will revert to the fart synth and give us a weird final blast...  [dreaming]
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 06, 2012, 08:10:13 AM »

hh...no problem (and I saw your profanity-laced unedited post...heh)...my point was that I am not happy...right.  They might have created a marvelous signal to the ages with a brief small final perfection.
More likely there will be a bunch of dull songs with whatever electronic effects for smoothing. 

On the other hand, maybe Brian will revert to the fart synth and give us a weird final blast...  [dreaming]
Well, maybe you will have a great single along with an album. I take it that you would rather them go out with SIP as their last album? If Brian gives us anything on par with TLOS, that will be fine with me. And what if we get Farting Synths and Autotune vocals, then what? It's a dirty shame, they get criticized for everything they do; good, bad or indifferent.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 06, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »

Here's what the new album will consist of - 2 or 3 really good tracks (probably ballads), a cover of an oldie (be it one of theirs or another group's), several 'fun in the sun' retreads where Mike will namecheck old song titles as he nasals it up, the almost now obligatory 'Smile style' progressive track which may or may not work, several really bad songs with Foskett's hideous "OOOOOWHHHHWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO" falsetto running wild, a nice accapella number (probably towards the end), inaudible rhythm guitar from Al Jardine, a slushy Bruce number (if he gets a look in songwriting wise), subtle and not so subtle lyrical references to Brian's history of mental illness and a handfull of songs that will be forgotten by the listener as soon as they are over.

This is much more likely than Pet Sounds 2.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 06, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »

hh...no problem (and I saw your profanity-laced unedited post...heh)...my point was that I am not happy...right.  They might have created a marvelous signal to the ages with a brief small final perfection.

On the other hand, maybe Brian will revert to the fart synth and give us a weird final blast...  [dreaming]

Heh, I figured I need to cut down on the profanity on here.  LOL

Well, it all depends on how you like TLOS, the last blast of BW songwriting we've had. I happen to think it's lovely and bodes well, although not without the caveats Mike's Beard states - you could blame Scott Bennett for the lyrics. But then I never get the hate for Foskett here (it's not like anyone else in The BB's circle can do it as well, I don't rate Matt Jardine that much and he comes closest), and fans like to gripe, as drbeachboy says.

IDK, people here go on about some formula for Brian's records since BWPS, the whole 'acapella opener-few songs-progressive one-lets put the bass harmonica on-few more songs-instrumental-acapella closer, and let's make into a quasi-suite if we can' as if it's such a common, tired formula for music making? For starters, Brian wants it that way. And, point me to more (Beach Boys or otherwise) records which work in the same way, please.

Why has liking BW's solo work suddenly become the unfashionable position to take?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 06, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »

My post was done slightly tongue in cheek (apart from the bit about Foskett).
I do like quite a lot of Brian's solo stuff but not to the degree where I feel that it can hold a candle to what he was doing in his prime.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: March 06, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »

Here's what the new album will consist of - 2 or 3 really good tracks (probably ballads), a cover of an oldie (be it one of theirs or another group's), several 'fun in the sun' retreads where Mike will namecheck old song titles as he nasals it up, the almost now obligatory 'Smile style' progressive track which may or may not work, several really bad songs with Foskett's hideous "OOOOOWHHHHWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO" falsetto running wild, a nice accapella number (probably towards the end), inaudible rhythm guitar from Al Jardine, a slushy Bruce number (if he gets a look in songwriting wise), subtle and not so subtle lyrical references to Brian's history of mental illness and a handfull of songs that will be forgotten by the listener as soon as they are over.

This is much more likely than Pet Sounds 2.

I'm not sure how much I agree with this, but this still sounds better than "Summer In Paradise" or "Still Crusin'" or many other projects they've done, and I'm not sure whether this is a good or bad thing. Smiley

Musicianship-wise, I don't think any of these guys will figure prominently apart from any lead guitar parts from David. Musicianship has never been their thing much, regardless of how good or bad they are at their instruments. (For the record, I used to think Al was probably a solid rhythm guitarist and not much more, but I watched a show a few years ago where he did a few early-era leads that sounded like like Carl/David, so Al probably *could* be a more prominent guitarist if he wanted to).

The description we've heard of Brian simply cutting some backing tracks last year and having those as the basis for some of the new BB songs, that might be a good way to go. That is, if Brian is just using whatever is his "new" stuff (whether new is truly new or partly re-treaded old stuff he wrote) as the basis for the album, it might give us an approximation of what it would sound like if they had been sporadically doing albums the past 20 years and just did another one, as opposed to doing a bunch of songs tuned specifically for an "anniversary" album (e.g. "Brian's Back.... Again!!!!").

I did like hearing in the one Mike interview that Al is featured on some leads. They should really feature him prominently on vocals, that's his strong suit among those guys at this point.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:29:49 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: March 06, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »

Good points, and consider...

The news seems to indicate that the group will act as slaves to the concept of a 12-song album.  Brian Wilson and the other 70-year-olds creating 12 incredible new songs?  Give me a break.
The market will sink it...justly so.

They should have finished their career with a great 2-sided single.

I'm optimistic about the idea that the BB's don't care how well this album does on the charts. As far as how much product they should give us, my take is that *not* doing a full album isn't going to make any theoretical "two sided single" better, so I'm all for having a full album if for no other reason than to have 12 (or however many) shots at getting a good song. I don't picture them working harder and making a better product if they confine themselves to two songs. These are the guys that went through their vaults in 1979 for "new" stuff and picked "When Girls Get Together", so I'm not convinced they could pick a good "two sided single."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: March 06, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »

The general public doesn't care any more about the Beach Boys' reunion than about, say, the Monkees reunion last year -- possibly less, because there hadn't been a band calling itself the Monkees touring in the intervening time, and people actually know the names of the individual Monkees.

Well sure--the Monkees were actors on a popular TV show.  Of course people will know their names.  The Beach Boys however were a legitimate band

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »

The Beach Boys however were a legitimate band
Monkees too...
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 06, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »

I'm frankly, a little concerned that the album will be finished at all. 

Sitting here listening to "Still I Dream of It"--I wouldn't mind if they re-recorded this one.  A song of this calibre would absolutely knock critics/new listeners/new fans/old fans out of the park.  I almost wish this song never was released in any form--either the demo or the version that appears on "Adult/Child"....to have them lay this song on us for this album--never hearing it before--would have been huge.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:11:08 PM by Justin » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx