gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:44:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055815 times)
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »

Congratulations on telling us what we all knew anyway. Your point is ?
Read the thread and you'll see exactly what my point is. People pissing and moaning that every song should be brand spanking new. That ain't gonna happen in Beach Boys world. Why argue this stuff. If you know your Beach Boys history, you know that there is always a good chance of old songs being used on new albums.
at wasn't the point I was making at all. I think everyone knows the album will feature some material familiar to "collectors." My point was simply that I would prefer the album be an all-new recording, with only the current lineup performing. No ghostly, edited in vocals, please.
My point entirely, I'm not moaning I welcome any new album, exactly as they want it, Just my personal preference for a new song cycle.
Same here. I will be happy with anything the boys put out, and I am well aware of their pedigree, often finishing older songs for a new album.

The only thing that has me worried is the choice of "Do it Again" as a lead-off promo (hoping it will be on the album only as a bonus track). There is also a history here - Postcard from California is riddled with remakes and Al seems to still be in that mindset; the last album we got from the Boys was Stars and Stripes, which was all remakes.

If the group wants to use a Carl vocal, that's a-OK with me, especially since it is a previously unheard song. I am actually a big fan of "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love." I just hope they don't go back to the well of old songs and old ideas too often for the new record.

They already led off an album with "Do it Again," and that album was 20/20. See my point?
Real Love was pretty good, but hey I'm a BB's fan, I expect better than alright. Thats how much I respect these guys. If an old song 9s reworked then we will all have a jaundiced view of it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »

Andrew please explain one thing, Soul Searchin was a debacle why ? it sounded good on GIOMH, are you saying
Wilson and company scrubbed some BBoys vocals to make it just a duet for the solo album, is that why you think its
blasphemy?

The original BB backing vox were scrubbed, and they were far superior to what Brian did.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »

Andrew please explain one thing, Soul Searchin was a debacle why ? it sounded good on GIOMH, are you saying
Wilson and company scrubbed some BBoys vocals to make it just a duet for the solo album, is that why you think its
blasphemy?

The original BB backing vox were scrubbed, and they were far superior to what Brian did.

Oh that is nasty. He made a duet with his brother, but scrubbed other parts by the BBoys, that is kind of
awful. Because it's a very good song, and wow that's too bad. I can see the more you peel the onion, there
are reasons for hurt feelings everywhere. Happily everybody has gotten over it. At least to where they are
all digging the new album.

As to the Free As A bird Real Love example, I Love them, the Beatles doing two new songs! My point was
they got a really bad inferior tape to work with, a mono cassette, down a couple or three generations. There
were cleaner copies, and better takes they could have used, and the two reunion songs would have sounded
better, but the Beatles were unaware of that. They did not have an Alan Boyd kind of guy, ferreting out that
kind of issue.

Jardine only mentioned Carl Wilson on the one song, the wave song that he (Jardine) wrote. But I don't think
that excludes the possibility of the Beach Boys using "She's A Mystery" or some second song featuring Carl Wilson.
The only thing Jardine excluded in his comments, was using a Dennis Wilson vocal. Maybe they just don't have
any Dennis Wilson to work with. Carl Wilson's beautiful tenor and voice timbre is unmistakable however. I hope
they can use his voice on two songs, it will really give the effect to the listener of a complete new Beach Boys
album, current and new but still with Carl Wilson.I just can't wait, I need to go do something else for a bit
come back in a week see what we have learned.

So anyway we learned, there will be a Jardine song, so my question is OK, Brian will be the one with the most
songwriting credits, but we know for sure, Mike Love and Al Jardine are getting some writing credits also.
Can we assume that Mr Disney Girls will get one song after 46 years of loyal service, or does his song get bumped
with Brian back in the studio? I'd say one song on this album for a songwriter has to be worth, several hundred
grand, Does Johnston get a salary on the road, or a split? I heard he is a nice guy, I hope he gets a piece of
the tour this is a big payday,
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »

It never sat well with me that SIP or I guess Stars And Stripes was the last Beach Boys album, so I'm pretty well satisfied with the way things are going overall.  As others have said, I'd prefer the archival tracks stayed on archival releases myself, but I won't complain.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »

blasphemy?

IIRC, Brian isn't even on the Beach Boys' version of SS. It's Mike (very audible), Carl, Al, Bruce and Matt Jardine.

The same thing happened, incidentally, on the version of "In My Room" that the band recorded with Tammy Wynette. It was a gorgeous version, with some great stuff from Carl. When Tammy's version of the song turned up on a tribute album, the band's voices had been replaced by a wall-o-Brians.

blasphemy?

Oh that is nasty. He made a duet with his brother, but scrubbed other parts by the BBoys, that is kind of
awful. Because it's a very good song, and wow that's too bad. I can see the more you peel the onion, there
are reasons for hurt feelings everywhere. Happily everybody has gotten over it. At least to where they are
all digging the new album.

I don't know if there were actually hurt feelings over that. The band had refused to finish or put out the track, so Brian went ahead and did it. I've never heard that anyone in the band felt one way or another about it.

Jardine only mentioned Carl Wilson on the one song, the wave song that he (Jardine) wrote. But I don't think
that excludes the possibility of the Beach Boys using "She's A Mystery" or some second song featuring Carl Wilson.

The song is called "You're Still a Mystery." The lead vocal is by Brian, with Mike adding some key lines. I don't recall Carl being especially audible in it. I don't doubt he's there, but it's hardly a "featuring Carl Wilson track."

So anyway we learned, there will be a Jardine song, so my question is OK, Brian will be the one with the most
songwriting credits, but we know for sure, Mike Love and Al Jardine are getting some writing credits also.
Can we assume that Mr Disney Girls will get one song after 46 years of loyal service, or does his song get bumped
with Brian back in the studio? I'd say one song on this album for a songwriter has to be worth, several hundred
grand, Does Johnston get a salary on the road, or a split? I heard he is a nice guy, I hope he gets a piece of
the tour this is a big payday

Until we see a tracklist and writing credits, we don't know what will be on the album. Al's tune is clearly in contention, but who knows if it makes the cut or not? Until that interview, most of the talk had been about Brian's contributions to the album.

I believe Bruce is salaried. Also, I doubt that, even if he does have a song on the album, it would be worth "several hundred grand." I'm not sure there's money like that in writing an album track in this day and age. CDs aren't selling well, and digital sales are pretty tiny. I doubt he's on it as a writer.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »

Thanks for the correction Wirestone. As well as the info.

I know CD sales are way down, In my mind I made a few suppositions, that the forthcoming album
will be big in Europe as well as the USA and some other parts of the world. That the album is being
supported by a huge 50Th Anniv. tour. That the B Boys are getting lots of free publicity, in the New York
Times, Los Angeles Times, that much more free media will follow, and I was thinking, this album will
have a long shelf life as probably the Beach Boys final studio album. The label is hot for this, for
commercial reasons as well as historical. I was thinking 3-5 million units worldwide, and ongoing
sales as part of the catalogue and official canon, and so I very unscientifically thought, oh that's
gotta be worth several hundred grand for an album cut on here.

I should chill a bit, I had some free time, and am just excited about the forthcoming album. Unlike
other classic bands who do a project, the Beach Boys are somewhat tight lipped, but they do offer
some updates directly, and through "channels" and there is some leakage from participants or
personell from the studio , record label or other ancillary people.

This is such a rare gift, people my grandfathers age, didn't normally live past 70, let alone make a possible
masterpiece, and the sad legacy of rock, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Lennon, Keith Moon, Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson, etc etc. The surviving groups who could do something but don't. This may be the last great album
from one of the sixties era greats, unless perhaps the Stones or Simon & Garfunkel or somebody does it once more.
I know I talk a bit too much, but this is just a great thing.

My guess today, is that the performance and recording quality will be quite good, if they have some great songs
then this is a home run. People slammed and ignored the recent "Eagles" studio album. I mean they sold some copies
but spent years making it, and people seemed unhappy. I think the opposite will happen with this Beach Boys album
I can't put my finger on it, but it feels in my gut like this is gonna be huge. I Love it when some of my musical hero's
climb the charts and show people what it's really all about, take the youngsters to school, I am biased, I want this
to succeed, on paper this is about the biggest classic rock album, it's possible to make. When people talk about the
Beatles or Stones or Dylan or Spector and Leave the Beach Boys out of that top five list of all time, I don't think they
have ever liked that. This one is gonna work, and sell forever, erase the memory of the last couple Beach Boy studio
albums that were just not up to that high standard. Come on Beach Boys! Yes!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2012, 09:39:51 PM »

All this talk about using an unreleased Carl vocal, and no one has mentioned "Dancing the Night Away"? THAT was a beautiful vocal on his part. The track for that is also lovely, a rockin' little thing, and also a wonderful group vocal for the "somewhere out in Malibu" part. I'm kinda bummed that "Waves of Love" got scrapped for the Postcard re-release, but eh, so be it. Is anybody even sure "Waves of Love" was even supposed to really be a "Beach Boys" song? I know Carl is on it, and Bruce (I think), but I'm pretty sure it was recorded in the mid-'90s for an Al solo thing. All I know is I hope this album isn't dragged down by politics and makes it so we have to get one solo "Mike", one solo "Al" and one solo "Bruce" written track to please everybody. Hopefully they just pick the best material available, and if it happens to mostly be written by Brian, than so be it, and if Carl happens to be on a few tracks, so be it, and if he doesn't, that's ok too, because they should pick the best stuff, and I don't think Carl or Dennis will be forgotten any time soon.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »

All I know is I hope this album isn't dragged down by politics and makes it so we have to get one solo "Mike", one solo "Al" and one solo "Bruce" written track to please everybody.

Well, that's up to "executive producer" Love, I guess.

I don't know how you avoid a bit of that. I mean, all the guys are writing (not sure about Bruce). But people want an album with Brian at the helm. So you have to balance that somehow.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »

Lead vocal on that is Brian.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »

I was thinking 3-5 million units worldwide, and ongoing
sales as part of the catalogue and official canon, and so I very unscientifically thought, oh that's

LOL  Where to begin? Still Cruisin' is the only studio album since Pet Sounds that we know has sold over 1 million copies worldwide. That relied on the massive success of 'Kokomo' and also featured three classic tracks. Also, 3-5 million in album sales worldwide is enough to get you into yearly top ten lists....so you're talking Rihanna territory there.

I think the tour will give it a boost and such, but I'd be shocked if it did any better than 300K worldwide and that's being very, very generous. It could just as well sink below 100K worldwide. A solo songwriting credit on one song on the album won't really amount to much to be honest. We're talking like a few grand.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2012, 11:44:22 PM »

Is this Waves of Love song on Jardine's album available online somewhere for me to listen to? Never heard this one, I'd like to listen to it and imagine a full Beach Boys recording of it to get a pseudo feel for what the new album will be like.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2012, 11:56:50 PM »

Is this Waves of Love song on Jardine's album available online somewhere for me to listen to? Never heard this one, I'd like to listen to it and imagine a full Beach Boys recording of it to get a pseudo feel for what the new album will be like.

I've looked. Haven't found. "You're Still a Mystery" was out there at one point , but Brother Records has pulled it down now, which could suggest something.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »

Don't know whether it's been booted, but it was slated to be a bonus track on Al's re-released album until that got canned.

Aren't BRI pretty astute with finding things on youtube nowadays?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 26, 2012, 12:03:55 AM »

Yeah, I mean, sh*t -- if BRI was as good at uploading as they are at taking down, Beach Boys Central might even be a reality this year!
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »

Ahh, I see. I thought it was released/booted. That's a bummer.

Would looove to see Still A Mystery on the new album, though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:08:43 AM by NatureShowInStereo » Logged
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 26, 2012, 01:13:39 AM »

LOL  Where to begin? Still Cruisin' is the only studio album since Pet Sounds that we know has sold over 1 million copies worldwide. That relied on the massive success of 'Kokomo' and also featured three classic tracks. Also, 3-5 million in album sales worldwide is enough to get you into yearly top ten lists....so you're talking Rihanna territory there.

I think the tour will give it a boost and such, but I'd be shocked if it did any better than 300K worldwide and that's being very, very generous. It could just as well sink below 100K worldwide. A solo songwriting credit on one song on the album won't really amount to much to be honest. We're talking like a few grand.

I didn't realize the sales numbers for the Beach Boys had sunk that low, but those last couple studio albums were not that great,
and maybe I am just dead wrong, but they are gonna do much better than a couple hundred thousand units, huge free media coverage
the big tour, and supposedly the high quality of this new album, and the drama of the reunion, and the swansong, if this album is as good
as they say it's going to be, I still say 1-2 million units worldwide.

Didn't Brian Wilson presents Smile 2004 surpass between one and two million worldwide. Now that was 8 years ago
but still, this has the Beach Boy name, and everything else, if the album is good, they will do well. I hope.

Now I realize you were quoting numbers for sales going back to the late sixties, I find that hard to believe that some of those albums
didn't do better, but that best of package sold several million , a few years ago, No if this album is good, they'll do a couple million
world wide, too many good things are happening, the stars are right this time.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2012, 01:40:06 AM »

I didn't realize the sales numbers for the Beach Boys had sunk that low, but those last couple studio albums were not that great,
and maybe I am just dead wrong, but they are gonna do much better than a couple hundred thousand units, huge free media coverage
the big tour, and supposedly the high quality of this new album, and the drama of the reunion, and the swansong, if this album is as good
as they say it's going to be, I still say 1-2 million units worldwide.

Didn't Brian Wilson presents Smile 2004 surpass between one and two million worldwide. Now that was 8 years ago
but still, this has the Beach Boy name, and everything else, if the album is good, they will do well. I hope.

Now I realize you were quoting numbers for sales going back to the late sixties, I find that hard to believe that some of those albums
didn't do better, but that best of package sold several million , a few years ago, No if this album is good, they'll do a couple million
world wide, too many good things are happening, the stars are right this time.
3-5 million? No chance. Outside of a small group of music fans, no-one gives a sh*t about a BB's reunion I'm afraid. The world has moved on check out the sales of the last Who album in 2006, their first since 1982. The world yawned, scratched it's arse and went back to bed.
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2012, 01:41:28 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/USCP/PNI/Features/2012-02-26-PNI0226ae-beach-boysPNIBrd_ST_U.htm
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2012, 01:51:27 AM »

'Wilson says, "I don't think we're gonna do 'Smile.' I personally don't want to. We're not gonna do 'Smile.'"
At this point, Love steps in.
"Brian, you don't think we might do one song, like 'Heroes and Villains' or something?" he asks.
"Oh, absolutely," Wilson says. "I thought you meant the whole thing. Of course we can do 'Heroes and Villains.'"

Oh Bri.  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2012, 04:07:48 AM »

Hilarious  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2012, 04:13:54 AM »

I love the sound of that. Sounds like two old cousins ought to.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2012, 04:39:43 AM »

Oddly, some of the USA today article seemed to be a verbatim reprint from the times article
the other day, but certain portions of this article seemed new.

They are getting so much press on this, and the guys  seem to be so content and into this project.
If the album is really good, I think this is gonna go big. I know conventional wisdom says, they can only
move a few hundred thousand units worldwide, and the audience for classic rock has left the station
years ago. But I think this is gonna cross over to young and old and really be a hit. As long as the album
is as good as they are making seem.I haven't been this excited since I heard SMiLe was coming out.

They sure delivered the goods on SmiLe , they are gonna deliver on the new album too Damn I can't
wait to hear the gosh darn thing.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »

I wasn't expecting much albumwise but DIA and the Grammys have raised my expectations considerably. However, even if the album is a steaming pile of crap I am very excited about the Boys getting back to together and the love going around already. Winning.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »

I wasn't expecting much albumwise but DIA and the Grammys have raised my expectations considerably. However, even if the album is a steaming pile of crap I am very excited about the Boys getting back to together and the love going around already. Winning.

That's the spirit!

The album won't be crap, it might even be the best thing they have done since the late sixties, early seventies.
I think people get sentimental as they age, and fifty years is fifty years, sadly as solo artists, it's tough for them
to even get deals, or get their work out. Once they finally started hanging out, and working, I think they started
enjoying themselves. They don't have the skills or concentration they might have had 20-30 years ago, but they
have so much experience, desire to uplift their legacy, such a good supporting team, the label seems to be 110%
behind them. The press is eating it up like candy from a baby.Modern recording technology is a big asset, I think
most of us prefer the old magnetic tape at 30 ips, but they have the best microphones, room acoustics, engineer staff
the editing capabilities now are amazing. All they need is three or four great songs, and three or four good songs
and they have a borderline masterpiece on their hands.

Some people knocked the sound, saying it was all autotuned, I didn't really here that,nor did other professionals
I work with who heard it. It might have been autotuned, but we didn't notice that. It sounded to us like the timber
of their voices had aged, but that sounded good. DIA remake I am talking about. The thing about TLOS, Wilson's
lead vocals didn't sound so hot, but he sounded better on Gershwin and Disney I don't understand that, maybe it
is the autotune. Who cares, before autotune, many other similar methods were employed, punching in, vari tape speed
the album is gonna be good. When my father was 70, about all he cared about was reading the paper or just waking
up at all. To be making a good album is fantastic! they sort of look seventy, but they seem to have the energy of
guys 10-15 years younger. Particularly Jardine and Love, Wilson looks a bit older, but he's smiling a lot and joking
in all these interviews, they seem happy.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 27, 2012, 05:57:48 AM »

'Wilson says, "I don't think we're gonna do 'Smile.' I personally don't want to. We're not gonna do 'Smile.'"
At this point, Love steps in.
"Brian, you don't think we might do one song, like 'Heroes and Villains' or something?" he asks.
"Oh, absolutely," Wilson says. "I thought you meant the whole thing. Of course we can do 'Heroes and Villains.'"

Oh Bri.  Grin

Mike Love encouraging Brian to do "Heroes And Villains".  Yet another never-thought-I'd-see-the-day.  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx