gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:02:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055988 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »

Close enough - first week of January 2008.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »

Therefore.

The January TLOS sessions didn't work out. Bob Lizik was not part of the April sessions -- at least not as depicted in the DVD. So is it crazy to extrapolate that the reason he is credited on the TLOS album is because Scott pro-tooled in bass lines from a live show?

However.

I likely overstated my case in saying the live recording was used as a foundation for the '08 studio work. While bass parts are certainly foundational, that same doc suggests that elements from the BW/SB '06 demos were also used as guides in the studio.

I'll also admit that I have no idea where live recording was done. I had thought that the only place TLOS had been played live up to that point was in London. Looking at Eric's setlist archive, I see it was also performed in Manchester and Birmingham, so recording could have been done at either site.

Finally.

The fact that "The liners make no mention of remote recording" strikes me as a weak point in this case. Many of Brian's vocals on the album come from his summer 2006 work with Scott in his house. However, Scott receives no engineering or studio credit on the record, and those sessions are not mentioned.

I believe TLOS was also performed in Australia, late 2007.  And I believe Bob's basslines were flown in from the demos, just like some of Brian's vocals.  The demos as they have been leaked are pretty elaborate & well-produced, and we know Scott and Darian worked on them pretty extensively while Brian and the rest of the band were touring Europe in the summer of '07, so it's not hard to imagine they had Bob in adding basslines at some point between 2006 and 2007.  Finally, Scott DOES receive studio credit on the record:  "Additional Production" (as well as co-mixing).

When I said studio credit, I meant that literally. Scott's home studio was not credited as a place where the album was recorded.

Good points, though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:45:24 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »

The mystery remains, however, why Scott would say that he had flown in Bob's bassline from a live show. I mean, why not from a demo, then? Or if there were "personnel issues," why even bring it up at all?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »

He didn't say it was from a live show, just that it was a 'live' bass - presumably, as opposed to sampled.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »

He didn't say it was from a live show, just that it was a 'live' bass - presumably, as opposed to sampled.

yes, or perhaps 'live' as in, all playing together

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »

It is noteworthy that Mike says that one song is as good anything they've ever done.  I hope he means it and that he's not talking meaningless hype.

As much as we'd all like Mike's statement to be proven true, I think that the chances are pretty slim that they're going to knock out something on par with 'God Only Knows' or 'Good Vibrations' or any of the classics of that era. 

Hope for the best, but prepare for something less.  And "less" is fine, as far as I'm concerned.  The body of work that Brian and Co. have produced over the last 50 years speaks for itself. Anything else that we get is gravy at this point.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2012, 12:02:11 AM »

It is noteworthy that Mike says that one song is as good anything they've ever done.  I hope he means it and that he's not talking meaningless hype.

As much as we'd all like Mike's statement to be proven true, I think that the chances are pretty slim that they're going to knock out something on par with 'God Only Knows' or 'Good Vibrations' or any of the classics of that era. 

Hope for the best, but prepare for something less.  And "less" is fine, as far as I'm concerned.  The body of work that Brian and Co. have produced over the last 50 years speaks for itself. Anything else that we get is gravy at this point.

That's what came to my mind also, when I read those comments, as good as Good Vibrations or God Only Knows?
Maybe it really is. Or close. Maybe Mike Love doesn't consider the songs from Pet Sounds or SMiLe to be their peak.
Maybe and I really have no idea, but perhaps Love thinks of California Girls or Help Me Rhonda or Warmth of the sun
as the Beach boys peak, or Holland or Friends,

Whatever the case, I am hoping, that, the Beach Boys themselves are thinking, we haven't made an album in 15-20 years
together, this could well be the last time. We'll make enough money just on the live shows, and DVD, We want our new
album to be special.

Maybe Wilson has been sandbagging a couple of great songs for some years, in case this ever happened. Or maybe
at this late date, Love and Jardine and Johnston will bring out the best Brian Wilson has to offer, even though Wilson
denied it to himself, and even without his brothers, Maybe Wilson is inspired to hit one more out of the Park.

When they start talking about a song suite to end the album, and one song flowing into another, and one song being
as good as anything they ever did, when they agree with the interviewer, that the new album, has a bit of SMile and Pet sounds
in it's ambiance or songwriting, don't tell me you're not excited. Come on!

I think these guys have always been super competitive and I have a hunch this album is important to them, that they are happy
to be in the limelight and well regarded with the Smile release, This might be special.

I have no facts or inside information. They are my homeboys, LA's favorite native sons, I'm rooting for the home team.
I think they are gonna deliver something good, not just to make a buck, SMile or Pet Sounds no I doubt it. But something
better than we thought.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »

Will this be the best album since Love You?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2012, 12:39:41 AM »

Given the competition... very likely.  Grin

RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2012, 12:43:52 AM »

Counting The SMiLE Sessions in there?  Tongue
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2012, 12:47:36 AM »

Dr. Primrose, may your faith be an inspiration to us all.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2012, 01:40:02 AM »

Well Do It Again  was a quick fix arrangement and recording to test the waters - that could maybe explain the autotune, as time wasn't plentiful to get takes 'just so'. Hopefully the album has more thought and care put  into the arrangements of the new songs. It looks like, from the studio photos, that Brian's band is on them - we haven't seen any other musicians, right - and that is heartwarming. I  just hope rushing the album for a summer release doesn't mean it's, y'know, rushed.

As I stated in my compilation post, we have reason to believe that Joe Thomas's session musicians could be on a chunk of the album's tracks. You know, the Imagination guys.

We do? Only thing I can think of is a) Joe Thomas' involvement itself and b) that drummer tweeting he was involved with Do It Again in june last year despite this not being the case on the final mix.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »

As I stated in my compilation post, we have reason to believe that Joe Thomas's session musicians could be on a chunk of the album's tracks. You know, the Imagination guys.

I don't see that as meaning the new album will sound like Imagination. That was a contemporary sound at the time and it's not anymore.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2012, 02:23:32 AM »

I don't know... if they manage something as competent as LA (Light Album) at this point I will be very happy and very surprised.
On the other hand, I can't see it possibly being any worse than KTSA or any of the albums after that.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:10 AM »

I don't know... if they manage something as competent as LA (Light Album) at this point I will be very happy and very surprised.
On the other hand, I can't see it possibly being any worse than KTSA or any of the albums after that.

How about something in the spirit of 'Still Cruisin'' then? A half-new LP with some rap. And a Beach Boys Medley. I think it's a great idea.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2012, 06:31:16 AM »

How about something in the spirit of 'Still Cruisin'' then? A half-new LP with some rap. And a Beach Boys Medley. I think it's a great idea.

Don, you missed the "C" off "rap".

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »

Don, you missed the "C" off "rap".

That was me being mild and modest as ever. These are only two of my myriad outstanding qualities.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2012, 07:42:57 AM »

Maybe the new album, is just part of a highly calculated business plan, to top off the
retirement funds, or ancillary to the other marketing, Tour, Merchandise, live DVD.
Maybe the album was simply another revenue stream, cooked up by businessmen.

I have no idea really of the behind the scenes workings. Maybe it started that way
and has evolved, because of the success of SMiLe and the joy they experienced, when
they actually sang together.

In my mind trying to walk in their shoes for a moment. I see the Beach Boys legacy as
being on an upswing after being tarnished by some lesser albums near the end of their
run. SmiLe made them hero's again. They are back on Capitol, getting full label support,
Everyone involved seems to be jazzed, Mike and Brian and Al are all giving interviews.
This has the appearance of the Beach Boys really trying to sing together, and make the
best album they can, and possibly a near great album, possibly great.

Am I wrong, is this album just a cash stream, I really feel that it's not just that. Will the
politics between them and their management, make this album just another way to make cash.

I feel the label and the band are all very excited, and smug, because they know they have a good
album on their hands.

I see they are also getting lots of free press in big publications. Beach Boys finally getting their
due with their swan song?
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »

I could be wrong, but I don't see the album as an essential part of the reunion "business plan."  If anything, it's a risk because if it's a dud it could set them back slightly.  So I hope you're right and they are sitting on something good that will only help the "cause."
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »

I was just reading wikipedia and a couple things about Joe Thomas, he produces rock video for television.
He seems like an aggressive guy who almost fits the description more of, a business man, or Don Kirshner
gets the financing in order, makes the trains run on time.

Nowhere is there any mention, he is an arranger, or musician or has actual musical credentials. He seems
more like a manager than what I think of as a record producer. But record producer is a variable term.

I think of Phil Spector, Richard Perry, Rick Rubin, Jack White, It doesn't matter to me. I Like parts of the
Imagination album, I found it to be somewhat bloated, 80's MOR sounding, and the Beach Boy covers
baffling, why do those? The Beach Boys already did them well.

So I'm not knocking the guys involvement, but I do see equal parts, Don Kirshner, Gene Landy, and Irv Azoff
more than what we typically think of as a guy, helping to arrange material, or who is known for a musical
sound as a result of his particular expertise or style.

Maybe he just see's that things get done, and cuts through red tape or visualizes the big picture. I don't know.

For me Cry, Lay Down Burden, She Says That's she needs me and Your Imagination, those four cuts, are terrific
good choice of material and execution at any rate. The Two Beach Boys remakes while sounding good, whats
the point of that? When a guy releases his first album in a decade, do we want two of the ten songs to be remakes
of successful Beach Boys tracks from the sixties?

Enough about Thomas, when do we get to hear the lead off single ? May ? when will something leak? Any chance
we'll hear something in April? Would they debut a single 6-10 weeks before the album comes out? I know they probably
wouldn't, but one can hope. Rock on Beach Boys!

I still believe, particularly after the success of TLOS, SMiLE and the DIA video, a tremendous album is not out of the question.
I can't picture them (Johnston, Love Wilson) hyping how terrific it is, if they didn't really believe it. They must all be pretty
comfortable financially, and the tour and DVD will make them a mint.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »

I don't see that as meaning the new album will sound like Imagination. That was a contemporary sound at the time and it's not anymore.

It wasn't contemporary at that time either...that was one of the reasons why I hated it on first listen. Instantly dated and sterile sounding.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »

Given Brian's run of albums since BWPS I think a great album is well within their grasp. Really at the moment we know zip about the new material. I'll not bother speculating on what might be from the info given so far in interviews. My personal preference would be that it's all new Brian Wilson compositions in collaboration with whoever he chooses and if other band member material is included it is because it merits inclusion. No remakes or finishing tracks by Dennis or Carl . All new stuff please boys.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »

Two things that come to mind as being in their favour as I read Vintagemusic's post:

1. Sufficient time has passed since their last band albums for the public at large to have forgotten the likes of BBs85, Summer In Paradise, and Stars & Stripes. In the minds of the man in the street, the Beach Boys have again come to be Pet Sounds, SMiLE and Today. The cream has risen to the top, as far as memories of the Beach Boys output in concerned.

2. Whether or not he's hands-on with the board, instructs others to do his bidding or merely passes judgement on what others lay before him in his name, Brian Wilson has reasserted himself as a producer. GIOMH might have been so-so but BWPS, TLOS, BWRiG and IKoD represent a string of albums which have all been either good, bloody good or bloody marvellous.

Almost as if BW's been in training while the Beach Boys lie low in terms of recording and effectively have their slate wiped clean by natural forces. Almost as if things are aligning themselves for everything to come together and create something wonderful.

My, this Glenfiddich is hitting the spot. Thing is, give it six months and we might all be crying into our whisky, whiskey, bourbon or meths...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:09:55 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »

Given Brian's run of albums since BWPS I think a great album is well within their grasp. Really at the moment we know zip about the new material. I'll not bother speculating on what might be from the info given so far in interviews. My personal preference would be that it's all new Brian Wilson compositions in collaboration with whoever he chooses and if other band member material is included it is because it merits inclusion. No remakes or finishing tracks by Dennis or Carl . All new stuff please boys.

Well I agree The Thomas production technique of Imagination, was dated by about a decade. Kind of MOR 80's.

Now as far as the material, as AGD pointed out, rarely if ever, has Wilson or the Beach Boys ever released an album
that didn't have some older material from the song bag included. I'd say it depends on what they have on Carl Wilson
in the can, if they have a good sounding vocal of a good tune, and they can redo some or all of the backing, and include
one or two songs that include Carl Wilson why not. But I don't know they would even consider that. I would agree the
album would benefit from mostly new songs, but good songs the public has never heard, would have to be the biggest
factor, or songs that go well together, regardless of whether it was written five or ten years ago.

An album of several remakes would be kind of a disappointment
I get the feeling, certainly Mike Love and maybe the other Beach Boys will get some co-writers
or writers credits.o obviously Wilson is the great songwriter of the bunch. I don't think anyone disagrees with that

I mean if Love really did write the lyrics to California Girls and Good Vibrations and some of those tunes, as credited
I don't see how they can block him from co writing at least one or two songs. Johnston and Jardine have written
some good Beach Boy tunes, wouldn't they get one song each perhaps.

I'd rather a see a Brian Wilson dominated album (compositionally) in the feel of Pet Sounds, who wouldn't?

My friend a Beach Boy fan and watcher, disagrees, he thinks with Love's influence we are more apt to get a Today or
Summer Days type of album. Either way wouldn't it be nice

When will descriptions of tracks or a single start to leak or some snippets? or first hand accounts

Love said in the New York Times interview dated te 17th Feb, that in a couple weeks sessions would start
and go until they were finished. I found that odd, because Wilson said a few songs were still yet to be written. Maybe
it will be very quick once they have the momentum of 7-8 songs in the can

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »

Well Do It Again  was a quick fix arrangement and recording to test the waters - that could maybe explain the autotune, as time wasn't plentiful to get takes 'just so'. Hopefully the album has more thought and care put  into the arrangements of the new songs. It looks like, from the studio photos, that Brian's band is on them - we haven't seen any other musicians, right - and that is heartwarming. I  just hope rushing the album for a summer release doesn't mean it's, y'know, rushed.

We do? Only thing I can think of is a) Joe Thomas' involvement itself and b) that drummer tweeting he was involved with Do It Again in june last year despite this not being the case on the final mix.

That's not what the drummer (Eddie Bayers) said. While there may have been a tweet or two involved, I was actually thinking of a quote from Rolling Stone article.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11177.msg216183.html#msg216183

"Beach Boys session vet Eddie Bayers says he recently played drums on new Wilson tracks slated for a Beach Boys reunion record. 'Brian's new creations are just unbelievable,' says Bayers."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:44:35 PM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx