gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:16:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055824 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

We don't know how many songs are in the can.  We've simply heard rumors of four titles.  They have been recording off and on for awhile.  David was just in the studio putting down some guitar on some track the other day.  Darian was in the studio with Brian the other day.  Who cares what song it is that Bruce likes.  We can't hear it yet anyway.  And he's not in England, he lives in California.  Mike has mentioned that he'd like to write some stuff, but we haven't heard of anything definite.  Same with Dave.  We'll get more info when they want us to have more info.  I'll repeat something here that I had to repeat over and over when we were waiting for info on TSS...Patience.

Right you are. I have no idea about anything. I got excited about the "four songs in the can" and the Johnston remark, about the one tune.
Then I watch the DIA video, and get pumped up some more.

I don't even know what methods or procedures they use, if Brian cuts the tracks, and then they come in, or its different for
every track or what. If they cut just enough, or prune it down from lots of tracks.

It's way too early, I need to chill, and wait two or three months. for some news.

The only thing is I cant help it, I have a feeling the album could be special. DIA sounds good, they sounded good on the Grammys
and I need to wait, I feel they were pretty cool about dribbling out info for the fans on Smile, and It looks like they are gonna continue
spoonfeeding the faithful with a few tidbits, AGD will see we know something

So here's the deal.

1.) Brian started recording backing tracks for some sort of project last year. This was documented by several sources.

2.) Eddie Bayers, a session player used by Imagination co-producer Joe Thomas, tweeted that he was working on new BW material.

3.) Jean Seivers, Brian's publicist, said at the time that Brian was recording some previously unreleased but already written material at Joe's studio in Illinois.

4.) In subsequent interviews, Brian talked about having written new songs, including the Shelter and Bill and Sue tunes, but in collaboration with Joe Thomas and Jeff.

5.) The Do It Again sessions likewise took place in the middle of last year.

6.) All of this happened before there was any news of an official reunion.

7.) Once that came out, news of the album started flowing fast and furious. There has been no more mention of Joe Thomas as a co-producer, but he is mentioned as co-writer of the God / Radio song.

8.) The group apparently recorded on some of Brian's stuff before the end of 2011, and they have obviously been going at it over the last month or so.

9.) Mike and Brian were writing a song in the studio a week or two ago, according to Andrew.

10.) Dave and Mike have some songs they have brought to the project and hope to include as well.

So, taking these 10 points together, let's draw some conclusions.

It seems likely that tracks for the album were recorded throughout last year by Brian, Joe and Jeff. It is probably relatively quick and easy for the group to put vocals on top of those and finish them up. Even if they only managed 4 or 5 titles, they could have finished a third to half of the album this way.

Some of those tracks might well be trunk songs, dating back to the 70s, 80s or 90s. We had official word that Brian was working on some older tunes. Now, whether those are older tunes fans are familiar with or not, who knows.

It also seems clear that Brian and Mike are doing some on-the-spot writing. So a track or two (or three) on the final album could well come from these last couple of months' worth of sessions. Is Joe Thomas involved? No one knows. But given that Darian has been shown in the studio, it looks like some of Brian's band is.

Finally, you have material from Mike and Dave. (Al and Bruce haven't said anything about contributing). So perhaps a couple of tracks on the finished album could come from them.

Therefore, I'd predict a finished album along these lines:

Ocean Way
The Beach Boys (Capitol, 2012)

Do It Again 2012
Shelter (JT session)
Black Widow (with lyrics rewritten by Mike)
The Private Life of Bill and Sue (JT session)
New Mike song (possibly with a BW credit added for cred)
That's Why God Made the Radio (JT session)
Dancin' the Night Away (possibly with Carl's voice kept)
New Brian-Mike collaboration
New Dave M. song (with ML and BW credits added)
Still A Mystery (JT session)

Now, the exact old songs being used will probably be different. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if we ended up with something like this.

I'd hope for more than 10 tracks, and some better 'archive' reworkings. Plus something representing Dennis.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »

Not to nitpick, but there are 11 tracks there. Given the time pressures, how many more do you think they could realistically finish, mix and master for a June-ish release?

As for archival stuff, I was thinking that the Boys might go back to the mid-90s just for the chance to get a couple of Carl vocals. Dancin' isn't great, but it is a BW/ML co-write, correct? Black Widow was a total shot in the dark. Maybe they'll go with Adult Child material instead.  Grin

Finally, I understand the desire for a Dennis tribute, but I don't know how it would work. Dennis's songs wouldn't really fit. What else is in the can that could be used for an album like this that wouldn't work better on an all-archival release?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »

Finally, I understand the desire for a Dennis tribute, but I don't know how it would work. Dennis's songs wouldn't really fit. What else is in the can that could be used for an album like this that wouldn't work better on an all-archival release?

You know I hate to be a downer, but one good reason for not including any of Dennis's material might be that it'd show the rest up.

And we can't have that…  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »

Not to nitpick, but there are 11 tracks there. Given the time pressures, how many more do you think they could realistically finish, mix and master for a June-ish release?

As for archival stuff, I was thinking that the Boys might go back to the mid-90s just for the chance to get a couple of Carl vocals. Dancin' isn't great, but it is a BW/ML co-write, correct? Black Widow was a total shot in the dark. Maybe they'll go with Adult Child material instead.  Grin

I'd rather hear "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" in its original, archival form but maybe it's not outside the realm of possibility they'd rework it for a new album.  What would be cooler, maybe, would be doing vocals for "I've Got a Friend".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »

I think this is hilarious  LOL LOL LOL LOL

The  B104 FM music news page is now quoting this board, and it's posts, as an official news source on the new album.
http://www.b104fm.com/musicnews.htm

Hey, were more legit than most news sources  LOL

Yeah, if they were quoting AGD, Jon S. or other honored guests.

They haven't.  Haven't heard AGD confirm those titles (cept Do It Again of course)

"Shelter" & "Bob & Sue" have been mentioned to me by one of my better sources. Dudes name was... Cohen, or something like that.

Personally, being the fact freak I am, I'll be fascinated to see if all the new material is indeed new, as in newly composed.

I wouldn't mind if the songs were old but never heard of. Besides, there's no way of telling if an unfamiliar song is new or old by merely listening to it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2012, 03:19:25 PM »

I think this is hilarious  LOL LOL LOL LOL

The  B104 FM music news page is now quoting this board, and it's posts, as an official news source on the new album.
http://www.b104fm.com/musicnews.htm

You haven't hung around here long have you?  Some of the guys here can spot a recycled riff a measure away

Hey, were more legit than most news sources  LOL

Yeah, if they were quoting AGD, Jon S. or other honored guests.

They haven't.  Haven't heard AGD confirm those titles (cept Do It Again of course)

"Shelter" & "Bob & Sue" have been mentioned to me by one of my better sources. Dudes name was... Cohen, or something like that.

Personally, being the fact freak I am, I'll be fascinated to see if all the new material is indeed new, as in newly composed.

I wouldn't mind if the songs were old but never heard of. Besides, there's no way of telling if an unfamiliar song is new or old by merely listening to it.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

Unless you've heard it before somewhere, of course.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »

I hope Brian reworked "Oh Lord", however I highly doubt that, there are probably a lot of things he doesn't want reminding of in that song.
Firemellow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »

Just to clarify,  Bill and Sue are

Wonderbill and Susie Cincinnati, all grown up.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »

Mike messaged me back on the post I put on his Facebook saying "In the studio as we speak.". So at least we know they're doing more recording  Grin! I'm really hoping this album is out before the tour starts!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »

The tour starts in fewer than 70 days. I think they could probably finish recording in that time, but I doubt the album could be mixed, mastered, designed, promoted and ready for release in that time.

I might be wrong, but I would expect the album in June or July. Possibly May if they go all out.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Really hard to estimate without knowing how many they've already recorded, how many they've already written, who all is contributing songwriting, and what the average production value of a song is going to be on the album.

Obviously, if it's going to be Pet Sounds II, the individual songs are probably going to take longer than if it's a couple elaborate Brian songs and the rest are surfin' songs.  If they use as much auto-tune as they did on the  "Do It Again" video, they can probably crank out the vocals pretty quick.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »

Really hard to estimate without knowing how many they've already recorded, how many they've already written, who all is contributing songwriting

Quite so.

I would expect, though, that the album is 90 percent (if not more) Brian Wilson-written material. The market demands it.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »

Do you guys think the whole album will sound like the new Do It Again?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »

We don't know how many songs are in the can.  We've simply heard rumors of four titles.  They have been recording off and on for awhile.  David was just in the studio putting down some guitar on some track the other day.  Darian was in the studio with Brian the other day.  Who cares what song it is that Bruce likes.  We can't hear it yet anyway.  And he's not in England, he lives in California.  Mike has mentioned that he'd like to write some stuff, but we haven't heard of anything definite.  Same with Dave.  We'll get more info when they want us to have more info.  I'll repeat something here that I had to repeat over and over when we were waiting for info on TSS...Patience.

Right you are. I have no idea about anything. I got excited about the "four songs in the can" and the Johnston remark, about the one tune.
Then I watch the DIA video, and get pumped up some more.

I don't even know what methods or procedures they use, if Brian cuts the tracks, and then they come in, or its different for
every track or what. If they cut just enough, or prune it down from lots of tracks.

It's way too early, I need to chill, and wait two or three months. for some news.

The only thing is I cant help it, I have a feeling the album could be special. DIA sounds good, they sounded good on the Grammys
and I need to wait, I feel they were pretty cool about dribbling out info for the fans on Smile, and It looks like they are gonna continue
spoonfeeding the faithful with a few tidbits, AGD will see we know something

So here's the deal.

1.) Brian started recording backing tracks for some sort of project last year. This was documented by several sources.

2.) Eddie Bayers, a session player used by Imagination co-producer Joe Thomas, tweeted that he was working on new BW material.

3.) Jean Seivers, Brian's publicist, said at the time that Brian was recording some previously unreleased but already written material at Joe's studio in Illinois.

4.) In subsequent interviews, Brian talked about having written new songs, including the Shelter and Bill and Sue tunes, but in collaboration with Joe Thomas and Jeff.

5.) The Do It Again sessions likewise took place in the middle of last year.

6.) All of this happened before there was any news of an official reunion.

7.) Once that came out, news of the album started flowing fast and furious. There has been no more mention of Joe Thomas as a co-producer, but he is mentioned as co-writer of the God / Radio song.

8.) The group apparently recorded on some of Brian's stuff before the end of 2011, and they have obviously been going at it over the last month or so.

9.) Mike and Brian were writing a song in the studio a week or two ago, according to Andrew.

10.) Dave and Mike have some songs they have brought to the project and hope to include as well.

So, taking these 10 points together, let's draw some conclusions.

It seems likely that tracks for the album were recorded throughout last year by Brian, Joe and Jeff. It is probably relatively quick and easy for the group to put vocals on top of those and finish them up. Even if they only managed 4 or 5 titles, they could have finished a third to half of the album this way.

Some of those tracks might well be trunk songs, dating back to the 70s, 80s or 90s. We had official word that Brian was working on some older tunes. Now, whether those are older tunes fans are familiar with or not, who knows.

It also seems clear that Brian and Mike are doing some on-the-spot writing. So a track or two (or three) on the final album could well come from these last couple of months' worth of sessions. Is Joe Thomas involved? No one knows. But given that Darian has been shown in the studio, it looks like some of Brian's band is.

Finally, you have material from Mike and Dave. (Al and Bruce haven't said anything about contributing). So perhaps a couple of tracks on the finished album could come from them.

Therefore, I'd predict a finished album along these lines:

Ocean Way
The Beach Boys (Capitol, 2012)

Do It Again 2012
Shelter (JT session)
Black Widow (with lyrics rewritten by Mike)
The Private Life of Bill and Sue (JT session)
New Mike song (possibly with a BW credit added for cred)
That's Why God Made the Radio (JT session)
Dancin' the Night Away (possibly with Carl's voice kept)
New Dave M. song (with ML and BW credits added)
Still A Mystery (JT session)

Now, the exact old songs being used will probably be different. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if we ended up with something like this.

I'd hope for more than 10 tracks, and some better 'archive' reworkings. Plus something representing Dennis.

THAT ALL SEEMS LIKE A REASONABLE EDUCATED GUESS, INCLUDING AGD's CAVEAT

I WOULD GUESS THAT MAYBE THEY WILL TRY AND CUT A COUPLE EXTRA TRACKS AS BEST BUY OR ITUNES
EXCLUSIVES<,OR JUST TO HAVE A COUPLE EXTRA FOR SOME FUTURE COMPILATION BECAUSE LIKELY THEY WILL NEVER
CUT ANOTHER STUDIO ALBUM AT AGE 70

I WOULD GUESS YES, THEY WILL AT LEAST CONSIDER TRYING TO USE ONE OR TWO CARL WILSON PERFORMANCES

PERHAPS DENNIS WILSON IS CONSIDERED TO BE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY SAMPLED SOME OF HIS DRUMS OR PERCUSSION
ALREADY FOR DIA.

I AM THINKING THIS ALBUM WILL SOUND LIKE A RECENT BRIAN WILSON ALBUM< LUCKY OLD SUN OR SOMETHING WITH
BEACH BOYS VOCALS INSTEAD OF THE SOLO ALBUM GROUP , THAT IS, THE WILSON SOLO BAND VOCALS WITH ALL THOSE CATS>

I UH JUST HANDICAPPING , GUESSING WOULD THINK< THAT THERE WILL BE A BIT MORE MIKE LOVE BEACH BOYS SURFy GIRLS CAR STUFF
INFLUENCE< TO A DEGREE> BUT THEN AGAIN LUCKY OLD SUN< HAD FOREvER YOU'LL BE MY SURFER GIRL SO WHO IS KIDDING WHO
PET SOUNDS TWO, IN OUR DREAMS. MAYBE THEY SEEM KIND OF INSPIRED AND INTO IT, THEY HAVE TO REALiZE THIS MIGHT BE THE LAST
TIME THEY RECORD TOGETHER< THIS ALBUM IS GONNA BE GREAT!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:40 PM »

Instrumentally, probably not. If some backing tracks feature Joe Thomas's musicians, then expect something more adult contemporary (and Brian did call the album "mellow").

Vocally, I would expect it to be similar. It's the four guys plus Foskett (maybe David on a tune or two).

Brian's band may contribute some backing tracks too, which would mean something slightly less slick, although they're a pretty well-oiled ensemble themselves.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »

Instrumentally, probably not. If some backing tracks feature Joe Thomas's musicians, then expect something more adult contemporary (and Brian did call the album "mellow").

Vocally, I would expect it to be similar. It's the four guys plus Foskett (maybe David on a tune or two).

Brian's band may contribute some backing tracks too, which would mean something slightly less slick, although they're a pretty well-oiled ensemble themselves.

I don't know how I feel about that. I don't know if it would be better for the album to be strange but bad or decent but boring.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2012, 11:09:38 PM »

How about half and half?  Grin
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2012, 11:15:59 PM »

They should just rerelease Love You and see if anybody notices....

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »

I don't know how I feel about that. I don't know if it would be better for the album to be strange but bad or decent but boring.

If the boys put something down with passion and sincerity, it will make up for any unders or overs in the backing track department

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2012, 05:31:40 AM »

Well Do It Again  was a quick fix arrangement and recording to test the waters - that could maybe explain the autotune, as time wasn't plentiful to get takes 'just so'. Hopefully the album has more thought and care put  into the arrangements of the new songs. It looks like, from the studio photos, that Brian's band is on them - we haven't seen any other musicians, right - and that is heartwarming. I  just hope rushing the album for a summer release doesn't mean it's, y'know, rushed.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2012, 06:21:35 AM »

If the recording is old, you can tell. There are specific sound characteristics to certain time frames. If the recording is new, you can't tell how old the song is if you haven't heard it before.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:04 AM »

Apart from SURFIN' SAFARI and SURFIN' USA, has there ever been a Beach Boys (or solo) album that did not utilize a melody, song or track that had been sitting around for a couple of years or more?

I would be surprised if the new album is completely new.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2012, 07:02:26 AM »

If the recording is old, you can tell. There are specific sound characteristics to certain time frames. If the recording is new, you can't tell how old the song is if you haven't heard it before.

With todays technology, I believe you could take a song from the 80's or 90's and with new overdubs, it could sound
like a recent recording, which in fact, part of it would be new. It just depends on so many variables.

Autotune or no, rushed or not, I think the DIA remake sounds good, and it sounds remarkably like the Beach Boys, which
is not a given. The recent WHO album in 2006, didin't really sound ike them. McCartney and Ringo don't sound like the Beatles
most of the time, on their solo records. The new Three Dog Night songs don't sound like them.

What is the definition of rushed anyway? If you spend say a week or ten days on one fairly simple song, is that really rushed?
Sometimes if you spend a month or two on each song, you get overkill. It just depends, sometimes you get Good Vibrations,
but the technology was so different in 66-67 its not a fair comparison.

The only thing I have against the DIA remake is that it's a remake.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2012, 07:35:19 AM »

I'll be happy to have a new Beach Boys album regardless, I just hope that the production isn't too slick.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx