gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680721 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:23:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060163 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

wasn't Mike "executive producer" of the Pet Sounds Sessions?

it's like a little paper crown he can wear so he feels important.

i think it would be cool if Do It Again doesn't make it onto the album
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:55 PM »

Usually 'executive producer' is the 'money man'. Most of the time it's just an honorary title. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is both excited and very apprehensive re this album. 'Do It Again' on the (suspected) line-up is kind of playing to all my worst fears, i.e. that it'll be a mawkish, regressive and corny, an album worth of 'Brian is Back's'. Let's hope they're genuinely more concerned with producing something credible than commercial. It's taken a fair while for the BB's legacy to get where it is now after the awful '80's, and now they're probably more highly critically respected than ever, after SMiLE etc. Don't ruin it guys! 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »

I think this is hilarious  LOL LOL LOL LOL

The  B104 FM music news page is now quoting this board, and it's posts, as an official news source on the new album.
http://www.b104fm.com/musicnews.htm

Hey, were more legit than most news sources  LOL

Yeah, if they were quoting AGD, Jon S. or other honored guests.

They haven't.  Haven't heard AGD confirm those titles (cept Do It Again of course)

"Shelter" & "Bob & Sue" have been mentioned to me by one of my better sources. Dudes name was... Cohen, or something like that.

Personally, being the fact freak I am, I'll be fascinated to see if all the new material is indeed new, as in newly composed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:30:39 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:58 AM »

Sometimes having AGD around is a good thing...

he's just a big cuddly teddy bear!

Evil

And getting bigger...  Sad

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 12:59:52 AM »

Sometimes having AGD around is a good thing...

he's just a big cuddly teddy bear!

Evil

And getting bigger...  Sad

There can't be enough Doe in the world.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 01:33:24 AM »

wasn't Mike "executive producer" of the Pet Sounds Sessions?

it's like a little paper crown he can wear so he feels important.

i think it would be cool if Do It Again doesn't make it onto the album

I think they should already have punted Do It Again to radio stations etc to ride the Grammy publicity bandwagon. At least then the jocks would have had something to play to go with the Grammy news.  It's a treat to release the vid for fans, for sure, but they could also have put the thing to work for them…  Maybe they have…

“We live in divisive times.”
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 02:38:08 AM »

I think they should already have punted Do It Again to radio stations etc to ride the Grammy publicity bandwagon. At least then the jocks would have had something to play to go with the Grammy news.  It's a treat to release the vid for fans, for sure, but they could also have put the thing to work for them…  Maybe they have…
[/quot

Maybe they have a better single in mind. Or it's simply too early. If they release a single too far in advance of the album, it might work
against them.

I wonder  if the actual leaks of song titles, or other info, is actually a few steps behind actual developments. They are saying four songs are in
the can, but maybe it's more by now. Maybe they will record 20 tracks and whittle it down to the best ten. Who knows?

Andrew Doe just gave us a clue, when he said something about, I wonder if they are all new songs as in recently composed.
I would suspect a few old songs or old song ideas that were never completed are likely to be pulled out of the old song bag,
in addition to some songs that are being composed now, or very recently composed.

I say that because historically Wilson and the Beach Boys have released new albums, with unreleased songs from years before.
Also because Andrew Doe is kind of hinting about that.

I was so excited about the Smile release, and I am equally excited about this new album. In a span of two years, less than two years,
The Beach Boys are giving us the mythical Smile and a brand new album! How damm cool is that!

Is there a number I can call to ask them to hurry up, why is the Do it Again video not on Youtube anymore ?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:41:00 AM by vintagemusic » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 02:47:52 AM »

As stated on this forum, the "DIA" video was leaked without the permission of BRI or anyone involved.

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 03:11:51 AM »

As stated on this forum, the "DIA" video was leaked without the permission of BRI or anyone involved.

I did not know that, I don't have time to read everything.

Thats cool, yeah it's just all so exciting, I can't wait to hear the new album. I sincerely hope
there are several new video's associated with the album, and that they are available in some
type of deluxe version of the album
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 05:16:42 AM »

I did not know that, I don't have time to read everything.

Thats cool, yeah it's just all so exciting, I can't wait to hear the new album. I sincerely hope
there are several new video's associated with the album, and that they are available in some
type of deluxe version of the album

Sure. A 5-CD box, with a double LP version, two singles, a case-bound book, a photo book, a poster, and oh, 100+ other items.

I blame Mike.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:23 AM »

…why is the Do it Again video not on Youtube anymore ?

What YouTube you looking at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23U7kegA5gc

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 05:44:56 AM »

I think this is hilarious  LOL LOL LOL LOL

The  B104 FM music news page is now quoting this board, and it's posts, as an official news source on the new album.
http://www.b104fm.com/musicnews.htm

Hey, were more legit than most news sources  LOL

Yeah, if they were quoting AGD, Jon S. or other honored guests.

They haven't.  Haven't heard AGD confirm those titles (cept Do It Again of course)

"Shelter" & "Bob & Sue" have been mentioned to me by one of my better sources. Dudes name was... Cohen, or something like that.

Personally, being the fact freak I am, I'll be fascinated to see if all the new material is indeed new, as in newly composed.

This of course might have been putting people off the scent, but studio shots of BW last summer did say he was working on re-recording unreleased material with Joe Thomas, right?

Personally, if they do resurrect anything, it should be Chain Reaction of Love.  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »

All this about the new album, has reminded me of an obvious question.

Will a couple of archival tracks be used in a manner similar to Soul Searchin
so that Carl and or Dennis Wilson will be on the album ?

I have no prediction, but I really am curious about it, I thought
Soul Searchin on the Gettin In Over My Head album was good.
I was surprised there was archival material of that quality lying
around unused. It wasn't the greatest track I ever heard, by any
means, but it was one of the better cuts on that album IMO

I can't stand the anticipation, so ok, semi confirmed sources say
there are four tracks in the can, So depending how fresh that information
is, there could easily be a couple more by now.

Bruce Johnston, was quoted saying, he keeps playing the one cut over
and over again, somebody should just ask him to be a pal, and post a 
30 second clip! or at least give us the name of the one he likes.

So Wilson cuts the backing tracks and then the guys fly in to sing their
parts, like the pet sounds days ? I would tend to doubt that, because
Love and Marks are quoted as saying, they are involved in writing some
material, so if it was your song wouldn't you at least be at the studio
through the whole process?

If Johnston is in England, does that mean no recording is going on until
he flies back to the states or is that a misconception on my part.

If they only have four in the can, I hope they hold a couple sessions and
get that number up so they have a realistic chance of getting it out by
late summer. I wish we could get a little more info. I guess its still too early
I am expecting a second single to follow DIA closer to release time, that
just seems obvious.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »

We don't know how many songs are in the can.  We've simply heard rumors of four titles.  They have been recording off and on for awhile.  David was just in the studio putting down some guitar on some track the other day.  Darian was in the studio with Brian the other day.  Who cares what song it is that Bruce likes.  We can't hear it yet anyway.  And he's not in England, he lives in California.  Mike has mentioned that he'd like to write some stuff, but we haven't heard of anything definite.  Same with Dave.  We'll get more info when they want us to have more info.  I'll repeat something here that I had to repeat over and over when we were waiting for info on TSS...Patience.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:42:55 AM by LostArt » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »

Is DIA definitely going to be on the new album? Seems strange to me to have a new album of new material and then one re-recorded song thrown on there.

I think it would be a cool idea to keep DIA off of the new album and release it as a colored 7" single. Maybe with a re-recorded Friends or a live in studio track as the b side.  That would make for a great Record Store Day release this year.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:22:33 AM by lee » Logged
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »

We don't know how many songs are in the can.  We've simply heard rumors of four titles.  They have been recording off and on for awhile.  David was just in the studio putting down some guitar on some track the other day.  Darian was in the studio with Brian the other day.  Who cares what song it is that Bruce likes.  We can't hear it yet anyway.  And he's not in England, he lives in California.  Mike has mentioned that he'd like to write some stuff, but we haven't heard of anything definite.  Same with Dave.  We'll get more info when they want us to have more info.  I'll repeat something here that I had to repeat over and over when we were waiting for info on TSS...Patience.

Right you are. I have no idea about anything. I got excited about the "four songs in the can" and the Johnston remark, about the one tune.
Then I watch the DIA video, and get pumped up some more.

I don't even know what methods or procedures they use, if Brian cuts the tracks, and then they come in, or its different for
every track or what. If they cut just enough, or prune it down from lots of tracks.

It's way too early, I need to chill, and wait two or three months. for some news.

The only thing is I cant help it, I have a feeling the album could be special. DIA sounds good, they sounded good on the Grammys
and I need to wait, I feel they were pretty cool about dribbling out info for the fans on Smile, and It looks like they are gonna continue
spoonfeeding the faithful with a few tidbits, AGD will see we know something

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 08:13:54 AM »

If Johnston is in England, does that mean no recording is going on until
he flies back to the states or is that a misconception on my part.

Serious misconception ! Bruce is in California, where he's been since the last tour ended.  Smiley

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »

I think it would be a cool idea to keep DIA off of the new album and release it as a colored 7" single. Maybe with a re-recorded Friends

a re-recorded Friends would be so cool
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »

Some studio shots (from facebook)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »

Al and Bruce both standing on boxes.  Just like the old days.  Cool
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »

I wonder what they're discussing while sitting in a circle?

And cue everyone posting fake dialogue for this picture in 3...2..1...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »

Right you are. I have no idea about anything. I got excited about the "four songs in the can" and the Johnston remark, about the one tune.
Then I watch the DIA video, and get pumped up some more.

I don't even know what methods or procedures they use, if Brian cuts the tracks, and then they come in, or its different for
every track or what. If they cut just enough, or prune it down from lots of tracks.

It's way too early, I need to chill, and wait two or three months. for some news.

The only thing is I cant help it, I have a feeling the album could be special. DIA sounds good, they sounded good on the Grammys
and I need to wait, I feel they were pretty cool about dribbling out info for the fans on Smile, and It looks like they are gonna continue
spoonfeeding the faithful with a few tidbits, AGD will see we know something

So here's the deal.

1.) Brian started recording backing tracks for some sort of project last year. This was documented by several sources.

2.) Eddie Bayers, a session player used by Imagination co-producer Joe Thomas, tweeted that he was working on new BW material.

3.) Jean Seivers, Brian's publicist, said at the time that Brian was recording some previously unreleased but already written material at Joe's studio in Illinois.

4.) In subsequent interviews, Brian talked about having written new songs, including the Shelter and Bill and Sue tunes, but in collaboration with Joe Thomas and Jeff.

5.) The Do It Again sessions likewise took place in the middle of last year.

6.) All of this happened before there was any news of an official reunion.

7.) Once that came out, news of the album started flowing fast and furious. There has been no more mention of Joe Thomas as a co-producer, but he is mentioned as co-writer of the God / Radio song.

8.) The group apparently recorded on some of Brian's stuff before the end of 2011, and they have obviously been going at it over the last month or so.

9.) Mike and Brian were writing a song in the studio a week or two ago, according to Andrew.

10.) Dave and Mike have some songs they have brought to the project and hope to include as well.

So, taking these 10 points together, let's draw some conclusions.

It seems likely that tracks for the album were recorded throughout last year by Brian, Joe and Jeff. It is probably relatively quick and easy for the group to put vocals on top of those and finish them up. Even if they only managed 4 or 5 titles, they could have finished a third to half of the album this way.

Some of those tracks might well be trunk songs, dating back to the 70s, 80s or 90s. We had official word that Brian was working on some older tunes. Now, whether those are older tunes fans are familiar with or not, who knows.

It also seems clear that Brian and Mike are doing some on-the-spot writing. So a track or two (or three) on the final album could well come from these last couple of months' worth of sessions. Is Joe Thomas involved? No one knows. But given that Darian has been shown in the studio, it looks like some of Brian's band is.

Finally, you have material from Mike and Dave. (Al and Bruce haven't said anything about contributing). So perhaps a couple of tracks on the finished album could come from them.

Therefore, I'd predict a finished album along these lines:

Ocean Way
The Beach Boys (Capitol, 2012)

Do It Again 2012
Shelter (JT session)
Black Widow (with lyrics rewritten by Mike)
The Private Life of Bill and Sue (JT session)
New Mike song (possibly with a BW credit added for cred)
That's Why God Made the Radio (JT session)
Dancin' the Night Away (possibly with Carl's voice kept)
New Brian-Mike collaboration
New Dave M. song (with ML and BW credits added)
New Brian-Mike collaboration
Still A Mystery (JT session)

Now, the exact old songs being used will probably be different. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if we ended up with something like this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:32:19 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »

I just wanted to point out that the Facebook photo of the band standing around the microphone is clearly staged for the "Do It Again" video (note the production lights) and should not be considered representative of the band recording the new album. The boxes could be there simply to elevate the shorter members to improve shot composition and may have nothing to do with recording.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »

So you agree Mike and Bruce get Stamos if Brian gets Foskett? Ok. Lets move on to clause 112 subsection 15a.  'Mike to make no mention of Brians footwear Jan1-Dec 31 2012.'

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx