gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:44:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1062807 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #900 on: March 24, 2012, 04:32:57 AM »

Thomas is 'executive producing', which implies he's not actually producing.

I thought Mike was the executive producer. That's what it says in the press release.

You forgot to mention that Brian wrote a song with Mark Lindsay for the new album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #901 on: March 24, 2012, 04:45:03 AM »

Suite like, apparently
Brian says mellow
Probyn says 'eighties'
Al says Pet Sounds
We may or may not have a track from Al's solo record on it - either Don't Fight The Sea or Waves of Love
Mike has mentioned he might write a song with David.
Brian has been writing with Jeff and Thomas, and maybe Mike.
Mertens is doing string arrangements, Probyn has done a bunch of horn stuff.
We have seen a bunch of photos with Brian's band doing stuff in the studio. Wirestone, however, believes Thomas is bringing in his own musicians. Hopefully the cast for DIA is indicative.
The only new song that they've mentioned, 'That's Why God Invented The Radio' is supposed to be the best thing since peanut butter kitkats.

Think that's all the information thus far. Where's the coffee at?  Grin

Excellent! Thanks very much.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 24, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »

I just want The Beach Boys to be known for rocking again. The Smile Sessions was a huge disappointment and didn't have enough guitar-ness to be awesome. I can't wait for this new album to come out and completely tower over the release of the material from that ill-begotten era. I just get the feeling that this new studio effort is what everyone will be talking about for the next ten years instead of Smile.
This dude is a glutton for punishment >: Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 24, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »

I just want The Beach Boys to be known for rocking again. The Smile Sessions was a huge disappointment and didn't have enough guitar-ness to be awesome. I can't wait for this new album to come out and completely tower over the release of the material from that ill-begotten era. I just get the feeling that this new studio effort is what everyone will be talking about for the next ten years instead of Smile.
Don't know why, he's got a valid point. Smile was a blip on the BBs career radar screen. Some hit-like material would be fantastic and a breath of fresh air. "60's -type hit material, not '80s.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 24, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »

see how 80s was an attempt at 60s, i'm not sure what you'd expect. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #905 on: March 24, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »

Suite like, apparently
Brian says mellow
Probyn says 'eighties'
Al says Pet Sounds
We may or may not have a track from Al's solo record on it - either Don't Fight The Sea or Waves of Love
We have seen a bunch of photos with Brian's band doing stuff in the studio. Wirestone, however, believes Thomas is bringing in his own musicians. Hopefully the cast for DIA is indicative.
The only new song that they've mentioned, 'That's Why God Invented The Radio' is supposed to be the best thing since peanut butter kitkats.

You forgot to mention Bruce might be doing a song.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 24, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »

see how 80s was an attempt at 60s, i'm not sure what you'd expect. 
We've got a different Brian now, than in the '80s. And I mean that in a good way, so thereis potential for a "Today" type introspective ballad or 2, I'm hoping for miracles. "She Says That She Needs Me" kind of astounded me, even though it was actually written in '65. Brians' vocals were excellent and they did "finish" it in the '90s.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »

yeah the more brian the better.  I hope he's really into it, seems like he is
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 24, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »

Suite like, apparently
Brian says mellow
Probyn says 'eighties'
Al says Pet Sounds

I don't "believe" anything, one way or the other. We know that Brian was tracking last year, and some of the work he did was with musicians Joe used on Stars and Stripes and Imagination. At least, according to Rolling Stone:

"Beach Boys session vet Eddie Bayers says he recently played drums on new Wilson tracks slated for a Beach Boys reunion record. "Brian's new creations are just unbelievable," says Bayers."

www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-plan-anniversary-blowout-with-likely-reunion-tour-20110928#ixzz1q4D85GHE

I also don't believe the entire album is supposed to be suite-like. Just a closing batch of songs.

As AGD just said, Probyn did say that it seems like Bruce is contributing a track to the record as well.

I thought Mike was the executive producer. That's what it says in the press release.

You forgot to mention that Brian wrote a song with Mark Lindsay for the new album

In the Probyn Gregory interview from a week or so ago, he said JT was the executive producer.

Also, the Mark Lindsay thing is unconfirmed for now. One source says the song is written:

"Mark revealed some exciting project news to his fans. He wrote a song with Brian Wilson for the new Beach Boys album."

http://www.examiner.com/retro-music-in-austin/mark-lindsay-of-the-raiders-releases-new-cd-writes-song-for-beach-boys-album#ixzz1q4ERMOw5

But another source -- from the same day -- says it's just a possibility. (Both things are from March 14):

"I had an opportunity to chat with Mark for a few minutes about music. He spoke about the possibility of doing something with Brian Wilson, which I know would be a thrill for Mark, as well as for us! "

http://community.marklindsay.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/594107531/m/60420945941/r/26720674151
mtaber
« Reply #909 on: March 24, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »

I had a dream two nights ago.  The new album was out and I bought it on vinyl.  It was a double album, but when I opened it I found that the 2nd side of record #2 was totally blank.  I thought to myself "what a horribly bad marketing idea"... then I played a track titled "Worth It", written by Brian and Mike, only to find that it was actually a (poorly done) re-make of "Wouldn't It Be Nice".  Also, side 3 featured a 12-minute track written by Bruce.  In my dream, I said aloud "you've got to be fu*king kidding me!"
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #910 on: March 24, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »

I had a dream two nights ago.  The new album was out and I bought it on vinyl.  It was a double album, but when I opened it I found that the 2nd side of record #2 was totally blank.  I thought to myself "what a horribly bad marketing idea"... LOL then I played a track titled "Worth It", written by Brian and Mike, only to find that it was actually a (poorly done) re-make of "Wouldn't It Be Nice".  Also, side 3 featured a 12-minute track written by Bruce.  In my dream, I said aloud "you've got to be fu*king kidding me!"  LOL LOL LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: March 24, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »

I had a dream two nights ago.  The new album was out and I bought it on vinyl.  It was a double album, but when I opened it I found that the 2nd side of record #2 was totally blank.  I thought to myself "what a horribly bad marketing idea"... then I played a track titled "Worth It", written by Brian and Mike, only to find that it was actually a (poorly done) re-make of "Wouldn't It Be Nice".  Also, side 3 featured a 12-minute track written by Bruce.  In my dream, I said aloud "you've got to be fu*king kidding me!"

I dreamed last night that the album was out and track number 2 was called "Island Kokomo". It was "Kokomo" only with a spoken introduction. The rest of the album wasn't any better but the only title I remember is "Amore only knows". How's that for a bad dream ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 24, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »

I had a dream two nights ago.  The new album was out and I bought it on vinyl.  It was a double album, but when I opened it I found that the 2nd side of record #2 was totally blank.  I thought to myself "what a horribly bad marketing idea"... then I played a track titled "Worth It", written by Brian and Mike, only to find that it was actually a (poorly done) re-make of "Wouldn't It Be Nice".  Also, side 3 featured a 12-minute track written by Bruce.  In my dream, I said aloud "you've got to be fu*king kidding me!"
actaully that side is going to consist of the tracks "surfin #9","Two Surfers","The surfers album" and "life with the surfers" with a bonus track called "Carnival of surfers" and "the sufers sound callage"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:23:15 PM by joshferrell » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 24, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

Suite like, apparently
Brian says mellow
Probyn says 'eighties'
Al says Pet Sounds

I don't "believe" anything, one way or the other. We know that Brian was tracking last year, and some of the work he did was with musicians Joe used on Stars and Stripes and Imagination. At least, according to Rolling Stone:

"Beach Boys session vet Eddie Bayers says he recently played drums on new Wilson tracks slated for a Beach Boys reunion record. "Brian's new creations are just unbelievable," says Bayers."

www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-plan-anniversary-blowout-with-likely-reunion-tour-20110928#ixzz1q4D85GHE

I also don't believe the entire album is supposed to be suite-like. Just a closing batch of songs.

We haven't heard any further indication that it's Thomas' guys - but then, the evidence for it all being Brian's band or the touring Beach Boys isn't plentiful. We just don't know who's playing on it!

I'll concede the suite thing - I misremembered Brian's interview.

Man..... I wanna hear this album.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 24, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »

I dreamed last night that the album was out and track number 2 was called "Island Kokomo". It was "Kokomo" only with a spoken introduction. The rest of the album wasn't any better but the only title I remember is "Amore only knows". How's that for a bad dream ?

lolololololololol

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #915 on: March 25, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »

Don't know why, he's got a valid point. Smile was a blip on the BBs career radar screen. Some hit-like material would be fantastic and a breath of fresh air. "60's -type hit material, not '80s.

I would say the exact opposite is the case: the SMiLE cd and boxset has been a real reminder to the music-buying public at large re Brian and the Beach Boys experimental genius and their musical originality and credibility, recieving as it has almost universal praise and good reviews; whereas images of five old men in flowery t-shirts on a beach reinforces the misconception of the BB's as 'surfing doris days', and a backwards-looking album of nostalgia is liable to do likewise.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 25, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »

It is interesting how we look at 45-year-old pop music as being experimental and progressive, but the 47 to 50-year-old pop music (which was in its own way experimental and progressive) as nostalgic or passe. There was a tremendous amount of creativity in both of the primary understandings of the band, but both are long since stuff of the past. Recreating either sound is going to result in equal pastiche; it's just a matter of the subject being fetishized. And no result is going to do much more than sell a shitload of copies to people who are already fans of the band. There will be no grand introduction to a young audience suddenly in love with septagenarians (or soon-to-bes).

So the safe bet commercially is going to be the Today-through-Pet Sounds sound, with enough (by now well-worn) quirks inserted to give the casual Brianista something to think shows he's still 24 and doing something new. That's their bread and butter that hits the sweet spot for most all listeners and band members.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 25, 2012, 08:54:37 AM »

Good or bad, any new tracks played live during the reunion will be the signal for most to hit the can and the refreshment stand.

Just the way it is.  Sad
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #918 on: March 25, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »

It is interesting how we look at 45-year-old pop music as being experimental and progressive, but the 47 to 50-year-old pop music (which was in its own way experimental and progressive) as nostalgic or passe. There was a tremendous amount of creativity in both of the primary understandings of the band, but both are long since stuff of the past. Recreating either sound is going to result in equal pastiche; it's just a matter of the subject being fetishized. And no result is going to do much more than sell a sh*tload of copies to people who are already fans of the band. There will be no grand introduction to a young audience suddenly in love with septagenarians (or soon-to-bes).

So the safe bet commercially is going to be the Today-through-Pet Sounds sound, with enough (by now well-worn) quirks inserted to give the casual Brianista something to think shows he's still 24 and doing something new. That's their bread and butter that hits the sweet spot for most all listeners and band members.

I see your point, although i DON'T consider the 47-to-50 year old music as passe; it was considered shockingly new and, yes, experimental at the time, and listening to, say, Custom Machine or Dont Back Down can still leave me in awe of just how much musical invention Brian could fit into such short, catchy songs. But... the constant regression to this period of their music for what has been the best part of four decades now... it really does seem to consistently dent their critical (if not commercial) standing. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 25, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »

But exceptions to stagnation, regression, or dissolution over decades of pop music are few and far between. We'd all love to see our favorites continuously progress artistically and ideally commercially, but the truth is most acts can do neither. Honestly, the fact that the Beach Boys can continue to be a successful touring act, that Brian Wilson can continue to captivate the media and a certain segment of the public, and that the back catalog remains popular is pretty remarkable in itself. That already defies realistic expectations.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 25, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »

I would say the exact opposite is the case: the SMiLE cd and boxset has been a real reminder to the music-buying public at large re Brian and the Beach Boys experimental genius and their musical originality and credibility, recieving as it has almost universal praise and good reviews; whereas images of five old men in flowery t-shirts on a beach reinforces the misconception of the BB's as 'surfing doris days', and a backwards-looking album of nostalgia is liable to do likewise.
The fact is they are five older men in flowery shirts. What's that have to do with the music. I don't know who wants a "backwards looking album  of nostalgia"? Not me.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #921 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »

The fact is they are five older men in flowery shirts. What's that have to do with the music. I don't know who wants a "backwards looking album  of nostalgia"? Not me.

I didn't say anyone WANTED it, just that that's what we might well get. And re 'what has the flowery shirt photos got to do with the music' - as the group's fortunes showed circa 1967-1970 - image is (sadly) important.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #922 on: March 25, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

... and suddenly a piece of the puzzle fell into place with a considerable thud. Damn, I'm good.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #923 on: March 25, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

... and suddenly a piece of the puzzle fell into place with a considerable thud. Damn, I'm good.  Grin

Huh??
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 25, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »

I would say the exact opposite is the case: the SMiLE cd and boxset has been a real reminder to the music-buying public at large re Brian and the Beach Boys experimental genius and their musical originality and credibility, recieving as it has almost universal praise and good reviews;

The opposite opposite is the case.  

1.  Nobody buys CD's anymore.  Even less people buy 100 dollar boxsets.  

2.  Out of the few people that actually Do buy CD's, none of them bought the Smile Sessions outside of people with usernames on this board, or people that are actually in Brian's band.  Nobody in Mike's band bought The Smile Sessions.  Bruce has one, but Capitol Records gave it to him for free.  He accidentally left it in a VFW lodge in Wisconsin about 4 months ago.  

3.  If the Beach Boys record an album full of Doris Day covers and call it "Summer's Gone"... it will sell at least twice as many copies as the Smile Sessions.

Just thought I'd put that back in perspective for you, you've kind of lost the plot.  

You need to eventually get to the point where you do not care what critics say about their music, and enjoy it because YOU enjoy it, not some snot-nosed kid who writes a review on Amazon and says he doesn't like their shirts.  

Who gives a sh*t what the critics thing, or what the Beach Boys legacy is?  If people don't enjoy the music, that's their loss, not mine.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx