gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:23:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060715 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: June 28, 2012, 06:23:57 AM »

Reading earlier interviews with Joe Thomas, I got the impression that a lot of those "80 hours" is just piano doodling with a tape rolling. Thomas would then "audition" certain moments to present to Brian who would then choose which ones to try and develop into songs. The "Life Suite" may be mostly written, but it certainly isn't all recorded.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: June 28, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »

STRANGE WORLD

What an incredible song!

First of all, has everyone noticed the bicycle bell?  Ahhhhh!

And, that moment when Brian is singing "Sunday morning / skies of blue / Yo te amo / Means I love you"
WOW! makes me think I've died and gone to heaven!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4102 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:11 AM »

STRANGE WORLD

What an incredible song!

First of all, has everyone noticed the bicycle bell?  Ahhhhh!

And, that moment when Brian is singing "Sunday morning / skies of blue / Yo te amo / Means I love you"
WOW! makes me think I've died and gone to heaven!

You've just mentioned the part of the song that I don't like. Those "Yo te amo" lyrics just don't fit imo. rest of the song is cool though

From facebook (did Brian write more with Jon Bon Jovi?):

The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary ReUnion Tour
Mike Love has dismissed reports suggesting his plans for Beach Boys shows without bandmates Al Jardine and Brian Wilson.

The singer has booked a South American show for his spin-off Beach Boys band, which features guitarist Bruce Johnston, and a second show planned for Texas has been cancelled after venue bosses realised it wouldn’t involve the original bandmates.

Mike has spoken out to clarify his plans, insisting dates he’s planning with his Beach Boys band do not reflect on the reunited act.

He insists he’s making plans for the Wilson-led Beach Boys beyond 28 September, when the reunion tour ends in London.

He tells Rolling Stone, “There’s only one 50th anniversary, obviously, but… there’s talk of us going and doing a return to the Grammys next year, and there’s talk about doing another album together.

“There’s nothing in stone, but there’s a lot of ideas being floated around. So, after this year, after completing the 50th anniversary reunion, we’ll entertain doing some more studio work and see what we can come up with and can do in the future.”

And Love reveals there’s still a treasure trove of original Beach Boys songs to be mined for a follow-up to this year’s comeback album That’s Why God Made the Radio (WE TOLD YOU!) – they include demos with the late Carl Wilson’s vocals and an unreleased Dennis Wilson composition, as well as songs Wilson wrote with Jon Bon Jovi.

Endless Summer indeed!

I wonder if the Dennis song could be "Oh Lord" which Brian also tried for the '85 sessions.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:18:20 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: June 29, 2012, 07:41:30 AM »

I wonder if the Dennis song could be "Oh Lord" which Brian also tried for the '85 sessions.

It could also be "I've Got A Friend".

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:41 AM »

Or 10,000 Years/Carl's Song, which Mike has been known to have a go at.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: June 29, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »

"Who ever said, love could die"

That song would fit perfectly

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4106 on: June 29, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »

Well, Brian has no working past with "I've got a friend" as war as we know. But "Oh Lord" was worked on for the Beach Boys '85 album. On the otehr hand I don't know if Dennis wrote anything of OL or if it was a Brian solo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: June 29, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »

Does anybody find strange the lyric that appears in "There and Back Again":

"Why don't you fall/to the ground..."

This mystifies me...it's an odd request of someone with whom you are trying to make up...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4108 on: June 29, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »

This mystifies me...it's an odd request of someone with whom you are trying to make up...

Well, maybe I'm too drunk right now, but I can't find that lyric. Are you sure that that is what they sing?

- Jack Rieley
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »

Well, maybe I'm too drunk right now, but I can't find that lyric. Are you sure that that is what they sing?

It goes, "Just Call, Just Call, Just Fall" it changes to have a sort of double meaning like getting older and waiting.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: June 29, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »

It's at the end of this verse:
The clouds are breaking, it's a beautiful day
For a wonderful, Pacific coast getaway
The sun is shining, could we just find a way
If you just call, just fall, just fall
To the ground

Meaning what, she's an angel? Join him on earth?

Or do a face-plant upon seeing each other after years? I dunno. That could prove counterproductive.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4111 on: June 30, 2012, 03:40:27 AM »

First one is "just call".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4112 on: June 30, 2012, 03:42:26 AM »

Small problem. No vocals. No one - lead, backing, demo, scratch. Nada.  Cracking track, mind.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: June 30, 2012, 06:05:21 AM »

norbit
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:59:42 PM by Gertie J. » Logged

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4114 on: June 30, 2012, 06:11:34 AM »

I hope we're just going to get to hear the original Carl and Dennis songs/demos and not have to make do with 're-imaginings' by the group. Or is everyone here just perfectly content with having a re-recorded version of California Feeling whilst the original languishes in the vaults, and thus wouldn't mind the same happening to other unreleased material?
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »

Small problem. No vocals. No one - lead, backing, demo, scratch. Nada.  Cracking track, mind.

I interpreted the quote to mean it could be re-recorded by the current roster when they were discussing what material was available for the next record.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: July 03, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »

deleted
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:06:43 PM by the professor » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4117 on: July 04, 2012, 08:02:02 AM »

Andrew, what's your opinion if they were to add current-day backing vocals to Dennis' track "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" for release on the next album?  That's the most outstanding unreleased non-Caribou DW track in the vaults, so I would think it's likely that they would release that over any other (unless they add all their own vocals to the currently vocal-less "I've Got A Friend") , and I'm thinking they would be inclined to bolster it with their vocals.   In your opinion, would that tread on the sanctity of the track, or would it be OK (provided, of course, it sounded good...and given the quality of vocal arrangements & performances on the new album, I'm inclined to think it would).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4118 on: July 05, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »

Small problem. No vocals. No one - lead, backing, demo, scratch. Nada.  Cracking track, mind.

Andrew, what's your opinion if they were to add current-day backing vocals to Dennis' track "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" for release on the next album?  That's the most outstanding unreleased non-Caribou DW track in the vaults, so I would think it's likely that they would release that over any other (unless they add all their own vocals to the currently vocal-less "I've Got A Friend") , and I'm thinking they would be inclined to bolster it with their vocals.   In your opinion, would that tread on the sanctity of the track, or would it be OK (provided, of course, it sounded good...and given the quality of vocal arrangements & performances on the new album, I'm inclined to think it would).

It would be a completely f***ing insane idea. Brian & Carl's existing bvs are stellar. "(WIBNT)LA" belongs - unimproved - on either a deluxe reissue of Surf's Up or a new archive release - not a new BB album. They did that, I'd rip them a righteous and entirely deserved new one.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:31:35 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: July 05, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »

quite a drop to 45 on this morning Billboard charts for the album; is top 50 at week 4 still pretty good?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4120 on: July 05, 2012, 10:37:05 AM »

Small problem. No vocals. No one - lead, backing, demo, scratch. Nada.  Cracking track, mind.

Andrew, what's your opinion if they were to add current-day backing vocals to Dennis' track "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" for release on the next album?  That's the most outstanding unreleased non-Caribou DW track in the vaults, so I would think it's likely that they would release that over any other (unless they add all their own vocals to the currently vocal-less "I've Got A Friend") , and I'm thinking they would be inclined to bolster it with their vocals.   In your opinion, would that tread on the sanctity of the track, or would it be OK (provided, of course, it sounded good...and given the quality of vocal arrangements & performances on the new album, I'm inclined to think it would).

It would be a completely f***ing insane idea. Brian & Carl's existing bvs are stellar. "(WIBNT)LA" belongs - unimproved - on either a deluxe reissue of Surf's Up or a new archive release - not a new BB album. They did that, I'd rip them a righteous and entirely deserved new one.

Well then, let's hope they don't!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: July 05, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »

Anyone notice the similarities between the SMiLE cover artwork the cover artwork for TWGMTR?

(The waves on the Smile Shop banner)

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: July 05, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »

http://www.buzzinemusic.com/reviews/music-review-the-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio-07052012

has anyone posted this review yet? it's very positive and accurate in its critical assessments. No, the professor did not write it.. . . . . .
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4123 on: July 05, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »

Anyone notice the similarities between the SMiLE cover artwork the cover artwork for TWGMTR?

(The waves on the Smile Shop banner)

Those 'waves' are a shop awning.  Grin

halblaineisgood
« Reply #4124 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »

So...

still no vinyl yet on this one?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx