gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:49:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055840 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: May 15, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

To me, the vocals on this record sound more naturalistic than the 85 album, where every single vocal part sounds like it was shoved through a Fairlight. I can hear the processing on the new tunes, but it isn't egregious to my ears.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: May 15, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

I wonder why they didn't take Adrian Baker's vocals off "Daybreak over the ocean" and record new ones. Or did they do that only letting Baker's voice stay in ?

I said the same thing in the Amazon clip thread.  So far my only real complaint on the album.  Like that C. Love is on there, but that would have been a great place to also add M. Jardine.   Adrian Baker  is just going to stick out like a really sore and infected thumb on this thing  

You really can't pick out Adrian's voice by the way so I wouldn't worry too much. The harmonies on Mike's version of Daybreak are really nice.  Smiley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: May 15, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »

yeah i only clicked on a couple, the only one that i was taken aback by was "from there and back", i was expecting a more "naked" vocal track i suppose.  I'm sure the quality is making it worse.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: May 15, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »

It may be quite easy to forget the main thing here. The Beach Boys are back together making music, enjoying it and giving us some original songs to add to the hundreds of others we have the pleasure of listening to.  

Ok, so songs may not be to everyone's tastes but come on, a lot of us would have never had thought we would be writing about these songs!

My personal faves (so far) are Think About the Days, From There To Back Again, Pacific Coast Highway (lovely harmonies and chords - would have been perfect for Carl!) and Summer's Gone (very Pet Sounds but a fitting end.....).

I'm a very happy young BB fan today.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: May 15, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »

I wonder why they didn't take Adrian Baker's vocals off "Daybreak over the ocean" and record new ones. Or did they do that only letting Baker's voice stay in ?

I said the same thing in the Amazon clip thread.  So far my only real complaint on the album.  Like that C. Love is on there, but that would have been a great place to also add M. Jardine.   Adrian Baker  is just going to stick out like a really sore and infected thumb on this thing  

You really can't pick out Adrian's voice by the way so I wouldn't worry too much. The harmonies on Mike's version of Daybreak are really nice.  Smiley

Fair enough, thanks.  The idea of it still hurts my ears a little, though

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: May 15, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »

And yes, I appreciated your posts directing us to the record room. Great stuff over there.

Cool. Thank you.

Looks very interesting!  I am going to sign up fir it tonight!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: May 15, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »

Why is it every time I take a day or week off from reading this board that something BIG happens? And what is it with all of you folks who read and post here every blooming day? How in the name of God do you do it? How do you have time to, you know, live your lives and stuff? I will never understand.

Anyway, rant over. I just now listened to these clips and wanted to respond before becoming infected by the backlash and negativity that is inevitably contained in the pages I haven’t read yet (I’m on page 87).

BEAUTIFUL stuff.

Think About The Days: I am shocked, actually, I never expected anything this sensitive, delicate and toned just right. If you think about it, 1985 was the last time that ALL surviving members of the group came together and offered up an original artistic statement of some kind. That’s 26 years ago. This intro to me feels perfectly pitched to open things up after such a long gap. It may not be as compositionally eloquent as “Our Prayer” perhaps (but then, what is?), but I imagine it’s just as effective in its context.

Spring Vacation: LOVE it. It feels like a commercial, with leprechauns splashing around or something, far removed from whatever it advertises, just the echo of a form of something real, but in its wake comes rejuvenation. A real result. Like an “ahhh” after a drink of water. I have no problems with the lyrics. Since their first album on, the Beach Boys have been a billboard for a land that’s “merely” a theme park. The latter-day sum-sum-summer clichés are just a natural extension of that for me, and they work, in the context of these Men/Boys valiantly struggling to reconcile the real with the ideal. Some of my brightest days have been spent at theme parks after all. I love Brian’s swoopy “hallelujah” – some brilliant, goofy phrasing there. I do have to say, though, I HATE the guitar solo. That kind of guitar wankery – that and cheesy sax – those are two things I cannot stomach. But I can forgive. I embrace the positivity. I feel the Love.

Love it, Catbirdman! You should be writing the sleeve notes!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: May 15, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »

Based on these samples, perhaps an award for Most Inappropriate Use of Autotune As Effect should be given to From There To Back Again.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2558 on: May 15, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »

I have a question for Sir AGD,

I know you've been championing from there and back again, does al sound as robotic on the album? or is it just the amazon.com quality.  That has me scratching my head a bit

Yes, noticed it straight away. And ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: May 15, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »

Lads, the amazon samples is up thread is concurrent with this one; ought they be merged?  I will not paste my post here as well, but I did write there about the samples, qv.

Ought we only now post here to unify the thread?

I have all the songs in my head; this is a grand and absolute success.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »

With the Adrian Baker talk, this might be a good opportunity to remember how far we've come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNV-eve42M0&feature=
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:24:45 PM by littlepad » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2561 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »

With the Adrian Baker talk, this might be a good opportunity to remember how far we've come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNV-eve42M0&feature=

Excellent ! I hate it !

And remember this is the kind of stuff that we'd (or some of us) expected Mike to come up with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx3kYj0AsDA&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »

I do find the fact that Joe Thomas' name is all over the thing slightly more worrying, but a good half the songs on Imagination were decent to good, so that could still be OK. The credits for Peterik and Bon Jovi are frankly scary, though.

I don't fully understand my own reaction at the developments thus far: looking at past prejudices, I SHOULDN'T like the production. I SHOULD be trembling over the names in the credits. I SHOULD be reeling from the lyrics in "Spring Vacation." But I’m really, really not.

“Imagination” was far from a personal favorite, but I just have this feeling that in this context – getting the old gang back together, owning the 50 fractured years for better or worse, owning the myth and the identity – the aesthetic will be right. Based on what I’ve heard/read, I expect nothing like the nadir of “Sunshine,” a few exceptional songs and moments, and an overall bed of achy/celebratory goo. A bit slick maybe, but RIGHT for the Beach Boys. At least that’s my gut feeling – hopefully I won’t be disappointed.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

I have a question for Sir AGD,

I know you've been championing from there and back again, does al sound as robotic on the album? or is it just the amazon.com quality.  That has me scratching my head a bit

Yes, noticed it straight away. And ?

nothing else, if everyone is still saying it's great, then i'll wait and hear the whole thing
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:52 PM »

Dear god...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: May 15, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »

Excellent ! I hate it !

And remember this is the kind of stuff that we'd (or some of us) expected Mike to come up with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx3kYj0AsDA&feature=related
[/

Yep, that's the voice I never  want to hear again. That is the one.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:36:41 PM by southbay » Logged

Paulos
« Reply #2566 on: May 15, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »

Dear god, that was freaking terrible! Listening to Baker's 'falsetto' is the aural equivalent of being slapped square in the balls.

I had to put my post above the quote as the quote function seems to have gone all whackadoodle.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:38:47 PM by Paulos » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: May 15, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

Dear god, that was freaking terrible! Listening to Baker's 'falsetto' is the aural equivalent of being slapped square in the balls.

Matt Jardine set us free in 1993. Literally set us free.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: May 15, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

something funky with the quote box going on here

anders wyller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »

According to amazon.jp the bonus track on the japanese edition is Revival of Love (2012 Version) - do I read japanese? No. Google translate usually does.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: May 15, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »

According to amazon.jp the bonus track on the japanese edition is Revival of Love (2012 Version) - do I read japanese? No. Google translate usually does.
It's most likely Do It Again.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: May 15, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

i think it was translated by people here and it was "do it again"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2572 on: May 15, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »

But man, saying you don't appreciate reading someone else's opinions, calling them ungrateful and telling him not to share them is not respectful in any manner. I do not understand why folks think because they may not use profanity, that their passive-aggressive insults are any less offensive.

i'm not being passive aggressive at all.  I said he was being ungrateful, nothing passive aggressive about that.  Also nothing passive aggressive about not wanting to hear pouting.  I'm being straight forward about this without having to call someone names.  He's free to post whatever he likes, my initial response to him wasn't some long rant, i let it go.  I personally think name-calling is really low, so I try not to do that because I don't know any of you guys.  

There is no difference in offense between calling someone a "name" and telling them their opinion is unwelcome. The type of person who would not agree is someone who wants to be able to say anything they want to others, and not get called on it. That is an Internet phenomenon. Language matters less than intention.

That's fine if that's what you think

In fact, my point was proved by the effect upon IHA of what you said. HE gets to decide the impact of your words, not you. You just want to say otherwise because you want people to like you. I don't, therefore I'm truthful about what I say.

hey, can you guys all take your fight outside?

I'm not fighting, mate. Thanks.

Can you take whatever you want to call this that is distracting from the actual thread outside?

Did you read the part of the conversation that involved Iron Horse-Apples and Runaways? Address that. That was the fight.
I provided a place to find out some of the cool info discussed on this thread. Don't tell me to take anything anywhere. I've been on point in this thread since I joined in.

Hey, Billy, a little help over here?

Billy's a great guy. I'm sure he can see where the problem was.

This thread is for discussing the album, that's all I'm Im asking.  Lets discuss the album , not the language or intentions of other posters.  Do that in pm's.  

100% agreed. At this point, I could give two shits about who started it, just that it gets finished and doesn't end up on the board anymore.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SBonilla
« Reply #2573 on: May 15, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »

"Spring Vacation" seems to borrow a bit of Elton John's "Tiny Dancer".

Ex-CUSE me ? It resembles "TD", even passingly, about as much as "The Star Spangled Banner" sounds like "4.33".
Good one.
Seconded, that was a hilarious response Andrew. Incidentally I think "The Star Spangled Banner" nicks much more from John Lennon's "Two Minutes Silence" than it ever did from "4:33."
You haven't heard the 4 track demo, then.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2574 on: May 15, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »

Good fuckin' gravy, that's horrible. I'd rather swallow a gallon of gasoline, get set on fire, and have my ashes snorted by Keith Richards than ever be subjected to that again.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx