gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:21:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Press Release - 2/8/12  (Read 11757 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:42:21 AM »

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-beach-boys-to-reunite-on-the-grammy-stage-and-join-with-grammy-nominees-foster-the-people-and-maroon-5-for-a-special-performance-138937319.html
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:53:18 AM »

What does that mean they will join with Maroon 5 and that other band ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »

What does that mean they will join with Maroon 5 and that other band ?

It means they will join with Maroon 5 and Foster the People for a song or medley.  Typical Grammy cheese.

I'll still watch it.  I'm from Wisconsin.  I love cheese.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:56:40 AM by LostArt » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »

Foster The People, are they from Foster's Freeze, maybe? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »

Foster the people actually aren't too bad a band to be squeezed into a grammy cheese event.
Their hit song from last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLzX0RPquk
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:01:02 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »

It'll be interesting to see what they're going to do together.  Will it be a medley of Beach Boys hits performed by all three bands (individually? together?)?  Will it be each band doing their own songs in some sort of Frankenstein medley?  As usual, I can't make too much sense of these three particular groups performing together.  Is it because all three groups are 'pop' groups?  Who thinks up stuff like this?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:19:30 AM »

Oh no

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
jardine (no relation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »

just a wee flutter by of butterflies, with a side dish of oh my. In other words, a wee bit more worried than before. Luckily I've had no TV connection since last September, so I can hear about it first and optionally Youtube it later. on the face of it, this doesn't sound good to me
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »

Oh no, I despise Maroon 5. I hope they are off in the back in the shadows. I don't get them being in this pairing.

The pairing with Foster the People ("that other band" with a song that has 64,000,000+ views on youtube which got to #3 on the Billboard top 100 with a #8 top 200 debut album) will be interesting. They are an indie band who uses a lot of electronics, but have turned their songs into acoustics also. Mark Foster is a huge fan of Brian and Pet Sounds, so I can see them bowing to whatever the Boys want to do.

Maroon 5, though? Ugh. I'm sickened.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »

If it's like last year's show (which teamed Bob Dylan with Mumford & Sons and the Avett Brothers), the newer bands will each get a song and the Beach Boys will join everyone for a classic hit.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »

Oh well, it was always a possibility. At least someone has confirmed the group.....

*resists urge to howl 'MAROON 5? ARE YOU JOKING?' at the moon*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »

This can't come as a big surprise. Pairing old over-the-hill acts with newer more relevant acts is what the Grammys usually does, i.e. their modus operandi.  Foster the People are a very good modern pop band and Maroon 5 does some OK stuff too, e.g. Little Of Your Time and Sunday Morning. I think Adam Levine is a great singer and performer though I confess I don't like everything Maroon 5 does. All three groups were formed in the Los Angeles area. I say, if their point is to introduce the Beach Boys to a new generation, then this pairing does more to help The Beach Boys image than hurt it.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »

As much as I HATE Maroon 5, I could die a happy man if they were to perform "Moves Like Jagger" with Mike doing his cod Mick Jagger dance moves on stage.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:28 AM »

Aaah...  crap.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »

Seeing Maroon 5 and Foster the People as performing with the BB, I can only say that I closed my eyes and I have already seen how this predictable and lame performance is going to sound... Watch out for a bland performance of (probably) "Surfing U.S.A.".  Cry
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »

This kind of ruins it for me. Please leave the mediocre bands in the audience NOT on stage with the legends.

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

This kind of ruins it for me. Please leave the mediocre bands in the audience NOT on stage with the legends.

Me too man. Maybe Mike Love will do some dance moves during moves like Jagger in a Turban  LOL

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »

There's at least one more perfect example of pairing the old with the new this year with Glen Campbell appearing with Blake Shelton and The Band Perry.

Sure wish the old-timers could get their few moments of recognition by themselves, but it's clear that the Grammys, the Super Bowl show, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
are all geared toward the younger viewers. Guess we have to be content with getting to see them at all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:00:06 AM by SonoraDick » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »

("that other band" with a song that has 64,000,000+ views on youtube which got to #3 on the Billboard top 100 with a #8 top 200 debut album)

Never heard of them. I don't care for Youtube-stats but if they are good, then I mght check them out.

I like much of Maroon 5's stuff. I hate "Move like Jagger". But something like "Won't go home without you" has a certain Beach Boy-vibe to it imo.
I hope that this is the only collaboration kind of thing for the 50h ann. celebration. I could live with that.

Maybe the bands will do an opening medley. Foster the people play a song, then Maroon 5 and then the Beach Boys come on or something to that effect. Of course our boys have to be the headliner so to speak.

EDIT:
Just youtubed Foster The People and I have heard "Pump...." before. Kinda liked it's "old" sound but I thought the singing was not harmonious enough.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:12:35 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »

("that other band" with a song that has 64,000,000+ views on youtube which got to #3 on the Billboard top 100 with a #8 top 200 debut album)

Never heard of them. I don't care for Youtube-stats but if they are good, then I mght check them out.

I like much of Maroon 5's stuff. I hate "Move like Jagger". But something like "Won't go home without you" has a certain Beach Boy-vibe to it imo.
I hope that this is the only collaboration kind of thing for the 50h ann. celebration. I could live with that.

Maybe the bands will do an opening medley. Foster the people play a song, then Maroon 5 and then the Beach Boys come on or something to that effect. Of course our boys have to be the headliner so to speak.

EDIT:
Just youtubed Foster The People and I have heard "Pump...." before. Kinda liked it's "old" sound but I thought the singing was not harmonious enough.

I just think FTP will be a good compliment being as their leader and song writer is a Beach Boy fanboy.

I, like you, don't care for youtube stats either, just thought it was mentionable that it had 64M hits. #3 Billboard top 100 song and #8 Billboard top 200 album means something, though, especially for the debut of an indie band.

This is their best three song stretch on the album for me, give it a listen (or not Wink ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbEVzpdOlVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOIfNyBmZ0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHXXZP2L7w
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »

Adam Levine has the potential to sing, competently, any Beach Boys song. 

Just sayin'. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:54 AM »

EDIT:

I just think FTP will be a good compliment being as their leader and song writer is a Beach Boy fanboy.

I, like you, don't care for youtube stats either, just thought it was mentionable that it had 64M hits. #3 Billboard top 100 song and #8 Billboard top 200 album means something, though, especially for the debut of an indie band.

This is their best three song stretch on the album for me, give it a listen (or not Wink ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbEVzpdOlVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOIfNyBmZ0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHXXZP2L7w

I'd like to, but youtube won't let me watch it here in Germany. I'll keep my ears open though for Foster the people.

- Jack Rieley
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »

I'm gonna be childish here and say this ruins the entire purpose of the reunion.

IT'S A FREAKING REUNION OF A BAND. NOT BAND(S)

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:31 PM »

alright
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:09:15 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »

This is what the Grammys are like, folks. Has nothing to do with the band's decisions -- BOB DYLAN had to appear with younger acts to perform live at the show last year. Wrap your head around that. An undeniable icon like Dylan was still forced to perform as part of a larger group.

I had imagined the group wearing suits and tastefully performing a tasteful version of 'Good Vibrations' to prime-time America.

Heh.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx