gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681302 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 12:28:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 130296 times)
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 15, 2012, 05:18:44 AM »

I'd prefer to buy unreleased studio/live material than re-issues of albums I already have on cd and vinyl.

I do like the idea someone mentioned of releasing some deluxe versions of albums like Sunflower, Holland, etc. As long as there is enough extra material to make it worthwhile of course.
PhilCohen
« Reply #651 on: May 28, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »

If you're wondering why I've been absent, it is because I've been worn down and defeated by the Wall of Secrecy. There's nothing more to say. If you guys want to continue dreaming, I guess there's no harm in that.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 28, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »

We're merely speculating about the releases that will be coming later this year. That's all.

Oh, and how did that new BB studio album that couldn't possibly appear on June 5 work out, Phil?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »

If you're wondering why I've been absent, it is because I've been worn down and defeated by the Wall of Secrecy. There's nothing more to say. If you guys want to continue dreaming, I guess there's no harm in that.
I dont give a fying f*** why you have been absent. Us guys and girls will continue dreaming and said dreams will become real once more.
Smile-check.New Album-check.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
PhilCohen
« Reply #654 on: May 28, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »

We're merely speculating about the releases that will be coming later this year. That's all.

Oh, and how did that new BB studio album that couldn't possibly appear on June 5 work out, Phil?

I'm not saying that the new album won't be good(I haven't heard any of it yet, so I don't know), but whatever its merits, it isn't archival material.
Maybe Capitol & The Beach Boys are waiting for people to stop caring about the archival material, so that there will no longer be any demand for it, and they can then get away with releasing nothing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 28, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »

Did someone break wind?

“We live in divisive times.”
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 28, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »

Personally if I had a choice between the stereo masters and the original Brian Wilson Mono mixes I would choose the original mono mixes just because we haven't got them yet (in full),of course I'm hoping they do both..
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 28, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »

That's pretty much exactly what you said a year ago, right down to calling anyone who wasn't exactly like you a "dreamer."

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 28, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »

"Dreamer" is cool. Lately, all of my dreams have come true. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 28, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »

I'm not saying that the new album won't be good(I haven't heard any of it yet, so I don't know), but whatever its merits, it isn't archival material.
Maybe Capitol & The Beach Boys are waiting for people to stop caring about the archival material, so that there will no longer be any demand for it, and they can then get away with releasing nothing.

Phil, will you admit you are wrong when the box set comes out this year?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: May 28, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »

Phil, will you admit you are wrong when the box set comes out this year?

never!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 28, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23IFMZBFFoY
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 29, 2012, 04:41:15 AM »

Or maybe they're waiting until all of the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted before making an announcement about something that is still being tweaked.  Perhaps they're still working on the tracklist.  Perhaps they're waiting on artwork or liner notes...whatever.  It doesn't make sense to announce something now if the plans are to, say, take advantage of the Christmas buying season and release the thing in November.  They just released an expensive box set last fall.  They're releasing a new album that they want to push right now.  Marketing costs money, which the record labels don't have much of these days.  Also, the general public's memory is short these days with all of the electronic media we're bombarded with on a daily basis.  Maybe, just maybe, the plan is to sell as many units of TWGMTR as they can before they start confusing people with news of another new Beach Boys product.  It's all about timing.  Space the releases out, let folks absorb each new release for awhile, and then hit us with the big marketing push for the next one a month or two before it's release (which I predict will be the career-spanning box set sometime this fall).  That's plenty enough time to get the general public interested in another new expensive product.  People on message boards such as this one are likely going to buy the thing whenever it gets released (or not, I guess).  I don't care right now about a tracklist for something that is coming out, say, 4 or 5 months from now.  Right now, I'm all excited about buying a brand new Beach Boys album in a week.  I've not heard a note, except for TWGMTR (the song), and I'm pretty frickin' excited about that right now.  Then, in a month or so from now, I'm going to see them live.  The Beach Boys will be playing for me.  Isn't that awesome, Phil?  Isn't this a frickin' great time to be a Beach Boys fan, Phil?  Soak it all in.  Be happy.  We'll get the next announcement when things are ready to be announced.  Every time the Beach Boys announce a new product, I find myself typing this word on this board.  PATIENCE.

Have a nice day, Phil, would ya?  I checked the news this morning, and the sky isn't going to fall. 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #663 on: May 29, 2012, 07:23:41 AM »

If you're wondering why I've been absent...

I'll stop you there - we haven't. In fact, we've been rejoicing in your absence and the delightful atmosphere that results.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 29, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »

Seriously Phil, aren't you happy that The Beach Boys have a brand new album coming out in a week? Isn't that awesome?

And aren't you excited that the greatest hits album that you had your panties in a wad about is also coming out soon? With some new, unreleased stuff on there!

And then, on top of that we are getting a brand new box set, which will probably contain the very best unreleased archival material that they've got. Is that good, or no?

Because, ya know, like, every band puts out a long awaited album both in a two disc and five-disc version, a brand new studio album, a hits album that also features new songs, and also a career spanning box set within a year. Right? Oh wait, no they don't!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 29, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »

I don't even know this Phil character and I can't believe people here are actually addressing him and trying to talk some sense into him.  He's a lost cause.  There's no one on this or any other site who is going to spoil this for me. 
PhilCohen
« Reply #666 on: May 29, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »

As of mid-June, the latest "Wall of Secrecy" has lasted six months(by contrast, the "Wall of Secrecy" during the wait for the "Smile Sessions" box lasted five months). At what point do you guys think that there would be reason for concern about the fate of the box set and "commemorative releases" ? At what point does "Dreaming" turn to "Discouragement" or "Dismay"?
PhilCohen
« Reply #667 on: May 29, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »

.......and the sky isn't going to fall. 

No, the sky isn't going to fall, but I'd rather have the archival product than not have it. As for the reunion album, I preordered it. I hope it's good.
PhilCohen
« Reply #668 on: May 29, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »

And aren't you excited that the greatest hits album that you had your panties in a wad about is also coming out soon? With some new, unreleased stuff on there!

At one point, Mr.Doe hinted at a 50-song hits set(something that neither The Beach Boys or Capitol ever officially confirmed), but where did you get the information that this project is back on again, and specifically that it will contain unreleased material?

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 29, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »

As of mid-June, the latest "Wall of Secrecy" has lasted six months(by contrast, the "Wall of Secrecy" during the wait for the "Smile Sessions" box lasted five months). At what point do you guys think that there would be reason for concern about the fate of the box set and "commemorative releases" ? At what point does "Dreaming" turn to "Discouragement" or "Dismay"?
In Australia we have certain traits or characteristics. One trait is telling people exactly how we feel. We also have different terms for various types of people. We would classify you as a 100% certified f*cking Wanker!! Why continue with this crap Phil, are you that f*cked in the head? On a scale of zero to one hundred (0-100) your credibility is ZERO (0) and Andrews is one hundred (100)! He is respected, you are not! His posts are factual, yours are not! GO AWAY..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:41:22 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 29, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »

The Good Vibrations has been "temporarily out of stock" on Amazon for the past few months. Now it is "unavailable" on Amazon. I take that as a good sign. Capitol would not stop production of that box set during this tour and media hype unless they were getting ready to release something in it's place.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 29, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »

The Good Vibrations has been "temporarily out of stock" on Amazon for the past few months. Now it is "unavailable" on Amazon. I take that as a good sign. Capitol would not stop production of that box set during this tour and media hype unless they were getting ready to release something in it's place.

It's a trick on the eyes, like 3D TV glasses.
PhilCohen
« Reply #672 on: May 29, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »

Alright dreamers: keep on dreamin'

There's no further point(at the present time) visiting here.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 29, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »

At one point, Mr.Doe hinted at a 50-song hits set(something that neither The Beach Boys or Capitol ever officially confirmed), but where did you get the information that this project is back on again, and specifically that it will contain unreleased material?

In the latest issue of the Endless Summer Quarterly, which confirmed both the hits album (with new songs) and the box set, along with That's Why God Made the Radio.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 29, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »

In the latest issue of the Endless Summer Quarterly, which confirmed both the hits album (with new songs) and the box set, along with That's Why God Made the Radio.

What are the new songs ? stuff that didn't made the album or unreleased material ?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx