gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:40:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 129661 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 23, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »

Yeah they are Phil. Because the reunion is something I've wanted for a long time, and to have them releasing a brand new studio album around seven months after the release of The SMiLE Sessions is mindblowing. Brian with The Beach Boys is always something I will listen intently for, and if the new "Do It Again" is the only good thing that comes from it, that is ok. Because that was awesome, and I'm sure there will be other great new songs. Maybe not an album packed full of great songs, but I think we're gonna get some more Beach Boys classics from Brian.

And on the archival front, "Where Is She", Brian's 1974 "California Feelin'" recording, and "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" are likely coming soon, I hope. That is worth it to me. If just those three songs came out, that would be enough for me. I love this band, and I'm sure I'll get some spiritual satisfaction from hearing more music from Brian and the guys. So yes, its worth it, Phil.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 23, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »

Hey, until I have Summer in Paradise on either vinyl or a two-fer with Stars N Stripes, I will never be happy!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 23, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »

Is what we're being put through(to extract a reunion album & archival projects from The Beach Boys) really worth it? There's no doubt that the best Beach Boys songs and versions are already in our hands, and we've now got the most sought item(the Smile recordings).
Wall Dead Horse Thud

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 23, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »

Is what we're being put through(to extract a reunion album & archival projects from The Beach Boys) really worth it? There's no doubt that the best Beach Boys songs and versions are already in our hands, and we've now got the most sought item(the Smile recordings).
Alright, what would the BBs do in your perfect world?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: April 23, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »

WE are not being put through anything - you're torturing yourself (and pissing us off into the bargain) with delusions that something everyone here but you wants won't happen. This may come as a shock to you, but The BB, and especially the C50 junket, aren't my sole preoccupation right now: I have a job that while agreeable calls on me to work  a 13-hour day at least once a week, currently dodgy health, pressing financial problems and some other stuff. The Beach Boys come some way down the list. This place used to be a respite from all that, but since you've cropped up again like an unlanced boil, it's not so much fun any more. You don't see what's wrong with what you're doing, so I'll say it again: you're a clinically sick person who needs urgent treatment. And yes, banning.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:35:37 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #555 on: April 23, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »

Hey, until I have Summer in Paradise on either vinyl or a two-fer with Stars N Stripes, I will never be happy!
I have a vinyl Summer In Paradise!
PhilCohen
« Reply #556 on: April 23, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »

Alright, what would the BBs do in your perfect world?

For starters, reveal a title, track list & artwork for the reunion album, so that the people preordering from Amazon & other online dealers can get a general idea what they are preordering. Then confirm whether some or any of the archival products will be released this year, and give us some partial information what those projects are.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 23, 2012, 11:32:59 PM »

Billy if you read this, please ban this f.ucking idiot.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: April 23, 2012, 11:35:20 PM »

WE are not being put through anything - you're torturing yourself (and pissing us off into the bargain) with delusions that something everyone here but you wants won't happen. This may come as a shock to you, but The BB, and especially the C50 junket, aren't my sole preoccupation right now: I have a job that while agreeable calls on me to work  a 13-hour day at least once a week, currently dodgy health, pressing financial problems and some other stuff. The Beach Boys come some way down the list. This place used to be a respite from all that, but since you've cropped up again like an unlanced boil, it's not so much fun any more. You don't see what's wrong with what you're doing, so I'll say it again: you're a clinically sick person who needs urgent treatment. And yes, banning.

Just an observation:  Why are we so invested in what one person has to say?  Why do we feel so threatened by his pessimistic comments; especially since most of them have been proven to be bunk?  Which is why Phil don't bother me none.  He wants to think the Earth is flat?  Let 'im.  I ain't losin' any sleep over it.   Listening

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: April 23, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »

Because it's disruptive, like a bad smell returning, like the tramp on the street always trying to hit on you for some change to buy more drink: we have a good thread going then this attention-seeking f*ckwit turns up... and I know, don't read him - tricky, as there's no 'ignore' function to blank out his drivel.

One thing I do find amusing, if not downright ironic, is that someone involved in the bootlegging industry is badmouthing a legit record company so much.

PhilCohen
« Reply #560 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:24 PM »

Because it's disruptive, like a bad smell returning, like the tramp on the street always trying to hit on you for some change to buy more drink: we have a good thread going then this attention-seeking f*ckwit turns up... and I know, don't read him - tricky, as there's no 'ignore' function to blank out his drivel.

One thing I do find amusing, if not downright ironic, is that someone involved in the bootlegging industry is badmouthing a legit record company so much.

Wait a second. I've never been involved in the manufacture of any bootleg CD.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: April 24, 2012, 12:51:05 AM »

Really ?  From here: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=702

"This two-CD “Smile” set is one of my greatest CD creations."

Your being a 'legger doesn't concern me, but the hypocrisy does.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:55:21 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 24, 2012, 01:26:35 AM »

Wait a second. I've never been involved in the manufacture of any bootleg CD.

Phil - I don't know you from Adam but any idiot can see the new album; tour; commemorative releases; have been meticulously planned and in the works for a long, long time.  And AGD has been in on it from the start, dropping subtle hints and clues as to what's up. This is like someone arguing with George Martin about the bass track on "Penny Lane".

I've had my share of dust-ups with AGD (and made my share of idiotic arguments) but your relentless 'doubting thomas' posts just make you look stupid!
Why don't you give it a rest and come back when all the dust has settled (though I'd change my name on the board first if I were you, cause your gonna have egg all over your face-already do!).

If you are really a Beach Boy fan, you should just sit back and enjoy this "last, long ride". Surf's Up!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: April 24, 2012, 01:31:56 AM »

AGD has been in on it from the start, dropping subtle hints and clues as to what's up.

Subtle ? Moi ??

Some mistake, surely.

PhilCohen
« Reply #564 on: April 24, 2012, 01:50:58 AM »

There is a difference between making material available to another collector, which that other collector then(initially without my knowledge, since they didn't get it directly from me) puts onto the internet as a free download, versus being a participant in the pressing or sale of an actual physical disc bootleg CD, which is then sold for profit.

AND, GO TO THAT LINK. IT SAYS THAT THOSE TRACKS ARE "NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:55:39 AM by PhilCohen » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: April 24, 2012, 01:58:25 AM »

There is a difference between making material available to another collector, which that other collector then puts onto the internet as a free download, versus being a participant in the pressing or sale of an actual physical disc bootleg CD, which is then sold for profit.

You licensed those tracks from the copyright holders and paid the publishing ?  One-on-one tape/CDR/mp3 trading is one thing - we've all done that - but supplying the material, artwork and burning instructions to a site like that (and you're all over it offering not just BB material) and saying you're not involved in 'legging... like to see that one defended in court.  Grin

Reminds me of the folk who sold grape juice during prohibition, with specific instructions what NOT to do to allow it to ferment into wine.  LOL
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:02:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 24, 2012, 01:59:20 AM »

Really ?  From here: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=702

There is a difference between making material available to another collector, which that other collector then(initially without my knowledge, since they didn't get it directly from me) puts onto the internet as a free download, versus being a participant in the pressing or sale of an actual physical disc bootleg CD, which is then sold for profit.

AND, GO TO THAT LINK. IT SAYS THAT THOSE TRACKS ARE "NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD".

They were available for months.

In fact Andrew's point is, I believe, simply that they were available.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: April 24, 2012, 02:05:56 AM »

The links were active eight months ago, according to the comments.

PhilCohen
« Reply #568 on: April 24, 2012, 02:06:39 AM »

Really ?  From here: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=702

They were available for months.

In fact Andrew's point is, I believe, simply that they were available.

Until The Beach Boys offered "Smile" officially, "Smile"(as the most legendary unreleased album in pop music history) was fair game. That download spared many people from overpaying and getting loads of filler and poor sounding tracks. The download offered the best of what was then in circulation. Would you have preferred to have been unable to listen to "Smile" material between 1985 & 2011.The people that you call "bootleggers" kept interest in "Smile" alive for all these years, creating a market for an official set. Do think that if the material hadn't escaped into circulation, that The Beach Boys would have been willing to release it?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:12 AM »

Still available:

THE PHILIP COHEN COLLECTION: BEACH BOYS - SACRAMENTO 1964

THE PHILIP COHEN COLLECTION: BEACH BOYS - STEREO MIXES

THE PHILIP COHEN COLLECTION: BEACH BOYS - MICHIGAN 1966

THE PHILIP COHEN COLLECTION: BEACH BOYS - SEATTLE 1977

THE PHILIP COHEN COLLECTION: BREAKAWAY TO A BETTER LIFE

THE PHILIP COHEN COLLECTION: THE PET SOUNDS

THE PHILIP COHEN COLLECTION: SURFER’S MOOD

not to mention:

THE PHIL COHEN COLLECTION - THE VINYL HENDRIX

THE PHIL COHEN COLLECTION: PROCOL HARUM - WITH THE LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA 1973

THE PHIL COHEN COLLECTION: GENESIS - BIRMINGHAM 1998

THE PHIL COHEN COLLECTION: JEFF BECK - BBC 1971

All still available.

Not really knocking the practice – I love a boot as much as the next fan – but you're not in an unassailable position here.  It's because of stuff like this that the record companies tighten up security and drip-feed information rather than dolloping it around everywhere.

Quit moaning and get back to putting together a 50th selection of rarities to share on Big0, eh?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: April 24, 2012, 02:17:08 AM »

Would you have preferred to have been unable to listen to "Smile" material between 1985 & 2011.

30 minutes of previously unreleased Smile material was released on the 1993 box, with further odds & ends on Endless Harmony and Hawthorne CA in 1998 and 2001.

Further, I think you'll find the 2011 release had less to do with the boots being out there and more to do with an impending anniversary (oops, cat out of bag time - yes, the Smile release and the C50 events are all part of the same gameplan: who could have possibly guessed ?). The 1993 box was certainly informed by the then-available boots, I'll grant, but not last years big box.

PhilCohen
« Reply #571 on: April 24, 2012, 02:20:34 AM »

Quit moaning and get back to putting together a 50th selection of rarities to share on Big0, eh?

As for your request, I'll see what I can do(just joking!)

Anyhow, I've had enough of  people slinging mud at me here. I'm going to find other destinations on the internet, and do things that are more pleasurable.

Mr.Doe singles me out for criticism for so-called "bootlegging" but he doesn't criticize the so-called "fan mixers" who in many instances detrimentally altered the music; some of them even creating Hip-Hop "Mash-ups" of "Smile" music.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: April 24, 2012, 02:31:24 AM »

Mr.Doe singles me out for criticism for so-called "bootlegging" but he doesn't criticize the so-called "fan mixers" who in many instances detrimentally altered the music; some of them even creating Hip-Hop "Mash-ups" of "Smile" music.

You don't read my posts - if you did, you'd know that by and large, I detest such so-called mixes for being overwhelmingly clumsy and a travesty of the music presented, not to mention not being mixes at all, but rather fan mashups.

Hopefully this time you'll keep your promise to never darken our (metaphorical) doors again. But somehow, I doubt it. Still, any respite is welcome.  Wink

PhilCohen
« Reply #573 on: April 24, 2012, 02:46:06 AM »

And one last(important) note: anything recently being offered on the internet as being from "The Philip Cohen Collection" does NOT originate from my collection at all. My only service has been to pre-screen material to ensure that any tracks that are available officially get omitted from the download, and fans are instructed where to find those omitted tracks on officially released CD's.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57:38 AM »

Yet you've allowed it to be posted as "The Phil Cohen Collection". Can you say, 'disingenuous' ? I trust in the very near future this oversight will be rectified ?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx